The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 314

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• nickthegun 23 Sep 2012 09:34:36 58,782 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It had its moments. The episodes are mainly good with a few shit things in it. Last nights was pretty decent until the last 10 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Megapocalypse 23 Sep 2012 13:16:57 5,311 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting episode but crap ending. Also, why were Amy and Rory just standing around the Doctor on the spaceship when they could have been saving the other people who'd been taken?

Did make me look at my new clock I put up the other week though:

Edited by Megapocalypse at 16:28:29 23-09-2012
  • PhoenixFlames 23 Sep 2012 14:16:53 8,899 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just watched this. The idea had promise but the ending was the laziest piece of writing in the history of television. Proper shite.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• MatMan562 23 Sep 2012 14:24:48 2,310 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Someone's just pointed out that in a previous episode the Doctor mentioned Rory leaving his phone charger in Henry VIII's bedroom, and this week, they were in Henry VIII's bedroom.
    I also noticed that. It seems we're not seeing things in the "right" order. I'm guessing we wont get proper answers until whenever this series finishes next year. Unless it's something to do with the angels, they send people back in time so they could have done... something

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• RobAnybody 23 Sep 2012 16:21:39 881 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Is it just me or is this series proper shit?
    No, it's not just you.
  • mal 23 Sep 2012 16:34:21 22,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Meh, so far we're on a 50% hit rate this series in my book, which knocks last series out of the water already.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dan234 23 Sep 2012 17:21:48 2,232 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Someone's just pointed out that in a previous episode the Doctor mentioned Rory leaving his phone charger in Henry VIII's bedroom, and this week, they were in Henry VIII's bedroom.
    I also noticed that. It seems we're not seeing things in the "right" order. I'm guessing we wont get proper answers until whenever this series finishes next year. Unless it's something to do with the angels, they send people back in time so they could have done... something
    But it seems like from the intro at the start it sounds like they are simply sat there sometime in the future reminiscing about past adventures with the Doctor and are talking about that time that the Doctor stayed with them for a year, so this episode really takes place any time between the episode where the Doctor first met Rory's Dad till the episode where Henry VIII's bedroom was mentioned.

As for when they finally leave the Doctor, I thought the Weeping Angels might end up separating Amy from Rory, but that doesn't make much sense as the Doctor could just go and pick them up in the Tardis.

Edited by Dan234 at 17:23:26 23-09-2012
  • graysonavich 23 Sep 2012 17:34:29 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They really went out all out their Adobe After Effects lens flares this week eh!
  • mal 23 Sep 2012 18:19:13 22,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't forget that given Rory seems to be disappearing for months at a time, the Tardis' time circuits don't seem to be working on Earth (though I suspect that's just a plot failure).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• TOOTR 23 Sep 2012 18:47:20 9,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's pants if you stop to think about it.

But I enjoyed that - although I was half expecting Pond Sr to cop it - that would have given it some gravity!

Completely agree that there is no feeling of real jeopardy - still it's Dr Who and yes that doesn't 'excuse' it. It doesn't need excusing - not when Mat Smith was channeling a bit of Patrick Troughton and William Harnell here and there - it was great.

And Pond is well easy on the eye. Seriously. Seriously.

Even Rory isn't annoying these days.

Some stories with jeopardy would be nice but hey.

Growing up on classic who with multi-parters (albeit looking back there was a LOT of filler at times) makes me not enjoy these rush jobs but kids these days - they're not hiding behind the sofa watching who - they are half watching it whilst playing angry birds...

/grumbles about the good old days

I'm hoping the angels will be more chilling next week but....that trailer didn't give me much hope.

Still - hoping to be surprised.

/blogs

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 23 Sep 2012 18:48:32 9,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    They really went out all out their Adobe After Effects lens flares this week eh!
    Heh. You're not wrong :)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• nickthegun 23 Sep 2012 18:51:27 58,782 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Don't forget that given Rory seems to be disappearing for months at a time, the Tardis' time circuits don't seem to be working on Earth (though I suspect that's just a plot failure).
    Given that, in the space of one episode, they went away for seven weeks and came back to the same party while complaining about being gone for months at a time, yet going on about how they are ageing faster than their friends, I would say no one on the writing team really cares about time circuits.

Edited by nickthegun at 18:51:49 23-09-2012

He totally called it

• FalseAlibi 23 Sep 2012 19:22:54 89 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Also, when the plot is explained even a child would think 'thats a stupid plan, just carpet bomb the earth with anthrax'
    ..but as a plan to purely eliminate the humans, sending down multi-function recon probes to establish an effective kill route without collatoral damage and excecute said option it makes sense. Not that it'd be my first choice of attack, but short or human DNA specific genetic weapons (and and ability to deliver them to all humans) it's actually not bad. Especially if you happen to have the cubes to hand...

ending was a bit week mind.
  • Bremenacht 23 Sep 2012 19:35:35 17,613 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't think of many Who episodes that weren't resolved via WWTM or Sonic-Screwdriver-Jiggery-Pokery. Enjoy the ride and don't worry about the resolution. This week's ride was very good.
  • varsas 23 Sep 2012 19:41:11 2,401 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed the episode and have enjoyed this season for its simplicity and consistency; I think it's probably been my favourite Matt Smith season, previous ones have felt more haphazard.
  • nickthegun 23 Sep 2012 19:46:21 58,782 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FalseAlibi wrote:
    ..sending down multi-function recon probes to establish an effective kill route without collatoral damage and excecute said option it makes sense
    An effective kill route that was completely reversed within 15 minutes?

Yes, I know its a massive and largely redundant nit pick of a kids show and tea time tv isnt going to show the population of earth decimated by biological warfare but its difficult to imagine anything that could have been less effective.

I suppose its kind of logical in that you need to raise the stakes (third of the population dead) and then you need to reset that very quickly (third of the population not dead) and that was quite an easy way to do it.

Edited by nickthegun at 19:48:42 23-09-2012

He totally called it

• BinaryBob101 23 Sep 2012 19:51:57 22,290 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It had its moments. The episodes are mainly good with a few shit things in it. Last nights was pretty decent until the last 10 minutes.
    That's been the story of Doctor Who since it started, something a lot of folk seem to forget.

Beautiful tender beings.

• FalseAlibi 23 Sep 2012 20:04:07 89 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @nickthegun - well it was successful (first wave taking out 1/3 of the population with follow up waves to come). It was only reversed by having access to the very same powerful network of devices and their diverse capabilities.

That the worm holes needed to exist / there was no real security / the appropriate action to reverse could be inputted so quickly however was the flaw in the evil plan / evil administration.

That the reversal technique was silly and wouldn't work in the slightest is the flaw in the plot however.

But I still thought it was a solid episode and so far the series as a whole has been good.
  • FalseAlibi 23 Sep 2012 20:07:05 89 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As a rule though - I don't like the episodes where all of contemporary Earth is in danger, everyone is aware of the threat and a big RTD style reset is needed at the end to reverse a major event.

At least the reset was only flawed and rushed, instead of being a complete deus ex machina.
  • nickthegun 23 Sep 2012 20:09:12 58,782 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    That's been the story of Doctor Who since it started, something a lot of folk seem to forget.
    I don't know about that. The recent era has been largely even but there were some proper, proper stinkers in rtds reign.

Although, yes, it's been like tht forever. Some runs have been largely successful but some have been shite.

He totally called it

• BinaryBob101 29 Sep 2012 18:41:27 22,290 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    40 minutes till the Pond's demise!

Looking forward to this one.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 18:41:39 29-09-2012

Beautiful tender beings.

• MatMan562 29 Sep 2012 20:15:52 2,310 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :cry:

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• jonsaan 29 Sep 2012 20:18:05 25,326 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sad to see Amy go. Very happy to see the back of Rory. Fun episode.

FCUTA!

• Ged42 29 Sep 2012 20:20:05 7,700 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    An interesting way of offing them, totally didn't make me cry though... not in the slightest

/sniffle
  • Spong 29 Sep 2012 20:55:24 525 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Their ending was a bit of a damp squib if I'm honest. I felt more for the Doctor than I did for Amy & Rory.

What I think would've made it all the more bittersweet is if they didn't show Amy's name on the gravestone. They shouldn't have shown the gravestone at all after she disappeared. They were all so up in the air as to what would happen to her that I think leaving her fate unknown would've been much darker. She makes the ultimate sacrifice, and we never know if it worked. They should've just had an ambiguous reaction shot of the Doctor as he looked at the gravestone.

Edited by Spong at 20:56:40 29-09-2012
  • spamdangled 29 Sep 2012 21:12:06 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I enjoyed. The strongest one this year I thought.

Btw, is it me or has there been a lot of references to "chin" this year?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RobAnybody 29 Sep 2012 21:41:46 881 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bag of bollox. And had about as many holes as a slice of Swiss Cheese.

For example, what about River's Vortex Manipulator? Why wasn't that used to rescue Rory?
  • M83J01P97 29 Sep 2012 21:45:34 6,538 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Bag of bollox. And had about as many holes as a slice of Swiss Cheese.

For example, what about River's Vortex Manipulator? Why wasn't that used to rescue Rory?
    I serisouly thought that was going to be the get out to that whole situation, and I was kind of more shocked when it didn't happen. Because surely River was going to have to use it anyway in order to go back and write the book?
  • themanfromdelmonte 29 Sep 2012 22:15:48 566 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It seems pretty logical that the paradox doesn't just stop the TARDIS going back. " A motorbike through traffic." is one thing, a motorbike through an earthquake zone......?

It wouldn't be that hard for River to find out where her parents lived and post them the manuscript from a different geographic location in the same time period. Or go back earlier and leave it in a safety deposit box along with leaving instructions with a solicitor to ensure they get it.

Having said that, I think the point was that once they'd seen the writing on the tomb stone, the event was set in stone. Even if the vortex manipulator could have navigated them there, Rory was certainly doomed to live that life and Amy chose to join him.

The bigger question is, do you watch Doctor Who with the intention of not enjoying it? And if so, isn't there something better you could be doing with your time?

/comicbookguy"I'm wasting my life."
  • dsmx 29 Sep 2012 22:38:04 7,555 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rory's fate was set in stone both literally and figuratively when they saw the tombstone, he was always going to die so she chose to join him. I don't really see why that's a plot hole, even if they went back rory was still going to die and amy wanted to live her life with him.

Isn't that vortex thing a 1 person deal though?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Page

of 375 First / Last