The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 4

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• mal 30 Apr 2006 00:38:55 21,949 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eh, well, I think I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Tennant isn't nearly as good at the role as Ecclestone was, even if he does have more of a screen presence, and does wear clothes very well. And the 'love interest' between the doctor and Rose has changed from a classic 'will they, won't they?' to a 'just get on with it'.

Still the best thing on Saturday evening TV for years, mind you.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 30 April 2006 08:55:52
    Nah man. Tennant's way more convincing than Ecclestone ever was in the role.

Excellent episode this week, and the best of the first batch imho. As someone said before, it was definitely a character piece this week. The story was just getting in the way! But it was lovely to see SJS again, and Mr Head as the Head was great fun. Rose did take a backseat, but I still love the character.

It's going from strength to strength imo.
  • pjmaybe 30 Apr 2006 11:20:19 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Why did the school explode, that was entirely random o_O

I think it was an homage to the Simpsons. You know, everything catches fire in the Simpsons...

Good episode but for all the wrong reasons, it's beginning to play out in such a formulaic fashion that I'm beginning to wonder what I'm watching. It ain't Dr Who. I mean it's going along the lines of

1) Doctor turns up
    2) The Mill do another CGI monster that looks shit
    3) Guest stars mill about
    4) Rose and Mickey get on everyone's tits
    5) Doctor drops in a few social commentary phrases like "Chav" or "Happy Slapper"
    6) Something explodes
    7) Peej headbutts the telly

Liz Sladen was ace though, and yes even the tin dog was (loved Anthony Head's "Bad dog" bit - cracked me up).

Show's so raddled with inconsistencies though but so far all the non RTD-penned stuff is shining through as far far better than the man himself's writing.

Peej
  • MetalDog 30 Apr 2006 11:50:32 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I figured the school exploded because it's still essentially a childrens show and what kid wouldn't love the school being blown up at the end? =)

I enjoy the programme a lot. I don't care for the sledgehammer approach to sentimentality, but fuck it, it brings back good memories of being glued to the set saturday night when I was a nipper.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Daryoon 30 Apr 2006 12:10:24 4,555 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still think they'd be better off going back to the serial style >_> The original sold well enough in Yank Land didn't it? Why did they have to change it?

I'm certain the 'happy slapping' line was added by RTD. He may have brought back the show, but he certainly can't write it...
  • Artemus 30 Apr 2006 15:43:11 1,007 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PJ - what is Doctor Who then?

BTW - Anyone see this?
  • tiddles 30 Apr 2006 16:08:45 3,555 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Eh, well, I think I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Tennant isn't nearly as good at the role as Ecclestone was, even if he does have more of a screen presence, and does wear clothes very well. And the 'love interest' between the doctor and Rose has changed from a classic 'will they, won't they?' to a 'just get on with it'.

Still the best thing on Saturday evening TV for years, mind you.

David Tennant is too lightweight - he can't really do the "serious" bits that Ecclestone did.

Last night's episode was generally good, however - basically, they need to stop Russell T Davies writing any more episodes, tell Tennant not to do that "surprise" face where he opens his eyes really wide, and fire the music guy, and they'll probably be alright.
  • Artemus 30 Apr 2006 16:25:27 1,007 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I doubt anyone will be getting fired. Half the production team are mates of RTD!
  • Daryoon 30 Apr 2006 16:28:02 4,555 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And the 'love interest' between the doctor and Rose has changed from a classic 'will they, won't they?' to a 'just get on with it'.

Am I the only one who thinks there shouldn't be any romantic tension between the Doctor and anyone else, period?
  • pjmaybe 30 Apr 2006 17:59:59 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    And the 'love interest' between the doctor and Rose has changed from a classic 'will they, won't they?' to a 'just get on with it'.

Am I the only one who thinks there shouldn't be any romantic tension between the Doctor and anyone else, period?

Agreed - and way to piss all over the Sarah Jane thing by making it seem she'd been pining for him all those years.

Gah...

Peej
  • DaisyD 30 Apr 2006 18:10:08 11,818 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I spoke to Anthony Head today about last night's episode. He said he really enjoyed it as it was something a little different for him.
  • DrPhil 30 Apr 2006 18:23:41 693 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    I spoke to Anthony Head today about last night's episode. He said he really enjoyed it as it was something a little different for him.

You've spoken to Sir Anthony Head? He's my hero!
  • DaisyD 30 Apr 2006 18:31:26 11,818 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DrPhil wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:

You've spoken to Sir Anthony Head? He's my hero!
    See my Look who I met today thread. :D
  • merovingian 6 May 2006 19:26:29 144 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any other blokes out there looking at Billie strapped to the operating table, all perky breasts and swollen lips and thinking "Bloody hell. Chris Evans had his knob in there..."

:(

Git.
  • gerg 6 May 2006 19:51:36 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That was quite a sad episode. I almost cried...
  • Deleted user 6 May 2006 19:52:26
    Eww. Don't remind us of that! (Er, that's re: merovingian's post btw!)

Anyway, thought that one was a bit similar to last week's in that it had a lot of flaws but as a whole it worked quite well. I really do think they're overdoing the whole 'them being reckless' thing though; the introduction of the clockwork robots was genuinely spooky, yet moments later Rose and Mickey are larking through the ship hunting them down!? Some of the music was terrible again, too.

But overall, thought the storyline between the Doctor and the madame worked quite well, mainly because of their performances. Pretty good, but I'd be disappointed if next week's doesn't comprehensively blow it out of the water.

Edited by nekotcha at 19:53:04 06-05-2006
  • Sucram 6 May 2006 19:56:11 251 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Writing was better on this episode, despite the space station full of plot holes in time and space.
  • Deleted user 6 May 2006 20:03:12
    I was waiting for some 'Ahhhhh! That explains what really happened to her according to the history books!' moment, as trailed by all the official BBC press on the episode, but it didn't happen. The Doctor nearly shagged her, and nearly ran away with her, but didn't really, and she died just the way she always did.

Aside from that, and utterly convenient 'written for the episode' time rules, it was quite nice. Apparently David Tennant and her are an item now, as well! Good for him! ;)

I also felt a stirring when Billie got strapped up... What red-blooded man wouldn't? I reckon her bra was doing a better job when she was tied up by the robots than it was later on when she was looking all sad coz the mirror had broken, if you know what I mean?

EDIT: just been watching RTD on Doctor Who Confidential, supposedly 'candid' during script meetings. My GOD he's camp.

Edited by Owen-B at 20:06:55 06-05-2006
  • EatLessMoveMore 6 May 2006 20:07:31 126 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the episode was excellent, especially after the Sarah Jayne episode last week where he was dealing with aging humans - really made me notice that they were basically going through his whole relationship with mortals in a single episode.

maybe it was just me who thought that though

/coat

And where the hell did the horse come from???
  • twinbee 6 May 2006 20:17:27 442 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good episode... but I thought the horse-through-the-mirror stunt was terrible. Quite shocking to see that it wasn't CG.
  • Deleted user 6 May 2006 20:19:06
    Sucram wrote:
    Writing was better on this episode, despite the space station full of plot holes in time and space.

Steven Moffat wrote it, he's the one that wrote the WWII gas-mask monster eps from last series (one of which was called 'The Doctor Dances', notice the references back to that in this one). Personally those two were probably my favourite episodes in the last series, so I'd expect good things of him.
  • Deleted user 6 May 2006 20:21:19
    twinbee wrote:
    Good episode... but I thought the horse-through-the-mirror stunt was terrible. Quite shocking to see that it wasn't CG.

Well yeah but it was composited digitally, which is why it ended up looking not-quite-right. Plus the glass was CGI. Personally I thought it looked pretty impressive; yes you could tell how it was done but it's not easy to get something so complex to look any good!
  • Artemus 6 May 2006 20:22:17 1,007 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was I the only one left slightly confused by it all?
  • Freek 6 May 2006 23:59:25 7,687 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So why diden't he just go back to about a week after they last met and pick her up?
    Time portals were all closed, time line back to normal, so why not use the Tardis?
    And why sent her off to "pack her bags" in the first place when you know time flows faster on the other end of the portal? What good are allot of puffy french dresses going to do in space anyway?

Edited by Freek at 00:01:12 07-05-2006
  • catterz 7 May 2006 02:34:11 8,763 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    ...And that Sophia Myles... phwoar.
    Abso-bloody-lutely!!!

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• quantumsheep 8 May 2006 02:15:58 3,127 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I absolutely loved it.

The letter to him at the end was especially touching.
  • JackThompsonsAnArse 8 May 2006 09:00:20 1,441 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Better, but I'm still struggling to get into this series, compared to last. Perhaps the novelty of having Brand New Who is wearing off, or Tennant and RTD have dropped the ball.

The clockwork robots were a bit odd, they worked well though and the dummies were really good, I thought - far better than CGI'ed camp werewolves, at any rate.

I don't know why RTD isn't satisfied to just slap Exec Producer on all the episodes and let the others write scripts.

I fear my hope for a Dr Who for all the older fans (i.e. scarier and more dark than Tennant's happyfest) will be produced by Torchwood - which will be shit. The way they keep crowbar-ing that in is really grating now.
  • gerg 13 May 2006 19:07:42 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay... why isn't Doctor Who on?
  • quedex 13 May 2006 19:08:51 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Patience, grasshopper.

It's on in 10 minutes...
  • gerg 13 May 2006 19:10:16 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quedex wrote:
    Patience, grasshopper.

It's on in 10 minutes...

Then the programming's behind schedule. Both the BBC Doctor Who website and the TV schedule say 7-00pm.
  • Page

of 373 First / Last