The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 2

• Page

of 389 First / Last

• EatLessMoveMore 16 Apr 2006 14:22:25 126 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Overall dissapointed, but plenty of promise - Billy Piper is great though, and held the show together IMHO - her as Cassandra was great. Also, Zoe Wannamaker was great as usual

The one plothole I really thought about was right at the end when

***SPOILER***

Cassandra went back to see her younger self - why the hell didn't she just jump ship into the younger body and go through it all again...

***END SPOILER***
  • pjmaybe 16 Apr 2006 15:38:02 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tennant really reminds me of Patrick Troughton at times, though obviously a bit of a "housewives favourite" approach rather than something scruffy and hobo-like.

Billie Piper gets better as the shows progress, but I'd have to agree with whoever said RTD just can't write sci fi - everything comes across a bit too "yooof" for my liking. And christ, talk about rubbish CGI at times as well...

All in all though I think Tennant is going to end up being pretty good, and this from someone who absolutely HATED the christmas special.

Peej
  • gerg 16 Apr 2006 16:54:21 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They really need to do a parody special of Doctor Who again, like that one with Rowan Atkinson.
    They should have Ant and Dec as the Doctor(s), and Cat Deeley as the companion.
  • DrPhil 16 Apr 2006 17:00:21 693 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gerg wrote:
    They really need to do a parody special of Doctor Who again, like that one with Rowan Atkinson.
    They should have Ant and Dec as the Doctor(s), and Cat Deeley as the companion.

Theres a Chuckle Brothers Dr Who parody touring soon, which I for one can't wait to go and see!
  • Retroid Moderator 16 Apr 2006 20:22:09 44,782 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck's sake.

That was awful :(
  • palmoff 16 Apr 2006 20:27:23 502 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree Billie Piper was good. It was the first time in years that i wanted to plaster one over her face and chest.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2006 20:31:52
    palmoff wrote:
    I agree Billie Piper was good. It was the first time in years that i wanted to plaster one over her face and chest.

You sir have the wit and eloquence of a poet.

;)
  • TwistidChimp 18 Apr 2006 14:25:20 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, bit of a weak episode imo, I liked Tennants character alot more in the christmas special. Still I have hope for the next episode, gotta love werewolves.
  • glaeken 18 Apr 2006 14:34:50 11,177 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Tennat will be OK but I thought as others have also commented that it was a very weak episode.

I think the writing is going to need to improve for this come back to last as so far episode quality is very hit and miss.
    I think while they stick to the one complete story per episode format that seems to be the case through-out the majority of the last series that things will not get much better.
  • JackThompsonsAnArse 18 Apr 2006 14:35:31 1,441 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    palmoff wrote:

Ahahaha. Yes, I too, but over and above that, I'm really impressed with her acting, she's obviously really tried hard with it.

Episode was a bit meh, but hopefully they'll warm up soon. David Tennant I'm a little wary of still, but I suspect things get better.

The Doctor's teary-eyed rants about humanity / inhumanity need to be cut though, it's getting a bit twee. Having said that, CE's doctor had some real grit and ruthlessness (especially regarding Daleks) about him, hopefully DT will show some balls soon enough.
  • Freek 22 Apr 2006 20:05:32 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great episode tonight but why on earth did they arbitrarely throw in Shaolin Monks as the bad guys?

Edited by Freek at 20:05:38 22-04-2006
  • Deleted user 22 April 2006 20:07:37
    Tonight's one was pretty good, compared to last week's piss poor debut. Rather enjoyed it - right up until the ever so convenient 'moon laser' and the way it ever so conveniently shut itself off once it had destroyed the werewolf...

I liked the hint of a plot-arch to come - what's Torchwood going to mean for the Doctor in the future?

The trail for next week's looked rubbish though - The Demon Headmaster, anyone? I had high hopes for a great nostalgia ep with Sarah Jane and K-9 but it looks like they'll be sharing the screen with an utterly crap story. :(

EDIT: a quick google threw up this snippet about what Torchwood means... Oh. My. Fucking. God. Please, will someone STOP Russell T. Davies? NOW.

Edited by Owen-B at 20:10:19 22-04-2006
  • DaisyD 22 Apr 2006 20:10:11 11,826 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, but next week does have Anthony Stewart Head in it!

/swoons
  • Whizzo 22 Apr 2006 20:13:09 43,131 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:I liked the hint of a plot-arch to come - what's Torchwood going to mean for the Doctor in the future?
    It's the more adult spin-off series that Captain Jack is going to be the lead, it was also the name of the weapon system that destroyed the alien space ship in the Christmas Invasion.

I enjoyed tonight a lot, it not being quite as straight forward as it appeared was rather good.

This space left intentionally blank.

• twinbee 22 Apr 2006 20:13:12 442 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuuuuuuuuuck! Knew I forgot something! :(
  • brains 22 Apr 2006 20:16:37 491 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Enjoyed this one much more than last week, and yes, Billie Piper would still get one from me. Right up the fanny.
  • Deleted user 22 April 2006 20:18:45
    Space_Ranger wrote:
    palmoff wrote:

LOL She don't really do it for me :\
    She did it for me, last week. Flexing her tits and pouting in front of the mirror? Play that again, Sam.

:D

/rant on

I thought that annoying Yank was one of the most infuriating elements of what was generally a top class comeback for the Doc last series. I am horrified that they're going to make a whole series based around him. The fact that they have been seeding the 'Torchwood' thing so subtley for ages now and that they have got him involved points to 'marketing ploy' and 'sell it to the Americans' above anything else.

A Doctor Who series for adults? I seriously doubt it. It's not even going to crossover with Doctor Who. Sorry to write something off before it's even been done, but I have seen no evidence whatsoever from anyone involved in the project that they are capable of producing anything remotely 'serious' or 'adult'. It'll be frothy nonsense.

/rant off
  • Whizzo 22 Apr 2006 20:22:35 43,131 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Torchwood was announced months ago.

• Pob 22 Apr 2006 20:22:35 680 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    I liked the hint of a plot-arch to come - what's Torchwood going to mean for the Doctor in the future?

Torchwood was also the name of the weapon system that the prime minister brought down upon the evil sweetcorn-faced aliens in 'The Christmas Invasion'. Getting pretty deep eh? :) I enjoyed tonights episode.
  • gerg 22 Apr 2006 20:23:51 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, much better. A great improvement over last week. Plus it explains why the institution is called Torchwood.

***spoiler***

Plus being knighted and banished at the same time?!

"We are not amused."

***/spoiler***

I hope each episode is as quotable as the first two.
  • Pob 22 Apr 2006 20:25:04 680 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gah! I missed last weeks episode! What did you find out about torchwood?
  • Whizzo 22 Apr 2006 20:26:28 43,131 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gerg wrote:I hope each episode is as quotable as the first two.
    "From the township of Balamory" :-)

• Freek 22 Apr 2006 20:27:55 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pob wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:

Torchwood was also the name of the weapon system that the prime minister brought down upon the evil sweetcorn-faced aliens in 'The Christmas Invasion'. Getting pretty deep eh? :) I enjoyed tonights episode.

It's the name of an undercover agency, the biritsh version of MIB, they own advanced weaponry and will be their own show.
    Torchwood being an anagram of Dr Who.
  • gerg 22 Apr 2006 20:29:10 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pob wrote:
    Gah! I missed last weeks episode! What did you find out about torchwood?

Nothing much last week.

This week... ?

***spoiler***

The house Queen Victoria stayed at was called Torchwood House. After the DOCTOR and Rose have visited, mucked about with history, and saved the day, she knights the two, but also banishes them.

You then see her talking to the wife of the house-owner, and they discuss the future of the house. The wife decides she wants it demolished, but Queen Victoria states that the incidents that transpired that day will live on. She says that the British empire is under attack from all kinds of people, even people like the DOCTOR and Rose. And thus the British empire needs to be protected from such people, so she plans to create the Torchwood institute to protect the empire if they ever decide to return.

***/spoiler***

Edited by gerg at 20:29:31 22-04-2006
  • PES_Fanboy 22 Apr 2006 20:37:08 16,030 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Space_Ranger wrote:
    /wishes Jane Goldman was the docs assistant

Christ.

I mean....Christ.

Are you serious?
  • Pob 22 Apr 2006 20:37:50 680 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Gerg,

Although, I did see tonights episode :).

I was wondering if torchwood was mentioned at all last week, or what happened in the previous episode.

Plus it explains why the institution is called Torchwood.

This is what I was referring to when I said 'Gah!' I'm guessing now that you were relating to the Christmas Episode as well.

...have I just answered my own question?
  • Deleted user 22 April 2006 20:38:43
    Whizzo wrote:
    Torchwood was announced months ago.
    Woopdedoo I didn't see it.

• gerg 22 Apr 2006 20:39:48 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pob wrote:
    Thanks Gerg,

Although, I did see tonights episode :).

I was wondering if torchwood was mentioned at all last week, or what happened in the previous episode.

Plus it explains why the institution is called Torchwood.

This is what I was referring to when I said 'Gah!' I'm guessing now that you were relating to the Christmas Episode as well.

...have I just answered my own question?

I was referring to tonight's episode actually... sorry if I confused you.
  • Pob 22 Apr 2006 20:42:05 680 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /bangs head on desk.

I'll be quiet now.
  • PES_Fanboy 22 Apr 2006 20:42:11 16,030 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, I can see, but I'm starting to worry about other forumites.

/calls Wossy
  • Page

of 389 First / Last