The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 350

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• Dave_McCoy 17 Oct 2013 16:13:31 2,771 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Matt Smith was excellent I thought. Sad to see him go, definitely preferred him to Tennant.
  • M83J01P97 17 Oct 2013 16:43:40 6,553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    When does the new series start?
    Next year I think. It normally starts around Easter.
    Not next year, will start in the Autumn due to Capaldi's prior filming commitments. Series 8 isn't due to start filming until April 2014.
  • DanB24 19 Oct 2013 21:38:25 1,799 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesomeness!!!
  • TarickStonefire 20 Oct 2013 09:02:13 2,912 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Razz you know you're going to hate Matt smith even though you haven't seen it and you said the same about David tennant and changed your mind?

Well that's not a completely unreasonable knee jerk reaction at all.

Also, ecclestone's performance has aged terribly, I discovered when I rewatched recently. It seemed good at the time, and when he was being grumpy he was excellent. But the rest of the time he was clunky, hammy, eggy, really cringey. But then again that was mostly the awful writing courtesy of RTD. I deeply suspect one of his reasons for not coming back was that he wasn't a fan of the characterisation he delivered and doesn't want to repeat it. Also he's a tit, but hey,

In my opinion Matt Smith was by far the best of the new Doctors so far, for most of his run. Tennant started like a breath of fresh air and quickly became tediously gushing. Smith had his fair share of gushing too but he played it much more like an old man in a young body.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:03:07 20-10-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 20 Oct 2013 09:03:48 2,912 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    Awesomeness!!!
    Apart from only a handful of the doctors being featured. Weird. They should ALL be in that trailer.

• DanB24 20 Oct 2013 10:51:00 1,799 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They are all there. Every one of them.

Edited by DanB24 at 10:51:22 20-10-2013
  • DanB24 20 Oct 2013 10:54:55 1,799 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In orders of appearance in the trailer:
    1st, 2nd, 4th, 3rd and then when the shot pans from in shot are from left to right 7th, 5th, 9th, 6th then when it pans briefly to the left we see 8th and then it pans right in on 10th and then finishes on 11th. :)

So there you go. :)

And so very very many other things there if you really look and know your Who.

Edited by DanB24 at 10:55:07 20-10-2013
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 13:09:59
    With Matt leaving, does anyone else think this could be how they handle the last doctor?

Wasnt he only meant to regenerate 11 times?
  • DanB24 20 Oct 2013 14:02:34 1,799 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The limit is meant to be 12 regenerations giving 13 Doctors altogether.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 14:05:19
    Ah, cheers.

Should be interesting to see how they handle that.
  • DanB24 20 Oct 2013 14:09:16 1,799 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're welcome. :)

Indeed. I'm sure they will get out of it but you're right it will be interesting to see how they do it.
  • themanfromdelmonte 23 Oct 2013 23:22:58 569 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Moffat today confirmed of the Doctor, “He can only regenerate 12 times”, while simultaneously suggesting there has been a miscalculation of how many regenerations he has actually been through.

“I think you should go back to your DVDs and count correctly this time,” said Moffat, “there’s something you’ve all missed.”
    Pat to Jon isn't shown and is forced by the Timelords, so may not actually be a regeneration.

Tom to Pete had 4 merging with The Watcher. Regeneration, or merging?

Both this are made moot by Mawdryn Undead which states how many regenerations the Doctor has left.

Paul to Chris isn't shown.

The Timelords do promise the Master another set of regenerations in The Five Doctors. Would be logical that they would reset all the Timelord's cycles during the Time War. But that's not something we could have missed on a dvd.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Nov 2013 19:29:38 14,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Made my 7 year old daughter watch "my" Doctor...Tom Baker today (UK Gold) , she was not impressed ;)

I have not watched it since the very early 80's, but due to my daughter bing in love with David Tennant and now Matt Smith,I have watched a good few and have to say I like it.
    We even watched the CE episode this morning where he meets Rose, all great fun. "if you are an Alien how come you sound like you come from the North" ;)

I am looking forward to Malcolm T being the new Doctor. How will they explain he was in an early ep with DT, or will they simply not bother. My daughter thinks he is too old to be the Doctor

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 19:31:43 03-11-2013

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• drhcnip 3 Nov 2013 19:32:54 2,456 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    not bother, just like with colin baker and karen gillan before him....thats my guess, anyway....looking forward to him as the doc
  • Folant 3 Nov 2013 19:34:35 1,161 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Freema whatsherface(Martha) was in an earlier episode too. That was explained as Martha's cousin, iirc.

Karen Gillan(Amy) was in the same episode as Peter C. The pompeii one. That was ignored.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• MatMan562 3 Nov 2013 19:42:15 2,319 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I saw a video where Steven Moffat said that Russell T Davies had an idea for why Peter Capaldi was in the Doctor Who universe twice (once in Fires of Pompei, once in Torchwood) and that he spoke to him about whether it would still work with him being the Doctor and apparently it did. Moffat didn't seem sure if he'd actually use it or not but it seems unlikely it'll be early on if it does come up at all.

But, yeah, it'll probably go unmentioned.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• TarickStonefire 3 Nov 2013 20:44:06 2,912 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    I saw a video where Steven Moffat said that Russell T Davies had an idea for why Peter Capaldi was in the Doctor Who universe twice (once in Fires of Pompei, once in Torchwood) and that he spoke to him about whether it would still work with him being the Doctor and apparently it did. Moffat didn't seem sure if he'd actually use it or not but it seems unlikely it'll be early on if it does come up at all.

But, yeah, it'll probably go unmentioned.
    Yeah I saw that too. I'd like to think it's something as simple as "Oooh, I like his face, I'll have it." but if he could choose then why would he always act surprised when he discovers what he looks like after a regen?

So it's probably something utterly ridiculous, up it's own arse, and in love with it's own cleverness. Especially if RTD had anything to do with it.

I'll just be happy when Capaldi finally takes the stage. I like Matt, but I'm more excited to see Capaldi as the Doctor than I've ever been about Doctor Who :)

• Triggerhappytel 3 Nov 2013 20:51:54 2,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wait, I stopped watching Doctor Who a few years back, but glancing over this topic am I right in thinking Malcolm Tucker will be the next Doctor? Seriously?! I'd never have put him down for the role. Either the BBC is paying him a shit load of money, or the quality of the stories/scripts has drastically improved in the last few years?
  • TarickStonefire 3 Nov 2013 20:55:45 2,912 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Wait, I stopped watching Doctor Who a few years back, but glancing over this topic am I right in thinking Malcolm Tucker will be the next Doctor? Seriously?! I'd never have put him down for the role. Either the BBC is paying him a shit load of money, or the quality of the stories/scripts has drastically improved in the last few years?
    Blimey. So you missed ALL the stuff on the internet about it, ALL the stuff in the papers, the ENTIRE BBC1 PRIME TIME SHOW dedicated to nothing other than naming him?

Wow. You really haven't been paying attention to Doctor Who have you? ;)

The scripts and stories have been at worst just fine and at best utterly fantastic good fun (unless you take Who waaaay too seriously) for years, and Capaldi has been an ardent fan since he was about 8 by all accounts (he wrote into the Radio Times or DW fan club or something when he was a kid) and was gagging for the role.

I think he's perfect for it.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 20:56:14 03-11-2013

• Blerk Moderator 3 Nov 2013 23:05:32 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Went to our local fireworks show with the kids tonight and this year it was Doctor Who themed. Laser show to Who music and they had a Tardis, a new-style Cyberman and a 'working' Dalek which I'd have paid good money to get a picture with. Alas, it wasn't to be, but I was grinning like a loon the whole time!

Oh, and there were fireworks and shit too. :)

Sat and watched Earthshock when I came back in and found myself hoping beyond hope that having an older Doctor again will get us back to some slightly more cerebral stories that don't rely on motorbike escapes or touchy-feely ego-trips but actually require the Doctor to be, well, really brainy and sciencey. I'm hoping for too much' aren't I? :(
  • Triggerhappytel 3 Nov 2013 23:20:50 2,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Blimey. So you missed ALL the stuff on the internet about it, ALL the stuff in the papers, the ENTIRE BBC1 PRIME TIME SHOW dedicated to nothing other than naming him?

Well, I've just been away on holiday, and I generally don't watch terrestrial television (other than CBeebies), so I have been somewhat out of the loop more than usual.

I'm happy with the choice and I think he's a good enough actor that he will fit the role regardless, but being a big fan of The Thick of It, I'll be expecting the Doctor to be calling the Daleks sink-plunging tin cunts or something like that.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Nov 2013 03:49:36 14,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blerk
    In one of our Uni buildings we have a full size Dalek and the Police Box. I took a few photos for my daughter, she asked if I saw the Time Lord ;-)
    ...I said he must have been busy.

I think the items have been put in store or maybe who knows...;-)
    If they do reappear I will take my daughter to see them.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• santashi 4 Nov 2013 13:22:44 5,057 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When I was really little my dad's art department made a life sized dalek out of aluminium cans for a competition (they won a trip to London). I used to play with it whenever I visited the school. :D

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 15:36:55 2,912 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:

Well, I've just been away on holiday, and I generally don't watch terrestrial television (other than CBeebies), so I have been somewhat out of the loop more than usual.

I'm happy with the choice and I think he's a good enough actor that he will fit the role regardless, but being a big fan of The Thick of It, I'll be expecting the Doctor to be calling the Daleks sink-plunging tin cunts or something like that.
    There's a fantastic fan trailer made with clips from The Thick Of It. It's more restrained than you'd think, but there's some well chosen lines…

I have this feeling they'll turn him into the very same jokey chirpy choppy he's been for the last three generations though, with very little of the menace we're all hoping for. Kids don't want to be scared by the hero!

• mal 4 Nov 2013 17:35:34 22,341 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This?

It's from the Doctor!

What does it say?
    :D

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 17:49:01 2,912 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mal wrote:
    This?

It's from the Doctor!

What does it say?
    :D
    Not that one, way shorter, and less swearing, it really felt like Adult Who. I'll try to find it.

Oh here it is. Actually quite sweary:

Capaldi Who Trailer

Edited by TarickStonefire at 17:51:23 04-11-2013

• TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 17:50:11 2,912 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted

• DFawkes 4 Nov 2013 18:53:06 22,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think someone broke the thread as I'm seeing posts from May. Lets see who after I make this fixing post...

Tarick "Threadbreaker" Stonefire :p

Edited by DFawkes at 18:53:34 04-11-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• BinaryBob101 5 Nov 2013 17:11:53 22,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Neil Gaiman is writing an 11th Doctor novel.

Beautiful tender beings.

• MatMan562 5 Nov 2013 17:21:08 2,319 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    themanfromdelmonte wrote:

Moffat today confirmed of the Doctor, “He can only regenerate 12 times”, while simultaneously suggesting there has been a miscalculation of how many regenerations he has actually been through.

“I think you should go back to your DVDs and count correctly this time,” said Moffat, “there’s something you’ve all missed.”
    Pat to Jon isn't shown and is forced by the Timelords, so may not actually be a regeneration.

Tom to Pete had 4 merging with The Watcher. Regeneration, or merging?

Both this are made moot by Mawdryn Undead which states how many regenerations the Doctor has left.

Paul to Chris isn't shown.

The Timelords do promise the Master another set of regenerations in The Five Doctors. Would be logical that they would reset all the Timelord's cycles during the Time War. But that's not something we could have missed on a dvd.
    I was thinking about this the other day and remembered, David Tennant "regenerated" without actually changing himself. Maybe that counted so this next regenration should be his last one. I think they'll just use the time River gave the Doctor her "regenerations" to solve the problem though.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Page

of 375 First / Last