The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 349

  • Page

    of 373 First / Last

  • TarickStonefire 7 Oct 2013 14:23:44 2,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Robot_Chubby wrote:
    Another vote for Doctor Grey.

    I think I remember the Master saying something like 'if the Doctor can be a young man then so can I' when he regenerated into John Simm. That seemed to introduce an element of choice, which I don't recall having seen before in new or original Who.

    Maybe they could go all Jurassic Parky to repopulate the Time Lord species...
    Then there's the revelation that RTD cooked up some theory as to why Capaldi had appeared twice in modern Doctor Who, which Moffatt has said he asked RTD about recently and will likely be playing a part in the reason why the Doctor now looks like Capaldi.

    Making it up as they go along? Pffft, never ;)

    (not that I really care one jot so long as it makes some semblance of scifi sense and is fun!)

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • themanfromdelmonte 7 Oct 2013 19:30:11 540 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well the 6th Doctor looked very much like Captain Maxil. It's hardly a new thing.
  • X201 7 Oct 2013 21:00:07 14,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a big box set coming out in November, all of the new Who including specials on blu-ray.
  • X201 8 Oct 2013 15:49:15 14,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Announcement on the found episodes, later this week.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

    Edited by X201 at 15:56:38 08-10-2013
  • X201 10 Oct 2013 16:01:15 14,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Episodes have been recovered and the press are being briefed about it, and presumably shown what was recovered, right now, the news is embargoed until midnight thought.
  • GiarcYekrub 10 Oct 2013 16:10:55 3,583 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Supposidly it's Web of Fear and Enemy of the World
  • DanB24 10 Oct 2013 17:58:37 1,391 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Superb news no matter which ones they've found. :)
  • elhozzo 10 Oct 2013 18:08:41 233 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    embargoed news...about old Doctor Who episodes ...

    (shake's head) ... dunno what the worlds coming to...
  • X201 11 Oct 2013 06:46:31 14,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    " Nine missing episodes of 1960s Doctor Who have been found at a TV station in Nigeria, including most of the classic story The Web of Fear.
    The black and white story sees Patrick Troughton's second Doctor battle robot yeti in the London underground.
    Also recovered is a complete version of Troughton's six-part story The Enemy of the World.

    It is thought to be the largest haul of missing episodes recovered in the last three decades. "


    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24467337

    The number of missing episodes is now below 100 \o/



    WHAT'S BEEN FOUND

    The Enemy of the World(1967-68) - episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6 (episode 3 was already in archive)
    The Web of Fear(1968) - episodes 1,2,4,5,6 (episode 1 was already in archive - episode 3 still missing)

    Edited by X201 at 06:56:53 11-10-2013
  • KingOfSpain 11 Oct 2013 09:26:47 5,182 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What annoys me about the discovery of all these classic eps is that they won't be broadcast on TV. In fact classic Whos are rarely shown on TV, criminally so. For a show with so much heritage, and seemingly so important to the Beeb and its future, classic Who just seems ignored.

    I understand that the BBC will make a tidy sum from selling the re-mastered DVDs but how are the kids who have only recently discovered Who going stumble across this stuff if it isn't broadcast. They wont buy the DVDs. Christ, the selection made available to on Netflix is so small and disjointed it hardly seems to be worth it.

    Like many people in their late 20s or early 30s, I'm of the generation who cant answer the question "Who's your Doctor?" (because it was pulled when I was at the age where I would have been getting into it), so I'm always interested in watching the classic stuff when it is shown.

    My only hope is that they broadcast some classic episodes over the next few months to coincide with the 50th celebrations.
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Oct 2013 09:46:29 48,224 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agreed, it's precisely the sort of show that should be given some space on BBC4, especially the earlier stuff. If they ran everything they had, chronologically, at a rate of one of two episodes a week then surely they could pull a lot more people in without damaging their DVD/online sales?

    I like to watch this stuff but I don't feel the need to actually own my own copy.
  • KingOfSpain 11 Oct 2013 13:41:46 5,182 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I take it all back.

    It seems Watch are doing a bit of a classic Who season. A series looking back at all the Doctors with a classic story following directly after it. 1st and 2nd Doctors on this Saturday and Sunday.

    http://watch.uktv.co.uk/doctor-who/article/the-doctors-revisited/

    Should be interesting!
  • BinaryBob101 11 Oct 2013 16:41:15 21,966 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watch are doing more for the 50th anniversary than the BBC! It's bloody crackers.

    Goose fat is sponsored by:

    Lens Flare

  • themanfromdelmonte 11 Oct 2013 17:12:22 540 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think producing a special episode and a dramatisation of the origins of the show counts as more than running some repeats with docus.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Oct 2013 17:23:24 21,966 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was hoping for a lot more. The stuff on Watch is also on for quite a while. You think a couple of specials is enough really? I do not.

    Goose fat is sponsored by:

    Lens Flare

  • themanfromdelmonte 11 Oct 2013 17:49:04 540 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is also a docu planned and the convention at the Excel.

    It is, afterall. A damn sight more than we got for the 30th and 40th.

    Is it enough? That depends on the quality of the content. If the special is a 9/10 classic. Then yeah, that would be enough for me. It's only realistically got to be a 7/10 to beat Three Doctors, Five Doctors and Silver Nemesis.

    The only equivalent is Coronation Street, which ITV did a docu and a live Tram Crash episode. Ironically the BBC dramatised the series genesis.
  • CharlieStCloud 11 Oct 2013 18:00:07 4,671 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hang on a mo-mo!

    ... is there nowhere else in which you can watch these 'lost' episodes other than paying 10 on blooming iTunes?
  • themanfromdelmonte 11 Oct 2013 18:02:04 540 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I assume someone will have put them on a torrent by now....... Don't do that.

    Or you could wait for the DVD, they'll cost more initially. But will end up about 6, like the rest do.
  • BinaryBob101 14 Oct 2013 16:48:21 21,966 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ben Wheatley directing the first two episodes of Capaldi's tenure, you say?!?

    FUCK YEAH!

    Goose fat is sponsored by:

    Lens Flare

  • M83J01P97 14 Oct 2013 16:59:41 6,385 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Amazing news... Guessing Moffat is writing though? Oh well... Can't have everything!
  • Razz 14 Oct 2013 17:02:39 59,994 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Started watching this last month, and I'm really enjoying it!

    I avoided the show for years as I'd grown up on happy-clappy American SciFi and never really got on with the darker British stuff. Dr Who seemed really silly (childish) and low budget so I totally wrote it off. I was an idiot. The silliness of the show and the crappy designs are part of it's charm. Plus it's for all ages, well... it tends to lean to younger side of that spectrum, but it's still fulfilling enough for an adult to watch.

    So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad I took the plunge. I've just got to the end of Season 4. And omg I couldn't fight back the tears man. I just know I'm going to hate this new Doctor (Matt Smith), he looks like a whiny cunt. then again I said the same about David Tennant. It took me a while to warm to him. I still much prefer Christopher Eccleston, I really wish he hadn't quit. I must preferred his serious approach to Tennant's cheeky constant piss taking.

    But still that regeneration... "I don't want to go" ;_; Jesus...

    Edited by Razz at 17:03:51 14-10-2013

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • DanB24 14 Oct 2013 17:23:02 1,391 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good for you,you should check out all the earlier Doctors too mate. :)
  • RobAnybody 14 Oct 2013 18:48:59 824 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Amazing news... Guessing Moffat is writing though? Oh well... Can't have everything!
    My thoughts exactly. Wheatley directing and Capaldi starring - excellent! But Moffat writing? Oh dear .....
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Oct 2013 18:53:34 13,802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Started watching this last month, and I'm really enjoying it!

    I avoided the show for years as I'd grown up on happy-clappy American SciFi and never really got on with the darker British stuff. Dr Who seemed really silly (childish) and low budget so I totally wrote it off. I was an idiot. The silliness of the show and the crappy designs are part of it's charm. Plus it's for all ages, well... it tends to lean to younger side of that spectrum, but it's still fulfilling enough for an adult to watch.

    So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad I took the plunge. I've just got to the end of Season 4. And omg I couldn't fight back the tears man. I just know I'm going to hate this new Doctor (Matt Smith), he looks like a whiny cunt. then again I said the same about David Tennant. It took me a while to warm to him. I still much prefer Christopher Eccleston, I really wish he hadn't quit. I must preferred his serious approach to Tennant's cheeky constant piss taking.

    But still that regeneration... "I don't want to go" ;_; Jesus...
    Tom Baker is "my" Doctor, and therefore the bestest ever :)

    "Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

  • drhcnip 14 Oct 2013 21:16:20 2,265 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Started watching this last month, and I'm really enjoying it!

    I avoided the show for years as I'd grown up on happy-clappy American SciFi and never really got on with the darker British stuff. Dr Who seemed really silly (childish) and low budget so I totally wrote it off. I was an idiot. The silliness of the show and the crappy designs are part of it's charm. Plus it's for all ages, well... it tends to lean to younger side of that spectrum, but it's still fulfilling enough for an adult to watch.

    So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad I took the plunge. I've just got to the end of Season 4. And omg I couldn't fight back the tears man. I just know I'm going to hate this new Doctor (Matt Smith), he looks like a whiny cunt. then again I said the same about David Tennant. It took me a while to warm to him. I still much prefer Christopher Eccleston, I really wish he hadn't quit. I must preferred his serious approach to Tennant's cheeky constant piss taking.

    But still that regeneration... "I don't want to go" ;_; Jesus...
    Tom Baker is "my" Doctor, and therefore the bestest ever :)
    troughton, t baker & smith by far the best.....baker was 'my' doctor, troughton i grew to love as i discovered more & smith is genius in the role (though the stories havent always matched....;).
  • cubbymoore 16 Oct 2013 21:58:32 36,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When does the new series start?
  • spamdangled 16 Oct 2013 22:01:02 27,197 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Robot_Chubby wrote:
    I think I remember the Master saying something like 'if the Doctor can be a young man then so can I' when he regenerated into John Simm. That seemed to introduce an element of choice, which I don't recall having seen before in new or original Who.
    Then you remember wrong!

    See Romana for more info.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • spamdangled 16 Oct 2013 22:03:02 27,197 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    When does the new series start?
    Next year I think. It normally starts around Easter.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • MatMan562 16 Oct 2013 23:43:15 1,904 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    When does the new series start?
    There's the 50th anniversary special November 23rd and then the Crhistmas special as normal but the rest of Series 8 is apparently not going to be until Autumn next year.

    I'm currently cautiously optimistic about the next series and the new Doctor. I'm hoping they're going to make it a little darker and generally quite a bit different from what we've had with "Nu Who" so far. And hopefully they wont split the season up this time!

    XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

  • Devilligan 17 Oct 2013 00:04:01 8 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Razz wrote:

    I just know I'm going to hate this new Doctor (Matt Smith), he looks like a whiny cunt. then again I said the same about David Tennant. It took me a while to warm to him.

    Erm, I think you're going to be in for a pleasant surprise.
  • Page

    of 373 First / Last

Log in or register to reply