The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 348

• Page

of 407 First / Last

• iancognito 17 Aug 2013 14:16:04 1,711 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hope the TARDIS has wheelchair access.
  • Bremenacht 17 Aug 2013 14:20:22 19,637 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Female Whos:

Dawn French
    Judi Dench
    Sasha Grey
  • Folant 17 Aug 2013 14:22:54 1,585 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think Who fandom would explode onto itself if they cast Sasha Grey as the Doctor.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• iancognito 17 Aug 2013 14:28:09 1,711 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Careful where Sasha puts the sonic screwdriver.
  • Robot_Chubby 17 Aug 2013 14:40:28 260 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another vote for Doctor Grey.

I think I remember the Master saying something like 'if the Doctor can be a young man then so can I' when he regenerated into John Simm. That seemed to introduce an element of choice, which I don't recall having seen before in new or original Who.

Maybe they could go all Jurassic Parky to repopulate the Time Lord species...
  • BinaryBob101 17 Aug 2013 14:53:27 24,404 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Female Whos:

Dawn French
    Judi Dench
    Sasha Grey
    You forgot Miranda Hart.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Bremenacht 17 Aug 2013 15:37:31 19,637 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ohhh Miranda Hart. Perfect. The BBC Orchestra of Wales belting out the same old same old chase music, while Miranda Benny-Hills around the Dalek Command ship, nodding and face-pulling at the camera every time she runs past. "Cheeky!"
  • sega 17 Aug 2013 16:12:11 908 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    iancognito wrote:
    Women lead roles were pretty much limited to Lara Croft and Buffy. Men star in just about everything else. James Bond, Dr Who, Jason Bourne, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Rocky, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Sopranos, Star Wars, Star Trek, Buzz Lightyear and Woody, Austin Powers, Harry Potter, Fast & Furious, Die Hard, Angel. So I can see why people try to push for more women lead rolls.
    Pretty much every one of those are action/super hero movies. I wouldn't say there aren't many female lead roles when you take every genre into account. In action films you also have the likes of the Alien series, The Hunger Games, Fringe, Kill Bill, Resident Evil (films) and Alias rather than just Buffy and Lara.

When you say Star Trek do we discount Voyager (because it's not as good, maybe?) and when you say Woody and Buzz do we miss out Brave? Obviously I want more such roles for women, but just pointing out a selective few for one and a dozen from another doesn't make a point. So not disagreeing with you, just criticising your choices as if other genres don't count.
  • iancognito 17 Aug 2013 16:52:00 1,711 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wasn't really being selective, I was picking films & TV with SciFi/Action/adventure themes where there had been three or more series and sequels. Something that most British people between the ages of ten and sixty would have heard of. Dr Who is a bit of an anomaly as it's run for decades and is prime time BBC SciFi so I had to include some loosely related things.

There was only one female Star Trek captain and four men. Brave has only one film. Same with Hunger Games, although there will be more for that one so it can be included as a series with a female lead, and I had forgotten Aliens. Also maybe Bones and the Jessica Alba one but that's a bit obscure.

When all the "another white male Dr Who, yawn" articles were appearing I didn't particularly agree with them but I could see their point when I thought of female leads. I thought a better solution would be to have more women in lead roles rather than making the doctor change gender.

If anyone can think of anymore long running films or TV where there was a female lead I'd like to hear them, but I was running out of ideas quite quickly.
  • sega 17 Aug 2013 17:23:15 908 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well isn't that more a problem with society than with the people who make the shows? If a TV show with a female lead gets cancelled or is deemed as obscure then surely that's our fault as an audience. I doubt any producers have said "we'll cast a woman as the lead, but make sure it's obscure and has a short run". I mean there's a female version of Superman, Batman and Spider-Man but they're nowhere near as popular. Would you watch a Die Hard sequel where Lucy McLane takes over in the lead role? I would and not saying you wouldn't either, but I wonder how many would accept it.

I mentioned Fringe as a great sci-fi series with a female lead. Another series is Battlestar Galactica. I always assumed Starbuck to be the main character in that but I don't know if that's just my interpretation.
  • HelloNo 17 Aug 2013 17:31:16 1,270 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the character just has to be interesting enough, and played by the right actor. Find an actress with enough charisma and skill and I bet you could easily do a female doctor.
  • DanB24 17 Aug 2013 17:40:04 2,368 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Robot_Chubby wrote:
    Another vote for Doctor Grey.

I think I remember the Master saying something like 'if the Doctor can be a young man then so can I' when he regenerated into John Simm. That seemed to introduce an element of choice, which I don't recall having seen before in new or original Who.

Maybe they could go all Jurassic Parky to repopulate the Time Lord species...
    The Doctor doesn't have a choice but Rommana most definitely did and the Master it would seem does too.

And for shows with female leads I can think of 3 off of the to of my head...
    Tru Calling, Dollhouse, Witchblade.

Edited by DanB24 at 17:40:17 17-08-2013
  • iancognito 17 Aug 2013 17:48:33 1,711 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are some great actresses and in a lot of the male lead programmes the women have some really important roles. I think it could work.

I don't think they try to make it obscure and short because it's a female lead. Maybe there just aren't enough made and maybe they don't put as much effort into it. Producers would love everything to be a huge success but they do have to have a bit of 'filler' because of budgets, etc. Maybe the women leads get the raw deal here. All those movies like Yogi Bear, they knew it wouldn't be sustainable but would fill a purpose for a bit.

I guess maybe they put more effort into male lead things.
  • iancognito 17 Aug 2013 17:51:23 1,711 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tru Calling and Dollhouse were cancelled quite early on so I'd not included them. I wanted something people could say "we don't need a female doctor who because look at this popular long running thing without a male lead".
  • iancognito 17 Aug 2013 18:07:38 1,711 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Though of Xena, Nurse Jackie and Underworld. But for male leads, Indiana Jones, Walking Dead, Dexter, Quantum Leap, Back to the Future, House, Red Dwarf, Californication. It's unbalanced and that's why there's often a female Doctor Who call. Well written programme with TV company support and a female lead. I don't know, it could be interesting if it's done well.

Anyway, I was wondering if with an older Doctor if they're taking things in a different direction. A bit less running about. Romantic links with young women would look a little creepy too.
  • Robot_Chubby 17 Aug 2013 18:12:24 260 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Many of the films and TV series mentioned I'm no expert in. and I'm too bone idle to spend 10 minutes Googling. But of the stuff you are discussing that I am familiar with, the principle figures in charge of producing them are all male, and not all men can be Joss Whedon. My point is, if they do have a female Doctor at some point, then she will need good writing and support behind the scenes in order to be successful. I would be very supportive of that and would welcome the change. But I don't think that the entertainment industry in general, and small screen SF in particular is necessarily very good at this sort of thing.
  • iancognito 17 Aug 2013 18:29:24 1,711 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Joss Whedon is definitely a rarity in creating female leads. I think that's why certain people were pushing for a female Doctor - big programme, generally good writing, see what a good actress can do.
  • NBZ 17 Aug 2013 20:31:23 2,384 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Joss Whedon generally fetishises the women though (different from being strong).

A role with a female lead would require some changes - As an example when when Angelina Jolie played the lead role in "Salt", which was priginally written for a male lead, it didn't work perfectly.

They could introduce a new character/spin off if they need to get some boxes ticked, and then do it properly.

Edited by NBZ at 20:42:33 17-08-2013
  • DanB24 17 Aug 2013 20:49:23 2,368 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the best way to have a female Doctor if there must be one would be to not have a female Doctor at all and bring back say Rommana for a spin off series as then you'd have the best of both worlds.
  • spindizzy 18 Aug 2013 07:46:31 6,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NBZ wrote:
    Joss Whedon generally fetishises the women though (different from being strong).
    Eh? How so?
  • Robot_Chubby 18 Aug 2013 14:22:36 260 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Presumably NBZ meant that Whedon's female leads are all very attractive and all very good at kicking arse.
  • jefferya.dobberpuhl 3 Sep 2013 05:47:34 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @MIckelsenWhiteLTD Ha! Quality posting, that was! They rejected my first try: Doc-terrific....
  • jefferya.dobberpuhl 5 Sep 2013 20:00:34 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DanB24 This is exactly my thought. Oh well, someone else makes those decisions, eh?
  • DanB24 6 Sep 2013 20:48:44 2,368 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very true! :)
  • Robot_Chubby 11 Sep 2013 10:21:36 260 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Poster and name of the 50th Anniversary
  • HoriZon 11 Sep 2013 12:54:13 13,596 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    'Bad Wolf' is back then.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• DanB24 11 Sep 2013 17:49:41 2,368 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh dear. The whole Bad Wolf thing was lame.
  • mal 11 Sep 2013 20:31:21 22,826 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice that they're showing the new colourised first story on public tv first though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• YenRug 23 Sep 2013 15:00:55 2,432 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SFX have just posted a link to this fan made intro for Peter Capaldi's Doctor:

Edited by YenRug at 15:01:14 23-09-2013
  • themanfromdelmonte 6 Oct 2013 22:47:07 594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Radio Times:Recovered DW episodes to go on sale for download on Wednesday

The Mirror/People reported this morning that all 106 missing episodes of 60s DW had been found in Ethiopia. This seems to be an exaggeration of what's happening. But it looks like some missing episodes HAVE been found. Rumour has it that it could be as many as 90+ episodes. This radio times article is the first piece of evidence from what I'd consider to be a credible source. But looks promising. Stories mooted by the rumours include Web of Fear, Enemy of the World, Marco Polo and Power of the Daleks. If the 90+ figure proves to be true, it would see most of the stories complete, barring The Daleks' Masterplan, which seems unlikely as it was never sold for overseas distribution.

Edited by themanfromdelmonte at 22:48:32 06-10-2013

Edited by themanfromdelmonte at 22:49:55 06-10-2013
  • Page

of 407 First / Last