The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 347

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• nickthegun 5 Aug 2013 12:37:39 55,866 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The short run *really* hurt it. They just didnt seem to know how to write for it, so they had to build up to a really big arc with a little time to tell the story.

In the end, they would have been better off leaving clara on the branch and let the doctor go solo or have wacky adventures with previous guest stars because her story was awful.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• M83J01P97 5 Aug 2013 12:53:20 6,386 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I feel sorry for Capaldi being stuck with Clara to be honest, seems like an awful companion for such a good actor to be stuck with. Unless she is planning to leave at Christmas as well, which would be a nice present to the series...
  • RichieTenenbaum 5 Aug 2013 12:56:15 2,157 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc&sns=tw
  • spamdangled 5 Aug 2013 13:01:39 27,197 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    SG59 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think the response of 'HURT! FUCK YEAH!' may have gone some way to convincing them it was about time for an old guy with some proper chops to have a crack.

Im looking forward to it as, hopefully, it will completely change the tone of the series which it really, really, really needs. You cant have a nearly 60 year old bloke pegging it about with a 21 year old girl to the dulcet tones of the welsh chase music orchestra anymore, thank fuck.
    The biggest problem I have with the newer series is the writing. A lot of the later half of Matt Smith's years have been forgettable in my opinion.
    I don't have a problem with some episodes not being the most memorable episode in the world. I can't remember half the TV I've watched, and I only watch 'good' stuff. Some episodes are stellar, some are a bit weak, others are just fine.

I rewatched the first two eps of Ecclestone's run the other week, and Oh My God They Are Bad. In fact I think he's *terrible* in most of it, which I put down entirely to the writing - the writing on Doctor Who has *never* been 10/10 every week, even back in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.
    Its ratio of good stories vs bad was a hell of a lot higher than the new series though.

Most of the new series is NOT stellar. I can name on my fingers the number of truly outstanding episodes in the new series. Most of it is merely "adequate" or teeth-gnashingly bad in comparison, dumbed down to hell and back to appease children that have spent their lives wrapped in cotton wool.
    It just doesn't have "teeth" anymore because it's scared of doing anything too controversial. If they did The Daemons these days I doubt it would even get aired because of its overt horror and religious themes.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 5 Aug 2013 13:06:03 27,197 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @nickthegun

That's in common with the whole of the new run though. It mistakes a plot arc for a scattering of Easter eggs followed by a big two-part exposition dump with convenient macguffins (not that the old series didn't have plenty of convenient plot devices, it did, but they weren't as blatantly obvious as they are in the new series).

Something between the old series and the new would be better - tales told over 3-4 episodes and given room to develop instead of massive 8-part epics with drawn out pacing and an over-reliance on cliffhangers or packed-into-40-minutes done in ones.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mal 5 Aug 2013 14:08:14 21,973 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The old series has just as many bad scripts, and probably more bad actors than the new series, and a lot of the plots are pretty hokey.

The benefit they had though is they weren't shy of scaring the kids, so could build up some proper tension. And of course the longer running time allowing for more varied plots.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Ironlungs76 5 Aug 2013 15:27:39 4,930 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was it just me or did Matt Smith seem a bit ... odd in that interview yesterday? Very evasive, not looking at the camera, quite insincere, rambling and so on.

Awaiting a "Matt Smith is a massive drug-fiend" story in the red tops any day now.
  • Inertia 5 Aug 2013 15:38:45 675 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He had the look of someone who had his job stolen from him. His lack of eye contact was evasive because he didn't want to look too emotional. Plus he couldn't whine too much if he wants to work in the industry so he had to just suck it up. Say good things and move on.

To me he looked gutted. But maybe he wanted out; and he's a drug fiend.
  • MatMan562 5 Aug 2013 16:01:04 1,913 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought the same about Matt Smith, I've noticed it in a couple other interviews he's done recently, makes me think he might not have left entirely of his own accord.

Regarding how much we'll see of Peter Capaldi in the Christmas special, I think we might see a little more than we normally would. Given everything we already know about Matt Smith's end Trenzalore, a big battle and the actual supposed death of The Doctor it seems unlikely they're going to want to explain it all at the start of the next series so I think we might get a minute or two rather than just a few seconds.

About a week ago I didn't recognise the name, Peter Capaldi, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with the role, I think it could be fantastic!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Darren 5 Aug 2013 16:01:14 8,321 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Also, I like story arcs as much as the next guy but why the bloody hell does everything have to revolve around the Companion all the time? Character development is fine, but making the companions into "the" mystery, with all the ancillary guff about their family dramas and domestics persistently intruding on getting on with actual story-telling, means the whole thing feels like some awful Mary Sue fanfic.

Doctor Who works best when it focuses on a Damn Good Story, especially when it tackles social, political and historical issues like the old series used to do constantly (Caves of Androzani, Genesis of the Daleks etc). Interjecting every other scene for Another-Lovely-Relationship-Building-Moment-With-The-Companion would be fine if the stories were given more time to breathe. As it is though, they end up taking up far too much screen-time of a story which has to be started, developed and finished in one or two 40-minutes episodes.
    I couldn't agree more.

The David Tennant Doctor/Rose arc was terrific I thought and very well done; I admit I shed a tear during those final scenes on the beach but then we've had similar story arcs for Martha, Donna and (the one I hated the most) the Potts and their bloody irritating grown-up daughter, Professor River Song. The latter was especially unconvincing with two charmless parents who had a baby then barely reacted when she was taken away and returned as a fully grown woman. God, that one was dreadful IMO. Last season's mystery surrounding Whateverhernameis was almost as bad as well and had a silly O.T.T. (even for New Who) resolution. Why can't a companion just be someone normal who doesn't have a mysterious past or big revelation in the future? Classic Who companions like Sarah Jane Smith and Leela where more believable people than anything I've seen in the last few years on Doctor Who. Sometimes simple works better; there's no need to overcomplicated everything.

I've said this before but I wish the series would stick with two- or even three-parters, allowing for better paced plots and potential cliffhangers (even if we know the Doctor is never really in any peril). Also, that would work well with the BBC's budgetary restraints plus another benefit of that is that we'd get away from the abundance of Earthbound stories.

Edited by Darren at 16:18:15 05-08-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• mal 5 Aug 2013 16:03:38 21,973 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In all the vox pop interviews of him I've seen, he's always looked shifty.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Daryoon 5 Aug 2013 17:06:07 4,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I heard rumblings a couple of months back that the BBC effectively screwed him out of a fourth series because of their mucking around with split seasons. Then there's been the media backlash of late (the tabloids especially don't like Moffet), and you have to wonder if the BBC pushed for him to go so they could bring in new blood.

They couldn't get rid if Moffet, though, because they wanted a third series of Sherlock...
  • spamdangled 5 Aug 2013 17:06:19 27,197 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Smith was never very comfortable with the fame that came with the show, based on what I've read and anecdotes from people who've met him outside of conventions and things. I believe him when he says he wanted to move on and do other things - too many previous doctors have ended up becoming "trapped" by their stint in the role, and you only have to look at other actors like Leonard Nimoy to see the amount of resentment many actors can have towards always being appreciated for one thing instead of their entire canon of work.

I've seen Smith quite a few times out and about in Northampton, and he always gets rather visibly annoyed when people ask him for autographs and things when he's simply trying to get on with things. One of the local pubs (the Charles Bradlaugh) which he frequents tells people to basically leave him alone and not even go near him, which is fair enough.

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:07:59 05-08-2013

• nickthegun 5 Aug 2013 17:08:31 55,866 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It doesnt really happen that much anymore. Its *really* hard to get typecast now.

Certainly Tennant, probably *the* face of the Who revival, has moved past it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• MIckelsenWhiteLTD 5 Aug 2013 21:24:33 57 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Very disappointed with the BBC for letting through an obviously fake text message, which scrolled across the bottom of the screen at around the 27 minute mark. It was supposedly from a Jeffery A. Dobberpuhl saying "Ooooh! Doctor-ific!".

My twin tweenage daughters were in floods of tears after my ten minute Powerpoint presentation about what Dobberpuhl actually meant.

I was so enraged I put my foot through my projector and sent Rodger Projector the bill.
  • Kosmoz 5 Aug 2013 22:01:43 7,509 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Other than an actual surname what is it?

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• TOOTR 7 Aug 2013 15:33:43 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's the group name for the millions strong Dr Who fanbase who were clamouring for a Pakistani Doctor.

They've been let down again.

For shame.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 7 Aug 2013 15:33:46 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's the group name for the millions strong Dr Who fanbase who were clamouring for a Pakistani Doctor.

They've been let down again.

For shame.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• HoriZon 14 Aug 2013 00:43:41 13,461 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Tardis spotted get to go in and have a look around via Google Maps :)

Edited by HoriZon at 00:44:56 14-08-2013

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Psychotext 14 Aug 2013 01:15:59 52,783 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool
  • spamdangled 17 Aug 2013 01:47:21 27,197 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My ideal companion for new Who:

Gwen Cooper from Torchwood.

She would be amazing. She would stand up for herself, take no bullshit, kick ass, and wouldn't be the damsel-in-distress or the "omg I love the Doctor" stereotype that has been so prevalent since it got revived.

• TarickStonefire 17 Aug 2013 09:11:52 2,644 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @TOOTR You know what really annoys me? Groups clamouring for their minority to be selected as the new Doctor.

Fuck that, don't select the new doctor because it's a woman, or a Jew, or a black person, or a Pakistani. Don't select the new doctor to tick a box. Select the new doctor based on who would make a good new doctor. It just happens to be a middle aged Caucasian this time. So what if it's been a Caucasian every other time? It's not racist. It's not exclusionary.

.I hate positive discrimination attempts especially when it comes to fictional role casting.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:12:31 17-08-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 17 Aug 2013 09:23:27 2,644 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Matt Smith: quite infamously an arrogant, egotistical arsehole who probably looks shifty in all the post-Who interviews he's done because he's pissed off about having to do them.

I don't think he was pushed, i just think he figured it was time to go, and now he's out of it his ego is swelling and swelling and swelling...

Or maybe I'm wrong and actually Matt Smith the human just acts that too cool for school about everything, all the time.

• sega 17 Aug 2013 09:48:41 558 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    @TOOTR You know what really annoys me? Groups clamouring for their minority to be selected as the new Doctor.

Fuck that, don't select the new doctor because it's a woman, or a Jew, or a black person, or a Pakistani. Don't select the new doctor to tick a box. Select the new doctor based on who would make a good new doctor.
    I don't think it's groups clamouring for a minority in the role of the Doctor, it's just media speculation to try and make their stories more interesting. I'm not against another race being the Doctor at all. He can change his hair colour/facial appearance and skin colour isn't any more of a big step genetically speaking. Michael Jackson managed it in real life, so why not a fictional sci-fi character who can change his face?. I doubt we'd ever see anything like a Jewish Doctor, though - I don't think I could swallow the idea that he regenerates and suddenly has religious beliefs.

I'd be happy with a female Doctor too as long as it isn't rewriting the rules of the Doctor's universe. From what I can tell, time lords seem to regenerate within their gender. The Doctor and Master have always been males and River only regenerates to other females. If I'm wrong there and time lords can regenerate to other genders then why not? Might get confusing if River regenerates to a man too, but it wouldn't be messing with continuation then.
  • TarickStonefire 17 Aug 2013 09:57:39 2,644 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd be happy with a female doctor too. I just wouldn't be happy if there was a sense it had only happened because of some petition. Well, it wouldn't, I think Moffat would not be swayed like that. But I net if he did decide to go with a female doctor we'd be treated to all sorts of "yay! We won!" celebrations by those who would petition for it, and that would be annoying.

The doctor definitely referred to the fact that he's male last time he regenerated, which suggests he knows it's a possibility that he might be either gender after regeneration. Or that could just have been slightly sloppy jokey writing. But I don't think Moffat is that careless, it would only have been in there because he's personally open to it.

I reckon the next doctor will be female.

• TarickStonefire 17 Aug 2013 10:01:37 2,644 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:

Tardis spotted get to go in and have a look around via Google Maps :)
    Coooooooool

• sega 17 Aug 2013 10:39:11 558 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are a few interesting questions that would come up with a female Doctor. Would a time lord that changes gender always be attracted to the opposite sex (or, if a gay time lord, always the same)? Would this be random? If he thinks the same, would s/he wear women's clothing or male? I think if I suddenly changed gender I'd be wearing the same type of clothes through not knowing any better. How do time lords reproduce? What if pregnant female doctor regenerates as a man (time lords may be grown in pods for all I know - I'm new to Doctor Who).
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Aug 2013 12:52:34 1,507 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its fucking sad how groups want to change a character to tick a box or because their are biased in some way (racially, sexually etc) But its quite common in sci-fi for very angry and vocal (and who are complete cunts) rabidly demand for a character to be changed. I agree with tarick, no problems if they cast a female doctor (whatever the actress' ethnicity) as long as they are not doing because of some mad fans

The same goes for jobs, don't employ someone because it ticks a box
  • iancognito 17 Aug 2013 13:56:34 797 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A female Doctor sounds like a gimmick but I can see why some people keep pushing the issue.

It's the sort of thing that might happen in an 80s or 90s series as a final attempt to get viewers. If there were more female leads in films, TV and games it wouldn't get the same pressure each time an actor left the role.

Women lead roles were pretty much limited to Lara Croft and Buffy. Men star in just about everything else. James Bond, Dr Who, Jason Bourne, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Rocky, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Sopranos, Star Wars, Star Trek, Buzz Lightyear and Woody, Austin Powers, Harry Potter, Fast & Furious, Die Hard, Angel. So I can see why people try to push for more women lead rolls.
  • Folant 17 Aug 2013 14:07:49 1,143 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Black, female, ginger and lesbian. Who is racist.(The Doctor, not the actress).

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Page

of 373 First / Last