The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 346

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• spamdangled 4 Aug 2013 21:20:56 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bbvDJC wrote:
    Hasn't he already been in an episode? How does that work then?
    They'll ignore it probably, or explain it away as something along the lines of "his body takes the form of someone he's been in physical contact with", like an imprint or something. But the only one who was with him in that episode was Donna, and she's lost her memory now (unless that's sorted out as well in the Anniversary, as Donna is in it iirc).

Edited by darkmorgado at 21:22:09 04-08-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• nickthegun 4 Aug 2013 21:22:12 55,877 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They will 100% completely ignore it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Folant 4 Aug 2013 21:29:40 1,144 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Next Doctor should be a Despicable Me minion. It'd be perfect, everyone loves those guys and it'll give the fan boy whovian dweeks an aneurysm.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• YenRug 4 Aug 2013 22:16:58 1,757 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • drhcnip 4 Aug 2013 22:21:39 2,267 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @bbvDJC

worked for colin baker....;)
  • Robot_Chubby 4 Aug 2013 22:53:32 260 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    He was the main.. antagonist is probably the wrong word.. but he played a dude in a Torchwood mini series.

The standard procedure is to completely ignore it. Dr. Who has a long and illustrious history of people impressing with bit parts and getting an upgraded role.
    His character arc in Torchwood CoE was as good as that ridiculous fucking show ever got. It's proof (as if it were needed) that he can do ultra dark stuff as well as having faultless comic ability. I really cannot wait to see him in the role, and I hope that MS leaves a little earlier than the very end of the Xmas special.
  • Immaterial 5 Aug 2013 00:06:45 1,260 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll just leave this here...

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• spamdangled 5 Aug 2013 01:23:43 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Robot_Chubby

Nah, he'll pop up in the last scene to keep people watching the episode and to act as a teaser for the next series. It's always the way - a regeneration has ALWAYS been the very final scene.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Ranger_Ryu 5 Aug 2013 01:56:48 975 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    he'll say a line at the most.........
  • DanB24 5 Aug 2013 06:41:42 1,391 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bbvDJC wrote:
    It's happened before. Colin Baker who played the 6th Doctor appeared in Arc of Infinity, a 5th Doctor story before being cast as the Doctor himself a year or 2 later.
  • TarickStonefire 5 Aug 2013 07:19:29 2,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    bbvDJC wrote:
    It's happened before. Colin Baker who played the 6th Doctor appeared in Arc of Infinity, a 5th Doctor story before being cast as the Doctor himself a year or 2 later.
    And i think the actresses that played both Martha and Amy were in episodes before they got cast as assistants.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• spamdangled 5 Aug 2013 07:26:57 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    DanB24 wrote:
    bbvDJC wrote:
    And i think the actresses that played both Martha and Amy were in episodes before they got cast as assistants.
    Martha definitely was (the Dalek v Cybermen two-part season finale where Rose got trapped in the parallel universe at the end), not as Martha though (it was explained as her cousin or something I think). Amy hadn't though (needed to check that though).

As an aside, I just learned via Wikipedia that Karen Gillen is one of the main cast in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film by Marvel. Nice to see an assistant move on to better things after Who instead of being swallowed up by it and typecast for eternity ever after. For a nice change.

Edited by darkmorgado at 07:27:38 05-08-2013

• King_Edward 5 Aug 2013 07:32:40 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Miss Pond has shaved her head for that GotG gig too. Looks alright.
  • drhcnip 5 Aug 2013 08:22:01 2,267 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    karen gillan was in fires of pompeii
  • Ashleyfiddes 5 Aug 2013 08:37:09 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    good choice of doctor poor reveal
  • stephenb 5 Aug 2013 09:47:45 2,677 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm just going to keep seeing him eating the rabbit in local hero.

Hope I can get past that because I think he's an excellent choice. Might not appeal to the kids as much.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• X201 5 Aug 2013 09:51:02 14,698 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its going to bring back the parent child dynamic between the Doctor and assistant, which will be a relief from the "Isn't he dreamy" route that assistants have been pushed down since the re-start.

Edited by X201 at 09:51:21 05-08-2013
  • Darren 5 Aug 2013 11:19:27 8,321 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the new Doctor Who actor looks like a great choice. He's 55 so he's hopefully going to be a more mature and restrained Doctor in the vein of Jon Pertwee. That can only be a good thing after the 'Street Cred' goofy annoyingness of Matt Smith's character, who is a great actor but was seldom given decent scripts to work with, instead having to contend with too much comedy and not enough drama. I'm all for light-hearted moments in a family show but not when they dominate it and threaten to undermime any sense of tension in the stories.

I really would like to see a more mature and darker Doctor Who personally that emphasises drama and stories over all the family/companion nonsense and much of the silliness that has permeated (and ruined) much of New Who. I'd also like to see the Doctor return to being a more normal eccentric personality that doesn't have this huge ego complex because everyone in the Universe knows who he was. The way Matt Smith used to jump around like a teenager on a sugar rush and act all self-important in front of enemies like the Daleks used to make me cringe; I don't blame the actor really but the poor scripts that made his character look like a right douche bag IMO. Let's have a grittier sci-fi Doctor Who and less of the comedy fantasy please!

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Spong 5 Aug 2013 11:36:47 524 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone notice that Capaldi played a W.H.O. Doctor in World War Z? I think Moffat visited his IMDb page and got confused.
  • spamdangled 5 Aug 2013 11:49:28 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also, I'd like more Bottle episodes.

The series has lost its shine when it comes to plots by focusing too much on special effects and trying to make everything bigger and louder than before. You wouldn't get a great story like The Caves of Androzani or The Daemons in the new series, because everything is hyper-condensed and focused on flashy CGI for kids with the attention span of a newt.

Also, I like story arcs as much as the next guy but why the bloody hell does everything have to revolve around the Companion all the time? Character development is fine, but making the companions into "the" mystery, with all the ancillary guff about their family dramas and domestics persistently intruding on getting on with actual story-telling, means the whole thing feels like some awful Mary Sue fanfic.

Doctor Who works best when it focuses on a Damn Good Story, especially when it tackles social, political and historical issues like the old series used to do constantly (Caves of Androzani, Genesis of the Daleks etc). Interjecting every other scene for Another-Lovely-Relationship-Building-Moment-With-The-Companion would be fine if the stories were given more time to breathe. As it is though, they end up taking up far too much screen-time of a story which has to be started, developed and finished in one or two 40-minutes episodes.

• TarickStonefire 5 Aug 2013 12:14:25 2,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    karen gillan was in fires of pompeii
    As was Capaldi, no? Someone get the cast list for that episode, so we know who to put bets on when Capaldi moves on from the role! ;)

• Deleted user 5 August 2013 12:14:41
    Dunno about this appointment. Seems a bit lazy to me. Peter is a good actor, no question of that for me, I just kinda feel it's a bit of a meh casting.

Torchwood is set in the same universe as doctor who and Peter played a great role in that. Think I'm happier to see John Hurt play as the doctor at the moment.

Peter Capaldi played a key role in Fires of Pompeii and in the torch wood episode where he kills himself.

Edited by SG59 at 12:21:44 05-08-2013
  • nickthegun 5 Aug 2013 12:19:09 55,877 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the response of 'HURT! FUCK YEAH!' may have gone some way to convincing them it was about time for an old guy with some proper chops to have a crack.

Im looking forward to it as, hopefully, it will completely change the tone of the series which it really, really, really needs. You cant have a nearly 60 year old bloke pegging it about with a 21 year old girl to the dulcet tones of the welsh chase music orchestra anymore, thank fuck.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• TarickStonefire 5 Aug 2013 12:22:40 2,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    Dunno about this appointment. Seems a bit lazy to me. Peter is a good actor, no question of that for me, I just kinda feel it's a bit of a meh casting.
    Couldn't disagree more. Meh? Absolutely not! Electrifyingly good choice, I punched the air when it was revealed. He's suitably different to the last three actors that played the role, and so long as they don't just write him exactly the same speeches as the last three doctors got ("Ooh! Humans! How amusing! I love them! Oooh! Humans! Aren't they great? Humans!" etc) there's room for a real departure, a Doctor with gravitas and authority.

And how is it "lazy"? Because he's been in a few episodes before? Honestly, so what?

• Deleted user 5 August 2013 12:23:43
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think the response of 'HURT! FUCK YEAH!' may have gone some way to convincing them it was about time for an old guy with some proper chops to have a crack.

Im looking forward to it as, hopefully, it will completely change the tone of the series which it really, really, really needs. You cant have a nearly 60 year old bloke pegging it about with a 21 year old girl to the dulcet tones of the welsh chase music orchestra anymore, thank fuck.
    The biggest problem I have with the newer series is the writing. A lot of the later half of Matt Smith's years have been forgettable in my opinion.

TarickStonefire wrote:
    SG59 wrote:
    Couldn't disagree more. Meh? Absolutely not! Electrifyingly good choice, I punched the air when it was revealed. He's suitably different to the last three actors that played the role, and so long as they don't just write him exactly the same speeches as the last three doctors got ("Ooh! Humans! How amusing! I love them! Oooh! Humans! Aren't they great? Humans!" etc) there's room for a real departure, a Doctor with gravitas and authority.

And how is it "lazy"? Because he's been in a few episodes before? Honestly, so what?

Yup. He's played key parts in both episodes too. Fires of Pompeii he's on almost every scene and he's a character the doctor saves. In Torchwood we see him being put in a horrible position and was probably the best character in the episode. He ended up killing himself too.

Edited by SG59 at 12:28:00 05-08-2013
  • Chopsen 5 Aug 2013 12:25:19 15,178 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They'll probably give it a go. They should dress the his assistant up as a school girl, and have the doctor handing out free sweets to get people to come in to the tardis. In a prime time BBC family show. It'd be AMAZING.
  • neilka 5 Aug 2013 12:27:21 14,942 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now they just need to replace absolutely everyone else involved with the production and it might stand a chance of being good.

Edited by neilka at 12:28:09 05-08-2013
  • TarickStonefire 5 Aug 2013 12:29:00 2,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

The biggest problem I have with the newer series is the writing. A lot of the later half of Matt Smith's years have been forgettable in my opinion.
    I don't have a problem with some episodes not being the most memorable episode in the world. I can't remember half the TV I've watched, and I only watch 'good' stuff. Some episodes are stellar, some are a bit weak, others are just fine.

I rewatched the first two eps of Ecclestone's run the other week, and Oh My God They Are Bad. In fact I think he's *terrible* in most of it, which I put down entirely to the writing - the writing on Doctor Who has *never* been 10/10 every week, even back in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

• Deleted user 5 August 2013 12:36:55
    Oh, I don't expect it to be pure gold. I just want it to have a solid structure. A lot of the time I find each episode starts strong then just fades away.
  • Page

of 373 First / Last