The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 342

• Page

of 388 First / Last

• TarickStonefire 2 Aug 2013 12:57:27 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    @TarickStonefire and unfortunately too Scottish for the us audience
    I'm sure if he actually got the gig he'd be able to do something about that. It was part of the Tucker character, but I'm sure he could summon up something more 'Thames'...

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 2 Aug 2013 12:58:32 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Spong wrote:
    Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Next-Doctor-will-be-revealed-on-Sunday-04-August
    What. The. Fuck.

Milking it for every last drop of ratings.
    I've changed my mind about this now. Kids'll love it, and Doctor Who is for kids. And Americans.

I just hope it isn't basically a special episode of You're Hired, with Dara O'Briain.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:58:57 02-08-2013

• BinaryBob101 2 Aug 2013 13:45:14 22,961 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It'll be Damian Malony from Being Human. The Toby Whitehouse connection.

The Grumpy Vaper

• nickthegun 2 Aug 2013 14:02:33 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont think hes got it in him to do the whole 'running about like a cunt' thing.

Although, having said that, his rendition of putting on the ritz was a delight, so what do I know?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• X201 2 Aug 2013 15:18:53 15,476 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • BinaryBob101 2 Aug 2013 16:38:33 22,961 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @nickthegun it's too big a gig to say no to and he's young enough. He's got the chops I reckon.

The Grumpy Vaper

• TheMightyRose 2 Aug 2013 16:57:13 174 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They need to go with an older actor this time.

I know it will never happen but I would love to see Alan Rickman as the Doctor. He could play him like the Sheriff of Nottingham from Robin Hood, although obviously as a good guy. That would be worth watching.

I liked the DT and MS portrayals but at times I felt they needed to tone it down and not run around acting excitedly like kids on xmas morning most of the time. The Doctor should at times act like the wise old man he is.
  • spamdangled 2 Aug 2013 17:41:34 27,355 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've always found the DT and MS performances far too similar. It felt like he's changed his face, but not his personality, unlike the CE - DT change, which was far more pronounced.

The only difference is that Matt Smith didn't go round saying "I'm sorry, I'm SO sorry" to everyone within earshot.

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:43:02 02-08-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Robot_Chubby 2 Aug 2013 17:49:20 260 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I've always found the DT and MS performances far too similar. It felt like he's changed his face, but not his personality, unlike the CE - DT change, which was far more pronounced.

The only difference is that Matt Smith didn't go round saying "I'm sorry, I'm SO sorry" to everyone within earshot.
    This is true.

Have to wonder if Moff got him to act like DT to try and get people to accept him more. I too hope there is more of a pronounced change this time.
  • spamdangled 2 Aug 2013 18:03:51 27,355 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's my thoughts. Tenant was so popular that they thought they needed to retain most of his character to make the transition easier on people.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• M83J01P97 2 Aug 2013 18:26:04 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's another reason I don't think they will be going down the mature route this time, DT and MS have both been wildly popular with the kids because they were both young men (DT looked a lot younger than he actually is in the show IMO) for the BBC to suddenly say "Here kids, a start putting posters of this 40 year old on your wall!" seems unlikely.

Let's not forget that dreadful Twitter trend once this years finale was shown with a lot of the 'yoof' having absolutely no idea who John Hurt is and going crazy when they thought he was replacing MS (we didn't know he was leaving then remember).

As much as I trust Moffat to make the right decision, I sadly think the suits at the BBC have more of a say in the decision then they should do.
  • Folant 2 Aug 2013 18:26:13 1,169 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They're not really alike much at all though, are they? Apart from being the Doctor, there is quite a large gulf between them.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• M83J01P97 2 Aug 2013 18:28:41 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MS has picked up a lot of DT's mannerisms over the past year or so I think.

He was a breath of fresh air in his first few episodes, but as time has gone by he hasn't really gone off in his own direction with the character, which is probably more to do with the writing than MS himself.
  • spamdangled 2 Aug 2013 18:29:06 27,355 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Folant

Such as?

(and please don't say bow ties and fish fingers in custard)

Genuinely curious, because I can't see much separating them at all. Hell, Mat Smith even says allons-ey on a fair few occasions.

If anything I see him as David Tenant on speed. Same personality, just ramped up slightly higher.

Edited by darkmorgado at 18:30:48 02-08-2013

• Folant 2 Aug 2013 18:39:24 1,169 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Such as having a broader range of character.
    DT was tight here, very constricted, very reserved in a lot of ways and very focused where MS is more.... Dare I say, Wibbly Wobbly.
    With the exception of a couple of episodes, MS is more everything than DT. Fun, childlike, naive, rage, angry, sad. Blah blah blah

And Bow ties and Fish Fingers and Custard.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Robot_Chubby 2 Aug 2013 18:43:09 260 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When he started, I remember there being comparisons with Troughton, but you'd be hard pressed to find an example of that now.

I can remember the excitement (in here and elsewhere) when we knew Moff was taking over. It was Obama-esque. It's inevitable that he and his cast would struggle to live up to it.

It does seem that any major character difference in MS's portrayal barely lasted past the third episode or so.

Edited by Robot_Chubby at 18:44:05 02-08-2013
  • nickthegun 2 Aug 2013 19:08:10 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would actually be delighted if the whole thing was a fake out and it really was William Hurt.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Ashleyfiddes 2 Aug 2013 19:14:40 980 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado I felt that ms was more a early dt towards the end tennent become really dark whereas I don't think we really saw more then a few flashes of darkness from smith
  • Robot_Chubby 3 Aug 2013 08:40:30 260 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On the outside chance that they are actually thinking about older actors, what do you lot think of Reece Shearsmith?
  • TarickStonefire 3 Aug 2013 11:07:00 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Robot_Chubby wrote:
    On the outside chance that they are actually thinking about older actors, what do you lot think of Reece Shearsmith?
    I wouldn't be happy. I'd just see every character he ever played in League of Gentlemen. Also, with the exception of Ecclestone, it's rarely been someone that's been in a load of fairly high profile shows. I think he's too easily recognised.

• TarickStonefire 3 Aug 2013 11:09:16 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    @darkmorgado I felt that ms was more a early dt towards the end tennent become really dark whereas I don't think we really saw more then a few flashes of darkness from smith
    I actually entirely disagree - I thought Tennant was just Mr Pantomime Hammy Actor from start to finish, getting progressively hammier. He was never menacing, or dark, just really really hammy. Whereas I think Matt Smith has had a streak of darkness constantly chomping away in the background. I've always felt there are issues trying to bubble to the surface in his Doctor.

• YenRug 3 Aug 2013 18:51:13 2,188 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whilst I'm curious to see who will be the next Doctor, especially with the large 12th shoes to fill and see how they eventually resolve how to replace them, I'm actually finding myself a lot more curious to know why the suddenly announced live show, especially the extreme short notice.

I'm sort of bouncing between it being because someone's threatening to reveal who it is and this is a hope to pre-empt it, to some extent, or that it's actually going to be someone already pretty well known, so they feel they have to make something of revealing them. It could be something as simply crass as hype for the US market, especially if, god(s) forbid, they've gone with a Yank for the role, but I'm hoping it's something more than that.

What does everyone else think, any suggestions?
  • Slarti42 3 Aug 2013 18:56:43 69 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They start filming the Xmas special in the next few weeks. Keeping it quiet will become a whole lot more difficult!
  • kalel 3 Aug 2013 19:04:16 87,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's being announced tomorrow.
  • YenRug 3 Aug 2013 21:11:04 2,188 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kalel No! Really? Are you sure the last page and a bit of posts hasn't been talking about exactly that? I think I'd better go back and check, it looks like I might have missed some news!
  • YenRug 3 Aug 2013 21:32:59 2,188 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Peter Capaldi 'almost certainly' new Doctor, say bookies...
  • Daryoon 4 Aug 2013 01:58:48 4,629 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:Genuinely curious, because I can't see much separating them at all. Hell, Mat Smith even says allons-ey on a fair few occasions.
    Yeah, and he's said he'll "reverse the polarity" a few times, and done some judo manoeuvres. HE'S JUST A BLAND COPY OF PERTWEE!!

Smith had a completely different style to Tennant. Maybe people just don't pay attention? I dunno. Either way, I blame TV Tropes.
  • RichieTenenbaum 4 Aug 2013 02:11:01 2,209 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Misha Collins

'also, in totally unrelated news, i'll have a very exciting announcement tomorrow. Hint: it has something to do with the UK and phone booths.'
  • Page

of 388 First / Last