The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 339

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• spindizzy 3 Jun 2013 10:40:59 6,400 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd absolutely love that - unfortunately I think Doctor Who is firmly aimed at the younger audience, and they'd complain loudly and bitterly if it changed too much. I'll just be happy if they resist the temptation to make the Doctor a good-looking teenager...
  • Chopsen 3 Jun 2013 10:44:00 15,124 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's why I'd like it to be a spin-off, so freeing it from the restrictions of the current format and brand. Don't even call it Dr Who, just set in the same universe. We'll work it out.
  • M83J01P97 3 Jun 2013 11:03:13 6,382 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So a little like Torchwood was going to be..........
  • nickthegun 3 Jun 2013 11:19:03 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dont think torchwood was ever going to rise above 'dr who with bumming' and when it tried, it was fucking terrible. In fact, I was kind of glad the last mini series was so bad because it finally put the whole idea out of its misery.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:20:04 03-06-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Chopsen 3 Jun 2013 11:25:25 15,124 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    So a little like Torchwood was going to be..........
    Yeah, that occurred to me as I was typing it.

Torchwood was awful, and was actually worse than Dr Who.

There is, apparently, nobody working in British TV that can do sci-fi.
  • nickthegun 3 Jun 2013 11:28:14 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is but it has to be very low key to the point that no one watches it.

We can do stuff like misfits, being human, in the flesh and ultraviolet but as soon as we get remotely ambitious it all turns to shit.

He totally called it

• Chopsen 3 Jun 2013 11:32:58 15,124 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True, I'd forgotten about them. Thought Ultraviolet was a hundred years ago, and Misfits ran out of ideas really quickly.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jun 2013 11:38:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's because we don't have the budgets to really do sci fi justice. Everything has to be compromised again an again.
  • nickthegun 3 Jun 2013 11:40:09 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, its true, but there has been other stuff over the years and its all been pretty low key. I think having no budget causes us to get really creative but having some budget causes us to try and make it look like we have lots of budget and fail.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 3 June 2013 11:40:51
    The Fades was a decent British Sci-fi.
  • RobAnybody 3 Jun 2013 11:41:01 824 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    There is but it has to be very low key to the point that no one watches it.

We can do stuff like misfits, being human, in the flesh and ultraviolet but as soon as we get remotely ambitious it all turns to shit.
    This is true - the only exception being Sapphire & Steel; to me that worked (and still works) extremely well. Well written, inventive, thought-provoking, well made stories, with only the first one being aimed (originally) at the wee kiddies.

And all done on a budget that wouldn't pay for the visual f/x on just one episode of 'New Who'.
  • nickthegun 3 Jun 2013 11:41:47 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, there was that show on a while ago with Apollo off BSG. The one where we were repopulating a planet. That had money but ended up aping the worst, most boring traits of modern american sci-fi: the family potboiler.

He totally called it

• Chopsen 3 Jun 2013 11:50:05 15,124 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, "Outsiders" or something it was called. That was awful as well.

SG59 wrote:
    The Fades was a decent British Sci-fi.
    It was. One of the bestest things in a while that. And the BBC decided to not commission any more after the first season. Great.
  • nickthegun 3 Jun 2013 11:57:46 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, yeah, I think we could do a pitch black mini-series with John Hurt showing why The Doctor is the most dangerous man in the universe rather than a lucky gimp who relies on the stupidity of his enemies.

He totally called it

• M83J01P97 3 Jun 2013 12:02:06 6,382 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The trouble is, British studios, and to a lesser extent, American studios as well are just too afraid to take risks when it comes to new shows anymore. Anything that doesn't neatly fit an already tried and tested formula gets thrown to the bottom of the pile because the executives don't know what the shows demographic will be... Which is their biggest concern now a days as it ties into where the profit will ultimately come from.

When Amazon/YouTube/Netflx et al. announced they would start making their own shows their was a glimmer of hope that some more original ideas might surface, but so far they have all stuck to the familiar as well.
  • nickthegun 3 Jun 2013 12:06:11 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, i was reading an interview with Joe Hill yesterday and he reeled off a list of failed series Fox decided to play it safe with rather than pick up Locke and Key for a full season.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 3 June 2013 12:13:52
    Post deleted
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jun 2013 12:42:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why on my phone is the last page of this thread from 5 months ago, yet it's on the forum front page..?!
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jun 2013 12:45:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @M83J01P97 but at least in America if something is popular they throw enough money at it to make it work. Doctor who has been damaged by budget cuts, the lack of episodes this forces is probably a large part of why episodes have to force too much plot in rather than take risks
  • M83J01P97 3 Jun 2013 12:49:09 6,382 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @M83J01P97 but at least in America if something is popular they throw enough money at it to make it work. Doctor who has been damaged by budget cuts, the lack of episodes this forces is probably a large part of why episodes have to force too much plot in rather than take risks
    Exactly.

Doctor who is a cash cow for the BBC, so why they constantly decide to fuck around with it's budget and production is beyond me.

They just need to go back to 13 episode series starting every Easter with a Christmas special and leave it at that.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jun 2013 12:51:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @M83J01P97 agreed. The more they cut it the more they damage it.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jun 2013 12:52:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I dont think torchwood was ever going to rise above 'dr who with bumming'
    Hang on. Are you saying Captain Jack was gay? But he was such a ladies man!
    Damn, this is like Top Gun all over again.
  • M83J01P97 3 Jun 2013 12:57:36 6,382 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I dont think torchwood was ever going to rise above 'dr who with bumming'
    Hang on. Are you saying Captain Jack was gay? But he was such a ladies man!
    Damn, this is like Top Gun all over again.
    Not gay. Omisexual...

It's almost like he was created by someone who was trying to subtly make a point right?...
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Jun 2013 13:01:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @M83J01P97 I didn't think RTD did subtle...
  • faux_carnation 3 Jun 2013 13:38:11 8,479 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone suggested Chiwetel Ejiofor for the new Doctor yet? He gets my vote.
  • TarickStonefire 3 Jun 2013 13:59:41 2,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They cast the new Doctor in January, and it's not going to be a woman.

Or Idris Fucking Elba for that matter, who gets mentioned every time, it's so boring. He's never going to be Bond either, but just you watch who all the papers drone on about next time Daniel Craig threatens/makes good on his regular threat to quit Bond.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 3 Jun 2013 14:01:38 2,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    The best woman for the part would be River, surely they could string together some hokum gibberish to make that happen?
    The best woman for the part would be someone we've not seen before, who isn't a staple of British TV.

• TarickStonefire 3 Jun 2013 14:03:03 2,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Looks like we won't be waiting long to find out who the next Doctor is, lots of people on Twitter revealing that they've been involved in a massive auditioning process for the past few weeks, which suggests they aren't going with an established actor again.
    Personally I don't think that's true. I suspect they long since cast the next Doc.

• RobTheBuilder 3 Jun 2013 14:06:39 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Given the regeneration happens in the feature length episode I expect it's already been filmed.
  • Page

of 373 First / Last