The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 337

• Page

of 407 First / Last

• nickthegun 20 May 2013 14:15:14 61,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Not really. As far as I remember it was 'I was a dick in the time war' rather than 'I was an entirely different doctor who was a total badass in the timewar'.

Unless you meant the name thing, in which case, that must have passed me by while I was crying at bernard cribbins falling into the idiot trap.
    I meant the name thing.

The Doctor's name was chosen to represent "the one who fixes things". The Master chose his name to represent... well, it's pretty obvious really :D

This is before the idiot trap, right back during Martha's time.
    Ah. I think I have erased the magic tinkerbell jesus dctor from my memory.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 20 May 2013 14:15:54 61,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    God, RTD wrote some *proper* shite.

• spamdangled 20 May 2013 14:16:38 27,476 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 20 May 2013 14:17:59 27,476 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Makes me wander what "The Rani" is supposed to represent though. WTF is a "Rani"?

EDIT: Apparently it is Hindu for "Queen". So pretty much the same as the Master then, I guess.

Edited by darkmorgado at 14:18:58 20-05-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RobTheBuilder 20 May 2013 14:24:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    God, RTD wrote some *proper* shite.
    That he did. It worked for what was needed at the time to reinstate the series, but once it was up and running again it got tiresome very quickly.

The good thing about Moffat is that the crazy cross cross story lines provide a narrative that helps negate the weaker episodes. There have always been filler/budget saving stories, but whereas with RTD they were one off Deus Ex Machina snoozes, at least now there is a running set of mysteries to keep it watchable.
  • TarickStonefire 20 May 2013 14:55:18 3,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I would far rather watch that than another Best of Saturday Kitchen.
    Presumably that's a compilation of all the bits when James Fucking Arsing Twatting Martin wasn't presenting it?

I mean, I don't really watch SC, and never really did, and I'm not an AWT fan either. But James Martin is one of the least competent TV presenters I've ever seen getting paid royally week after week after month after year to stare awkwardly at the autocue and toss some eggs around in a pan for a couple of hours each weekend.

Plus, he's a twat.

Now back to Doctor Who. I think he's either an older Paul McGann Doctor, or the one that came between McGann and Ecclestone, and we've been lied to about the numbering.

My only real reasoning for this is that Ecclestone knew how the Time War ended and he wasn't very happy about his role in it. And Smith knew who Hurt was, which suggests to me he's not a Doctor that comes *after* Smith, unless the Doctor knows about all his future regenerations somehow?

EDIT: I know there's some character in old Who that prosecutes the Doctor, and it's said he's a much later regeneration of the Doctor, which would suggest that earlier regenerations do indeed know all about later regenerations due to WWTW, and also where his grave is (even though he presumably doesn't know how he eventually dies?), so maybe it's possible that it is actually a future 'Doctor'.

We'll all be wrong, I'm sure.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:57:40 20-05-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• nickthegun 20 May 2013 14:59:21 61,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since you mention it, i would rather watch james martin than Simon Rimmer and Tim Lovejoy, who I would dearly love to falcon punch into the sun.

• Spectral 20 May 2013 15:05:32 5,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TarickStonefire That prosecutor was the Valeyard, the GI mentioned in this ep.
  • M83J01P97 20 May 2013 15:06:43 6,711 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God, re-watching the RTD era episodes on Netflix right now and you forget how much of an embarrassing hack RTD was...

As weak as this last year or so of episodes has been under Moffat, at least we don't have Farting Aliens, Emo-Daleks, Noel Clarke's terrible acting, the Doctor saying "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" every episode, jokes about paving slabs giving blow jobs and of course the constant gay references that seem a lot more common now a days.

I do think they have wasted an opportunity with Matt Smith to create a really stand out Doctor though, the more I re-watch the more he reminds me of David Tennant.
  • Megapocalypse 20 May 2013 15:11:59 5,518 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He was quite different in his first few episodes. Almost seemed to dislike humans compared to Tennant's unconditional love of them. That seemed to fade quite quickly though.
  • spindizzy 20 May 2013 18:23:01 6,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    @spindizzy well a better explaination than WWTW. Still wouldn't explain having to change the bulb though. You'd be replacing the illusion of a bulb with a real one. I liked how the tardis's reverted to plain metal cylinders in the workshop.
    Me too! There were quite a few things I liked about that episode in fact...
  • RobTheBuilder 20 May 2013 18:43:51 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Megapocalypse yeah I miss that. Was nice to have a bit more of an edge to it
  • themanfromdelmonte 20 May 2013 21:37:42 595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    UK Gold did something similar a long time ago, they'd run a whole story in one go (difficult for some of the Jon Pertwee episodes which stretched over 8 or 10 weeks, iirc!) but either they didn't do or I missed the first two Doctors. Pretty sure I've only seen the odd story from both of those eras.
    The longest Pertwees are the 3, 7 parters from his 1st season (Silurians, Ambassadors of Death and Inferno).

While a fair chunk of Hartnell stories are complete, only 6 Troughtons exist in their entirety (8 now if you count the Animated Invasion and soon to be released Icewarriors).
  • themanfromdelmonte 20 May 2013 21:44:30 595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @GiarcYekrub

2's regeneration story is a cracker. But don't try and watch all 10 episodes in one go. I find it best to watch the 1st 5 or 6 episodes, on a one a day basis. Then as the story starts to build, splurge the last few in one go.
  • Spong 20 May 2013 23:36:55 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    ...the Doctor saying "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" every episode...
    *twitch*

I fucking hated that.
  • Blerk Moderator 20 May 2013 23:51:16 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    themanfromdelmonte wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    UK Gold did something similar a long time ago, they'd run a whole story in one go (difficult for some of the Jon Pertwee episodes which stretched over 8 or 10 weeks, iirc!) but either they didn't do or I missed the first two Doctors. Pretty sure I've only seen the odd story from both of those eras.
    The longest Pertwees are the 3, 7 parters from his 1st season (Silurians, Ambassadors of Death and Inferno).

While a fair chunk of Hartnell stories are complete, only 6 Troughtons exist in their entirety (8 now if you count the Animated Invasion and soon to be released Icewarriors).
    I'm quite surprised by both of those points. I had no idea so few complete Troughton stories existed, but I guess it stands to reason when I think about it - I'm pretty sure the only Troughton story I can ever remember seeing all the way through is The Krotons.

As for lengthy Pertwee stories, I think the one I was thinking of was 'Inferno' which I remember watching for hours and hours one Sunday morning many moons ago. 7 episodes didn't sound that long, but when you think about it that's 3.5 hours. Which is 'quite long'. :D
  • TarickStonefire 21 May 2013 10:53:56 3,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Since you mention it, i would rather watch james martin than Simon Rimmer and Tim Lovejoy, who I would dearly love to falcon punch into the sun.
    Hmm, I like Simon though. Lovejoy is an acquired taste, to be sure.

• TarickStonefire 21 May 2013 10:56:28 3,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Regarding "Matt Smith is just like David Tennant" I completely disagree. Tennant was constantly doing the whole "Oh HUMANS! Aren't they just LOVELY! Oh LOOK! DIFFERENT ALIENS! Oh wow I just LOVE different aliens! And look! HUMANS AGAIN! Oh how DELIGHTFUL!", whereas I find Matt Smith to be just as outgoing in the performance at times, but he comes across like a whimsical 900 year old man with rather a lot going on behind that forehead of his, while Tennant never seemed to be much deeper than an all-too-self-aware hammer-upper.

• ChronoTravis 21 May 2013 19:08:11 145 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hope we get to see John Hurt's Doctor interacting with Tennant and Smith in the 50th birthday episode. Also, I don't get all the complaining about the new companion, because she's super hot!
  • Nemesis 21 May 2013 22:34:51 18,747 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    I didn't even realise you could get an 'original series 1' box set. Where would I find such a thing, all my searches keep coming up with Christopher Eccleston stuff.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Beginning-Unearthly-Destruction/dp/B000C6EMTC/

I think pretty much everything is now available on DVD, apart from the missing ones obviously.

Thanks to a BBC strike in the 1970s, there is some Jon Pertwee stuff coming out on Blu-Ray.

This was useful too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_DVDs
    God, where to begin. I would like to check out the earlier stuff. Is that boxed set a good place to start. Or are there better options ?
  • X201 21 May 2013 22:40:54 15,746 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:

God, where to begin. I would like to check out the earlier stuff. Is that boxed set a good place to start. Or are there better options ?
    Chronologically speaking its the absolute best place to start :-)
  • DanB24 21 May 2013 23:57:19 2,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup start at the start and work your way up to now. :)
  • Devilligan 22 May 2013 00:57:35 34 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Nemesis The Hartnell eps. are pretty slow in places and may put you off the classic series.

I'd recommend sampling a few stories from each Doctor and seeing what takes your fancy.

The Revisitations box sets are pretty great way of doing this as they tend to feature some of the very best stories or alternatively just pick up some classic single story discs.

From Hartnell's era I'd recommend:

The Beginnings Box-set to see, well, how it began.
    The Aztecs
    Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Tenth Planet (which is coming soon).

From Troughton's era I'd recommend:

The Invasion
    The Mind Robber
    The War Games

From Pertwee's era:

The Ambassadors of Death
    Inferno
    The Daemons
    The Claws of Axos
    The Green Death

From Tom Baker's era there's a wealth of riches, but I really like:

The Ark In Space
    The Seeds of Doom
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Deadly Assassin
    City of Death

From Davison's era:

Earthshock
    Four to Doomsday
    The Caves of Androzani (which is one of the Revisitations sets)

From Colin Baker's era:

The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks

And from McCoy's era:

The Curse of Fenric
    Remembrance of the Daleks
    Survival (mainly because it's the last ever classic Who story)

Hope that's some help.
  • mal 22 May 2013 01:26:30 22,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I saw The Curse of Fenric the other day, and found it pretty hokey, and still cursed by the presence of Ace and Sylvester McCoy.

On the other hand, I saw Caves of Androzani and thought it was terrific, despite the very dodgy cliffhangers and Peri's voice.

The only Troughton I've seen is Seeds of Death, which I enjoyed quite a lot. It's inventive, internally consistent and genuinely suspenseful, even if the limitations of the budget are very visible even in black and white. And I'm glad you didn't recommend Talons of Weng Chiang in your Tom Baker section, which seems to get recommended in other places, as I watched that and found the plot to be instantly forgettable if it weren't for the racist overtones, and the tacked-onness of the cliffhangers to be even worse than those in Androzani.

However, I'd advise against investing in old B&W episodes at the moment. Babelcolour's been doing all that colourisation work on the old tapes, so I assume there are going to be colour versions coming out sooner rather than later.

On, and on a related note, I just came across this Radio 4 round-table featuring some of the old hands from the Hartnell era which I found to be worth a listen for anyone interested in the older stuff.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• themanfromdelmonte 22 May 2013 19:50:26 595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Devilligan

That's not a bad list. Add Time Warrior to the Pertwee list and Kinda and Enlightenment to the Davisons.

The Colins are the best of a bad bunch. He was never really served well with good scripts. Such a pity that the hiatus season would have given us another Bob Holmes script as well as one by P.J.Hammond.

The last 2 McCoy seasons are much of a muchness, apart from Battlefield and Silver Nemisis they're all flawed in some way, but servicable stories.

Oh and add Stones of Blood and Warriors Gate to the Tom list...... And Talons :champo2:

@mal

Are you aware that Babelcolour colorizes in his spare time? If you'd want coloured B&W stories, they won't be coming out anytime soon.

With regards to the Hurt, Doctor. I was thinking the other day, that in some ways it would make more sense for him to be the 1st regeneration of the Timelord who became The Doctor. Afterall, the 1st screen Doctor was still very much going with the Timelord policy of none-interference for much of his run. He certainly doesn't seem like the kind of person to leave Gallifrean WMDs around for the 7th to wipe out the Daleks and Cybermen with. If the Hurt Doctor was the 1st and got upto such tomfoolery, it would explain why he had to run away from Gallifrey. We also know that The Doctor was friends with The Master when he was young (and Salliavin (sp?) if you count Shada as canon). It would also explain why The TARDIS chose him. A flawed, freshly regenerated Timelord who had the capacity to be turned to the good.

Of course no mention of trouble prior to running from Gallifrey is made during The Doctor's 2 trials and Hurt doesn't appear in the pre Hartnell faces when the Doctor mind duels with Morbius.
  • Nemesis 22 May 2013 22:23:48 18,747 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some great info there all; I think I need a cup of tea and a pen. Formulate a plan of attack and all that !

Really appreciate the replies thanks everyone.
  • mal 22 May 2013 22:36:54 22,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @themanfromdelmonte I thought part of the background to the recent hoohah about the BBC and his youtube account was he'd recently been doing some work for them? I assumed he'd been colourising their old tapes, but that's just an assumption to be fair.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• themanfromdelmonte 23 May 2013 19:07:23 595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mal

He recoloured Mind of Evil episode 1. The rest was restored using the chromadot technique. Episode 1 couldn't be done with this method, as it had been correctly filtered during telecini transfer to 16mm B&W. The work was undertaken on a voluntary basis, in his spare time and has taken many months.
  • santashi 24 May 2013 11:27:51 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Devilligan wrote:
    From Tom Baker's era there's a wealth of riches, but I really like:

The Ark In Space
    The Seeds of Doom
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Deadly Assassin
    City of Death
    The Robots of Death is still one of my favourite stories, personally. Great designs, atmosphere and storyline. Helium saves the day!

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• M83J01P97 1 Jun 2013 22:27:16 6,711 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So the worst kept secret is finally out. He isn't sticking around for series 8 as originally stated though.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 22:30:32 01-06-2013
  • Page

of 407 First / Last