The Official Doctor Who Thread

• Page

of 373 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 15 April 2006 20:12:59
    Well someone had to start it.

For me, I'm a bit 'meh' about it, having seen the first ep just now... I think it's because the 'for the kids' element just pisses me off. The script kept turning really twee; I like David Tennant as a presence onscreen, although I cringe at the ongoing characterisation of the Doctor as ever so overjoyed about life all the time (same with Chris Ecclestone); both the characters were very amusing when Cassandra jumped into them... Billie - well, she was actually very watchable as Cassandra, and yet still pretty cringeworthy as Rose (although I still blame the twee script for that)... And blimey, she's not going to catch a cold! I guess that's all the dads kept entertained then...

Overall it was entertaining and I don't really want to miss any in case something REALLY good happens plotwise, but generally I think I prefer my TV a little bit less sugar coated. I really don't remember the original Doctor Who being this 'sweet'. The trails for the rest of the series look pretty good, but then they only show all the action and the menace... If only that tone was kept up!

Edited by Owen-B at 20:30:31 15-04-2006
  • Chopsen 15 Apr 2006 20:27:55 15,161 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was god-awful myself.

Quite liked some of the episodes in the prev series (esp the WWII one and the one where they were stuck in a church).

Something about this weeks episode and the special before it was just...dunno. Didn't click.

/Will also be watching it just in case it turns good
  • CerealKey 15 Apr 2006 20:36:24 2,860 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /awaits 'this is shit' comments every week from the same people.
  • Tyronne 15 Apr 2006 20:38:08 1,043 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought it was pretty good for what it was and the cat makeup was not bad.
  • twinbee 15 Apr 2006 20:40:38 442 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Episodes written by RTD are a bit naff and this episode was no exception :/.
  • Deleted user 15 April 2006 20:41:52
    I for one thought it was absolutely magic.

David Tennant was brilliant. Really effortless. It's going to be a great series!
  • Deleted user 15 April 2006 20:42:06
    Owen-B wrote: And blimey, she's not going to catch a cold! I guess that's all the dads kept entertained then...

Ahem. *cough* Yes, that's right, Dads.

It definitely didn't feel as though it was firing on all cylinders; seemed as though there were too many threads going on, with none of them really having enough meat to comprise an entire episode, and the way both the main threads were resolved was a little bit too neat for my liking.

It was the comedy that kept me involved, tbh. Tennant mincing around as Cassandra and also his reaction to Rose's kiss were gloriously performed. I already like him a hell of a lot better than Eccleston.

Another issue I had was with the whole setting; zombies are a good deal less scary it white, brightly-lit corridors. Even the area that was presumably meant to be the dark, dank cellar of the place was blindingly well-lit. It just gave no sense of tension (and also made the entire thing look like it was, er, a TV set).

It was the historical, horror-themed episodes that were the previous series' strongest suit, I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see if that's going to be the case this series too...
  • Deleted user 15 April 2006 20:55:08
    CerealKey wrote:
    I've got a vested interest in this show - I grew up with Doctor Who, I like David Tennant, and I liked a lot of the last series - so I reserve the right to post my thoughts on it every week, and if it's shit, then yeah, I'll be saying it's shit, and if it's great fun I'll be saying that too. You don't have anything to add so why even bother reading the thread?!

Nekotcha - yeah I agree, it did feel a lot like a shiny polished film set at all times - it's all very well 'putting the money on the screen' but like you say, those zombies were rrrrrrrrubbish. Haven't they SEEN Shaun of the Dead? ;)

Mind you, I guess RTD thought he was being all clever by practically echoing the first episode of the last series, which ironically was one of the weakest and least involving of that run too...

I have high hopes for Mr Tennant :)

Edited by Owen-B at 20:55:18 15-04-2006
  • pjmaybe 15 Apr 2006 20:57:37 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Boring first episode, but I reckon Tennant'll do well. It's already weird seeing flashbacks to the previous series with Eccleston in the role...

I think the Cybermen episodes will be the high point but as for bringing K9 and Sarah Jane back......

ARRGHH!!

Peej
  • Retroid Moderator 15 Apr 2006 20:59:38 44,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So long as they continue to write the series aimed at kids rather than a family audience my expectations will remain low.
  • ekko 15 Apr 2006 21:00:43 904 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not a massive Dr. Who fan, but I thought it was alright for what it is. There were a few bits which could have been done better, but I'm not that fussy. As for the Special Effects - are they done badly on purpose? I don't care anyway really.

Tennant isn't as good as Ecceleston - he doesn't seem to get that intensity - I'm in the minority with that I'm sure, but Tennant is good enough and I hope he stays for more than one series.
  • CerealKey 15 Apr 2006 21:06:44 2,860 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    CerealKey wrote:
    I've got a vested interest in this show - I grew up with Doctor Who, I like David Tennant, and I liked a lot of the last series - so I reserve the right to post my thoughts on it every week, and if it's shit, then yeah, I'll be saying it's shit, and if it's great fun I'll be saying that too. You don't have anything to add so why even bother reading the thread?!

I'm waiting for the torrent to appear. :) I just don't understand the mentality that goes behind watching something you actively dislike week in, week out. Seem's like a fool's game, just like people who complain about TV shows having swear words, sex or violence. Don't like it, turn the fuck over.
  • Deleted user 15 April 2006 21:09:45
    CerealKey wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    CerealKey wrote:

I'm waiting for the torrent to appear. :) I just don't understand the mentality that goes behind watching something you actively dislike week in, week out. Seem's like a fool's game, just like people who complain about TV shows having swear words, sex or violence. Don't like it, turn the fuck over.
    Well that's why I don't watch Eastenders, or Casualty, or any of that shit. ;)

Like I say, I find the show pretty entertaining 'for what it is' but it feels like I just don't click with the audience they're aiming for somehow, with this insistence to build up a great idea and then compromise it with really clunky in-jokey scripts.
  • Deleted user 15 April 2006 21:14:37
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Boring first episode, but I reckon Tennant'll do well. It's already weird seeing flashbacks to the previous series with Eccleston in the role...

I think the Cybermen episodes will be the high point but as for bringing K9 and Sarah Jane back......

ARRGHH!!

Peej

I think the stuff from the K9/Sarah Jane episode looks great, personally. I think they'll have the sense to not overdo the K9 bits and Liz Sladen's a pretty good actress. Plus how can you go wrong with Tony Head in the cast?

I agree with Owen-B about the effects stuff. I think that rather than spend the effects budget on subtle, almost unnoticeable effects, they insist on having the 'money shots' that shout 'LOOK AT THE BIG FLASHY SPECIAL EFFECTS WE HAVE HERE! AREN'T THEY NICE AND SHINY!?', but inevitably end up overreaching and looking a bit cheap. It's another reason why the historical eps tend to work better.

I don't really get the 'aimed at kids' stuff that people continue to come out with. Excepting the toilet humour and slapstick that occasionally reared it's head in the first series, all of the episodes were very well-judged in terms of the variety of their appeal, I thought. I dunno, it seems to me as though until the Doctor comes charging out of the TARDIS, guns down a few innocents and swears loudly at their mothers before coming back home and taking Rose roughly from behind, there'll always be some people complaining it's 'aimed at kids'. It's a family programme; much of the darkness of it has to be hinted at rather than displayed onscreen.

And to be honest, the concept of a race of people bred purely for the purpose of being permanently subjected to a variety of crippling diseases just for the sake of curing a handful of others is hardly CBBC material...
  • CerealKey 15 Apr 2006 21:16:56 2,860 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wassup, Rose, I is travellin in time, innit? Now we is gonna pimp my box, bitch. Pass me those alloys!
  • Deleted user 15 April 2006 21:17:48
    nekotcha wrote:
    And to be honest, the concept of a race of people bred purely for the purpose of being permanently subjected to a variety of crippling diseases just for the sake of curing a handful of others is hardly CBBC material...
    Have you seen The Teletubbies...?

;)
  • Machetazo 15 Apr 2006 21:43:16 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found today's episode so-so, borderline disappointing. Some of it worked well, but it really lost me with the Doctor and co being chased by the plagued. It was more like a Scooby Doo chase, than anything else, as there was just no tension there whatsoever. The results of the main villain's exploits worked brilliantly though, very funny, and well done imo.

I was thinking at times today: "Does this show only work when there's an invasion of something?"
    I agree with those that said that the historical episodes from last series were great, especially the WW2 two-parter.

However, this is the first of the series, and without a major cliffhanger from the Christmas Invasion, then its not surprising that things will need time to pick up again, but we have seen the establishment of a new arc in the storyline already. I'll continue to watch, to see what happens next. :)

edit: attempt to keep spoilers away.

Edited by Machetazo at 21:44:27 15-04-2006
  • brains 15 Apr 2006 21:53:31 491 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I enjoyed it. Most of all it confirmed that I would like to give billie piper one.

Don't tell the missus.
  • Daryoon 15 Apr 2006 22:20:31 4,555 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Best bit was the Doctor channelling the spirit of MacGyver!
  • Whizzo 15 Apr 2006 22:31:46 42,759 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought it was pretty good, certainly the best thing that RTD has written for the show.

Disease ridden zombies killing everything they touched is quite strong stuff for a Saturday tea-time.

Cassandra's comments about being in a bouncy castle etc. were quite funny.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 15 April 2006 22:57:37
    Whizzo wrote:
    I thought it was pretty good, certainly the best thing that RTD has written for the show.

Disease ridden zombies killing everything they touched is quite strong stuff for a Saturday tea-time.

Cassandra's comments about being in a bouncy castle etc. were quite funny.
    Let's face it, Billie Piper has amazing tits.
  • BlackJedi 15 Apr 2006 23:09:29 387 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought it was amusing but slightly "meh". RTD never really gets to grips with the SF elements - for the first trip to an alien world for this era it was amazingly pedestrian. We got a painted backdrop of a future city, CG flying future cars, and the bland interior of a future hospital. Not exactly the stuff of legends. But then this is the writer who used identikit space stations in all of his off-planet stories last year - his SF imagination is pretty woeful.

And there were plotholes you could drive a truck through. Why were there thousands of experimental patients infected with diseases they already had cures for? What exactly was the point of that? If these people had been kept isolated in vats how did they learn to speak? Why did they have clothes?

However, there were things to enjoy. Billie's Cassandra was amusing, and DT was thoroughly convincing as the Doctor. The dialogue jumped about from dramatic to comedic, but the overall effect was still pretty good. I'm still upbeat about this season, and next week looks very promising indeed.
  • terminalterror 15 Apr 2006 23:28:11 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I liked it. Will have to wait 2 months to form more of an opinion on the series as I don't watch TV at uni, I get my parents to record a select few things and splurge on them when I get back.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2006 00:00:12
    BlackJedi wrote:
    And there were plotholes you could drive a truck through. Why were there thousands of experimental patients infected with diseases they already had cures for? What exactly was the point of that?
    I agree with all your points but... I'm going to nitpick the one I've quoted - immunisation to disease is generated by injecting you with a safe amount of the said disease (very generally speaking). The experimental patients weren't infected with diseases they already had cures for - they were infected with diseases they DIDN'T have cures for so that they could use said patients to try and find a cure. And once they find a cure they move on to the next disease...
  • BlackJedi 16 Apr 2006 00:32:31 387 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    The experimental patients weren't infected with diseases they already had cures for - they were infected with diseases they DIDN'T have cures for so that they could use said patients to try and find a cure. And once they find a cure they move on to the next disease...
    Yes, that would have made sense. Except the Doctor cured them all with the drugs they had lying around in one ward, so they obviously did have cures for all of them.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2006 00:53:59
    BlackJedi wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    The experimental patients weren't infected with diseases they already had cures for - they were infected with diseases they DIDN'T have cures for so that they could use said patients to try and find a cure. And once they find a cure they move on to the next disease...
    Yes, that would have made sense. Except the Doctor cured them all with the drugs they had lying around in one ward, so they obviously did have cures for all of them.
    Hmm. Fair point. Maybe they were the sources of the cures as well - farming the cure from the sick patients?

Also - spraying the cures onto them? Good god, I know the show likes to dumb down to appeal to the family audience, but give the kids SOME credit...

Edited by Owen-B at 00:55:02 16-04-2006
  • gerg 16 Apr 2006 12:29:31 880 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    BlackJedi wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    Hmm. Fair point. Maybe they were the sources of the cures as well - farming the cure from the sick patients?

Also - spraying the cures onto them? Good god, I know the show likes to dumb down to appeal to the family audience, but give the kids SOME credit...

Edited by Owen-B at 00:55:02 16-04-2006

They used the patients as guinae pigs to get the cures. If they didn't have the people, there would be no cure. They had the people, gave the diseases, and from that manifactured a cure.

Anyway, I can safely say that I was dissapointed with it. The whole episode lacked substance, feeling recycled from used plots. It's okay to travel in time again, but by the same ammount? The same characters? I thought Cassandra was dead - and it was a good dramatic death, too. I don't want her retconned back into existence,

Unfortunately next week's episode doesn't appear to improve on what I said. Victorian England again? Let's just hope that it's slightly better.

I don't think the new Doctor helps either.

It's undoubtably because the directors tried to do too much at once. They wanted the series to start with a bang, so crammed too much into one episode, in hopes that it would add layers of complexity and depth to the episode. However, I just think they underdeveloped both of the storylines. Either one could have been great in seperate episodes.

But in all fairness, the episode did have its highlights, especially concerning Cassandra switching bodies. It was funny to see her talk about her new body when in the Doctor and Rose for the first time.

"Oh my God, I'm a chav!"

Edited by gerg at 12:29:37 16-04-2006
  • Kronos 16 Apr 2006 12:38:19 547 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The CG seems to be a step up from last series based on footage of the next ep. Good furwork on the werewolf.

• Scurrminator Moderator 16 Apr 2006 12:56:00 8,284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah was going to say the cg werewolf in the trailer looked pretty decent.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Whizzo 16 Apr 2006 13:24:15 42,759 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What is obviously a BBC promo for the entire season is downloadable from here, some spoilers in there but given you don't know the context it's probably not going to do too much harm. Well other than the "homage" moment from Alien3 that's from next weeks episode...

Edited by Whizzo at 13:24:15 16-04-2006

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 373 First / Last

Previous