HD AV Cable, not actually HD!!

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 18:40:53 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi All,

As is often the case with first posts,mine is regarding the fact that I am pulling my hair out. Bought my 360 last week (deluxe pack) and was gutted to discover that the component HD cable was not compatible with my HDTV.
    Anyway, I purchased a HD VGA Cable from my local shop yesterday, plugged it in and noticed that I still didn't have the option to use HD.
    Now..here in lies the problem, upn closer inspection I noticed that the barcode and part number on the actual cable itself is not the same as the one on the box and infact the cable that I have packaged as a HD AV Cable is infact a "VGA Cable" no mention of HD on the actual product!!
    Did I mention that this is an official Microsoft Product? Well it is! And it is not what it says it is!
    Anyone else found one of these?
    Nightmare.

• Deleted user 11 April 2006 18:45:21
    No idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, component HD cable is HD, needs to be swithched to HD TV with the switch that's provided to switch to that mode.

VGA cable will give you HD as long as it's running 1280 x 720 (720p) or above, keeping the 16/9 ratio.
  • Freki 11 Apr 2006 18:45:27 166 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know this is going to sound really silly and probably a bit condascending, but you did flick the little switch on the cable from TV to HDTV? The bit where it plugs in to the Xbox?
  • djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 18:51:00 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeDiletante, think you may have jumped in a bit quick there. I am not suggesting that the component HD cable is not HD, what IO am saying is that the component HD cable is not compatible with my particular HDTV, therefore the only way of connecting my console to my HDTV is via the VGA socket....therefore I purchased a HD VGA cable. What I am saying is, the HD VGA cable is not HD! It has not switch nor does it say HD VGA cable on the actual product. The product in the actual packaging is a standard VGA cable and not HD at all. I imagine a product recall will soon be announced or are hundreds of gamers playing on their HD TVs with a standard VGA cable thinking they are getting something that they are not!
  • Deleted user 11 April 2006 18:54:06
    LeDilettante wrote:
    VGA cable is HD as long as it's running 1280 x 720 (720p) or above and keeping the 16/9 ratio.

Again with feelings.

EDITED for clarity.

Edited by LeDilettante at 18:54:51 11-04-2006
  • Deleted user 11 April 2006 18:55:37
    Who knows where I can purchase a HD VGA cable?
  • djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 18:55:46 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I am totally missing the point I would be glad if soeone could point me in the right direction. When I put the "HD" VGA cable into my television, I cannot use the HD mode on the Set. Basically I can go into PC mode however the Dashboard states that in order to use HD Mode, I need to insert a HD VGA cable.....which is what I though I had purchased.
    If someone has a "HD" VGA cable, would they be kind enough to tell me what it says on the actual cable itself i.e. does it say HD VGA cable, or VGA cable as mine does...

Cheers
  • djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 18:59:19 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, nice to see I have sifted out the forum "know all" on my first try.
    If you have nothing constructive or helpful to add can I suggest you go stick your head in an oven. Thanks.

Yes, my television is the Philips 26PF5520D Hd ready LCD. Not compatible with the HD Component cable. Connect the VGA through DVI adaptor.

Cheers

• djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 19:01:04 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks Ahab.

this is what I have purchased.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/product.asp?id=xb360a011

Clearly....a HD VGA cable.Thats what it says on the tin anyway!

• djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 19:05:04 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 19:05:41 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    Who knows where I can purchase a HD VGA cable?

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/cat.asp?cat=xbox360&t=accessories
  • djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 19:08:43 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi Ahab,

yeah I get a picture....and its good, no doubt. Its the fact that the Dashboard says that you need to connect a HD cable in order to use HD mode,perhaps I am expecting too much i.e. another menue or somethign in order to activate HD. If you are telling me that the HD functionailty is purely an extra option in the resolution field i.e. 1366x768 perhaps I missed it.

Thanks for your help.

Love your lightsabre LeDilettante. Sap.
  • morriss 11 Apr 2006 19:13:59 70,749 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Join forum, create a thread that others have to grit their teeth in order not to laugh because you're new and we're nice, then you go and insult a regular. Not good.

LeDil was only playing.

Edited by morriss at 19:14:29 11-04-2006
  • Deleted user 11 April 2006 20:02:34
    Ahab wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Join forum, create a thread that others have to grit their teeth in order not to laugh because you're new and we're nice, then you go and insult a regular. Not good.

LeDil was only playing.

Edited by morriss at 19:14:29 11-04-2006

LeDilettante is a bit of an asshole though, no problems imo.

Oh thanks, just act like I'm not here. Hey I did give the answer he was looking for, at the first time of asking.
  • Tricky 11 Apr 2006 20:13:52 4,303 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't get the fact that you're saying that your TV isn't compatible with the HD component lead that comes with the box. How come? Have you switched the switch at the Xbox end of the component lead to HD? What happens when you try and use the lead with your TV?

And doesn't the VGA lead have a similar switch on the Xbox end of the lead?
  • Deleted user 11 April 2006 20:16:05
    Tricky wrote:

No it doesn't. When connected through VGA the dashboard will let you set the resolution. 720p is 1280 x 720.
  • mal 11 Apr 2006 20:19:38 21,962 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    I don't get the fact that you're saying that your TV isn't compatible with the HD component lead that comes with the box. How come? Have you switched the switch at the Xbox end of the component lead to HD? What happens when you try and use the lead with your TV?

I think the problem is that TV doesn't have component inputs.

However, looking online, it's supposed to come with a component to VGA convertor. Probably better off with a direct VGA connector though - if it could be made to work, that is.

Edited by mal at 20:20:09 11-04-2006

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Tricky 11 Apr 2006 20:20:53 4,303 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    Tricky wrote:

No it doesn't. When connected through VGA the dashboard will let you set the resolution. 720p is 1280 x 720.

Yeah but he's saying that the dashboard won't let you set any HD settings which is what you get if you've got a non-HD lead connected so something very fishy is going on here.
  • BartonFink 11 Apr 2006 20:21:50 34,778 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh dear I am disappointed at the level of pacifism in this thread. Normally this type of post would have been savaged from the get go.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2006 20:24:15
    He should still be seeing various resolutions to choose from. If he can't see 1280 x 720 among the choices then there is definitely something wrong with the cable.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2006 20:25:28
    BartonFink wrote:
    Oh dear I am disappointed at the level of pacifism in this thread. Normally this type of post would have been savaged from the get go.

Still I got called a sap and an asshole. That's for trying to help while poking so mild fun at djgit_uk.
  • Teeth 11 Apr 2006 20:25:56 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You took it well, though.
  • Tricky 11 Apr 2006 20:27:08 4,303 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    He should still be seeing various resolutions to choose from. If he can't see 1280 x 720 among the choices then there is definitely something wrong with the cable.

I take it you've never connected your 360 to an SDTV then LeDil? I'm assuming not because then you'd know that you get no resolution options and it tells you that you can't access any HD options because you haven't got a HD lead connected.

I reckon you've got a faulty lead djgit_uk - take it back for an exchange.

Edited by Tricky at 20:27:47 11-04-2006
  • Deleted user 11 April 2006 20:28:39
    Thanks, I'm trying to be a better forumite as I realise I often come across as an asshole despite my best intentions. Then again the other day I did behave like an asshole when I snapped at poor Talha.
  • Teeth 11 Apr 2006 20:30:01 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Talha deserves more than a light snapping at, so all's well that ends well.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2006 20:31:06
    Thanks guys, that's cheered me right up. :)
  • djgit_uk 11 Apr 2006 20:34:28 27 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    BartonFink wrote:

Still I got called a sap and an asshole. That's for trying to help while poking so mild fun at djgit_uk.

I don't recall calling you an asshole? Know all perhaps....sap, definitley.
    Thing is, I am asking a simple question....it need not have developed into a "lets poke fun at the silly new boy type post as was so clearly your intention"

Regardless, I am happy that those of you that chose to try and help did so, thanks very much. I will now depart and leave you "regulars" to tear my online insiginificance to shreds whilst administering a well earned group hug for seeing off the newbie.

Cheers

D.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous