***Official*** Too Human Thread Page 55

• Page

of 56 First / Last

• nickthegun 16 Jul 2012 12:18:16 58,885 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IIRC, there are like half a dozen levels and you will know when you have finished it as you get sent back to the world hub.

The levels are absolutely massive.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• RedSparrows 16 Jul 2012 12:35:41 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are 4 levels, and then the hub-world.

The 4 are massive, and very obviously different in terms of aesthetic. They are designed to be replayed a fair amount, with a few hidden areas/special zones.

Playing in co-op will undoubtedly confuse you as you will just feel plonked in various places for no reason, and I am not sure if, once you have done the first world (Hall of Heroes, or something) in co-op, whether it will allow you to pick an alignment as opposed to doing it solo. It should do, IIRC.

Also, I think the game will just carry on, and on, and not send you back to the city.

But again, I may be misremembering.

It's a total marmite game, but I loved it. Playing as Beserker helped that, I found - combat was epic. Commando was the dullest.

Sequel is one of my dark hopes, but it will never, ever happen.

Edited by RedSparrows at 12:37:10 16-07-2012
  • telboy007 16 Jul 2012 12:38:46 428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If Silicon Knights stop being complete planks (and avoid bankruptcy) we might see a sequel!

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• 1Dgaf 17 Jul 2012 00:23:44 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks all. Because we'd never played, the footage we captured is a pretty much of two guys that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, Now I've played an hour or so of the SP, I realise the first level is a tutorial and we were making all sorts of dumb assumptions and mistakes. It's fucking embarrassing, but hopefully it'll amuse people.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 00:24:13 17-07-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• GloatingSwine 19 Jul 2012 22:23:15 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote: I realise the first level is a tutorial
    Not really. Since the point of a tutorial is to teach you how to play the game, and Too Human never really bothers with that.

The biggest and most important piece of information you can have is that whilst you're doing your dodge animation you take no damage from any source, so timing a dodge when something is about to do a heavy attack (like the trolls with their hammer slam) will save your ass.

You can even avoid much of the damage from DoT effects by rolling around. So, remember when you're on fire (or poisoned...) stop, drop, and roll.

(Oh, and level 2 is the hardest by some measure. I think the last achievement I got for this game was to do that one with no deaths).
  • hypoBla5t 20 Jul 2012 08:01:02 1,363 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think this game is one of two I can remember that made me turn my console off and never play it again. I love ARPGs, RPGs, action games blah blah but the voice acting and story were a car crashing into a train crash and the combat was properly unappealing.

Bought it for a fiver. Actually felt ripped off.
  • RedSparrows 20 Jul 2012 08:12:16 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And I loved it. Combat was brilliant as a beserker.
  • nickthegun 20 Jul 2012 08:21:14 58,885 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved it too. It was one of those games that managed to be more than the sum of its slightly crappy parts. Once you got the hang of it, flying around a room, beating the crap out of things is pretty cool.

And, yeah, stop, drop and roll is the way forward.

He totally called it

• PenguinJim 20 Jul 2012 08:24:46 5,758 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really couldn't stand it as the berserker (which I chose after researching which character would best suit my playstyle!). Thought the game was rubbish, but came back later as a champion and found it quite a good game. I still can't quite put my finger on why, but there's my advice for anyone who hated the game - try a different class!
  • RedSparrows 20 Jul 2012 09:41:57 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Horses for courses: zerker with maxed out speed enchants/buffs etc was a pinball of lightning-fast death.
  • robthehermit 20 Jul 2012 09:43:20 3,986 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoyed it, keep meaning to dip back in with a different class.

Somehow I completely missed the 'Worst game I've played in the last 5 years' scandal at the time, so did some reading up on that last night. Classic stuff.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• RedSparrows 20 Jul 2012 12:08:35 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was a victim of a game.

A victim of DD/SK PR blunders, laboured development, and a press/gaming public somehow entirely willing to rip it to shreds for merely existing.

'Ten year development' is not true. The finished game had about 2, IIRC - the ten years was trying to get the project going, failing, going, failing, etc.

Even then, it could and should have been better. But that does not alter the fact that it also had a lot of good stuff going for it, if you were willing to embrace it. Melodramatc, strangely massive and yet small at the same time, with brilliance (the combat) next to annoyances (death animation, total lack of communication of how to employ the combat effectively), and then with a near-miscarriage of a birth: August release, NeoGAF/DD loon-wars, nobody giving it a shot without even playing.
  • 1Dgaf 21 Jul 2012 02:39:11 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Video is up. Feels a bit weird posting in here since you all know what the game is like. I'm tempted to put it in the main forum, but I'd like some feedback first. Length, pacing etc.

• spamdangled 21 Jul 2012 02:44:11 27,271 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm on the "overlooked gem" side of the fence. It had its flaws, but I absolutely loved the time I spent with it and would genuinely love to see a sequel.

Sadly by the time I got around to playing it I was unable to experience it in all its 4-player coop glory, so if anyone is up for revisiting it drop me a line.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RedSparrows 21 Jul 2012 10:32:56 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It doesn't have 4 player, sadly.
  • spamdangled 21 Jul 2012 13:20:03 27,271 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought it did?

Darn. Just 2 player then?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• nickthegun 21 Jul 2012 14:39:12 58,885 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It has *lots* of points that were clearly designed for four players, working as different classes. Playing as a pure melee character for instance meant you were pretty much screwed in some places where you almost needed ranged weapons.

He totally called it

• RedSparrows 21 Jul 2012 14:43:37 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    4 player was 'done' apparently, but for some reason removed. Would have been fantastic, with proper scaling.
  • Dante_Cubit 21 Jul 2012 18:58:10 1,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought the core gameplay was excellent and the narrative ambition was praiseworthy. Unfortunately it couldn't live up to its pretentions and ended up getting slated for it. It a shame really because if they learnt from their mistakes a bit like Ubisoft with Assassins Creed, they could have made an amazing sequel.
  • stryker1121 21 Jul 2012 19:16:16 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    I think this game is one of two I can remember that made me turn my console off and never play it again. I love ARPGs, RPGs, action games blah blah but the voice acting and story were a car crashing into a train crash and the combat was properly unappealing.

Bought it for a fiver. Actually felt ripped off.
    I went full boat so imagine how I feel. The game is somehow both appallingly short and painfully grindy at the same time.
  • RedSparrows 21 Jul 2012 20:33:17 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a looter!
  • RedSparrows 23 Jul 2012 12:47:14 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Video is up. Feels a bit weird posting in here since you all know what the game is like. I'm tempted to put it in the main forum, but I'd like some feedback first. Length, pacing etc.

I liked that. Needs a little more direction I think, and structure.
  • 1Dgaf 23 Jul 2012 12:49:21 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Elaborate, please. WHat do you look for in those sorts of videos?

• RedSparrows 23 Jul 2012 13:20:18 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I liked the humour and mucking about and things, as that's what makes games fun.

However I didn't really get a feel for whether you enjoyed the game in its own right, or talked about it much other than the immediate.

If that's not your aim, fair enough!
  • 1Dgaf 25 Jul 2012 11:50:41 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's an unusal game to do a video for. We touched on the basic stuff in the video, movement, locking on, the fact there are stats for items. But it's hard to get a feel for it after one play. And I think that people that like it like it *so* much, that they may have forgotton what it's like to play for the first time.

We actually recorded for an hour, but I cut a lot of stuff out. The first fifteen minutes, if not a bit more, were of us wandering around trying to figure out how to open a door. That was where we talked about the basic stuff that was confusing, like not cutscenes in co-op.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 11:51:10 25-07-2012

• RedSparrows 25 Jul 2012 13:14:23 22,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the co-op idiosyncracies (i.e total lack of plot) are annoying first-time - but possibly a good source of humour!
  • 1Dgaf 25 Jul 2012 13:18:27 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it was, but I asked for some editing advice and was told that the video was annoying. It turned out the people I asked had played it, so they were just frustrated that we didn't know how to play, weren't controlling the characters properly etc.

Again, they weren't able to think like new players.

I cut fifteen minutes based on what they said. I reasoned that it's better to have it shorter and snappier.

• nickthegun 25 Jul 2012 13:25:59 58,885 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem is that it doesnt really lend itself well to a gameplay video, even for new players. The levels are so long that you dont really get many set pieces per minute, the first few hours where you havent got many abilities and the time it takes to get used to the controls mean its boring to watch.

The best thing to watch would be the last level where you are well powered up and are jumping from enemy to enemy like a vengeful pinball.

Basically, its a shit game to do a video for because the opening few hours are boring as hell, especially the stupid tree web thing.

So, yeah, its a good video in that it makes the best of it, but if I hadnt ever played this game before, it wouldnt push me to pick a copy up.

He totally called it

• Page

of 56 First / Last