5 months from Manufacture date = 360 freezes!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Catseyez 26 Mar 2006 15:00:56 20 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bugger!

I thought I had managed to miss the "360 return to m$ for repair" crowd...

Manufactured in the 1st wave on 20/10/2005 I have had no problems at all until now when my 360 freezes in Fight Night , Oblivion etc after only booting up - Hell it froze on the boot screen!

So all you owners of the first wave watch out for freezing with no graphical corruption and no red lights - m$ have asked me to return my 360 for repair/replacement.

Hopefully they will give me a "new batch" 360

You have been warned........
  • shirubagan 26 Mar 2006 18:01:46 954 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    360 = 3shonky.

*So* glad I haven't got one yet.
  • IMO 26 Mar 2006 18:52:48 5,571 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    While I'm not one to make excuses for Microsoft, What I wouldn't give for a computer that first crashed 5 months after purchase.
  • Wabe 26 Mar 2006 18:56:19 161 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Buy a mac :)
  • phAge 26 Mar 2006 18:59:11 24,327 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shirubagan wrote:
    360 = 3shonky.

*So* glad I haven't got one yet.
    LOL! :D
  • OllyJ 29 Mar 2006 21:34:46 3,243 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Catseyez wrote:
    Bugger!

I thought I had managed to miss the "360 return to m$ for repair" crowd...

Manufactured in the 1st wave on 20/10/2005 I have had no problems at all until now when my 360 freezes in Fight Night , Oblivion etc after only booting up - Hell it froze on the boot screen!

So all you owners of the first wave watch out for freezing with no graphical corruption and no red lights - m$ have asked me to return my 360 for repair/replacement.

Hopefully they will give me a "new batch" 360

You have been warned........

I think I may be having this problem, I've got a first wave 360 and have had no problems whatsoever, then tonight I start ripping music to the hard drive and then put fight night on.

I open the guide up then have a look at the voice options, changed the voice volume then went into the "notifications" screen and turned off Notifications, at the very moment i turned them off the 360 threw a wobbly and froze, had loads of grey blocks on the screen.

Now it's only a matter of minutes before it does it again, i'm not getting any "ring of light" errors either, so is it the same problem as you encountered?

Also by sending the 360 back does that mean I lose all music and Live arcade games? can I back them up to an external HD?????

any advice appreciated!
  • celery7 29 Mar 2006 22:01:18 41 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've sent mine off for repair/replacement without the HD as they didn't think thats where the problem was. Hopefully they're right.
  • tonynibbles 29 Mar 2006 22:34:26 2,247 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Switch it off, take the cartridge out, blow on it, put it back in then restart.

Should do the trick.
  • TwistidChimp 30 Mar 2006 00:20:11 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Also by sending the 360 back does that mean I lose all music and Live arcade games? can I back them up to an external HD?????
    any advice appreciated!

All the stuff you've bought from marketplace and your achievments are all stored on your gamertag I think, so you can hopefully just re-download them. Your save games and music however you'l probably want to back up before you send it off, cause I dont think they'l be sending your HD back to you (this is my understanding, I could be wrong) However I do remember reading on this forum that someone with a premium refused to send back the HD and MS aparently accepted this. So cant gaurantee anything really, sorry.
  • Calgon 30 Mar 2006 02:29:33 531 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some people who get the frozen screen -with no flashing lights, have reported, it was mearly a case of the Scart cable not fully rooted in the back of the console. The only thing I find strange about that problem is that is: why does it even display anything at all when its not properly connected in the first place?

Worth checking first anyway before you phone MS because apparently it's easy to knock out of place, if you've ever gone behind the TV messing with cables or moved the console. If thats the problem some people are having, I think a new connector that fits more firmly is in order from MS. Do a google search I cant remember where I read this now, so I don't know what worth it has :D

Edited by Calgon at 02:32:40 30-03-2006

Edited by Calgon at 03:20:12 30-03-2006
  • kaosridder 30 Mar 2006 07:23:07 88 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mine freezes from time to time. Been a while since it did it last though, but I think it frooze twice in the dashboard.
    Its no biggy. Dont expect it never to freeze up.
  • OllyJ 30 Mar 2006 08:06:54 3,243 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    celery7 wrote:
    I've sent mine off for repair/replacement without the HD as they didn't think thats where the problem was. Hopefully they're right.

Cool ok, did you actually ring them first then?
  • OllyJ 30 Mar 2006 08:09:56 3,243 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kaosridder wrote:
    mine freezes from time to time. Been a while since it did it last though, but I think it frooze twice in the dashboard.
    Its no biggy. Dont expect it never to freeze up.

well....when it does it 100%, I've checked it overnight now and it's still fucked, may have to try the scart cable first.

@ Twistedchimp: any ideas how you back your music up then
  • thegamesthething 30 Mar 2006 08:18:19 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know there are some horror stories above, but to make those who need to send their 360 in feel a bit better, mine was collected on a Tuesday at about 10am and back to me, fully fixed, by early afternoon on the Friday, a turnaround of just over 3 days. So the service isnt all bad.
  • OllyJ 30 Mar 2006 08:20:56 3,243 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thegamesthething wrote:
    I know there are some horror stories above, but to make those who need to send their 360 in feel a bit better, mine was collected on a Tuesday at about 10am and back to me, fully fixed, by early afternoon on the Friday, a turnaround of just over 3 days. So the service isnt all bad.

can I just ask...did you send your registration form off as soon as you got your 360...I haven't actually done that. am I screwed or will they still accept it?
  • timmyc 30 Mar 2006 08:33:13 382 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perhaps we should all be investing in one of these coolers as a precaution?!
  • HitchHiker 30 Mar 2006 09:00:51 2,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So why don't people take it back to wherever they bought it for an exchange rather than go through all the hassle with Microsoft? Don't the shops have to exchange within the first year if there is a fault?

I've been fortunate with mine so far, just 2 freezes whilst playing Kong . . . probably explode next time I turn it on :o(

HH.
  • Carlo 30 Mar 2006 09:17:11 17,947 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Serious question time, are the lock-ups and issues pretty much exclusively on 'launch' consoles and not on ones that are being bought now, or are there still problems with the 360?

PSN ID: Djini

• Ginger_Messiah 30 Mar 2006 09:22:23 952 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    thegamesthething wrote:

can I just ask...did you send your registration form off as soon as you got your 360...I haven't actually done that. am I screwed or will they still accept it?

They will still accept it but you will have to register with them first, i.e. when you phone you will ahve to supply a whole load of info.

As to questions about whther ti's only premiums and whether it's onyl the first batch.

Mine was a core, it died, wasreplaced with a refurbished unit (was kinda obvious form the manufacture date it was a refurb) and then it also died. I am fairly certain the newer ones have been patched up but if the have been patched up in the same way the refurbs have (i.e. they are fixing the refurbs by bringing them in line witht he new ones) then there is still a chance they could die.
  • thegamesthething 30 Mar 2006 09:29:01 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    thegamesthething wrote:

Nope didnt register, as above I did all that when I reported the fault. I also didnt have to send in my HD, though in my case the fault was occurring immediately on boot, way before it accesses the HD, so there was no need. They replaced the motherboard and it came back fine.

Edited by thegamesthething at 09:32:41 30-03-2006
  • Xerx3s 30 Mar 2006 09:33:18 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No freezes as of yet.

/knocks wood

But if it does break down, i hope they replace it with one of those with dvd drive (the silent ones).

Edited by Xerx3s at 09:35:53 30-03-2006
  • Xerx3s 30 Mar 2006 09:35:23 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IMO wrote:
    While I'm not one to make excuses for Microsoft, What I wouldn't give for a computer that first crashed 5 months after purchase.

Mine? I use me pc for some really demanding tasks, but no crash as of yet (6.5 months later). Its all about tweaking :)
  • Carlo 30 Mar 2006 09:39:17 17,947 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    IMO wrote:

Mine? I use me pc for some really demanding tasks, but no crash as of yet (6.5 months later). Its all about tweaking :)
    My media Center PC only gets restarted when there is an (automated!) software update. It's run without lockups for almost a year.

It's how you build it :D and how much *crap* you don't install.

PSN ID: Djini

• hobbex 30 Mar 2006 09:55:45 12 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago

I dont think I will ever pay for a Micro$oft product, but thats just me, right?

And yes, I do run my PC on a version of Linux Mandriva 2006, and I love playing BF2 on it. ;)

I normally dont keep on topic, but for one thing that I heard, didnt Playstation sell 1,2 million PS2 consoles from the release-date of Xbox360, and Microsoft only sold half a million?

Oh, yes, I also bought a PS2-slim recently! ;)
  • InfiniteFury 30 Mar 2006 12:11:47 864 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • The_Aardvark 30 Mar 2006 12:13:45 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hobbex wrote:

I dont think I will ever pay for a Micro$oft product, but thats just me, right?

And yes, I do run my PC on a version of Linux Mandriva 2006, and I love playing BF2 on it. ;)

I normally dont keep on topic, but for one thing that I heard, didnt Playstation sell 1,2 million PS2 consoles from the release-date of Xbox360, and Microsoft only sold half a million?

Oh, yes, I also bought a PS2-slim recently! ;)

/takes aim
  • Dirtbox 30 Mar 2006 12:14:13 77,372 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haven't seen that one for a while. Perhaps a pubic flogging.

Yes, pubic.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• thegamesthething 30 Mar 2006 12:43:44 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheaper older console with more games out sells more than brand new early adopter only next gen few games just arrived console Shocker

I would have typed that without the spaces but it would bork the forum

Edited by thegamesthething at 12:44:36 30-03-2006
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous