Identity Fraud Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • terminalterror 13 Apr 2006 14:39:50 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    This may have been brought up before, but am I the only person who still prefers to sign? Personally, matching my signature is a whole lot harder than seeing my PIN in my opinion.

Now I know your average till monkey at Tescos doest take any notice what you've written, but if someone was ripping off your card, I'd imagine they'd buy big whilst they could, when I think most people would be a bit more vigilant. Or is that naive?

nobody checks signatures

A bloke decided to see how far he could push things before somebody would question his ridiculous fake signatures (he even took pictures of the receipt with his camera before handing it back to be checked) and it took walking into a shop and asking for their most expensive TV in stock, then trying to buy 3 of them before anybody questioned his signature.
  • DodgyPast 13 Apr 2006 15:51:21 8,478 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OTOH I had to give up with First Direct for banking.

Even after confirming that I lived in Thailand in writing they still cancelled my 3rd credit card because it was used in Bangkok.

I've made 3 credit card transactions here... and therefore used up 3 credit cards.

Edited by DodgyPast at 15:55:24 13-04-2006
  • bainbrge 13 Apr 2006 16:10:29 1,687 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    OTOH I had to give up with First Direct for banking.

Even after confirming that I lived in Thailand in writing they still cancelled my 3rd credit card because it was used in Bangkok.

I've made 3 credit card transactions here... and therefore used up 3 credit cards.

Edited by DodgyPast at 15:55:24 13-04-2006

Thats actually extremely funny. I think it would make a good basis for a French existentialist film.
  • Hanafunda 13 Apr 2006 16:21:35 361 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The best thing I saw for fraud prevention was the other week.

At the till I was handed over a card which wasn't yet chip enabled and on the signature part it said "please see ID"
    And I checked against his drivers license (it was some japo guy) and I commented that it was the best i've seen yet

Edited by Hanafunda at 16:22:33 13-04-2006
  • mal 13 Apr 2006 16:59:48 22,605 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    You've now got to be *very* careful with "cardholder not present" transactions (buying over the phone or online). You see, any resulting fraud would be the retailers fault but proving that they messed up and then getting the cash back from "bobs bits" rather than a large bank could be very difficult.

For a long time I've only got credit cards off companies that have a internet clause in the policy, stating they're liable for internet fraud. In fact, even my oldest card, which didn't used to have this clause got it's t&c's revised a couple years back and introduced this clause.

No idea if it's valid in a court of law, of course - but I don't think they're mailcious enough to put unenforcable clauses onto their contracts.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ScoutTech 14 Apr 2006 21:12:10 2,424 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    I've seen a few bank cards (mainly from Jersey based accounts it seems) from Lloyds TSB which have a photo put on them. I assume its for people who have "healthy" bank balances. Seems like a good idea to mean. Photo+signature and/or chip and pin would be a winner (except for at ATM's obviously).

Fraid not. There was s tudy done and a guy got various random pictures put on the back of cards to test, including one of a chimp. Not one shop commented on them or checked hem. Was always a favourite suggestion of mine untill I heard about this study!
  • Mike_Hunt 14 Apr 2006 21:23:53 23,523 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    The chips not been cracked (yet). Sounds like you were busted by a card copying device in an ATM.

surrey police seem to think otherwise
    Um... looks like they agree with everything I said. :)

They haven't mentioned anything about the chips being cracked, I'm sure I would've heard by now if that we the case.

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 14 Apr 2006 22:04:06 23,523 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No worries. :)

[MH]
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,320 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dravenclarke wrote:
    to be honist, signing for stuff felt much more secure than chip and pin.. thesedays i tend to go to the atms inside the bank and withdraw cash, rather than enter my pin in a crowded shop for all to see.
    I've been using chip & PIN for years now and haven't had a problem. The signature method is far more prone to fraud (remember when they used to swipe your card and make a carbon copy?).

How was the fraud perpetrated grayson, do you know? Was your card stolen, or was there a card reader involved?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,320 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    When I used to work in retail I couldnt believe the amount of people who got shitty when you got asked to get manual authorisation putting through a 1500 PC. Absolutely stupid (was always the upthemselves wankers who looked down their nose at you too and took it as a personal insult).

Personally, if I was a bit worried my 500 360 purchase didnt get queried by the bank.
    Agreed. I was quite impressed when the bank phoned me a few minutes after I made the first major purchase with my new card, to check it was really me.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thats Essex for you.

And I'm a resident so I can say that.
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When I used to work in retail I couldnt believe the amount of people who got shitty when you got asked to get manual authorisation putting through a 1500 PC. Absolutely stupid (was always the upthemselves wankers who looked down their nose at you too and took it as a personal insult).

Personally, if I was a bit worried my 500 360 purchase didnt get queried by the bank.
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Partly - but if the criminal has managed to get your pin from you somehow, you are liable for 100% of it afaia so I think its a mutually beneficial thing.
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This may have been brought up before, but am I the only person who still prefers to sign? Personally, matching my signature is a whole lot harder than seeing my PIN in my opinion.

Now I know your average till monkey at Tescos doest take any notice what you've written, but if someone was ripping off your card, I'd imagine they'd buy big whilst they could, when I think most people would be a bit more vigilant. Or is that naive?
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen a few bank cards (mainly from Jersey based accounts it seems) from Lloyds TSB which have a photo put on them. I assume its for people who have "healthy" bank balances. Seems like a good idea to mean. Photo+signature and/or chip and pin would be a winner (except for at ATM's obviously).
  • DaM 2 Dec 2011 14:53:55 13,263 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Arrrggghhh!!!
    Got a phone call at work today from quidquick, asking me when I was going to pay them...bit mystified as I have never asked for a loan from anyone (except for mortgage, which is paid off!).

Some fucker got a loan in my name in October, using my work phone, home address and an email address that isn't mine. The money (from what little info was given) was paid into a Halifax account. My wife reminded me I do have a Halifax account from years ago - fairly sure it has little money in it, dormant for 10 years. Never had a card or anything for it...
    A phone call to them suggests that they don't have an active account under my name.

All quidquick can offer is a phone number where I leave me details and someone phones me back..within 5 working days. I've told them that's not good enough, and want a resolution today or I'll be contacting the dodgy loans ombudsman.

Any advice?!
  • mal 2 Dec 2011 15:28:04 22,605 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's a bit odd. If they've got all your details, why is this the first you've heard about it? Still, sounds like reporting them if they don't sort it is the right thing to do.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• DaM 2 Dec 2011 15:43:39 13,263 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I received some junk mail from them yesterday, nothing mentioned about this though. Just did an online credit check on myself, and it all seems in order - does not list this though. Shows QuidQuick's parent company doing a check on me they day it was authorised, but nothing else unexpected.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2011 15:56:55
    So you can see QuickQuid/Wonga doing a search on you but you're not concerned? Get straight in touch with the 3 CRAs (Experian, Callcredit and Equifax) and ask for your statutory report (the 2 ones) so you can take up an ID fraud case with each of them! They can each put notices on your credit file telling any other lenders not to do any dealings on your accounts unless extra proof that it's you is received

*full disclosure, I work for Callcredit. If you want more info, drop me a line at daniel dot morton at callcredit dot co dot uk
  • DaM 2 Dec 2011 16:01:44 13,263 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was the Callcredit 2 one I just did!
    I'll go and do as you suggested :)

Am very concerned, I thought I would see the actual loan on the Callcredit check - saw no loan, but saw them doing a credit check, which was fine...

Edited by DaM at 16:04:27 02-12-2011
  • convercide 26 Oct 2012 21:05:03 6,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next