Identity Fraud

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
  • RabidMonkey 23 Mar 2006 16:57:33 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some seemingly illiterate marketing executive impersonated me yesterday on GameCentral's Inbox section.

    I'm thinking of taking legal action - it is after all defamation of character which makes this guy libel.
  • SpaceDave3000 23 Mar 2006 18:12:33 78,392 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How do I know you're really RabidMonkey?

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • sam_spade 23 Mar 2006 18:17:28 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How do we really know you're John Smith?
  • RabidMonkey 23 Mar 2006 19:09:47 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    How do I know you're really RabidMonkey?
    I guess you'll just have to take my word for it...
  • Lutzie 23 Mar 2006 19:40:59 952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can the real RabidMonkey please stand up?
  • RabidMonkey 23 Mar 2006 19:50:21 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    /breaks into a rap

    I'm RabidMonkey, yes I'm the real Rabid, all you other RabidMonkeys are just imitating....













    Sorry.
  • The-Old-Bill 23 Mar 2006 19:55:20 5,101 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rabid Monkey
    That funky Monkey
    Rabid Monkey Junkie
    That Funky Monkey
  • RabidMonkey 24 Mar 2006 16:32:25 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I went along to my solicitors office this afternoon to get this thing sorted out and sue this punk. However, once I told my legal adviser what I wanted to do he replied: "What are you nuts?" Once I assured him I was not, and was, in fact, deadly serious, he began to laugh right in my face.

    Undeterred by this completely unexpected reaction, I proceeded to display my evidence that would support me in a court of law; he began to laugh even louder before shouting to his assistant (a total ass, by the way) "Did you hear what he just said?", the assistant replied: "yyyy...eahaaaaa!!!"

    After about half an hour of them just laughing at me, I decided I had had enough and left. Needless to say, I won't be using that guy again, even if he is my father!
  • WarKitty 24 Mar 2006 16:38:08 566 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RabidMonkey wrote:
    So I went along to my solicitors office this afternoon to get this thing sorted out and sue this punk. However, once I told my legal adviser what I wanted to do he replied: "What are you nuts?" Once I assured him I was not, and was, in fact, deadly serious, he began to laugh right in my face.

    Undeterred by this completely unexpected reaction, I proceeded to display my evidence that would support me in a court of law; he began to laugh even louder before shouting to his assistant (a total ass, by the way) "Did you hear what he just said?", the assistant replied: "yyyy...eahaaaaa!!!"

    After about half an hour of them just laughing at me, I decided I had had enough and left. Needless to say, I won't be using that guy again, even if he is my father!

    Sue him!
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 24 Mar 2006 17:32:11 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RabidMonkey wrote:
    So I went along to my solicitors office this afternoon to get this thing sorted out and sue this punk. However, once I told my legal adviser what I wanted to do he replied: "What are you nuts?" Once I assured him I was not, and was, in fact, deadly serious, he began to laugh right in my face.

    Undeterred by this completely unexpected reaction, I proceeded to display my evidence that would support me in a court of law; he began to laugh even louder before shouting to his assistant (a total ass, by the way) "Did you hear what he just said?", the assistant replied: "yyyy...eahaaaaa!!!"

    After about half an hour of them just laughing at me, I decided I had had enough and left. Needless to say, I won't be using that guy again, even if he is my father!
    Just give hime the details of this particular case, found in this thread, then he might reconsider.
  • Teeth 24 Mar 2006 17:37:56 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RabidMonkey wrote:
    So I went along to my solicitors office this afternoon to get this thing sorted out and sue this punk. However, once I told my legal adviser what I wanted to do he replied: "What are you nuts?" Once I assured him I was not, and was, in fact, deadly serious, he began to laugh right in my face.

    Undeterred by this completely unexpected reaction, I proceeded to display my evidence that would support me in a court of law; he began to laugh even louder before shouting to his assistant (a total ass, by the way) "Did you hear what he just said?", the assistant replied: "yyyy...eahaaaaa!!!"

    After about half an hour of them just laughing at me, I decided I had had enough and left. Needless to say, I won't be using that guy again, even if he is my father!

    LOL!
  • Bunda 10 Apr 2006 19:14:25 5,241 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    i just found out this morning that someone cleaned out my account with a series of maximum ATM transactions over the course of a few days.

    very scary stuff. like most people i use my card a lot and never really think about whos looking over my shoulder when putting my pin number in at petrol stations/pubs etc.

    a little bit of advice from dr-gray, not that anyone will listen (i know i wouldnt have until this morning), but you *really* have to be very careful these days on how you use your card. chip & pin has only been around for a few months and already people are copying it willy-nilly.

    there is a lot to be said for keeping your money under your mattress these days.
    Oooohh, extremely tough luck.

    /doesn't posses an ATM card
  • Deleted user 10 April 2006 19:19:33
    Hard luck, grayson. I assume you receive compensation from the bank or something?
  • kentmonkey 10 Apr 2006 19:24:43 20,759 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RabidMonkey wrote:
    So I went along to my solicitors office this afternoon to get this thing sorted out and sue this punk. However, once I told my legal adviser what I wanted to do he replied: "What are you nuts?" Once I assured him I was not, and was, in fact, deadly serious, he began to laugh right in my face.

    Undeterred by this completely unexpected reaction, I proceeded to display my evidence that would support me in a court of law; he began to laugh even louder before shouting to his assistant (a total ass, by the way) "Did you hear what he just said?", the assistant replied: "yyyy...eahaaaaa!!!"

    After about half an hour of them just laughing at me, I decided I had had enough and left. Needless to say, I won't be using that guy again, even if he is my father!
    Genuine lol (it's catching!!)

    On a serious note, that sucks grayson, any ideas where they might have got it from? I take it they must have cloned your card then to get money out, I'm thinking of cancelling my credit card actually after it was locked out when I went to use it at the weekend and then the card provider said that it might not have been the 3 mistakes I made that day but the mistakes I made the other day!?!? I haven't been out the house for weeks due to the op so that's concerned me!
  • mal 10 Apr 2006 19:32:45 22,677 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Hard luck, grayson. I assume you receive compensation from the bank or something?
    Not necessarily. The banks claim the chip and pin system is completely uncrackable - so if someone gets access to your account it's your fault. They're not liable.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • mal 10 Apr 2006 19:59:34 22,677 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Not necessarily. The banks claim the chip and pin system is completely uncrackable - so if someone gets access to your account it's your fault. They're not liable.
    its gonna take up to a month to sort out apparently, but i should get most of it back.
    That's good news certainly. I'm already pretty careful about where I use my pin (use cash if in doubt) but I'll be doubly careful now.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Apr 2006 22:56:36 39,467 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I own all the intelectual property rights of all monkeys on the internet.

    So I will be the one taking legal action!

    Now

    Get back to work, Duke Nukem Forever is due out soon!

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • AnotherMartin 10 Apr 2006 23:29:10 6,229 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I spunked some money on a watch in Helsinki airport last year and though it wasn't questioned in the shop my bank phoned me on my mobile before I'd even left the shop to see if it was legit.

    I was so tempted to deny all knowledge. But it's good to know they keep an eye on these things.
  • darkmorgado 10 Apr 2006 23:32:30 15,566 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Furbs wrote:
    When I used to work in retail I couldnt believe the amount of people who got shitty when you got asked to get manual authorisation putting through a 1500 PC. Absolutely stupid (was always the upthemselves wankers who looked down their nose at you too and took it as a personal insult).

    Personally, if I was a bit worried my 500 360 purchase didnt get queried by the bank.
    Agreed. I was quite impressed when the bank phoned me a few minutes after I made the first major purchase with my new card, to check it was really me.

    Been away and used the card a couple of times - both times i got phone calls from the bank within an hour to ask where i was. Quite impressed but i suppose it's only their own backs they're covering.

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • quedex 11 Apr 2006 07:45:17 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dravenclarke wrote:
    i bet you got stung by one of those card reader things stuck onto the front of the atm.. pretty easy to spot if your looking, but if your in a hurry or pissed then your basically just giving your money away.. ive seen one clearly stuck onto a bank machine so i just walked on by, i rang the bank in question when i got home but i expect the theifs had already been and removed it by then.
    Sorry that happened to you grayson. I hope you get your money back.

    In theory, these card skimmers shouldn't work any more - most of the ATM machines will only read the chip for authorisation and not the mag-stripe. I accidentally killed the chip on my card last month and all of the high street or supermarket machines would reject the card before I even got to the "Withdraw Cash" menu. I even tried taking the chip off the card in case the machine was detecting it was broken, but still no joy.

    I never tried using the card in a shop to see if they would take it. In theory, the shops should refuse to accept the card without a working chip because the banks decided to shift liability for fraudulent transactions to the shop. I have no idea if this would bother a large retailer like Tesco, but I suspect it wouldn't change much.

    This shifts the problem now with the criminals needing to create fake chip card readers, but they would have to get those into shops somehow. Just sticking a device on an ATM won't work without cloning the chip.

    Unless of course the crims have found a way of taking the account details off a mag stripe and putting them on a new chip, but if that happens, we're all screwed.
  • reality_cheque 11 Apr 2006 08:42:47 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Thats Essex for you.

    And I'm a resident so I can say that.

    I was born there and I'm a dodgy bastard so I can only agree with you.
  • Mike_Hunt 13 Apr 2006 12:42:59 23,526 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quedex wrote:
    dravenclarke wrote:
    i bet you got stung by one of those card reader things stuck onto the front of the atm.. pretty easy to spot if your looking, but if your in a hurry or pissed then your basically just giving your money away.. ive seen one clearly stuck onto a bank machine so i just walked on by, i rang the bank in question when i got home but i expect the theifs had already been and removed it by then.
    Sorry that happened to you grayson. I hope you get your money back.

    In theory, these card skimmers shouldn't work any more - most of the ATM machines will only read the chip for authorisation and not the mag-stripe. I accidentally killed the chip on my card last month and all of the high street or supermarket machines would reject the card before I even got to the "Withdraw Cash" menu. I even tried taking the chip off the card in case the machine was detecting it was broken, but still no joy.

    I never tried using the card in a shop to see if they would take it. In theory, the shops should refuse to accept the card without a working chip because the banks decided to shift liability for fraudulent transactions to the shop. I have no idea if this would bother a large retailer like Tesco, but I suspect it wouldn't change much.

    This shifts the problem now with the criminals needing to create fake chip card readers, but they would have to get those into shops somehow. Just sticking a device on an ATM won't work without cloning the chip.

    Unless of course the crims have found a way of taking the account details off a mag stripe and putting them on a new chip, but if that happens, we're all screwed.
    The chips not been cracked (yet). Sounds like you were busted by a card copying device in an ATM.

    As you've said, it's still easy to copy info off the mag stripe - what the crims are doing is duplicating the mag stripe on a second card, fooking up the chip (scratch it, whack it, whatever) and 90% card readers will fail over to mag-stripe. Which is when they getcha.

    As others have said, because the chip & pin system is 100% secure (utter bullshit) you are now liable and the banks don't have to refund any money lost through fraud.

    I'm working on a rollout of new ATM in July which should prevent this happening with out ATM network at least. I can assume that other financial institutions are doing the same.

    [MH]
  • reality_cheque 13 Apr 2006 12:52:19 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    This may have been brought up before, but am I the only person who still prefers to sign? Personally, matching my signature is a whole lot harder than seeing my PIN in my opinion.

    I agree, even though my signature changes from day to day and depending on how stoned I am.

    Certain groups of people are still entitled to use signatures, however I don't know which groups or how you go about doing it.
  • Mike_Hunt 13 Apr 2006 12:53:32 23,526 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:

    As others have said, because the chip & pin system is 100% secure (utter bullshit) you are now liable and the banks don't have to refund any money lost through fraud.

    [MH]

    Woh, is that true? Although it's highly unlikely that anyone will use your card (or clone) in a shop (which is the only place that accepts/uses chip n pin)

    Edited by rodpad at 12:44:44 13-04-2006
    Yeah, although I think you should still have a good case if the mag stripe was used - although whether you take that up with the retailer or the bank is questionnable.

    Actually, whilst the mag-stripe fallover flaw is still being used then it is fairly likely. Like you say though, once Chip and Pin is properly implemented, fraud will be cut dramatically.

    You've now got to be *very* careful with "cardholder not present" transactions (buying over the phone or online). You see, any resulting fraud would be the retailers fault but proving that they messed up and then getting the cash back from "bobs bits" rather than a large bank could be very difficult.

    Example - phone up PizzaHut, order a pizza for delivery, provide your card details included the ultra secure secret code on the sig stripe (what a pointless exercise) and you get your pizza. However, Mr Hut Numpty now has enough information to go on an online spending spree with your card.

    My advice, only ever use your credit card for online/remote purchases. You're not spending your money, you're spending the banks, so you have a lot more protection.

    [MH]

  • Mike_Hunt 13 Apr 2006 12:56:32 23,526 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    This may have been brought up before, but am I the only person who still prefers to sign? Personally, matching my signature is a whole lot harder than seeing my PIN in my opinion.

    Now I know your average till monkey at Tescos doest take any notice what you've written, but if someone was ripping off your card, I'd imagine they'd buy big whilst they could, when I think most people would be a bit more vigilant. Or is that naive?
    PIN is *much* more secure, providing you take care when entering it and don't keep a copy of the number in your wallet.

    Like you said, sigs are rarely checked.

    Remember that with PIN not only does someone have to peer over your shoulder to get your PIN, but they also need to nick your wallet/card.

    With signatures, all the need is your card (as that has a copy of your signature on the back - so they know what they have to forge).

    Make sense?

    [MH]
  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply