PS3: The story so far

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • BartonFink 23 Mar 2006 00:16:50 34,777 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just thought it would be an idea to aggregate all the info we have so far into one place. I will update as we find out more.

Let me start off by saying what I have heard so far has me pretty damned interested (ye wouldn't know it from some of the comments eh).

Please let me know what I am leaving out.

The machine
    =========================
    Not going into the specs FLOPS and all that malarkey.

Blu-ray
    A foregone conclusion. I am not sure it was the right thing to do by Sony but it will be a nice cheap HD player.

Harddrive
    * Included (Possibly not, more confusion)
    * 60 GB
    * Upgradable
    Nice one Sony, don't know wtf MS were thinking.

Controller
    * Batarang ditched
    * New controller to be unveiled at E3 (confirmed)
    * Wireless
    * Up to 7 was it?

High Def
    * full 1080p support in both NTSC and PAL regions.

Region Locking
    * Not in games
    * Single SKU for all regions???
    * Publisher impact unknown
    * IGN article
    * Official line: "Software will be region free by default. Publishers can choose to restrict their own software to specific display standards. (thanks Blerk)
    * Not quite official but clarification: "Harrison's statements indicated that the machine itself has no provisions for games being region encoded. Every console worldwide will also support every display standard. If a particular publisher decides to ship a game without PAL support, for example, the game could not be played on a PAL television. However, a gamer in a PAL region could still play the game if the PS3 is hooked up to a non-PAL video display."
    Nice one Sony

PSP
    * PSP and PS3 to connect wirelessly, allowing the handheld to view stored PS3 content on the go.

Backward Compatibility
    * PS2 and PS1 games
    * in full High Definition
    * This will be done through hardware emulation software. This will probably mean similar problems to the 360.

The all important LAUNCH GAMES
    I have to be honest here and say that we really have no idea what is going to be available from day one. Feel free to list em out and I will add them.

* Fatal Intertia (koei)
    * Mahjong Taikai (koei)
    * Rainbow Six 5 (Ubisoft)
    * Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Ubisoft)
    * Rayman 4 (Ubisoft)
    * Blazing Angel 1.5 (Ubisoft)
    * John Woo's Strangehold
    * Tekken
    * Sonic the Hedgehog
    * Resistance: Fall of Man
    * Rainbow Six: Vegas
    * Lair
    * Motorstorm
    * Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

Other games related info
    * 1up List of games rumoured to be in development (cheers Freek)
    * This geek for some comedy value
    * MGS4 Tech demo
    * PS3 Ridge Racer 7 at E3
    * Square-Enix doing PS3 title?

Other nice stuff
    Online Service
    * Free but maybe not that free
    * Follows the same model as PS2
    * Added bells and whistles, chat, e-mail, ladders, etc
    * Up to the publishers to run the servers
    * Downloadable content
    * Shop functionality on a per game basis

Digital distribution
    * EDI website

Linux
    * No real detail on this
    * Get it classed as a PC, Suspected tax dodge.

Suspected/Potential bad stuff
    * Price (see below)
    * DRM
    * Potentially publishers may charge for online gaming.

Media Hype and general ravings (comedy)
    * 4D gaming
    * 1000 fps
    * EG Post 4 articles in the space of less than a day all saying the same thing mostly 1,2,3,4 feel the love ;)

Vids and other stuff
    * Tech Demos
    * Lair Screenshot
    * Blerks Next-gen physics - PS3 ftw, PC ftwallet thread
    * Blerks FFXII Thread
    * Trashtalk by ukresistance perhaps? True PS3 Graphics thread
    * Pre E3 press event on May 8th
    * SCE France boss indicates 500 - 600 Euro pricing for PS3 but Back in your box bitch say Sony
    * May not be playable at E3 :o
    * Horrible yields, massive shortages afoot perhaps
    * Oh dear Blu-ray delayed till June

The PS3 OS
    * arstechnica article This is an interesting one as it could have a significant impact on the overall perfomance of the machine.

Unofficial Ubisoft List

Edited by BartonFink at 19:20:50 05-05-2006
  • spindizzy 23 Mar 2006 00:21:18 6,400 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hang on - you've put "[Online] follows the same model as PS2" under nice stuff?

Have you TRIED a PS2 online? It's awful!
  • Freek 23 Mar 2006 00:23:21 7,687 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, but by the PS3 following a similar model it refers to it being more open for third parties, not that it'll have the same interface as the PS2.
    Presumably they'd work to make the user experience better and learn from mistakes made on the PS2.
  • ElephantMonkey 23 Mar 2006 00:23:57 104 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Region Free!!! Woohooooo
  • BartonFink 23 Mar 2006 00:24:16 34,777 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The model is the same, the implementation however is apparently going to be different.

Yes I have tried PS2 online and it is bloody awful. I am hopeful however that Sony can and will address this.
  • BartonFink 23 Mar 2006 00:25:16 34,777 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Freek wrote:
    Yeah, but by the PS3 following a similar model it refers to it being more open for third parties, not that it'll have the same interface as the PS2.
    Presumably they'd work to make the user experience better and learn from mistakes made on the PS2.
    Exactly.
  • spindizzy 23 Mar 2006 00:26:57 6,400 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I know what you meant ... just poking fun. ;-)

(PS2 online is some kind of sick joke by Sony though - I want even have an original PS2 and so paid extra for the network adaptor)
  • quedex 23 Mar 2006 04:28:38 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Worth adding the (claimed) full PS2 backward compatibility to the list?
  • Bunda 23 Mar 2006 04:36:16 5,241 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, yeah. The PS2 has all those great games!
  • itamae 23 Mar 2006 07:17:44 9,827 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Region free? Most excellent! Best thing I've heard about the PS3 so far.

I'm slightly worried about the console's potential noise level though. I bet the processing power comes at a high price.
  • drumbaby 23 Mar 2006 07:21:00 2,688 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Region free AND backwards compatible...The good old chipped PS2 gets the heave ho when I get my PS3. :)
  • quedex 23 Mar 2006 07:57:12 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    The all important GAMES
    I have to be honest here and say that we really have no idea what is going to be available from day one. Feel free to list em out and I will add them.
    This chap seems to know what games are due out. Not sure I believe him, although YMMV. :-)
  • Deleted user 23 March 2006 08:22:14
    Sorry to be a pain, but HDD included as standard has not yet been confirmed. Phil doesn't know. Online services billing structure not very clear either.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2006 08:28:43
    I think they're still a little unclear whether it's going to be a compulsary add-on for games, or included as standard. It's not impossible that it may sell as a cheap BR player.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Mar 2006 08:59:37 48,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Region Locking
    * Not in games
    /dances
    /dances more
    /dances with postman
    /dances like a fool
    /dancing
    /dancing

Watch me dance!
  • Deleted user 23 March 2006 09:03:00
    As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 360 isn't region locked either. Which hasn't stopped publishers to lock some games to specific regions, while a few titles were indeed region free. Isn't it down to the publishers to release region free/region locked games? What about the PAL/NTSC issue?

Edited by LeDilettante at 09:03:52 23-03-2006
  • Merlinho 23 Mar 2006 09:05:55 5,909 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's this linux suspected tax dodge business? I think I've missed something.
  • Ginger 23 Mar 2006 09:07:33 6,808 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On the online service - I know the basic service will be free, but I thought the model was that different service providers would offer servers for a cost - MMORPG, BF2142 etc would charge for access becuase they wouldn't work well/at all with a peer to peer model

London open taekwondo champion

• Blerk Moderator 23 Mar 2006 09:08:03 48,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 360 isn't region locked either. Which hasn't stopped publishers to lock some games to specific regions, while a few titles were indeed region free. Isn't it down to the publishers to release region free/region locked games? What about the PAL/NTSC issue?
    You can't stop me dancing, man!
  • BravoGolf Moderator 23 Mar 2006 09:10:35 12,734 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

/dances
    /dances more
    /dances with postman
    /dances like a fool
    /dancing
    /dancing

Watch me dance!

Ohhh! /joins in
  • Deleted user 23 March 2006 09:11:15
    Blerk wrote:
    LeDilettante wrote:
    You can't stop me dancing, man!

No, but can you explain? I seem to be missing a major point here...

/is confused
  • thegamesthething 23 Mar 2006 09:12:33 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    new section please :-

Media Coverage

For the PS3, otherwise cynical and worldly game sites will be required to chuck any objective thought out the window, and just parrot what Sony tell 'em. Its the 4th place (or something).

Edited by thegamesthething at 09:12:40 23-03-2006
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Mar 2006 09:19:08 48,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    No, but can you explain? I seem to be missing a major point here...

/is confused
    I can't really explain because I don't know the details. They might dash my hopes yet.

The way I understand it, Microsoft provides region-locking services within the Xbox and 360 but doesn't enforce their usage - it's up to the companies whether to use them or not.

The PSP, on the other hand, doesn't provide this service for games, so all games are enforced region-free.

Which of these models the PS3 offers will determine the outcome. If they follow the PS3 model, it will be impossible for companies to region lock their games, so everything will be region free. If they follow the 360 model, some companies will still lock their stuff. I don't think I need to point out which version I prefer.

As for NTSC/PAL, there will obviously still be region-specific releases. And regardless, running NTSC games on a PAL tellies hasn't been an issue since the advent of the RGB SCART lead.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2006 09:21:57
    Ah thanks, I understand now. But if movies are still region locked as reported, surely it implies some form of region locking tools being provided by either PS3/BR media?
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Mar 2006 09:25:10 48,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    Ah thanks, I understand now. But if movies are still region locked as reported, surely it implies some form of region locking tools being provided by either PS3/BR media?
    There will obviously be some region-locking in there - the PSP region locks its movies too, if you recall.

But the movie-playing is usually all software-based and entirely separate from the game bits. There's not usually any cross-over.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Mar 2006 09:41:18 48,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As for games, the only ones I know for sure are both from KOEI - they announced yesterday that Fatal Intertia and Mahjong Taikai will both launch alongside the PS3 in Japan. I surmise Fatal Intertia will make it to the rest of the world too.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous