LOVEFiLM - an utterly shit online renting experience? Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• semprini 9 Jul 2007 13:56:35 3,144 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is probably a better thread to ask...

I'm thinking of subscribing to a DVD rental again. Maybe one that does films and games.

I've checked Amazon (2 week free trial), Tesco (2 week free trial) and LoveFilm (3 week free trial). All have pretty similar prices, though LoveFilm a bit more expensive. Any others worth checking out?
  • Huntcjna 9 Jul 2007 14:00:26 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im still on the same subscription with Lovefilm (formerly screenselect) and personally i think its excellent.

I haven't bought a PSP game in ages the new releases seem to come really really quick from them.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Jul 2007 14:01:05 3,853 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Tesco uses Lovefilm for stock and fulfilment. Do your own research.

If you find a good one, let me know. If it does DS games, it'll be a bonus.

And get SHadowrun, you slag.

EDIT:

Or Carcasonne or Catan. But, back to DVDs. Lovefilm's 'best' DVD+Game package is 18.75 p/m.

I'm going to see if I can get seperate rental places for 20 or less combined; one solely for games and one for DVDs. THat might be a better option.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 14:06:26 09-07-2007

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• semprini 9 Jul 2007 14:33:10 3,144 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    18.75? Sounds a bit too pricey for me. I don't want to have 4 discs at a time unlimited per month, I'd never get round to watching\trying them all.

Tesco seems to have a good price. 9.97 for unlimited rentals, 1 disc at a time, that includes films and games. I might go for that. 13.97 for the same package but with 2 discs at a time. Or Amazon have a cheapy option for DVD only, 3.99 or 5.99 for 2 or 3 discs per month.

Idgaf, hello mate, yeah I will be putting Shadowrun on the rental list. Hired Darkness and Overlord the last two weekends and they've been good fun.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Jul 2007 14:36:24 3,853 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The 18.75 is for three DVDs at a time.

Tesco is about a quid cheaper than Lovefilm for the same options. Odd, since Wiki says they use Lovefilm's services.

EDIT:

Seems Tesco and Lovefilm have same Ts&Cs. If you go with Tesco, Sem, let me know what it's like.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 14:40:10 09-07-2007

Edited by 1Dgaf at 14:46:30 09-07-2007

• Anthony_UK 9 Jul 2007 15:07:10 2,507 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    www.lovefilm.com/freegift

Enter code: LFXX98763

3 Months free trial!

The milky bars are on me!!!
  • 1Dgaf 9 Jul 2007 15:11:51 3,853 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Summary of Which? report on DVD rental:

http://tinyurl.com/2trtmt

EDIT:

Anyone know if Swapgame and its ilk are any good? I've been waiting for FlatoutCarnage for a couple of weeks and wondered if a dedicated games rental place would be better.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 15:23:13 09-07-2007

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 9 Jul 2007 15:59:08 4,629 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Swapgame have been first class in my experience.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• semprini 9 Jul 2007 17:04:31 3,144 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Swapgame do sound good for games, but i want DVDs too.

Cheers for the code Anthony, i might go with that one.
  • nickthegun 9 Jul 2007 17:20:25 60,146 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    18 quid for infinite DVDs, 3 at a time?

There just arent that many films out, or am I not trying hard enough?

I pike TV shows off the internet, so during summer I have trouble keeping my movies list looking healthy.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• 1Dgaf 9 Jul 2007 18:17:23 3,853 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

I pike TV shows off the internet, so during summer I have trouble keeping my movies list looking healthy.

Depends on what you want to watch. I've got quite odd tastes, so have a few foreign films on there. Because it's a rental, and reduced cost, I'll have a punt of stuff I'd not go to see in the cinema.

• THFourteen 9 Jul 2007 18:32:26 33,616 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Venatio wrote:
    Swapgame have been first class in my experience.
    strange, i found swapgames website ridiculously annoying to navigate.

also their turnaround time for games was SLOW. post something on monday, have somethign back by thursday at the earliest...
  • semprini 10 Jul 2007 15:48:57 3,144 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:

3 Months free trial!

I emailed them to ask about renting DVDs and games, they told me the packages listed on the front page are for DVD only. The games & dvd packages were a bit more pricey. But if I wanted to re-activate my old account, they would reward me buy giving me 3 months for the price of 1 - but would get charged immediately for one month.

But instead I've signed up with a different email address, and used that code, so now I am getting 90 days for free, and then pay as normal from October. If I cancel before the end of the 90 days, there is no charge. Bargain :-)
  • Phattso Moderator 7 Aug 2007 14:22:07 13,351 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:

3 Months free trial!

Many thanks for this! Just used it to sign up, and it all appears to have gone through without an hitch.

Here's hoping they actually send something... stay tuned for more exciting updates. ;)
  • Deleted user 11 July 2008 18:27:01
    Just signed up to Lovefilm, got a 3 month free trial, can't be bad.

But reading about the service since, is it really as awful as its made out to be?
  • Psychotext 11 Jul 2008 18:36:13 54,309 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

I have nearly 600 films in my queue. There's plenty of films out. :)
    TrailerPrkJesus wrote:
    But reading about the service since, is it really as awful as its made out to be?
    It's been bulletproof for me, but I have noticed that lately it might take a day longer for films to arrive than it used to.
  • paul_haine 11 Jul 2008 19:32:06 4,205 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Erm...does anyone know what happens if a disc is actually lost in the post?

I sent a Seinfeld disc back to them on the 25th of last month, and it still hasn't been received by the company.

I've opened a dispute and I'm currently waiting for a few documents that they're sending through to me. Any idea if I'll get charged anything?

You only get charged anything if you don't return the form that you get sent that goes back to Royal Mail. I must have had about a dozen DVDs lost in the post in the three years I've been using LoveFilm and never been charged once. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that LoveFilm is the most consistently excellent online service I've ever encountered, for a wide variety of reasons.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2008 19:38:39
    paul_haine wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    Erm...does anyone know what happens if a disc is actually lost in the post?

I sent a Seinfeld disc back to them on the 25th of last month, and it still hasn't been received by the company.

I've opened a dispute and I'm currently waiting for a few documents that they're sending through to me. Any idea if I'll get charged anything?

You only get charged anything if you don't return the form that you get sent that goes back to Royal Mail. I must have had about a dozen DVDs lost in the post in the three years I've been using LoveFilm and never been charged once. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that LoveFilm is the most consistently excellent online service I've ever encountered, for a wide variety of reasons.
    This +1
    But to be honest I have used them for just over a year and haven't paid a penny yet so probably shouldn't be one to comment.
  • chronom4n 11 Jul 2008 19:52:55 527 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used to be with them, but after enduring random movies coming through the post I was utterly cheesed odd with them. After talking to customer services, I found out that the computer which chooses your films, does it completely randomly! Even with their free 2 week trials I won't go back to them purely because I want to be in control of which film I want to watch next. BTW, read the terms and conditions because i found out that if you lose a game/dvd/ you'll most likely pay full price if you are held responsible.
  • Psychotext 11 Jul 2008 19:58:28 54,309 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    chronom4n wrote:
    I used to be with them, but after enduring random movies coming through the post I was utterly cheesed odd with them. After talking to customer services, I found out that the computer which chooses your films, does it completely randomly!
    Did you not have a rental list?

With only rare exceptions I always get my high priority titles first. If everything is on medium priority then they send a random film from my list... but I'm not sure what else they could do.
  • paul_haine 11 Jul 2008 20:03:52 4,205 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you are held responsible, maybe so. But they don't hold you responsible for items being lost in the post - they hold Royal Mail responsible.
  • chronom4n 11 Jul 2008 22:58:21 527 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    psycho.. i did have a rental list but it was no more than about 20 films and i did have the films on high priority. my point about the loosing of films is that make sure that you do not misplace them or anything because if can be a costly experience.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2008 23:39:26
    I notice they now force you to call them up to cancel, not just fill in a form online like the last time I cancelled. And of course they used it as an opportunity to try and talk me out of it, twice. I cancelled their ass real hard.
  • Tomo 11 Aug 2008 16:44:16 13,928 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's the consensus with online rental companies at the moment? Lovefilm the one to go for still? Seems to be pretty well liked in this thread.

Any deals out at the moment?
  • moggsy 11 Aug 2008 16:48:44 3,860 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been with LoveFilm on and off for several years. Excellent service which I would recommend to anyone.

Are there any other DVD rental companies left? It seems LoveFilm have bought them all with Amazon's service being the latest one to go.
  • Tomo 11 Aug 2008 17:06:31 13,928 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I think so too.

Got a 3 month free trial thanks to the power of the interwebz. Go team!
  • Psychotext 11 Aug 2008 17:26:15 54,309 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm still with them... still no problems. (Other than the occasional disc that's had jam spread on it, but I blame the window lickers for that)
  • oceanmotion 11 Aug 2008 17:31:12 15,972 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    I've been with LoveFilm on and off for several years. Excellent service which I would recommend to anyone.

Are there any other DVD rental companies left? It seems LoveFilm have bought them all with Amazon's service being the latest one to go.

I think Lovefilm is owned by Netflix, that massive US company. I always wondered why there weren't over here yet and they should give Xbox 360 owners something similar to their US 360 offering.
  • Vice.Destroyer 11 Aug 2008 17:43:11 5,841 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LoveFilm has been very good to me. Their games service is comparatively poor, but then I go for the unorthodox Boomerangrentals.co.uk/Lovefilm option. Both have paid for themselves many times over.
  • Tomo 11 Aug 2008 17:50:59 13,928 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just for the customer service record, but I was a bit of a twit and accidently pressed the 3.99 nectar deal for my 90 day free trial by accident. Just phoned them and they've put me in my intended 15.99 3 DVDs-at-once band as a "gesture of goodwill" because strictly speaking you should stay on the package you sign up to.

The guy thought I was a bit of a tool for some reason... :p
  • Page

of 7 First / Last