LOVEFiLM - an utterly shit online renting experience? Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • Psychotext 18 Dec 2012 22:23:39 53,982 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, it's taken 6 years as a relatively happy customer and ironically it took cancelling (nothing left that I want to watch) to make me realise just how shit Lovefilm can be.

Cancelled online last month, sent my discs back and cleared all my queues. Checking my bank account earlier and I noticed that they'd taken the money again. Checked the Lovefilm website, seemed to indicate I was still subscribed, so I call them...

Girl on the phone argues that I only got half way through the cancellation process, which is horseshit because I specifically remember the confirmation screen after they had tried to get me to take a payment holiday (and asked me why I was leaving). So I say that there must have been an error and she says no way, and there's nothing she can do... so I start to get a little bit miffed. Check online and it seems they've removed the online cancellation option (nice!) so I can't even prove my point. I guess their subscription figures must be falling apart to feel the need to force people to phone and cancel rather than letting them do it online.

Anyway, I tell her that I consider the transaction fraudulent and that it's disgusting that they'd pull something like this with someone who had been a customer for 6 years... and then the best thing happens, whilst waiting for a response from a supervisor on the refund she tries to put me on a payment holiday rather than cancelling my account! I had to laugh. Because yeah, I'm going to stay a customer after this. lol

Anyway, so in the end they refund me "as a gesture of goodwill" for being a customer for so long. I guess Lovefilm are just fine unless you actually find yourself having to deal with them in any way other than putting discs in the post.

/massive facepalm
  • teamHAM 18 Dec 2012 22:32:16 2,887 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh dear. I am a Lovefilm customer and have just been thinking I might cancel lately. The "no contract, no hassle" with immediate cancellation option was one of the main reasons why I stumped up for it, so hearing what you went through is making me a little apprehensive.

And oh yes, just checked and the online cancellation option that was there when I joined up is now gone. Classy. If they fuck me about I will just cancel my card. Unfortunately I'm too used to dealing with dirty money grabbers like this.

Edited by teamHAM at 22:38:43 18-12-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• cubbymoore 18 Dec 2012 22:38:14 36,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Better stick with my subscription then and let Stockholm syndrome kick in till I no longer mind.
  • DaM 3 Sep 2013 10:18:56 12,996 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We are writing to let you know that, from 1st October, the LOVEFiLM streaming service will no longer be available on LG TVs and Blu-ray players manufactured in 2011.

Continual developments to our service occasionally mean that we can no longer support applications on certain devices.

However, we would like to offer you a replacement device from Amazon's consumer electronics store at no additional cost to you so that you can continue to watch the great range of movies and TV shows from our streaming service in your living room.
    The fuck?! My TV will no longer "support" Lovefilm? I don't use it, it's my wife and kids...I say we claim the shitty blueray player offered, then jump to Netflix!
  • nickthegun 3 Sep 2013 10:23:13 59,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They probably use silverlight, which MS are phasing out and dont support whatever they are phasing in.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Mr-Brett 21 Feb 2014 09:30:44 12,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lovefilm is being rebranded to Amazon Instant Video and being rolled into the Prime subscription which is also being raised to 79 on the 26th.

Although the DVD rental service will remain Lovefilm.

Portable view - Never forget.

• monkman76 21 Feb 2014 09:31:05 4,185 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Amazon combining Prime and Lovefilm Instant to make Prime Instant Video.

49 for the year if you sign up by the 26th. Quite tempted.
  • Mr-Brett 21 Feb 2014 09:37:19 12,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's about 6 threads with Lovefilm in the title, I hope we both chose this one and monkman76 doesn't just have me on ignore and posted here because it was bumped.

• monkman76 21 Feb 2014 09:38:03 4,185 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    There's about 6 threads with Lovefilm in the title, I hope we both chose this one and monkman76 doesn't just have me on ignore and posted here because it was bumped.
    *kisses*

No, you were just fractionally quicker :)

I was more concise though.

This was clearly the right choice of thread anyway!

Edited by monkman76 at 09:39:13 21-02-2014
  • Mr-Brett 21 Feb 2014 09:41:38 12,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I included vital information like the DVD service remaining, someone's elderly (grand)parents might need that info!

• DaM 21 Feb 2014 09:52:02 12,996 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually I might use it - I had watched about half of Jericho, sat down with a large whisky the other night to grab a few more, and the fuckers have pulled it. I am going to see if I can get it off them on disc....

You try and do the right thing and pay for it, and what do they do?!
  • chrisno21 21 Feb 2014 09:56:39 1,495 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Note from the US service:
    As a guest of another Amazon Prime member you already receive:

* FREE Two-Day Shipping with no minimum order size
    * One-Day Shipping for $3.99/item

Upgrade to a paid Amazon Prime membership for $79/year to also get:

* Unlimited, commercial-free, instant streaming of 5,000 movies and TV shows
    I am named on another account so get no streaming. Though the service may be different in the UK, i doubt it.

Edited by chrisno21 at 09:57:14 21-02-2014

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Mr-Brett 21 Feb 2014 10:08:52 12,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They charge $79(48) in the US and are changing the UK one to 79? :/

• mcmonkeyplc 21 Feb 2014 10:18:59 39,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Signed up to the trial. BUY BUY BUY

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Tricky 21 Feb 2014 10:26:43 4,374 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Actually I might use it - I had watched about half of Jericho, sat down with a large whisky the other night to grab a few more, and the fuckers have pulled it. I am going to see if I can get it off them on disc....

You try and do the right thing and pay for it, and what do they do?!
    It's still on Netflix if you fancy it.
  • Fab4 21 Feb 2014 10:26:53 6,018 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wonder if its available to people in Holland...like me.
  • JiveHound 21 Feb 2014 10:46:35 2,416 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I see to cancel you have to actually phone them now. No doubt so they can beg you to give them money still.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Psychotext 21 Feb 2014 11:03:52 53,982 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    They charge $79(48) in the US and are changing the UK one to 79? :/
    All things considered (who they use for delivery, how unreliable it is, how many items are no longer prime, "add on items") I think I'm telling them to stick it. Fuck paying that much money for a video service that I will never use and a delivery service that is sub par.
  • monkman76 21 Feb 2014 11:15:55 4,185 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, add-on items are a fecking pain. Backward step that one.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Feb 2014 11:19:10 23,897 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I'm named on my parents' account rather than having my own, so no streaming for me. Although with unblock us and Netflix, I doubt there's THAT much I won't have access to.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• spindle9988 21 Feb 2014 11:22:34 3,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Unblock us and netflix are the best combo since cheech and chong

Edited by spindle9988 at 11:27:22 21-02-2014
  • THFourteen 21 Feb 2014 11:24:24 33,247 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WTF 79?!

I only want the delivery, i dont want all their crappy streaming. I have netflix for that.
  • IJ 21 Feb 2014 11:29:52 822 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I'm a 4.99 unlimited streaming package at the moment with Lovefilm. So if I've got this correct if I sign up to this I get that same service for 10 less a year, WITH the one day shipping of prime?

Seems too good to be true.
  • Syrette 21 Feb 2014 11:34:14 43,353 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Isn't Prime utter shit at the moment?

• Psychotext 21 Feb 2014 11:34:34 53,982 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's your price for one year... it's not going to be the price next year.
  • THFourteen 21 Feb 2014 11:39:02 33,247 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Depends where you live.

In and around London i've never had any issues with their 1-day delivery, its always arrived the day after i ordered it, Even sometimes ordered past 5pm.
  • THFourteen 21 Feb 2014 11:44:05 33,247 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i have emailed them via their contact us section to say that i will be cancelling my sub as i have no interest in streaming

Never know they might offer me something.

Edit : just had a call from Amazon (that was quick), spoke to a lady who said that they are making a note of everyone who makes this feedback and passing it on, however at the moment there is no "opt out" option.

So perhaps worth other people calling if they are in disagreement with the new price hike.

Edited by THFourteen at 12:19:07 21-02-2014
  • Dougs 21 Feb 2014 12:48:54 67,264 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Yeah, I'm named on my parents' account rather than having my own, so no streaming for me. Although with unblock us and Netflix, I doubt there's THAT much I won't have access to.
    And it looks like the account I scab off is cancelling...! :)
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Feb 2014 12:52:21 8,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Depends where you live.

In and around London i've never had any issues with their 1-day delivery, its always arrived the day after i ordered it, Even sometimes ordered past 5pm.
    Usually comes next day to work (Paddington) even though I only use the free delivery. (A day or three longer to where I live in Z4 though).
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next