LOVEFiLM - an utterly shit online renting experience?

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 12 March 2006 01:39:39
    Anybody else used/using LOVEFiLM for renting DVDs online?

I've been using their 15 per month (3 discs at a time) account for about 5 months now, and am decidedly disenchanted with them of late. At first I was very impressed with the wide catalogue and the very swift turnaround. If I send a disc away on Monday morning, I'll have the next one sent out and with me by Wednesday if I'm lucky, Thursday if not.

However, I have a lot of dicsc in my list that are TV shows - so I have all the Curb Your Enthusiasms in there, all of which are 2 disc sets (each disc is one choice), for example. And without fail they've been sent out to me in reverse - ie Disc 2 first. Every time. Same with discs that have Special Features. Even if the Special Features disc is much lower on my list because I want to see the film first, out comes the Disc 2 first.

And don't get me started on Kung Fu Hustle. It's been NUMBER ONE on my list since before Christmas and I still haven't had it.

I sent them an email complaining and citing specifics of the Disc 2's I've had, and the date I put KFH at Number 1, and they sent me a polite email back telling me to put my Disc 2's much lower on the list (er...) and that they had stock problems with KFH...

They suck.

That is all. :)
  • terminalterror 12 Mar 2006 08:00:41 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't Screenselect do a 'TV series in the right order' thingy where you just select the series and they sort out the right order bit? Seems a much more sensible way of doing it. Otherwise if you have a request list where any disc can be sent (although you can prioritize) then you'll just have to do the correct order part yourself, only adding the next disc once you've been sent the one before.

If I were you I just wouldn't put extra feature discs on your list until after you've got the main film. The way the business model for these rental thingies works is by spreading out their stock according to demand and carrying low levels of stock such that you might have to wait a bit for popular titles, but they'll keep you going with less in demand titles on your list. I can't imagine disc 2's are particularly popular so their automated stock system would probably like to only send you those if it could.
  • Singularity 12 Mar 2006 10:14:24 2,434 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I cancelled my account with them after a bunch of DVDs went missing in the post (whose bright idea was it to plaster Lofefilm all over a DVD-sized envelope?) and their website took me to a very nasty page saying that due to the number of discs that had gone 'missing' (it was about three) if any more went they would start investigating me.

I'd rather have been forced to play Driver 3 for the rest of my life than give them 15 a month after that.

And the only way I found around the season thing is to take the disc 2s off my list until they've sent you the first one.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2006 11:26:15
    Yeah, I've learnt the way around the Disc 2 thing now. The thing is, I HAD been burying the Disc 2s quite a long way down the list, and STILL got them first...

Still very miffed about Kung Fu Hustle though. 3 months??!
  • reality_cheque 13 Mar 2006 12:08:08 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Don't Screenselect do a 'TV series in the right order' thingy where you just select the series and they sort out the right order bit? Seems a much more sensible way of doing it
    They do, and they've yet to mess up any for me - and I've had 6 series of TNG, 5 series of Voyager, a series of Lexx, 2 series of Sliders (erg, but it's for the missus), 2 of DS9, 2 of Andromeda and 1 of Stargate Atlantis all in the right order.

I don't rent discs full of just bonus material though, as I consider it a complete waste of time.

(*edited for the missing /*)

Edited by reality_cheque at 12:37:16 13-03-2006
  • Huntcjna 13 Mar 2006 12:12:13 13,871 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got Kung Fu Hustle on screenselect last week and it wasn't even on my priority tier queue just on my "to be sent whenever" list.

Screen select is unsurpassed when it comes to online renting imo 18 months and not one complaint from me.

I got all 4 series of angel back to back in order consecutively now thats service.
  • caligari 9 Jul 2007 00:04:22 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Erm...does anyone know what happens if a disc is actually lost in the post?

I sent a Seinfeld disc back to them on the 25th of last month, and it still hasn't been received by the company.

I've opened a dispute and I'm currently waiting for a few documents that they're sending through to me. Any idea if I'll get charged anything?
  • Messiac 9 Jul 2007 00:08:07 3,465 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    With LoveFilm for 3 months now with no complaints. They have a pretty good variety of stuff and I get two discs at a time and delivery is always very prompt. Return discs Monday morning, new discs Tuesday morning or Wednesdays occassionally.

The only problem with them as I suspect would be the same with similar services is trying to get newly released or popular titles. To be honest I dont even bother as anything new Im interested in and want I usually buy, I use LoveFilm for the older stuff, TV series etc.

But a very good service for what it is in my opinion.
  • Tabasco 9 Jul 2007 00:34:02 5,780 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used the Tesco one for 3 months and as far as I know it's basically LoveFilm. Bloody useless for sending out in order! Shrink + Daemon = \o/
  • Tabasco 9 Jul 2007 00:36:33 5,780 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Erm...does anyone know what happens if a disc is actually lost in the post?

I sent a Seinfeld disc back to them on the 25th of last month, and it still hasn't been received by the company.

I've opened a dispute and I'm currently waiting for a few documents that they're sending through to me. Any idea if I'll get charged anything?
    They only start to hassle you after 3 or more get lost afaik...
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2007 00:47:55 53,769 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been using lovefilm for about 6 months now and they've been brilliant... not sure what's going on in your case. Usually if I send my discs back on Monday, my next rentals are with me on Wednesday, sometimes Thursday. Which sounds about right for the postal times really.

I've never had any problem with their priority system either, as if I want something immediately I just make sure I put it (and only it) up to highest priority.
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2007 00:49:41 53,769 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Messiac wrote:
    Return discs Monday morning, new discs Tuesday morning...
    Wait... you post your discs back on Monday and get new ones Tuesday? That's not even possible as your new discs wouldn't get sent out until Tuesday at the absolute earliest. Or do you mean you post them on Saturday?
  • 1Dgaf 9 Jul 2007 03:24:46 3,788 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just the thread I was looking for...

Coming to the end of my three-month free trial with Lovefilm. Am trying out the DVD + game package. So far it's OK, but games are slow to ship and they aren't the latest titles.

Just wondered if people could recommend another DVD + game rental service (online). The Lovefilm package is 14.99 a month for two discs at home at once. I'm tempted to go to three a month for 18.99; I'm a fan of films.

And FWIW I got the second Battlestar Galactica series from them, all discs sent in order. I chose not to get the bonus disc (option on the site).

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• urban 9 Jul 2007 03:48:45 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    torrents. duh.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Jul 2007 06:20:07 3,788 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some people like to get things legitmately.

Duh.

• UncleLou Moderator 9 Jul 2007 06:42:29 35,421 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Just wondered if people could recommend another DVD + game rental service (online). The Lovefilm package is 14.99 a month for two discs at home at once. I'm tempted to go to three a month for 18.99; I'm a fan of films.

Tried amazon? I am not in the UK, but here in Germany amazon is a lot cheaper than that.
  • ED209 9 Jul 2007 08:56:55 505 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used Blockbuster alot, found them good for delivery and turnaround, ok for list selection, bit slow for popular titles and shit for quality as alot of the discs were fucked up and didn't play properly. But I was watching them on a 'sensitive' dvd drive (in my imac). Some of the dodgy ones played ok on a normal dvd (but not all).

I think they only way these things will ever work properly is if they burn new-disposable discs for every rental. (It would work cos cds are cheap, innit).

Samantha Janus?

• bloke 9 Jul 2007 09:01:08 1,489 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    1Dgaf wrote:

Tried amazon? I am not in the UK, but here in Germany amazon is a lot cheaper than that.

We're on the amazon 9.99UKp/month for 7 movies thing. Not that often we get through 7 rental movies a month.

Very efficient - works OK for us.

(Wish they did games 'though and ATM they don't seem to do HD-DVD or Blu-Ray)
  • Spanky 9 Jul 2007 09:38:04 14,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amazon still send out series discs randomly so i wouldn't go to them thinking you'll get em in order.

Plubs

• bloke 9 Jul 2007 09:47:48 1,489 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Amazon still send out series discs randomly so i wouldn't go to them thinking you'll get em in order.

Been OK with us (most recently The Wire Season 3 - 5 or 6 discs in the right order)
  • nickthegun 9 Jul 2007 10:01:31 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bloke wrote:
    We're on the amazon 9.99UKp/month for 7 movies thing. Not that often we get through 7 rental movies a month.

Very efficient - works OK for us.

(Wish they did games 'though and ATM they don't seem to do HD-DVD or Blu-Ray)

Yeah, same here. Amazon are about the best ive tried and the customer service is very good. They do usually send things out in order too.

Oh, and they do rent HD-DVD and Blue-Ray now.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• THFourteen 9 Jul 2007 10:25:27 32,853 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i've been on lovefilm for about a month and haven't had any problems with them

once you get over the "why am i not getting the top item on my list" issue - which exists with 99.99% of these companies, then its fine.

its not meant to be blockbuster, if you want to rent a specific title then this isn't the service for you.

edit: oh i also like being able to rent 360/wii games which you can't with amazon IIRC

Edited by THFourteen at 10:26:05 09-07-2007
  • nickthegun 9 Jul 2007 10:26:58 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, that is a shame.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 9 July 2007 11:16:38
    The previously excellent Screenselect were take over by the atrocious Lovefilm last year. Well aware of the awful reputation Lovefim had deservedly built for itself they tried to pretend it was the other way around just with a Lovefilm rebranding.

To be fair LF arent as bad now as they once were, you can get new releases reasonably frequently and now SS have gone there isnt that much competition, I tried MyMovieStream but they just dont have many films.

LF's customer service stinks though, try and cancel, you cant do so on their website and can only do so by calling a premium rate number in India to talk to some pushy person that barely speaks English.
  • Spanky 9 Jul 2007 11:24:24 14,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bloke wrote:
    Been OK with us
    Not for us, king of the hill season 4 completely out of order. Had to buy it in the end! Tisk ;)

Plubs

• 1Dgaf 9 Jul 2007 11:40:05 3,788 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd considered Amazon, but they didn't do games.

• 1Dgaf 9 Jul 2007 12:05:41 3,788 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone heard of 'postadvd.com'? Games and DVDs, 13.75 per month for 3 discs at home, 'unlimited' rentals. 5 cheaper than Lovefilm's equivalent package.

EDIT:

THere are a few horror stories online. Apparently they hired a new manage in February, but I've no idea if he's cleaned up the saloon.

EDITED AGAIN:

THey only do PS3 and Xbox 1 games; fuck that for a laugh.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 12:10:53 09-07-2007

Edited by 1Dgaf at 12:15:48 09-07-2007

• caligari 9 Jul 2007 12:12:35 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    bloke wrote:
    Been OK with us
    Not for us, king of the hill season 4 completely out of order. Had to buy it in the end! Tisk ;)

Which ain't a bad thing. King of the Hill > all other animated sitcoms.

Although we're stiiiiiill waiting for seasons 7 - present day on DVD.
  • rock27gr 9 Jul 2007 13:05:09 5,560 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ruggedtoast wrote:

LF's customer service stinks though, try and cancel, you cant do so on their website and can only do so by calling a premium rate number in India to talk to some pushy person that barely speaks English.

Eh?Not true, I cancelled my account a month ago, online, no calls, no hassle.
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2007 13:09:01 53,769 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, you can cancel through the website with no problems.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous