360 DVD drive noise.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Mashum 11 Mar 2006 17:41:46 154 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This might be old news but I can't find anything on the forums regarding it.

When I play a 360 game the DVD drive sounds like a flipping washing machine on spin cycle. Original xbox games don't seem to make the same amount on noise. I only have 2x 360 games so I guess the problem just could be with unevenly weighted DVDs in which case they may damage the drive. Either way I want to get it sorted.

Is this a common problem? I bought the thing a weekago after the restock.The fans and hard drive are nice and quiet and the rest of the 360 experience especially the live integration is just about perfect.
  • Raid 11 Mar 2006 17:58:50 980 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I think it happens with every machine. That's not to say it's alright though; did MS go for exceedingly cheap drives, or do 360 discs really need to be read at speeds that would make Einstein rethink his theories?
  • oceanmotion 11 Mar 2006 18:18:53 16,008 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They are 12x dvd drives in the 360. The Xbox ones were 2x or 4x or something. So quite a difference. Bound to sound louder but there is a new drive out which is apparently a bit quieter.

Link

Still, devs can help out too by making the seek times shorter so it does'nt have to spin the disk as often or as fast. Time will tell I guess. 12x speed is very useful because loading times are much shorter if used right by the devs. Still early days. How is GRAW's loading ?

Edited by WooHoo!!! at 18:21:47 11-03-2006
  • Mashum 11 Mar 2006 18:28:56 154 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks all!
  • Mashum 11 Mar 2006 18:37:15 154 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...I've got the new and quieter one apparently - I must have my hearing aid turned up too much!
  • Khab 11 Mar 2006 18:49:31 6,576 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, it's loud alright. Worse than the ol' PS2, even.
  • Raid 11 Mar 2006 19:46:06 980 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GRAW's loading is impressively quick for such a detailed game, one of the shortest load times of any shooter I've seen recently.

Seems I have the older drive, though I dread to think how loud the old one would be had I not.
  • MrSensible 12 Mar 2006 18:02:27 25,226 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    So, so many people have had problems with this shit box.

Not as many as we get with problems with their PS2's ;)

We get PS2 consoles returned daily. One woman today was on her third PS2 in as many weeks infact.
  • MrSensible 12 Mar 2006 18:05:56 25,226 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope, it's not dropping them that's the problem :p Basically, the PS2 is the single most irritating console to deal with. A huge majority go faulty, usually disc read errors and such, which won't be fixed by cleaner discs. Also, I hate selling any preowned PS2's to people as the chances of it lasting long are slim. It's an absolute disgrace.

Mind you, we don't get any PSP's returned, so it's not just Sony being cheap bastards on all their products or anything.

And hey I'd get a replacement, it'll be fine. We've only had one person with a broken one so there's plenty of fine ones out there for you. At least MS help you out loads with these things. It's a lot more than some companies do.

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 18:07:28 12-03-2006
  • Deleted user 12 March 2006 18:25:24
    WooHoo!!! wrote:Still, devs can help out too by making the seek times shorter so it does'nt have to spin the disk as often or as fast. Time will tell I guess. 12x speed is very useful because loading times are much shorter if used right by the devs.

Yeah, you generally find these sort of things improve over the life cycle of a console as developers can optimise their loading routines and improve the layout of data on the disk. Early on in a console's life cycle you tend to be still developing the core engine and don't get round to such optimisations so the games tend to thrash the drive harder. I was terrified by some of the early PS2 games I bought but many later titles have been much better.
  • Mashum 12 Mar 2006 20:39:26 154 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ..I wonder about less drive usage in future games - PGR3 seems to be streaming from the disk all the time you are on the racetrack, there's alot of high res textures to squeeze into that 1/2 gig of memory not to mention the game code as well.

Even with the noisey drive I heart the 360, it's a great piece of kit and my PC hasn't got a look in since I bought it - the live integration especially, I'm Mr Gate's property now and loving every minute of it.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2006 20:51:58
    The Dreamcast had the best CD noises. You could tell if a battle was about to occur in Skies of Arcadia 'cause you'd get that "WHHHR-GRRRRWHRRR" noise just before it. :D
  • JackThompsonsAnArse 12 Mar 2006 22:00:23 1,441 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    The Dreamcast had the best CD noises. You could tell if a battle was about to occur in Skies of Arcadia 'cause you'd get that "WHHHR-GRRRRWHRRR" noise just before it. :D

w00t, I've caught a fish!

Oh, wait....Gremmi has p//n3d me.

/flicks rod back out
  • Xerx3s 12 Mar 2006 22:19:00 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:

omg, i just booted up me DC and was scared as hell! Thought it would exploded or something... 0_o I dont recall it beeing that noisy, but the xb2 & such are very quiet compared to it...
  • Fing 21 Mar 2006 17:42:43 11 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a Hitachi one. I find the noise noticable and would love to be able to replace it with a Samsung one.

Is there a way to order one separately and swap it in?

Or is it not that simple? (I suspect it is not!)
  • Grunk 21 Mar 2006 17:53:30 4,718 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have the samsung one,

it's still bloody noisy.

I guess there's no way to tell if it's actually quieter without finding a number of other 360 owners.

I think early games are meant to be noisier as well as they spin up the disc all the time. Apparently DVDs are quiet enough.

Usually get too immersed in the game to notice it though.

anyhow, may replace it if a quieter one comes out. or may get a wireless sender and keep console in different room
  • Fatfish 22 Mar 2006 11:34:27 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gutted - got home last night to check and sure enough I've got the Hitachi drive. And yes, it's bloody noisy. I use headphones when I'm playing games in the front room so that the girlfriend can watch TV in peace, but she still complains because of the noise of the fan. Wish I could get it swapped for a Samsung.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2006 11:36:33
    I've never noticed the drive during gameplay or dvd playback. It's noticeable when there something is booting but that's it.

I take it I must have one of the quiet drives.
  • Tiiti 22 Mar 2006 11:43:29 501 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I noticed some games were really loud with the unit standing in the vertical position. When I turned it around to the horizontal position it was fine. Itís still loud but a lot better :)

Father. Husband. Gamer.
    PS4 | XBO | WiiU | iPad4 | iPhone 6
    PC: i7 2600k, GTX 980, SSD

• Fatfish 22 Mar 2006 12:13:42 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Almost tempted to ring MS and make out that my 360 is borked (as, let's face it, it's going to happen eventually!) and see if they'll replace it. 50/50 chance of getting a Samsung drive then! :p
  • Deleted user 22 March 2006 12:33:57
    @Fruit_Salad

Sorry about your bad experience, but are you seriously telling me your PC has never gone wrong?
    Go back to PC gaming if you will - have fun with the cost of it while you're there!

Don't let one bad experience sour you. I've had loads of things balls up on me (the 360 for one!) and you just get it fixed and move on. The 360 I've had now for a few months works like a charm, and I am enjoying it loads.

Where in the PC gaming world is there the community feel of Live, or a unified on-line experience?

EDIT: BTW on topic mine is damn load when playing games, but i am generally too immersed/have speakers too loud to notice. The one thing that bugs me is a very high-pitched whine that my powr brick occasionally put out.
    Noise is a bit better when playing DVDs, but still noticable - when playing a dvd is the only time I really notice the 360 noise.

Edited by jamesphilp at 12:36:03 22-03-2006
  • Grunk 19 May 2006 22:27:59 4,718 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some average news that you may or may not like to hear.

I have recently been resupplied with a replacement xbox from microsoft.

it is a refurbed one mfr date oct 2005 and has the hitachi drive (or the drive tray at least).

it is quieter than the samsung one I sent back.

I have a feeling the one web doc that we are referencing about the drive noise characteristics might have just used a sample of one for comparison.
  • tiddles 19 May 2006 23:52:46 3,555 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fatfish wrote:
    Almost tempted to ring MS and make out that my 360 is borked (as, let's face it, it's going to happen eventually!) and see if they'll replace it. 50/50 chance of getting a Samsung drive then! :p

Honestly, don't get fussed about having the wrong drive - the Samsung is far too noisy as well, in my opinion. It's crap that you can hear the noise of the drive over the game you're playing.

Still, it's another reason to be suspicious of HD disc formats such as Blu-Ray - imagine how much more time you'd have to spend listening to the noisy drive if you had a proper next-gen storage format on your console...
  • tiddles 19 May 2006 23:53:57 3,555 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DVD playback should be much quieter, since they don't play back at 12x speeds.
  • mr_steve100 19 May 2006 23:56:12 1,238 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Gremmi wrote:

omg, i just booted up me DC and was scared as hell! Thought it would exploded or something... 0_o I dont recall it beeing that noisy, but the xb2 & such are very quiet compared to it...

Ah the DC and its grinding. I got used to noise after a while, plus I could easily forgive it because it was Sega. And if the Xbox360 isn't as loud as the DC, then I'm happy!
  • jozz 20 May 2006 00:02:59 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sorry, but why do you care how poor the drive is frod? considering you don't even own the console anymore.

frod wrote:
    Here's an idea: stop complaining, and just don't buy it.

I have feeling that that quote has a lot of mileage yet ;)

Edited by jozz at 00:15:17 20-05-2006
  • morriss 20 May 2006 00:29:11 71,130 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    frod wrote:
    jozz wrote:
    I'm sorry, but why do you care how poor the drive is frod? considering you don't even own the console anymore.

frod wrote:
    Here's an idea: stop complaining, and just don't buy it.

I have feeling that that quote has a lot of mileage yet ;)
    Unfortunately for you I just bought a new one today :)

I win again!

This particular win cost me £280 though. Hmm.

Hope you enjoy as much as we have. What game(s) did you get with it?
  • morriss 20 May 2006 00:34:20 71,130 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    frod wrote:
    My previously purchased xbla games!

I don't like the shiny drive tray drawer. Looks like a hole. Core system ftw :(

Oh you 'upgraded'. I haven't actually seen the Core system, so I've got nothing to compare mine to.
  • jozz 20 May 2006 00:45:38 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    frod wrote:
    Unfortunately for you I just bought a new one today :)

I win again!

This particular win cost me £280 though. Hmm.

Bah, foiled again. >:(

/retreats to secret hideout to concoct ultimate revenge

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous