MPAA Moves On Newsgroups

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • sam_spade 24 Feb 2006 07:24:37 15,745 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Los Angeles-- The Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) on behalf of the major motion picture studios today filed seven lawsuits in federal courts across the country against highly trafficked Torrent, eDonkey and Newsgroup websites that are responsible for facilitating illegal swapping of copyrighted files between millions of users around the world. They provide a massive directory of illegal content to users and encourage people to traffic in copyrighted motion pictures, televisions shows, music, software and games. Torrentspy.com and Isohunt.com are two of the most popular sites used for finding pirated content."

What no crime category? Looks like whoever thought of it in the Razorback2 thread was right.
  • quedex 24 Feb 2006 08:54:26 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Affected sites -
    BitTorrent: ISOHunt, TorrentSpy, NiteShadow.com, BTHub.com and TorrentBox.com
    eDonkey2000: Ed2k-It.com
    Newsgroups: NZB-Zone.com, BinNews.com and DVDRs.net

Phew. The ones I grab my TV eps from aren't listed :)
  • Freek 24 Feb 2006 09:12:23 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Problem is Torrentspy doesn't host any torrent files what so ever, it's a search engine, so it's both useless and hard to take down.

linked
  • Freek 24 Feb 2006 09:56:16 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that way it'd be an actaully fair legal battle rather then big firm flooding the little guy in expensive litigation they can never win even if they had a case.
  • Khanivor 24 Feb 2006 10:14:21 40,533 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All the sites should clump together and try to fight a single legal battle.

Dontcha just love how you can buy 'justice' if yer loaded enough?
  • Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sam_spade wrote:
    Looks like whoever thought of it in the Razorback2 thread was right.
    You know those times when you hate being right?

Mind you, it looks like they're going after the nzb sites, rather than the newsgroups themselves, which is far from the end of the world.

Edited by Furbs at 09:09:22 24-02-2006
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think you're perhaps taking my words slightly too literally?
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    From binnews.net

"Well, we at binnews have not been given anything. We found out just like you guys, from the news sites. We are waiting to see what the documents say but we have never received anything from them. It goes without saying, we plan on fighting this as far as it needs to go."

"we have been storing funds for just this. People got pissed when we first started charging (like 4 years ago) then they said we cost to much.. but its not like anyone was living large. We have been storing funds for just this occasion. Now all we need is some actual papers that make this lawsuit official."

"well we will not go down without a fight. our only concern at this late hour is hosting.. we are currently looking for an overseas host just in case they decide to go after our provider. We cant fault them if they waiver, so we want to be ready to flip the switch to a backup server overseas. If anyone has any suggestions, please either PM here or email.
    thanks and gods speed"

Apparently these guys are seriously minted due to the number of members and how long they've been going for. According to a few posts on a few forums I've just looked on, they'll be able to get some of the best representation out there. Could be an interesting fight about the legality of indexing services vs actual copyrighted material hosting.
  • Dougs 28 Jul 2011 11:11:43 67,178 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    May as well resurrect this thread...

High Court force BT to block Newsbin after action by MPAA.
  • Whizzo 28 Jul 2011 11:39:08 43,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm sure this will have a huge impact.

Not really, even BT users will be able to get around it using things like Mafiaafire.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Chopsen 28 Jul 2011 11:42:50 15,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They don't need to stop it, they just need to make it inconvenient enough so more people don't bother.
  • Hermiod 28 Jul 2011 11:58:17 3,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or just finally realise that the Internet has rendered the artificial geographical boundaries they've created meaningless.

Example - I could have supported Stargate Universe, which has been cancelled, with cash money if they'd put the episodes on iTunes in the UK as soon as they aired in the US. Instead, due to the aforementioned artificial geographical boundaries, I had to wait until after they'd aired on Sky One.

At that point, I might as well record them on my Sky+ and by doing so I will skip all the adverts and they get no money from me beyond my Sky subscription.

Or I could have just downloaded them illegally and then they wouldn't get any money at all.
  • shamblemonkee 28 Jul 2011 12:04:23 14,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    where does everyone get the idea that skipping the adverts means the broadcast company doesn't get the money? The company will have bought the advertising space already, so the broadcaster already has the money...

.. only if evidence that a vast majority of people are watching in the record and then skip manner will the advertising start to possibly dry up as its perceived value goes down, in which case the broadcast company then doesnt get as much revenue and you'll likely see an increase in product placement instead.
  • disusedgenius 28 Jul 2011 12:10:40 5,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    where does everyone get the idea that skipping the adverts means the broadcast company doesn't get the money?
    The fact that advertising money is related to tv channel viewing figures. :/
  • Ford 28 Jul 2011 12:13:06 398 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ok, here's a bit of tinfoil hat talk.

Here's how it will pan out.

In 2013, all HDMI sources will have no longer have analogue outputs.
    Prior to this, access to usenet indexers, binary servers along with torrent indexers will be eroded at the ISP level.

Many key titles will not get a DVD release. There will be a mass cull of compromised AACS keys.

In parallel, devices that connect to official EPG providers (Sky, freeview, freesat) will have their ability to skip or fast forward through adverts removed.

There will be an explosion of new Internet-connected boxes for TV on demand.

I can't think of anything else right now.
  • Hermiod 28 Jul 2011 12:25:44 3,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    where does everyone get the idea that skipping the adverts means the broadcast company doesn't get the money? The company will have bought the advertising space already, so the broadcaster already has the money...

.. only if evidence that a vast majority of people are watching in the record and then skip manner will the advertising start to possibly dry up as its perceived value goes down, in which case the broadcast company then doesnt get as much revenue and you'll likely see an increase in product placement instead.

To be honest, in the case I'm talking about, if you watch every minute of the ads it won't make any difference unless you live in a Neilsen - the people who monitor US TV ratings - home.

Advertising pricing is based on ratings and demographic breakdowns of those ratings. If a lot of people are watching or just a few high value viewers are watching, say Men aged 18-34, then the broadcaster can charge more.

However, it's exactly that age group that are abandoning broadcast TV in droves. There's more competition for their eyeballs - we're talking about this on a site on the Internet about video games after all. As more broadcasters realise this the more they target other audiences which exacerbates the problem as those men aged 18-34 don't want to watch the reality TV and female-led dramas put on in the place of the shows they used to watch.

They can reclaim some of that male attention by being much more innovative. Make shows immediately available globally via iTunes, remove the region protection on DVDs and Blu-Rays, make subscription services like Netflix and Hulu available abroad. It's all money that those 18-34 year old men have that they aren't willing to take just because those men are foreigners.

@frod - Many HDMI devices already don't have component outputs because the market already decided that people don't want them. HDMIs advantage - that it's a simple, single cable that just works - was enough to convince people.
  • shamblemonkee 28 Jul 2011 12:41:27 14,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed I'm a case in point, my TV viewing is already limited to pretty much: Formula1, BTCC, TopGear and the odd nature / life documentary. Out of those, F1 is the only program that I feel a need to see as it's broadcast.

Everything else i get through on demand services. I also get my movies/tv series through lovefilm.

• disusedgenius 28 Jul 2011 12:43:00 5,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Everything else i get through on demand services.
    ...which then track their own usage and charge accordingly for ad space/whatever.
  • Psychotext 28 Jul 2011 12:47:55 53,940 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hermiod wrote:
    To be honest, in the case I'm talking about, if you watch every minute of the ads it won't make any difference unless you live in a Neilsen - the people who monitor US TV ratings - home.
    Don't forget that if you have a Sky / Virgin box these also report on what you've been watching. It's not just the Nielsen houses that get used for profiling data.
  • sport 28 Jul 2011 13:18:17 12,692 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's Carlo's take on this?
  • Deleted user 28 July 2011 13:21:59
    sport wrote:
    What's Carlo's take on this?

He stole a planet, but put that planet in a black hole, where the information was retained, but not in physical format. He then asked God to make a copy of that black hole, then when he got the copy he reversed the hole and took out the physical information of the planet so he had his own copy without touching the previous information lost in Black Hole 1.
  • Hermiod 28 Jul 2011 13:33:41 3,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Hermiod wrote:
    Don't forget that if you have a Sky / Virgin box these also report on what you've been watching. It's not just the Nielsen houses that get used for profiling data.

Do they, though? I don't know about Virgin, but I'm pretty sure Sky aren't doing this - partly because not everyone listens when Sky tell them to keep their boxes connected to a phone line.

• Grunk 28 Jul 2011 13:51:40 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having seen netflix in action in the US it seems to me to be the way forward. A huge library of shows and films from basically any network available after airing

On demand, so you don't have to set up any recording beforehand, and end up missing stuff.

One 10 second advert at the start of each show. No adverts during.

$10

I would give up all broadcast TV if we had this in the UK (coming soon apparently)
    Also if you had this you wouldn't have to pay a TV license.
  • Psychotext 28 Jul 2011 14:34:15 53,940 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hermiod wrote:
    Do they, though? I don't know about Virgin, but I'm pretty sure Sky aren't doing this - partly because not everyone listens when Sky tell them to keep their boxes connected to a phone line.
    Yes, they do... and just because not everyone connects their box up to a phoneline doesn't mean that Sky doesn't get a ton more data than Nielsen do (~20k households).
  • sport 28 Jul 2011 14:36:39 12,692 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grunk wrote:
    Having seen netflix in action in the US it seems to me to be the way forward. A huge library of shows and films from basically any network available after airing

On demand, so you don't have to set up any recording beforehand, and end up missing stuff.

One 10 second advert at the start of each show. No adverts during.

$10

I would give up all broadcast TV if we had this in the UK (coming soon apparently)
    Also if you had this you wouldn't have to pay a TV license.

hmmmm....
  • Ford 28 Jul 2011 14:39:56 398 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hermiod wrote:
    not everyone listens when Sky tell them to keep their boxes connected to a phone line.

If you don't connect it to the phone line in the first 12 months of your contract, they send threatening letters and eventually cease the service entirely.
  • Ford 28 Jul 2011 14:41:02 398 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hermiod wrote:
    @frod - Many HDMI devices already don't have component outputs because the market already decided that people don't want them. HDMIs advantage - that it's a simple, single cable that just works - was enough to convince people.

It will be mandatory in 2013, no Scart, s-video, composite or component on hdmi-equipped devices.
  • Ford 28 Jul 2011 14:41:30 398 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sony have a new mode of PS3 coming out that won't display HD games over component.
  • Gambit1977 28 Jul 2011 14:44:01 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fr√∏d wrote:
    Sony have a new mode of PS3 coming out that won't display HD games over component.
    I thought HDMI was the only way to get Blu-ray to play in 1080p so this is just a progression of that security surely? In which case, would it not be just firmw
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous