Shadow of Colossus PAL Page 3

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• Deleted user 16 February 2006 20:38:17
    Only one SCART socket here. :(

Can't be bothered buying ANOTHER cable (especially for a 5 year old machine). I'll just put up with the slideshow, I guess.
  • mattman 16 Feb 2006 20:43:16 378 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thread-jacking!
  • mattman 16 Feb 2006 20:47:42 378 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    I think I need an RGB scart lead. Will this one work ?

Yeah, that'll do. =)

/slaps himself for supporting the 'jackers.

Edited by mattman at 20:49:33 16-02-2006
  • Firewine 16 Feb 2006 20:50:02 283 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mattman wrote:
    Thread-jacking!
    Bah! :(

Well, hopefully getting marginally back on topic:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    I'll just put up with the slideshow, I guess.
    I doubt 50hz is to blame for the slideshow, the game's a bit like that in 60hz anyway. TBH, I stopped noticing it after a while.
  • WoodenSpoon 16 Feb 2006 21:20:52 12,285 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mattman wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    I think I need an RGB scart lead. Will this one work ?

Yeah, that'll do. =)

/slaps himself for supporting the 'jackers.

Cheers mate. Quite excited about this now, it's been a while since I've properly been in to a game.

Any idea how long Shadow of the Colossus is ? I think I remember Ico being pretty short.
  • mattman 16 Feb 2006 21:58:29 378 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Done with the first seven colossi, which took me about 4.5 hours. I was a bit slow-witted with two, though. I personally didn't find Ico too short, just about right I'd say. With SotC, I'll defintely come back to one or the other colossus as they've been hugely impressive, so I'm sure I got enough game for my money. The camera system is a bit balky, though, even with the (indispensable) continuous manual correction.
  • Threshall 17 Feb 2006 09:09:01 222 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Artemus wrote:
    Maybe Simply sent all of their first allocation already...? You could order from Gameplay instead. With 1st class post you'd get it by Sat.

Anyway just killed the first two. Am I meant to feel guilty, is that the point?

I think you're right... my order is still 'in progress' and the site is showing out of stock... damn.
  • Huntcjna 17 Feb 2006 09:19:54 13,876 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really, really, really, really special finally playing this through, finished off the 4th last night. I feel so sad hurting them though well apart from the third one he was a bastard.

• Universal_Hamster 17 Feb 2006 09:25:43 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just after getting my copy this morning... Is there any way to reliably remove that cnuting OPSM sticker rom the front of the box without leaving a big sticky mark?

PS: Im so excited I could wee.
  • byron_hinson 17 Feb 2006 16:40:56 1,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Picked it up today, bit of a let down going from 360 back to the PS2 after months, but what did I expect. I'm playing the game via component - are the colours supposed to be so gray throughout?
  • Huntcjna 17 Feb 2006 16:45:13 13,876 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    byron_hinson wrote:
    Picked it up today, bit of a let down going from 360 back to the PS2 after months, but what did I expect. I'm playing the game via component - are the colours supposed to be so gray throughout?

BUY A SCART

But seriously the earlier collosi are quite dark however things do brighten up around the time of collosi 4 or so.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2006 16:45:17
    Gah, I can't believe I still can't beat the first collosi. I'm having some major 'issues' with the grip system.
  • Huntcjna 17 Feb 2006 16:47:28 13,876 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Gah, I can't believe I still can't beat the first collosi. I'm having some major 'issues' with the grip system.

Really?

I hate to say this but if the first on is a struggle your going to want to throw the controller at the screen on some of the later ones.

What are you finding tough specifically maybe some gentle help may be in order.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2006 16:49:19
    Huntcjna wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

Really?

I hate to say this but if the first on is a struggle your going to want to throw the controller at the screen on some of the later ones.

I'm playing it at the moment, and I've taken off about a third of his health, but the grip meter doesn't seem to give a good amount of time to get anywhere. The character also has a habit of jumping OFF the colossi and just jumping into nothing. Then there's the colossus trying to shake you off, which wastes yet more time.

edit: Nope, now I'm dead.

Edited by deathgibbon at 16:50:25 17-02-2006
  • Universal_Hamster 17 Feb 2006 16:53:10 4,948 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can run around the 1st guys back when he is still without holding the grab button, if you need a rest. Just be ready to start grabbing again if he starts moving. Tis pish easy.
  • Huntcjna 17 Feb 2006 16:55:02 13,876 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Huntcjna wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

Really?

I'm playing it at the moment, and I've taken off about a third of his health, but the grip meter doesn't seem to give a good amount of time to get anywhere. The character also has a habit of jumping OFF the colossi and just jumping into nothing. Then there's the colossus trying to shake you off, which wastes yet more time.

edit: Nope, now I'm dead.

Edited by deathgibbon at 16:50:25 17-02-2006

When it comes to gripping remember that there are points on the colossus where you can rest. Wanda will stumble if the surface is uneven but he can happily stand on a platform or the collosi's head and regain grip strength.

Also you don't need to charge up your sword for large strikes you can use multiple lower strength stikes to damage that should help stop you having to hang on as long.
  • kalel 17 Feb 2006 16:55:43 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surely component > scart no?

You can't have progressive scan over scart.
  • byron_hinson 17 Feb 2006 16:57:33 1,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    byron_hinson wrote:

BUY A SCART

But seriously the earlier collosi are quite dark however things do brighten up around the time of collosi 4 or so.

I've got scart - but considering Component video is better than scart for picture quality and colours I didn't expect it to be quite so dark that was all. I like the style of the game just like I did Ico, but I guess being around 360 games so much lately I had seen how great graphically and how vibrant games can be!

Excellent game again though.
  • Huntcjna 17 Feb 2006 16:57:41 13,876 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:

I was under the (probably retarded) premise that component was only 3 connections on PS2 and therefor scart would be higher quality for colouration and sharpness?

Or am I talking absolute bollocks. :/
  • byron_hinson 17 Feb 2006 16:58:16 1,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:

You're right. Component Video is better than Scart.
  • StixxUK 17 Feb 2006 16:58:33 7,255 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh. Wanda is a girl's name.
  • byron_hinson 17 Feb 2006 16:59:17 1,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    kalel wrote:

I was under the (probably retarded) premise that component was only 3 connections on PS2 and therefor scart would be higher quality for colouration and sharpness?

Or am I talking absolute bollocks. :/

Component is 3 connections on 360 etc. Component displays better quality picture and colours than RGB scart. Also allow high-def pictures.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2006 17:00:33
    Truk wrote:
    Are you hitting the bit behind its knee? You know you can shine your sword over the colossus to see its weak points?

Yeah, I am. I've got onto his head once and gave him a few whacks before falling back down to the ground. Again.

edit: Ah, you can stand on his head? I was under the impression he'd be flung off if you just stood.

Edited by deathgibbon at 17:01:53 17-02-2006
  • kalel 17 Feb 2006 17:02:07 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Truk wrote:
    Are you hitting the bit behind its knee? You know you can shine your sword over the colossus to see its weak points?

Yeah, I am. I've got onto his head once and gave him a few whacks before falling back down to the ground. Again.

You suck. Go and buy the latest Harry Potter game, you're not skilled enough for this.
  • Huntcjna 17 Feb 2006 17:05:11 13,876 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    byron_hinson wrote:
    Component is 3 connections on 360 etc. Component displays better quality picture and colours than RGB scart. Also allow high-def pictures.

Ok so why has my 360 component cable got 5 connections on it then?

And why did I buy a scart when I had a component cable in my premium box?

Am I clinically insane?
  • Deleted user 17 February 2006 17:06:57
    Christ, that was pish.

/slaps forehead
  • byron_hinson 17 Feb 2006 17:09:26 1,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    byron_hinson wrote:

Ok so why has my 360 component cable got 5 connections on it then?

And why did I buy a scart when I had a component cable in my premium box?

Am I clinically insane?

It's 5 on the PS2 as well as you are confusing the TWO audio cables that are also part of the component connections on both the 360 and on the PS2.

Component Video has and always will be better than Scart. If you have an LCD TV you should be at least using component video if you can, certainly not scart. Component allows a progressive signal.

To be honest I don't know why you bought a scart cable for your 360 unless your LCD tv doesn't allow component video. Sure you are not confusing Composite cables with component ones?

Edited by byron_hinson at 17:11:14 17-02-2006
  • Huntcjna 17 Feb 2006 17:13:34 13,876 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I have a 32" Flat CRT hooked up to both 360 and PS2 as freeman's still haven't delivered my 37" Tosh LCD yet but my CRT has 2 sets of component and supports progressive scan however the image from my consoles always appears more vibrant using RGB scarts?

Is that strange?
  • laur 17 Feb 2006 17:14:48 1,213 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This game is awesome. I'd played the demo quite a bit so the first colossus wasn't much of a shock to me, or very impressive, but the second one is completely different.
    I'm really enjoying taking my time over this game, wanda(!)ring around looking for white tailed lizards and fruit (I now know what they're for). The whole thing is awe inspiring, from when you first see each colossus (and I've only seen two) to the massive envrionment, including the soundtrack.
    I can't wait to see if there's one in the forest.

Parentheses overload!

Edited by laur at 17:16:53 17-02-2006
  • [maven] 17 Feb 2006 17:17:48 5,156 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right.

Art direction.
    ========

Why is seemingly no other team able to pull of stuff like this (on whatever hardware they choose)? I've entered a cave, where a waterfall falls out from a shadowed ledge into the bright sunlight that's entering the cave from above.
    Things like the doves near the altar flying off and leaving feathers behind.
    The animation of the main character (which I will from hereon will refer to with deep respect to Johnny Cash as "The Wanderer"), the horse (which you really only have to nudge where you want to go), and the colossi themselves are moving more incredibly (and emotively).
    Or the beauty of the water, both being below the surface or simply seeing the blurry reflections.

I could go on and on...

Hats off to the artists and directors (not to forget the programmers, who made it all possible on aging hardware).

If the same team works on a PS3 game, that's enough reason for me to buy one (not that I wasn't going to buy all of them anyway, but you know).

Edited by [maven] at 17:23:59 17-02-2006
  • Page

of 22 First / Last