Could you do us a favour lads?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • AHiFi 13 Feb 2006 23:15:12 1,665 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey there, I'm currently doing a project on games development and the games industry - aye, basically I couldn't be arsed to do a pressing current affairs issue so made a B-Line for Gaming.

Anyway, cut a long story short. Would you mind answering a few questions for a short survey? Just a few answers and some of your time is all that is required. :) Thanks. Oh, and donít worry youíre all Anon.

You can go into detail or just give one word answers, it's up to you:

1. How many hours do you spend playing games a week?
    2. How many games do you purchase a month?
    3. What's your favourite format?
    4. What genre of games do you prefer?
    5. Do you believe modern games are lacking originality?
    6. Do you consider games to be 'art'?
    7. Finally, what are your impressions of 'Next Generation' gaming?

Once again, thanks for reading/contributing! =D

P.S. Anyone know of any contacts I could arrange to have an interview with in the games industry? i.e. Industry Analysts, Journos, Retailers, Developers, Publishers etc. Maybe there are a few on the forums who wouldn't mind?
  • Angel_Treats 13 Feb 2006 23:23:21 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago

1. Probably only about five or six hours at the mo. I'd like to play more but can't seem to find the time.
    2. It varies - anywhere between none and ten. I've cut down recently, only bought one or two since Christmas.
    3. Probably have to go for PS2 if you forced me to choose.
    4. Dunno. Am I allowed to pick 2D beat em ups? ;-) Action adventure/survival horror type things probably.
    5. Aye, definitely. But when something original does get released it stands out all the more. Which is kind of nice.
    6. Most definitely. I know everyone's said it before but Ico is a prime example. As is the Silent Hill series - IMO anyway. And I'm not going to moan about Silent Hill 4.
    7. Very 'meh' so far. I've seen an Xbox 360 in action and have no desire to get one yet. I think the Revolution sounds like a pile of shite. Sorry, but you did ask. I'm most interested in the PS3 at the moment but I'm happy enough to wade through my backlog and maybe upgrade the PC sometime soon instead.

• Tomo 13 Feb 2006 23:23:32 13,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1: 10
    2: 1 or 2
    3: PC
    4: First Person Shooters
    5: Yes
    6: No, in short.
    7: Looking forward to the Revolution, especially. PS3 interests me too, but the XBox just doesn't do it for me.
  • thefilthandthefury 13 Feb 2006 23:24:32 25,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1: Between 10 and 20 to be fair, it varies
    2: 1 usually, though it depends how much I've been paid
    3: Xbox 360 I guess... since the Xbox WAS my best and the 360 has most of my games on the backwards compatible list, then the 360 can replace it
    4: FPS
    5: Only a little bit. Looking back at my childhood there were just as many copycat games as there are now.
    6: No
    7: Good so far, enjoying it a lot
  • kentmonkey 13 Feb 2006 23:25:51 20,696 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

1. 7-10
    2. Purchase at the moment...1, swap on here...about 5-6.
    3. Couldn't decide, all have strengths
    4. Again no specific genre, just great games with an ideal length of about 8-15 hours.
    5. No
    6. No
    7. Oooh shiney graphics, same game you say, thanks I'll keep my £300 then.
  • morriss 13 Feb 2006 23:29:09 71,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1. 10-15
    2. 1
    3. 360
    4. Sports/Adventure/FPS/Action-Adventure/RPG's
    5. Not really, no.
    6. Sometimes. They're like pop/rock groups. Some try to create, be different and artistic, and when it works, you could call it art. Other pop/rock groups are made purely for entertainment and stimulate only the most basic of senses, doesn't make them less fun though.
    7. Loving it so far. The best is (of course) yet to come, though.
  • AHiFi 13 Feb 2006 23:31:47 1,665 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye this is great. Thank you everyone! =D

Interesting answers as well. If you haven't done so, please do post! I'd love to hear your say.
  • gearoid 13 Feb 2006 23:32:56 110 posts
    Registered 9 years ago

1. 15
    2. 3
    3. DS
    4. RPG
    5. No
    6. Yes
    7. Expensive!

;op
  • Deleted user 13 February 2006 23:39:31
    1. 15-20 hours, depending on if I remembered to take my DS to work, and how knackered I am when I get home, or if I have a social life. (ie, it could be a lot less, but rarely more).

2. 1-2 (if you average it out - sometimes none)

3. DS at the moment due to portability. Xbox at home.

4. Actiony adventure types. Occasionally arcade thrill types. The occasional, extremely well done FPS.

5. On the whole? Yes. There are some gems of originality out there (Rez, Frequency, Phoenix Wright) but at the end of the day they're all based on exisiting genres, just done a little bit differently and with more thought.

6. Oh here we go. Depends on what else you're clumping in the category 'art'. If you're putting ALL films in there then yes, you better stick games in too. But I don't think you can call all films art, and you can't call all games art. Some are stunning, some are utter shit.

7. What's next gen? 360? Rev? PS3? Not played on any of those formats so I can't comment. From reading reviews and listening to what people have said, so far the 360 is producing shinier versions of existing games so in that sense Next Gen is getting a big 'so what?' from me. I think the Revolution looks like it will be very interesting and produce groundbreaking new game styles, but nobody can comment on that as it's not out yet.

Edited by Owen-B at 23:42:41 13-02-2006
  • Freek 13 Feb 2006 23:45:24 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1. Not much lately, maybe 5 or so.
    2. 1, sometimes 2, sometimes non.
    3. PS2
    4. Survival horror, action adventure
    5. Not more so then oldschool games.
    6. Not yet, come back in another 10 or 20 years.
    7. Too early to judge, not everybody is here yet and details on the PS3 and Rev are sketchy at best.
    The Xbox 360 hasn't shown what it can really do either, launch line up was poor, but that's normal for a launch. Rushed titles, devs not familiar with the hardware.
    I think MGS 4 is probably what we can expect in terms of visuals, maybe even that Killzone vid near the end of the Ps3/Xbox 360's lifetime when they really push the hardware.
    What the Rev will do is anybodies geuse, we'll see at E3.

Edited by Freek at 23:45:54 13-02-2006
  • dr-gray 13 Feb 2006 23:53:56 380 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Stickman 13 Feb 2006 23:55:35 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1. 20-25
    2. 1-2
    3. PC
    4. Sports
    5. Yes, but only because there's only so many things you can do!
    6. No
    7. Seems alright, bit expensive.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Salaman 14 Feb 2006 00:05:46 19,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bah, things changed a bit recently. Here's the answers you would've got from me about 5 months ago:

15-20

1-2

PC

FPS

No

Over 90% not

Dunno

Currently, it's more like:

4-8

3-5

PC/DS/PSP

FPS, strategy, puzzlers, RPG

No

Over 90% not

Dunno

Crap... that's real clever of me. I have less time to play so I start getting more games.
    :-/
  • MacSam 14 Feb 2006 00:12:27 210 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1. How many hours do you spend playing games a week?.

God, about 15-20.

1-2 depends on the month.

PC

The good games genre, mainly anything apart from JRPGs, which are shit and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

No, but there are a lot of game that aren't original and getting all the press, consumer attention.

No.

Waiting to see. Xbox260 doesn't strike me as Next Gen, but I'm waiting on the Rev to see if it live up to my hopes.
  • MacSam 14 Feb 2006 00:12:38 210 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Feb 2006 00:18:20 25,915 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1. 10-15ish. Probably.
    2. 1 or 2 usually. If I'm feeling flush I might treat myself to an extra bargain bin title as well!
    3. Xbox.
    4. Most time is probably spent on sports titles, so I'll go with that.
    5. Yep.
    6. Some. When they try and do something different (although my answer to question 5 suggests that there can't be many).
    7. Being the Luddite that I am, I have yet to join 'The Next Generaaaation!' So far so meh though from what I've seen.
  • ilmaestro 14 Feb 2006 00:41:23 32,460 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1 - Anything from 2-20, most weeks sliding towards the lower end of that range.
    2 - Full price maybe 2 or 3, in sales/2nd hand maybe another 3 or 4.
    3 - PS2 in terms of having the better games, DS in terms of which one do I personally like at the moment, Dreamcast in all-time terms.
    4 - JRPG, followed by sports (Football and American Football, mainly)
    5 - No way. Quite a few DS games, plus stuff like Katamari Damacy and Shadow of the Colossus may be the exceptions but they are still there.
    6 - If movies and books can be art, then so can games. I'm not sure it's a label that games benefit from, but it is pointless to dismiss them as devoid of artistic merit, once again see SotC for an example.
    7 - It's an exciting prospect, much like any new generation should be. I'm enjoying stuff like DOA4 and PGR3 that isn't a massive leap but looks much better and feels slicker in areas such as Live integration, but I can't wait for things like Eyedentify, should it work well, Gears of War and, in the shorter (hopefully) term, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Edited by ilmaestro at 00:49:49 14-02-2006

• Fozzie_bear 14 Feb 2006 00:53:19 15,530 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1. About 10 - 20 if i get a good weekend in!
    2. Maybe 1 full price game and a couple of bargains if i see them.
    3. PC at the moment.
    4. RTS, WoW (can't put MMORPG as format as it's the only one i've played but i've played it so much lately i should mention it), ps2 platformers and party games (eye toy, singstar)
    5. I honestly don't think so. Years ago when everything was new a game would often be designed around a single gameplay mechanic or graphical effect. Now there's more scope for originality in art design or level design. I'd say that the singstar and eye toy games, for example, show that originality isn't dead. Games like psychonauts show that originality can be putting a decent script to a gaming standard. It's very hard to come up with an all new genre these days but i don't think it's fair to say that all originality has gone for that reason.
    6. Depends how you want to define art i suppose. If it's something that's aesthetically beautiful then i'd put the world in World of Warcraft there as art. It's stunning. If it wasn't art then the travelling would be dull - but i never tire of sitting back and enjoying the flights between towns. If you say that art must be something which touches you on an emotional level then i'd say that most games (no matter how technically flashy) are no more art than a poor Steven Seagal film (and i'd include HL2 and FEAR there) and so not really art at all. Great graphics may be technically great but there's a difference between a technician and an artist. Quake 4 and FEAR undoubtedly have 'better' graphics than WoW yet are nowhere near it in terms of being considered as art.
    7. Not expecting any big leap which we saw between the 16 and 32 bit generations. Now that the move into 3d has been made i doubt we'll ever see such a large generational leap again. From here on in i'd imagine it's going to be more of the same but slightly nicer looking and with the extra processing power meaning nicer physics or enemy AI. Things'll get better but it'll be a continual smooth slope without the steep spikes which have been there between generations in the past.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Toonster 14 Feb 2006 00:54:25 6,842 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AHiFi wrote:

1. 10-15
    2. Depends on my parents' mood (damn them!). I've had my DS since last march and so far I have seven games for it, including the Metroid Hunters demo.
    3. DS
    4. Difficult to say. At the mo, I'm enjoying platforming, racing (only cuz of MKDS), fighting (SSBM) and adventure/shooters. (yes, yes, not the Metroid Prime argument again!)
    5. There are a few original titles once in a while, but they don't come out as often as they used to.
    6. Depends which games. I consider The Wind Waker to be the closest thing videogames are to art.
    7. I've played a King Kong demo on 360 and thought it was impressive. However, the 360 and the PS3 are too expensive and there probably won't be many games I'd want for any of them. I'm waiting for the Rev, for I personally believe my money is better in the hands of Nintendo. Good day, sir.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Daryoon 14 Feb 2006 03:24:38 4,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Varies greatly.

1-2.

It doesn't matter. Games > format.

Anything entertaining.

Originality is an overused utopian term. Nothing is ever truely original.

Who cares, so long as they're fun?

Games > Technical specifications. If the games are fun, nothing else matters.
  • Bunda 14 Feb 2006 04:05:02 5,241 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Usually 4-5.

Rarely any, if anything then 1 or 2.

PC, but mine's a shite box of war3z and so I can't really play any good games. DS then.

Racing, closely followed by weird, random stuff like Katamari.

I think that after awhile, there is no more originality left because everyone's used it all up, but for now, yeah, there's some new stuff. Katamari and WarioWare, for two.

There is an art factor in games, but not all games are art.

I just think the fun factor is the bomb. Daryoon w1ns.

Edited by Bunda at 04:06:13 14-02-2006
  • Toonster 14 Feb 2006 04:25:44 6,842 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daryoon l0s3s, everyoe knows graphics are more important than games. I pity the fool who be thinking otherwise!

• Bunda 14 Feb 2006 04:29:16 5,241 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Toonster wrote:
    Daryoon l0s3s, everyoe knows graphics are more important than games. I pity the fool who be thinking otherwise!
    If this isn't sarcasm, I'll... I'll castrate-
    you!
  • Toonster 14 Feb 2006 05:13:54 6,842 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha! You've fallen into your own trap!

/castrates Bunda

• Bunda 14 Feb 2006 05:15:34 5,241 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But you were too, so your castration is nullified!
    Er- nullo-fied?
    You become a nullo, I sit and laugh.
    /laughs

Edit: Actually, just
    /forces Toonster onto the next page

Edited by Bunda at 05:17:37 14-02-2006
  • Toonster 14 Feb 2006 05:20:18 6,842 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted

• Toonster 14 Feb 2006 05:20:53 6,842 posts