Drunk dialing, serial texting, text and email flirting

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Billy 13 Feb 2006 18:34:43 1 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone else found themselves in the torturous position of being addicted to checking their phone and email inbox hoping to see a message from a certain someone who only seems to communicate with you in this medium? It sucks.

Then, after a certain amount of beer, suddenly feeling courageous and witty I either leave a drunken slur on an answering machine (think of that excrutiating moment in Swingers when you're shouting at the screen "please for the love of God, just hang up!") or send a text - to which I usually wait patiently for a reply from only to receive one the following morning saying "Hungover are we?!"

I hate to tell them they were right as I check my sent items in shame and try and keep some dignity about me.

Thing is, I'm not sure what it is about messaging in particular, but perhaps it's a confidence over distance thing, or maybe it's always the booze, who knows.

Anyone else shamed themselves in this manner, or are you all the ones on the receiving end?!
  • Merlinho 13 Feb 2006 18:39:30 5,909 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought some years ago of a great invention: a phone with built-in breathaliser. Not only could it tell you when you were over the limit, but it could also lock at a preset level of pissedness, maybe limited to certain numbers, so the embarrassment could be avoided for ever.

Alcohol + Mobile Phones = bad mix.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2006 18:41:47
    I bet Billy made a royal textual tit of himself last night and is secretly hoping we can appease his overwhelming sense of shame and loneliness now that the repercussions of his actions have been somewhat stronger than he anticipated, and not in a good way... ;)

Ah, been there.
  • Cuchulainn 13 Feb 2006 18:49:18 845 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That was also me last night. Lovely girl - she totally took things in a good spirited way and made me feel less of a tit when I sent an apology this morning :)

Happens to most of us at one time or another.
  • Stickman 13 Feb 2006 18:50:45 29,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If she doesn't want you sober, she's not going to want you drunk either!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• deem 13 Feb 2006 19:16:00 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ecureuil 13 Feb 2006 19:22:57 76,655 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I do this a lot. I don't even take my phone with me when I go out drinking these days. Pretty pathetic, really..
  • Deleted user 13 February 2006 19:24:42
    deem wrote:
    Drunk Amazon is the worst.

I have had something arrive everyday for 8 days now.

LOL!

I only call my close friends when drunk. That's just to shout abuse at them for not coming out. Never have that many drunken moments with phones.
  • Scurrminator 13 Feb 2006 19:28:47 8,395 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never drink and dial ala sideways, but i can do the drunken texting now and again, and hey - sometimes it works so i don't really care!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Fozzie_bear 13 Feb 2006 19:58:53 15,498 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One night i was drunk and pinched a mate's phone and sent obscene messages to random ladies.

Oh how we laughed.

Until he started getting messages the next day asking "so what IS a 'purple headed spitting cobra' exactly?"

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Deleted user 13 February 2006 20:42:24
    Merlinho wrote:
    I thought some years ago of a great invention: a phone with built-in breathaliser. Not only could it tell you when you were over the limit, but it could also lock at a preset level of pissedness, maybe limited to certain numbers, so the embarrassment could be avoided for ever.

Alcohol + Mobile Phones = bad mix.

Seconded. Mind you, however embarassed you feel after realising through the haze of a hangover that you sent a girl flirting texts the night before imagine the pain of realising you actually didn't send them to the girl you thought they were going to but instead in your drunken hammering away at your phone managed to send them to one of your mates instead.

Gawd, it took me an age to live that one down...
  • Toonster 13 Feb 2006 20:44:43 6,839 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Drunken eBay must suck.

/buys alarm clock for $1200

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• ProfessorLesser 13 Feb 2006 20:49:27 19,356 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You should've seen my drunken EG thread a while back. Woo, man that was a doozy.

Was a good night too! \o/

Shame the thread was deleted :-(
  • Toonster 13 Feb 2006 20:50:15 6,839 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was!? Damn, I enjoyed that thread, too. Wait, you mean EG's intoxicated thread?

• ProfessorLesser 13 Feb 2006 20:50:46 19,356 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No. That wasn't mine.
  • Toonster 13 Feb 2006 20:52:03 6,839 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh...

Well screw it, then.

• ProfessorLesser 13 Feb 2006 20:52:21 19,356 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    \o/
  • THFourteen 13 Feb 2006 20:59:09 33,099 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to like receiving drunken text messages from my other half

its lets you know she wants you even when she's out of her tree and out with her mates

:D
  • Deleted user 13 February 2006 21:02:12
    Billy wrote:
    Has anyone else found themselves in the torturous position of being addicted to checking their phone and email inbox hoping to see a message from a certain someone who only seems to communicate with you in this medium? It sucks.

Then, after a certain amount of beer, suddenly feeling courageous and witty I either leave a drunken slur on an answering machine (think of that excrutiating moment in Swingers when you're shouting at the screen "please for the love of God, just hang up!") or send a text - to which I usually wait patiently for a reply from only to receive one the following morning saying "Hungover are we?!"

I hate to tell them they were right as I check my sent items in shame and try and keep some dignity about me.

Thing is, I'm not sure what it is about messaging in particular, but perhaps it's a confidence over distance thing, or maybe it's always the booze, who knows.

Anyone else shamed themselves in this manner, or are you all the ones on the receiving end?!

Na I have a life. Only joking, I leave drunken texts and emails and phone messages all over the place. I never get the guilt complex unlike some people I know. I just find it funny.
  • Stickman 13 Feb 2006 21:33:36 29,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    You should've seen my drunken EG thread a while back. Woo, man that was a doozy.

Was a good night too! \o/

Shame the thread was deleted :-(

Was that the one where ne'ery two letters of any one word were next to each other in the right order?

Gwassfzzle? Maashewth...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Merlinho 4 Mar 2006 10:31:23 5,909 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone ever wake up after a heavy night out, find an EG screen open on their PC with several last posts belonging to oneself, who can't remember even doing it?

/hurriedly checks threads
  • MisterFalseName 4 Mar 2006 10:54:01 988 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Toonster wrote:
    Drunken eBay must suck.

/buys alarm clock for $1200

It does, according to a friend of mine who bought the complete 'Saved by the Bell' DVD boxset for 50 once off ebay in a drunken moment.

That said, he's never shown any desire to get rid of it...
  • mooth-EcToX 4 Mar 2006 11:07:26 3,619 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah my uncle woke up one day after a night out totally oblivious to the fact that in a couple of days he would be reciving a samurai sword from somewhere in Asia and would be 300 quid down... Intresting.
  • Contra 4 Mar 2006 11:28:30 136 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago

There are actually some mobile providers, that have this kind of service. It's just not as advanced as your "invention". Before you go to your pub to get drunk, you have to activate it by sending a sms. After that you can't phone or sms certain pre-defined numbers till you unlock them again.
    It would have safed me from several embarrassing moments. Only problem with this: You have to know in advance that you are gonna act stupid and embarrassing.

Hmm, maybe not. I shall have it activated all the time.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next