Running Page 33

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Megapocalypse 27 Nov 2013 13:43:31 5,500 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the general rule is to dress as if it were warmer than it actually is. At the moment I would guess shorts and a long sleeve top.

In other news, due to my cycling going to pot at the moment due to work I've decided to start running again.
  • AccidentProne 27 Nov 2013 16:24:48 1,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to be out for a run in all weather wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I was much less fit back then though, so worked up a sweat pretty quick and had a few too many layers of insulating lardiness to keep me warm.

Nowadays I'm a massive ponce when it comes to the cold. Tend to be wrapped up in a base layer, mid layer and sometimes a running jacket too. Gloves and tights last couple of runs n all...
  • JuanKerr 27 Nov 2013 16:32:26 36,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shorts and a single layer running top for me. Sometimes wear a hat, but that usually comes off after about a mile because I get too damn hot.
  • JoeBlade 27 Nov 2013 16:40:30 2,617 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd recommend one of them running jackets. They're not particularly expensive and can be (un)zipped in various places, have specific airing openings and whatnot.
    They're thin yet keep the warmth adequately close even when it's freezing. I've gone running with just that and a T on around minus ten no problem. The first fifteen minutes are chilly but beyond that body heat overrides everything anyhow.

And if it proves too hot you can just tie it around your waist, they're light enough not to be a bother.
  • mrpon 27 Nov 2013 16:42:26 29,430 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    I'd recommend one of them running jackets. They're not particularly expensive and can be (un)zipped in various places, have specific airing openings and whatnot.
    Any for the nipples?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• JoeBlade 27 Nov 2013 17:18:28 2,617 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Any for the nipples?
    Not on the one I've got but I'm not excluding anything.
  • DaM 27 Nov 2013 18:04:18 13,446 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have a fell running jacket I got years ago for cycling. Any breathabilty is probably blocked up with sweat from the inside and oil from the outside.
  • Vortex808 27 Nov 2013 20:32:09 7,476 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Any for the nipples?
    Vaseline. Lots of vaseline.

I do wear a nice baselayer these days on the chilly mornings. Underarmour do my favourite ones. With a long-sleeve running shirt . Maybe even some running tights too if I want to put folk off their breakfast.

Having mild raynaulds syndrome means I tend to wear gloves for a bit if it's frosty or snowy out. Numb fingers are no good, and at least they can be removed if need be.

The running jacket only comes out in bad rain or if there's a really strong wind in the winter. Last time I wore it was a grim half-marathon in the snow.
  • Megapocalypse 2 Dec 2013 11:07:27 5,500 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Went for my first run in almost a year yesterday. Managed about 5.5k in 30 minutes which I'm happy with. Got to build and keep it up now.
  • The_Goon 3 Dec 2013 16:21:03 131 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Three mile run on the cards this evening. Too easy to wimp out with this weather though. Need to keep it up though. Brighton is only 4 months away!
  • The_Goon 4 Dec 2013 09:52:52 131 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Three mile run last night (week 3 of Hal Higdon's Novice Marathon plan). Made it a bit of a pace run. Was just on the wrong side of comfortable at the end. Sub-9:30/mile is probably a bit too fast for any longer distances at the moment.

Does anyone have any comments on gait/cadence? I'm not a seasoned runner by any means so I'm trying to get a good technique before I injure myself. Trying to make sure my feet land beneath my hips and to lean forward slightly but still not sure I'm doing it right.
  • AccidentProne 4 Dec 2013 11:41:08 1,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I see from the Nike+ thread you're another Garmin user, have you got the footpod/pedometer thing too?

You're apparently aiming at a cadence of 180/min to minimise injury. I think that's for proper athletes though and obviously depends on your pace. Me, I tend to be around 165-170 on training run, rarely hitting 180. That's at around a 5:00-5:30/km sort of pace.

Injury free since I started focusing on my cadence a bit more though and that's without consciously trying to change any other part of my running form, I guess the shorter stride just comes naturally.
  • Benno 4 Dec 2013 11:45:18 10,222 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    I'm not a seasoned runner by any means so I'm trying to get a good technique before I injure myself. Trying to make sure my feet land beneath my hips and to lean forward slightly but still not sure I'm doing it right.
    For distance running, use the two string approach. That is: imagine two strings, one pulling the top of your head up, and one pulling the middle of your chest out. This will give you the tall posture you want for proper support. I don't think you should lean forward as that might cause you back and neck pain.
  • The_Goon 4 Dec 2013 12:18:38 131 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cheers guys. AP, no foot pod but I have been looking at one for a while (especially for indoor running when the weather gets a bit worse). I've read the same thing re 180/min which is why I've asked about it here. I haven't counted but I try to keep my cadence fairly high and stride fairly short. My issue is that it feels really short and I still have at least some knee area ache after (not a lot by any means though). I see people out running taking massive strides and it makes me wonder if I'm approaching it incorrectly.

Benno, I'll give your approach a shot. I've just read a slight natural lean from the ankles is slightly more efficient. Will go with what feels best though I think. No point overthinking all of this.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2013 23:23:42
    I'm 5x commute runs away from hitting my 1,000 mile target for the year \o/

So 2013 for me:
    - I ran a 1:42 half-marathon "by accident" :-D
    - I started trail running when I found the Leeds Country Way less than half a mile from my house
    - Started running zero-drop
    - set a 10km PB in the Abbey Dash last month (47:22)

Targets for next year:

- Thinking about another 1,000 miles but without rearranging some stuff at work it might not be do-able. My kids are missing me :-(
    - if I can't do the pure distance I'll focus my running a little to do more tempo runs and speedwork
    - Back for the Leeds half-marathon in May
    - Trail Marathon Wales in June. Looks *hard* but should be a good way to pop my marathon cherry
    - Adidas Thunder Run in July
    - End goal - finish the summer by running the entire Leeds Country Way (62 miles)

Never thought Couch to 5k could end like this :-)
  • altitude2k 18 Jan 2014 09:42:40 4,840 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To anyone here who does half marathons, do you bother to taper off your training?

My fourth year at the Silverstone Adidas half this year, and my primary goal leading up to it is to train so that at the drop of a hat I can go out for a 12-13 mile run without much bother. Been doing it once a weekend for the last 3, but had no real plans to reduce that before the event in March.
  • AccidentProne 18 Jan 2014 10:03:58 1,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really depends what I'm aiming for. I tend to treat most half marathons as training runs in my full marathon plan. In those cases, I might back off the miles slightly in the week coming up to the race, but it'll still be pretty full on. Not a taper as such.

Then again, last half I ran was outside of any marathon plans, so I tapered properly. Got myself a relatively easy pb and felt great doing it. I'm not sure how much of that boost was from my earlier marathon training though, but going into a race with relatively fresh legs has to be a good thing.

Are you running intervals, hill sprints or fartlek as part of your training. I've recently found those almost as important as my long runs in improving my times. Just started doing strides as well, which are supposed to be incredibly beneficial too.
  • altitude2k 18 Jan 2014 10:09:57 4,840 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Training right now consists of a very fast 2-miler, a "target pace" 5-miler, and a slightly less-pacey 12-miler per week.
  • Saucy 20 Jan 2014 09:42:16 2,613 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Training right now consists of a very fast 2-miler, a "target pace" 5-miler, and a slightly less-pacey 12-miler per week.
    That looks fairly solid to me. Running at different speeds is the key, took me a few years to realise going out and plodding round at the same steady pace doesn't really help.

Id probably try and build the race pace run over the weeks, but not more than 8 miles.
  • StixxUK 20 Jan 2014 10:33:52 7,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What's the best app for making running more fun? I did a half marathon a couple of years ago but have stagnated since then.

Really quite unfit!
  • RunningMan 20 Jan 2014 11:09:23 2,450 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @StixxUK zombierun is a decent fun app. I linked the android app but it's also on ios.
  • StixxUK 20 Jan 2014 11:29:02 7,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RunningMan Thanks, Android is the one for me! I'll give it a go :)
  • JuanKerr 20 Jan 2014 11:40:50 36,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been concentrating on getting my 5km time down - finally went under 22 mins last night. Wooo.

Edited by JuanKerr at 11:56:14 20-01-2014
  • RunningMan 20 Jan 2014 11:48:43 2,450 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @StixxUK Just listening to a giant bombinterview about this app. It's also on special offer at 2.99 at the moment.
  • Youthist 20 Jan 2014 11:53:25 10,057 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Been concentrating on getting my 5km time down - finally went under 21 mins last night. Wooo.
    Good work. I been trying to get under 20 but I cannot do it! Under 21 is tough going too. Nice one.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• mcmonkeyplc 20 Jan 2014 11:54:54 39,521 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fucking hell. I'm still trying to get it below 25 mins!

Although that's taking a back burner now as I'm trying to train for a half marathon.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• JuanKerr 20 Jan 2014 11:56:50 36,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooops, I meant under 22!
  • Youthist 20 Jan 2014 12:05:12 10,057 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My 10k (flat course) PB time is 40.58 (back in 2009 pre-major knee op and before my back got totally fucked!). I cannot I do not think ever get back to that....peaked lol.

Got Brighton Half in a month, working on that right now but it is tough going!

Edited by Youthist at 12:05:29 20-01-2014

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• senso-ji 20 Jan 2014 12:21:16 6,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My best ever 5k time was 19:57 way back in 2007. I remember it because it was just before I went on holiday; when I came back two weeks later, I couldn't get anywhere near the time. Since then, though, knee injuries, shin splints and a host of other injuries means I never did (and probably won't) get that time again :(
  • Page

of 35 First / Last