Running Page 4

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• RunningMan 2 Apr 2009 13:24:10 2,356 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't drink two much, if you can hear the water sloshing in your stomach, you've drank too much. You don't lose that much water during a ten k.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 13:32:48 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RunningMan wrote:
    Don't drink two much, if you can hear the water sloshing in your stomach, you've drank too much. You don't lose that much water during a ten k.

this..

On a 3 hour ride I can get by with 2 bottles, but the general rule is at least 500ML per hour. If I'm training particularly hard I'll bring a 3rd, and I'll make sure i'm well hydrated even before I get on the bike. I tend to use at least 1 isotonic drink as it is far better than just water. Water will not replace all the lost vitamins, minerals and electrolites you lose in sweat.

Also, a lot depends on the weather and individual person. if I use the cycling as an example, a bigger rider will need more fluids than a lighter one. It's very individual.
  • rutter 2 Apr 2009 13:34:47 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I drink all the bloody time. Probably too much really.
    Like I said, I have a pint of water before I leave for work, I do the best part of 2 litres by midday. Then another 2-4 cups of water in the afternoon.
    Once I get home I do at least 3 if not 4 or more pints of squash before bed.

I take a pint of squash to bed and almost always drink all of this in the night.

• pistol 2 Apr 2009 13:36:30 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rutter wrote:
    I drink all the bloody time. Probably too much really.
    Like I said, I have a pint of water before I leave for work, I do the best part of 2 litres by midday. Then another 2-4 cups of water in the afternoon.
    Once I get home I do at least 3 if not 4 or more pints of squash before bed.

I take a pint of squash to bed and almost always drink all of this in the night.

Brilliant, but you still need fluids while you run, and of course after. Not just for hydration but also to replace the things I've mentioned before.
  • thrawn 2 Apr 2009 13:47:30 888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    thrawn wrote:
    I find it impossible to run, or do any exercise really, if I've eaten before. I have to run first thing in the morning or when I get it from work, roughly 4-5 hours after my last meal. I seem to be a bit strange on this matter though.

Depends what you eat, how much and how long before you exercise. My training is a bit more extreme compared to you, but you really should eat some carbs before training. If you're stuck for time and aren't running particularly far, I would suggest some light simple carbs, like a banana. Also get some fluids down you. If you haven't eaten anything since tea time the night before, your body won't have much glycogen to use as energy.

Or, if you are definately going to be running early morning, try eating a high carb meal the night before. Then you can just eat some very light carbs in the morning, as I said, a banana for example, and fluids. I'd bet my mortgage you have more energy when you're running.

If I'm doing a particularly long ride in the morning, say 50 miles plus at a fast pace, I'll eat a high carb meal the might before, say pasta and veg for example. Then when I wake i'll have plenty of fluids and another high carb breakfast. Porridge with raisens and honey. I'll then start the ride about an hour later. By that time everything is ready to be used and I don't run out of energy. In the early days I'd just have a normal breakfast, and a normal not so high carb meal the night before, and I would run out of energy about half way. Not anymore..and my mileage and speed has gone up too.

I usually sip from a pint of water while I'm getting dressed/wandering about the house/etc before running. I will try having a banana beforehand though.

I do either 2 miles of fartlec running or 4-5 miles at an average pace.

BTW I did my first race at the beginning of March. 5 miles and I finished in 44 minutes 56 seconds, which I was very pleased with. I was averaging around 50 minutes during training but the excitement of the day made me go a bit faster than normal.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 13:54:44 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thrawn wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    thrawn wrote:
    I find it impossible to run, or do any exercise really, if I've eaten before. I have to run first thing in the morning or when I get it from work, roughly 4-5 hours after my last meal. I seem to be a bit strange on this matter though.

Depends what you eat, how much and how long before you exercise. My training is a bit more extreme compared to you, but you really should eat some carbs before training. If you're stuck for time and aren't running particularly far, I would suggest some light simple carbs, like a banana. Also get some fluids down you. If you haven't eaten anything since tea time the night before, your body won't have much glycogen to use as energy.

Or, if you are definately going to be running early morning, try eating a high carb meal the night before. Then you can just eat some very light carbs in the morning, as I said, a banana for example, and fluids. I'd bet my mortgage you have more energy when you're running.

If I'm doing a particularly long ride in the morning, say 50 miles plus at a fast pace, I'll eat a high carb meal the might before, say pasta and veg for example. Then when I wake i'll have plenty of fluids and another high carb breakfast. Porridge with raisens and honey. I'll then start the ride about an hour later. By that time everything is ready to be used and I don't run out of energy. In the early days I'd just have a normal breakfast, and a normal not so high carb meal the night before, and I would run out of energy about half way. Not anymore..and my mileage and speed has gone up too.

I usually sip from a pint of water while I'm getting dressed/wandering about the house/etc before running. I will try having a banana beforehand though.

I do either 2 miles of fartlec running or 4-5 miles at an average pace.

BTW I did my first race at the beginning of March. 5 miles and I finished in 44 minutes 56 seconds, which I was very pleased with. I was averaging around 50 minutes during training but the excitement of the day made me go a bit faster than normal.

Nice one..

Obviously you don't need to go overboard on the carbs if the run is short, but be aware of it, and the fluids.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 14:08:59 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And if you're looking at using an isotonic drink but don't know which brand to use, try one of these recipes. I've been using brand names for a while and still have a tub of Powerbar Performance to get through, but have just starting making my own and they bloody work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/healthy_eating/features/newsid_2132000/2132209.stm

• rutter 2 Apr 2009 14:21:39 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's pretty much the recipe the Doctor gave my wife to make for our Daughter who's had gastroenteritis. Think his was, 1 pt water, tablespoon sugar and pinch of salt. Replace water with squash as you see fit.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 14:56:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rutter wrote:
    That's pretty much the recipe the Doctor gave my wife to make for our Daughter who's had gastroenteritis. Think his was, 1 pt water, tablespoon sugar and pinch of salt. Replace water with squash as you see fit.

Yep, you'll sweat the salt out on a good workout and water alone just does not suffice.
  • Youthist 2 Apr 2009 15:18:43 9,902 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Wheatabix two hours before running ftw.
    Also I swear by Lucozade glucose tablets on the run itself, if running like a 1/2M or more.

The weetabix will give you a slower release of energy, which is good for long periods of running/cycling, but the lucozade will be a quick burst, not slow releasing and not really that useful tbh. Maybe if you run out of gas it can help, but I wouldn't bother before the run.

Right, I said on the run itself for the tablets.....like take the occasionl tablet as you are on the route itself. It works for me.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• pistol 2 Apr 2009 15:29:14 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Wheatabix two hours before running ftw.
    Also I swear by Lucozade glucose tablets on the run itself, if running like a 1/2M or more.

The weetabix will give you a slower release of energy, which is good for long periods of running/cycling, but the lucozade will be a quick burst, not slow releasing and not really that useful tbh. Maybe if you run out of gas it can help, but I wouldn't bother before the run.

Right, I said on the run itself for the tablets.....like take the occasionl tablet as you are on the route itself. It works for me.

How far do you run in total again?
  • mikew1985 3 Apr 2009 09:04:28 12,081 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone got one of those Nike+ ipod thingy's, I'm thinking of getting one as I have an ipod touch 2G and bring my ipod on all my runs anyway. Are they any use? How accurate are they measuring distance run etc?
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 3 Apr 2009 09:13:36 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I got one. They're really accurate, so long as you calibrate it properly.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 3 Apr 2009 09:15:17 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is the sort of data it generates for you.
  • mikew1985 3 Apr 2009 09:23:43 12,081 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cool, that sounds like exactly what I want it for, great the way you can store all your data online too. Did you go for a pair of N+ running shoes as well or did you just get one of the pouches. I need a new pair anyway so I might just get the Nike ones if they give more accurate performance or something(don't know why they would but it may be the case).
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 3 Apr 2009 09:34:19 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought a pouch which fit on to the laces of my running shoes. It only cost a few quid, and it still gives an accurate measurement. It's dead fun using the kit; when you run a certain distance, or beat a PB, Lance Armstrong and Paula Radcliffe talk to you!
  • mikew1985 3 Apr 2009 09:58:45 12,081 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hehe cool :).

Think I'll stick with Lance, presumably Paula faints and shits herself midrun, no?
  • Youthist 3 Apr 2009 10:15:11 9,902 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

How far do you run in total again?

I run half marathons usually

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• mikew1985 12 Apr 2009 12:01:33 12,081 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got one of those Nike iPod things last saturday, It seems to be great so far, really glad with it. Really helps to keep you going and there's something oddly compelling about uploading and storing all of your records/beating PB's etc. Well it's such a beautiful day I'll be off for a run now :D
  • Santino 15 Apr 2009 17:46:31 399 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yeah nike+ is great, i remember finishing a run and to my surprise there was a message congratulating me on my fastest 10k or something from paula radcliffe.
  • rutter 16 Apr 2009 09:12:17 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got my 10K race on Sunday - but I haven't been for a run since the 3rd due to having a cold for almost 2 weeks! I'm still full of it now. In fact I feel worse today than I have done all week.

I wonder if I'll even be well enough to take part - and if I am, I'll be seriously out of practice. What a dissapointment :(
  • Murbal 16 Apr 2009 09:13:36 21,547 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go for a quickie rutter - you may find that it helps to clear your head. Saving that, grab a bowl of steaming hot water, a towel and a few drops of Olbas oil :-)
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Apr 2009 09:16:20 21,246 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hope your feeling better soon rutter! I missed out on 2 weeks training as well but went for a run the other day and it was fine. If you can squeeze one in I think you'll find you're fitter than you think.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• rutter 16 Apr 2009 09:21:09 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for the advice and wishes gents! I have my kit under the desk so am hoping that tomorrow I'll feel up for a quick jaunt. Like you say, if I can just squeeze one in I won't feel quite so under-prepared.

I may well try the olbas oil tonight Murbal - good plan :)

Found another local 10K on May 17th, so will be enterting that too. Hopefully I can do both and use the second to trim down my pb.
  • THFourteen 30 Dec 2009 15:23:29 31,815 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    psyching myself up to run home at 5pm. first time i've run outside ever. its like 4miles

i've bought all the gadgets, got run-tracking app on my iphone, sports headphoens, new trainers and a rucksack with a water attachment thingy

i am just picturing it now "haha look at the fat man running"
  • thrawn 30 Dec 2009 15:25:51 888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best bit of advice for a beginner is to slow down. Pace doesn't matter at first. The most important thing is getting your body used to running for a period time. You can work on pace later.
  • THFourteen 30 Dec 2009 15:27:31 31,815 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh totally. i am going to jog rather than actually run, and see how i get on the first time.

also i've mapped my route out so it follows the DLR home so i can jump on a train (and stink it out) if its too much for me
  • sport 30 Dec 2009 15:38:46 12,046 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    psyching myself up to run home at 5pm. first time i've run outside ever. its like 4miles

i've bought all the gadgets, got run-tracking app on my iphone, sports headphoens, new trainers and a rucksack with a water attachment thingy

I'd seriously ditch the gear (apart from the trainers). It'll just weigh you down. You want to be as light as a hollow reed.
  • THFourteen 30 Dec 2009 15:41:02 31,815 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah i would ditch the rucksack, but problem with running home from work is that i need some way of getting my big coat, belt, hat,gloves and scarf home otherwise journey to work tomorrow will be chilly :(
  • Murbal 30 Dec 2009 15:42:12 21,547 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

I'd seriously ditch the gear (apart from the trainers). It'll just weigh you down. You want to be as light as a hollow reed.

That said, if you're encumbered you'll be burning more calories...
  • Page

of 35 First / Last