Running Page 26

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Monsieur_Blade 23 Sep 2012 22:29:38 338 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So today was the day of my half marathon and I've got to admit I wasn't feeling too confident last night due to the pain I've been having with my knee during my training.

To my surprise though, my knee behaved itself and I managed to complete it in 1hr 47mins. It was super wet though (which I actually quite enjoyed!) and it was my first half marathon ever so I'm well chuffed with that time :)
  • AccidentProne 24 Sep 2012 08:59:25 1,151 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done mate, decent time too.

Thanks to injuries, I've no races coming up and it's putting a bit of a dent in my motivation. I am signed up for Run to the Beat next month, but the doctor's forbidden me from entering. Probably won't be running anything until the Cambridge half next year. Oh and the zombie evacuation race next month, but that's only 5k and just a bit of a laugh.
  • Megapocalypse 24 Sep 2012 17:12:56 5,306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone have any experience of shin splints? Appear to have developed a problem in one of my legs and research would suggest thats what it is. Can a doctor actually do anything about it other than say "don't run again" and prescribe a few painkillers? Will a support help?

Really pissed off, as I thought I was doing quite well. :(

Edited by Megapocalypse at 17:13:18 24-09-2012
  • mal 24 Sep 2012 17:24:26 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I got them when I started running in shit trainers (which are now my cycling shoes). Had to take a couple months off, then go and get proper shoes, and it's not been a problem since.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• AccidentProne 24 Sep 2012 18:52:24 1,151 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to get them when I started out. Again, better shoes was the solution. Get a gait analysis done if you haven't already.

Make sure it is just shin splints though. I got what I thought were shin splints a few months back, assumed it was down to my new trainers and upping my distances and tried to run through it... Turned out I'd got stress fractures in both legs!
  • mal 24 Sep 2012 19:38:35 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isn't shin splints down to the ligaments inflaming because they're being torn away from the bone? I wouldn't increase my distances even if it was 'only' shin splints.

Edit: Not according to wikipedia, it ain't.

Edited by mal at 22:31:59 24-09-2012

• Megapocalypse 24 Sep 2012 19:49:41 5,306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers. As I thought; rest it is. I've been meaning to get a gait analysis done, so will do that as soon as it feels better.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 19:49:49 24-09-2012
  • AccidentProne 24 Sep 2012 19:52:05 1,151 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I probably worded that badly. I meant I assumed the increased distance is what caused it. When it started hurting I cut down my distances and rested a lot more than usual, though I should have stopped completely. Definitely worth seeing a doctor though.
  • BillMurray 5 Oct 2012 11:32:31 7,604 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Decided to join a gym this week seeing as I lost my job a month back and don't have a lot else to do apart from sit on my arse and play video games. Got my pair of Nike Retro Elites through the post this morning. Last pair of trainers I had was about 10 years ago when I got issued a pair of Hi-Tec Silver Shadows when I started basic training.

These are super comfy(at least just walking around the house) and I can't wait to give them their first run out!
  • fletch7100 5 Oct 2012 11:48:14 6,901 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @BillMurray

In the same boat as you

Being made redundant at end of the year. So have to sign up with a local gym. Bit of a shock going from a free military gym opened 24/7 to a civvie gym with all their different membership fees. Popped into couple of my local ones and asked about the prices. Every time they tried to start off their selling pitch I just cut them off and say how much a month ? That's all I want to know

I remember those great silver shadows they issued us :) Had one pair so long think they just moulded themselves to my feet after all the cross country running I done in them. Got worn down so much felt like I was running barefoot, guess that's why they felt so comfortable

Been using Nike freerunners, very lightweight and comfortable. Best ones I have used in ages, less aggro with my knees and hips
  • SYS64738 5 Oct 2012 16:18:37 1,575 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Had a running break for over 2 weeks, next run is gonna feel like I start from scratch:(
  • mal 6 Oct 2012 00:07:24 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I finally got round to digging out my running shoes, as my bike is out of action for two months. Haven't run for a few months now, and even then it was only a couple of shortish stints before I managed to knacker a foot (by walking, of all things). Last time I ran properly was over six months ago.

So tonight was a trial run. Got to 6k, legs felt okay, heart rate still pretty good, pace still there. 7k, still a-ok. 8k, well, may as well go for the 10 from here, especially as I was over a mile away from home at that point. Shortly after, I did start to feel some tightness in my right thigh area (which surprised me, as my thighs have visibly bulked up since I got the bike), but that passed. By 10k I won't say both legs still felt fresh, but I've run on worse in the past. My overall time for the 10k was within 5% of my best time for that route which I'm pretty chuffed with.

• Youthist 8 Oct 2012 14:10:52 10,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did anyone run Windsor Half yesterday? First race for 2 and a half years, loved it!

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• sport 8 Oct 2012 14:24:30 12,499 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Did anyone run Windsor Half yesterday? First race for 2 and a half years, loved it!
    Time? Don't bother posting if it's over 70mins!
  • Youthist 8 Oct 2012 14:55:07 10,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1:38.02 - PB at Windsor is 1.36.38 (before major knee op 2009!)

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• sport 8 Oct 2012 15:06:54 12,499 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the fuck did I just say?!?!!?!

;-P Well done mate - very impressive.
  • Youthist 8 Oct 2012 15:16:28 10,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The winner was 1hr 15!

Anyway - fuck you! :D

• mangojoe 8 Oct 2012 15:50:39 414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did the Southend 10k yesterday. Did in 50 mins. Anyway I want to improve my time but after about 30 mins of running I get pins and needles in my feet and tight calf muscles . My trainers are not too tight I don't think . Any ideas anyone?
  • AccidentProne 8 Oct 2012 16:09:01 1,151 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Assuming you're wearing the right sort of trainers, you could possibly try lacing them differently. This article describes various ways of lacing to avoid certain types of foot pain, doesn't mention pins and needles or tight calf muscles though...
  • AccidentProne 8 Oct 2012 16:19:29 1,151 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does sound like you might just be tieing them too tight though. Also, some dynamic stretches whilst warming up might help with the tight muscles.
  • mal 16 Oct 2012 19:25:01 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Balls. Tried going out a couple of days after my last 10k, but to be honest my left thigh felt tight during stretching, and it started to give up just after 7k. Struggled through to 7.5k but had to leave it there. I clearly don't understand my legs well enough - it was a muscle in the front of my thigh but evidently tensed when I was pushing the leg back. I'd have thought the muscles to with with that would be at the rear of my thigh, but perhaps it was one of the muscles controlling sideways motion, which don't get tested as much when I'm on my bike.

Today was the first day when my legs and feet all felt 100% ok when I got up, so I went out for another run. Blimey, heart rate was back to being the limiting factor, and my 10k time was a whole 2 minutes slower than last week. After the run I could taste iron, which I've not experienced for a good few years now. Seems my cardiovascular fitness is no better than it was when I bought my bike and stopped running (though my legs are definitely more powerful now).

• altitude2k 17 Oct 2012 17:45:15 3,725 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anybody do any of the weekly Park Run 5k events around the UK? Just found one near me and seems like a pretty good way to keep motivated - especially considering it's free. Also 5k is a good distance - not too hard for beginners, and good for getting some real pace if you're more advanced.

www.parkrun.org.uk
  • craigy Staff 2 Nov 2012 14:27:12 7,491 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I almost had a "Radcliffe" whilst out yesterday. Almost didn't make it home in time.

Anyone have experience going barefoot or using finger shoes?
  • Zomoniac 2 Nov 2012 14:30:50 7,780 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My flatmate has finger shoes. I tried some on but my feet are the wrong shape. He liked them and used them for a few months but switched back to trainers. From the sounds of it a very different technique that uses different muscle sets and he found it a bit awkward going back to regular trainers so wrote the experiment off.
  • Vortex808 2 Nov 2012 15:04:51 6,932 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I almost had a "Radcliffe" whilst out yesterday. Almost didn't make it home in time.

Anyone have experience going barefoot or using finger shoes?
    Sounds like you need some kind of bog roll carrier, not fancy shoes. :p
  • catterz 2 Nov 2012 15:49:21 8,763 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You should head over to the Nike+ running thread... we talk about sore nipples.

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• Popzeus 20 Nov 2012 09:56:21 8,271 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Garmin Forerunner 310 XT HRM coming up at 4pm today on Amazon's Black Friday promo...

Anyone here used this particular one? I need a new running watch as my Nike one packed in and I've got a marathon to train for, not sure if I can be bothered with the heart rate monitor aspect of it though.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• craigy Staff 20 Nov 2012 10:16:54 7,491 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've no experience at all with HRMs, sorry!
  • mal 20 Nov 2012 10:17:50 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been using a 305 for the past few years, and I've found it very handy (including the HRM). IIRC the difference between the 310 and the 305 minimal - the 310 is more compact, but IIRC missing some of the interval training stuff (which is easy enough to do manually anyway).

• Popzeus 20 Nov 2012 10:20:28 8,271 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers Mal. It's reduced to 210 already (from list price of 279) so if they knock another 50 or so off for the deal I might give it a go.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Page

of 35 First / Last