Running Page 23

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• mrpon 21 Aug 2012 19:14:43 28,768 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes no doodad needed. See here for more details: http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/products/

Plus we have a mini EG Nike+ community going here: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/174725

The Nike+ is under construction atm, so we're expecting to start the monthly EG runs next month or so.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mcmonkeyplc 3 Sep 2012 13:28:05 39,440 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hello runners.

My left butt cheek hurts after running or long walks. Specfically just below my left buttock. It's been like this since I went for a run in May.

Anyone have any advice how to cure this pain the arse? Wasn't a problem during the summer as I don't like running when it's hot but now it's time to get running again and it's annoying!

Thanks

Come and get it cumslingers!

• geeza2020 3 Sep 2012 14:09:44 1,886 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cut your right foot off. I guarantee that will stop you worrying about the pain in your left buttock.

You're welcome :)
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Sep 2012 12:02:25 39,440 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks?

Anyone got any useful suggestions before I go to the doc complaining about my arse? :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• HitchHiker 4 Sep 2012 13:39:39 2,771 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thinking about running to increase my general fitness because I can't run 30 yards at the moment without gasping for breath. So unfit at the moment and starting to get a little middle age spread, I used to do the 1500m at school no problem . . . 25 years ago ;)

Anyway, do you guys go out to a favourite run or course or do you just step out the front door and go from there. Living in a city, with just the streets to run on doesn't really appeal . . .

What are your thoughts on treadmills for the home, we don't really have room for one but I thought it might be an option?

I'm not planning on running any marathons or 5k runs, just increase my fitness.

Edited by HitchHiker at 13:40:03 04-09-2012
  • senso-ji 4 Sep 2012 13:43:20 5,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc

Sounds like a hamstring problem. Has the level of pain decreased since May or is it about the same? If it's about the same, then get to a Doctor ASAP.
  • mal 4 Sep 2012 14:12:33 22,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hamstring in his arse? Really?

I was just thinking whether or not it could be related to the knee but that high up suggest hip/thigh movement to my barely trained mind, certainly not all the way down to the hamstring.

I'd recommend gettng it checked out by the doctor (who will most likely tell you nothing very useful, but they'll rule out the worst cases, and they're generally very good for everything apart from sport induced injuries ime). Then go to a proper running shop who will analyse your gait and find out what the hell you're doing wrong.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mal 4 Sep 2012 14:13:46 22,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It would appear I missed out a few words from the opening para there. Never mind, you get the gist I'm sure. Liquid lunches ftw.

• senso-ji 4 Sep 2012 14:18:20 5,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He said the pain was just below his arse cheek. I've had a torn hamstring before and the pain didn't localise to the specific area of the hamstring. In either case, he should go see a doctor and take their advice.
  • mal 4 Sep 2012 15:21:48 22,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Agreed on that. Indicentally, senso-ji, did you know you made the 666th post in this thread, you devil you!

• mikew1985 4 Sep 2012 15:53:34 12,672 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Thinking about running to increase my general fitness because I can't run 30 yards at the moment without gasping for breath. So unfit at the moment and starting to get a little middle age spread, I used to do the 1500m at school no problem . . . 25 years ago ;)

Anyway, do you guys go out to a favourite run or course or do you just step out the front door and go from there. Living in a city, with just the streets to run on doesn't really appeal . . .

What are your thoughts on treadmills for the home, we don't really have room for one but I thought it might be an option?

I couldn't really recommend a treadmill over a proper run outside either in the park or even along the road.

Treadmills are very boring and unfulfilling from an exercise perspective.

Getting out in the air is preferable and you'll actually find it easier to go for longer.

No offence meant but you should be aiming to work yourself up to a minimum of being capable of running a 5k. As strange as that may sound to you at this stage, you'll be amazed how quickly you'll build up to that level and it would be a good base of fitness to have.

Best of luck mate, maybe look to Gurgy in the Nike+ thread, he has had a pretty inspirational path to fitness over the past two and half years.
  • Lamb 4 Sep 2012 16:01:24 474 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc

Do leg and back stretches, check your shoes are up to par, laced properly.

If its too tender don't run on it. Distance walk comfortably before you can run.

Make sure you are not cutting off your circulation at home when you are sitting.
  • mikew1985 4 Sep 2012 16:06:10 12,672 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was thinking that there is a strong possibility that your pain is related to a back problem.

I have mild to very annoying sciatica and it all culminates in my upper arse/hip and the middle of my calf.

The best way for me to manage this is a lot of exercise and some stretching.
  • Youthist 4 Sep 2012 16:17:44 10,011 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got the Windsor Half in 4 weeks, first one attempted since major knee surgery 2 years ago this October. Nervous - and slow these days. Still - lucky to even be able to run on it at all.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Lamb 4 Sep 2012 16:22:16 474 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mikew1985

I like treadmills. Its a much easier more even exercise, less wear & tear on the feet, worrying about uneven surfaces, you can go for as long as you want without worrying about coming back or the weather; you can watch whatever while exercising.

Though I agree nothing beats a great day outdoors when you are comfortable enough to be out there and being able to still run three miles is quite admirable on your part.
  • Zomoniac 4 Sep 2012 16:31:57 7,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    If you do start running you'll look back at that in a couple of months and chortle to yourself as you'll very quickly go from struggling to do a couple of km to not even bothering to get off your seat to run less than 5k as it doesn't seem worth the effort.
  • mal 4 Sep 2012 16:35:38 22,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When I started running I calculated the distance round the park to start with, then when looping bits of that got boring I worked out the route to the next park. Doing the two parks together without any fiddling adds up to about 8k which was still a good workout length when I switched to cycling instead. Actually, my favourite routes were getting from work to home and vice versa. Feels nice to be running to somewhere, rather than just round in a loop, even if it is all streets and 50% main roads. By the time I was doing that I was swearing by my GPS watch - I'd always get bored taking the same roads, so I'd vary the route a little every time. So much easier to just glance at your wrist to work out how far you've gone than to have to map it out first.

• Monsieur_Blade 4 Sep 2012 17:01:00 343 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm running my first ever half marathon at the end of September and I'm after a bit of advice:

The last few weeks I've been upping my training and done quite a few 5k runs in succession. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a pain in my right knee after getting about 3k into my run. I don't know if its just a strain from so many runs or I've done some serious damage. It seems fine if i leave it 3 or 4 days between runs but if i run every other day i can really feel it!

As I'll be running 13 miles soon I'm really worried i might do some serious damage or not even finish the race!

Would people advise visiting a doctor or physio? Just resting? Altering my running style (i really run on the outside edge of my feet) ? Or are there some exercises i could do to strengthen the knee?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Youthist 4 Sep 2012 17:03:46 10,011 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rest it for a week.

Also, run 10 miles at least once before the race .

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• mal 4 Sep 2012 17:32:46 22,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've found a cheap knee brace from Lidl helps when my left knee gives me gyp from cycling. It just keeps the knee straighter. I think I've pinpointed my problem to a shitty little muscle that seems to come out of the side of the knee - I guess that's getting overworked trying to stabilise the knee with my perhaps sligtly wonky cycling style.

I did have trouble with shin-splints when I ran at first. Those took a while to heal, but by the time they did I'd bought some proper shoes (I run on my arches and pronate something wicked). I did find those spastic shoes did put more twisting stress on my knees to begin with than they were used to, but they quickly sorted themselves out.

• Monsieur_Blade 4 Sep 2012 18:21:01 343 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers for the advice guys. I think I'll give the knee a rest for a week and then try a 10k run and see how i feel.

If the pain comes back then i might invest in a knee support brace. It might just be down to the fact my knees aren't used to this much running!
  • monkehhh 4 Sep 2012 19:26:08 3,297 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @HitchHiker Check out one of the many couch-to-5k programs / apps? They seem like a decent introduction to running (running / walking in intervals, gradually increasing the running).
  • Pinky_Floyd 4 Sep 2012 20:06:55 7,700 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm doing c25k because I tried running a few months ago without decent shoes or a decent training program. Upshot is that I got shin splints and nearly wrecked my knees by thinking I was 20 and overdoing it. I'm not, I'm 40. Took a 6 week rest to let everything heal.

So am on week 4 day 1 but I reckon I still have shin splints. Not as severe as originally and am following the plan to the letter. How can I mitigate these things and break through into pain free running?
  • Lamb 4 Sep 2012 20:21:51 474 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

Crawl before you walk, same with running. Do some distance walking then add some jogging as your body adapts with time you will feel more comfortable and confident to do more.

Decent running shoes would be Asics Gel.
  • Pinky_Floyd 4 Sep 2012 20:27:16 7,700 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lamb wrote:
    @Pinky_Floyd

Crawl before you walk, same with running. Do some distance walking then add some jogging as your body adapts with time you will feel more comfortable and confident to do more.

Decent running shoes would be Asics Gel.
    Thoae are the shoes I have and the c25k plan intersperses short periods of running with walking. I think its my age :(
  • Lamb 4 Sep 2012 20:43:02 474 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

There are people in their mid sixties still running. Your body will only do what it knows how to do.

Couch to 5K in 9 weeks?! Erm no. Try a year and a half to allow your body to undergo the changes it needs. Otherwise you might as well try driving a horse & carriage with only one wheel. :D
  • mikew1985 4 Sep 2012 20:48:38 12,672 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't mean to be an arse but 9 weeks is ample time for anyone to work up to 5k, definitely a 40 year old man.

Unless we're talking severely overweight or debilitating existing injuries.

A mate of mine swears by olive oil to help shin splints, sounds rubbish to me, but maybe worth a try.
  • mrpon 4 Sep 2012 20:52:17 28,768 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A year and a half :D hilarious.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• THFourteen 4 Sep 2012 21:03:01 33,210 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do something else until your shin splints heal properly like swimming?

oh and I agree with the above posts about the year and a half. 10 weeks should be enough to get round a 5km, you don't even have to run the whole way.

Edited by THFourteen at 21:03:55 04-09-2012
  • Lamb 4 Sep 2012 21:06:11 474 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mikew1985

It depends on your waist size and what you have been doing. Two months and one week is not enough time for most people who have been sedentary and have grown a pooch or two in the last decade.

First thing the weight slows you down, your muscles don't work, your circulation is bad, your breathing is difficult. You got to move and adapt and that takes time the worse off you are. 18 months I mentioned prior might be too soon for some.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=treating+shin+splints&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • Page

of 35 First / Last