Running Page 21

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• guts 19 Jan 2012 22:41:59 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I do it outdoors (fnar fnar). I have a nice little street circuit I do that is about 1.7 miles, and when the weather improves and the evenings get lighter I can start going round the local golf course/common. I am using endmondo to track my progress which also suggests routes for various activities which I am aiming for when I get to that level. I am also keeping a diary as endmondo posts direct to facebook, and I also set up a tumblr account so that I could 'blog' about it aswell.
    Endmondo page
    Facebook page

Edited by guts at 22:48:53 19-01-2012

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Vortex808 21 Jan 2012 16:00:30 6,567 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Back in from a run in the cold and showery weather for the first time in a few years. Hopefully, a corner has been turned.

Fairweather runner begone again!
  • guts 21 Jan 2012 18:30:28 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I done a session earlier and have found (over the last couple of outings) that obsessed of my upper legs (mainly front of thighs) aching, my shins hurt instead. Is this normal for moons or could I be doing it erong?

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• mal 21 Jan 2012 18:49:28 21,979 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Could be shin splints, which is a case of 'doing it erong', or it could just be that thighs get fairly well exercised by walking, but since running stresses the ankles and therefore the shins more. Shin splints feel quite different to muscle aches though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• guts 21 Jan 2012 18:54:48 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doesn't feel muscular. It doesn't last ling though. Finished my session a couple of hours ago and barely an ache now.

• mal 21 Jan 2012 19:22:22 21,979 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fair enough, doesn't sound like shin splints to me. To be honest, if it doesn't ache at least the next day, you're not doing it right.

• guts 22 Jan 2012 19:51:19 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll be aching during week 4. I have only done the first two weeks of the couch to 5k thing and the last week was run/jog/wobble 1.5 mins, walk 2 mins and repeat for about 20 mins. Week three is also a bit of an easy going one. I assume it is to ease me into the longer jog/run segments that I start in week 4. I am literally going from not having run properly for 20yrs to hitting the road. I did try a couple of years ago but went too much too soon and was literally jogging/running untill I was faint, then walking untill my breathing settled and then go for faint agian. Didn't do me much good and didn't stick with that programme very long.

• mal 22 Jan 2012 21:15:17 21,979 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I started running when I ran about 400m up a hill to catch a bus and got a sort of metallic taste in my mouth, which I understand is a symptom of your heart complaining, so I dug out my shorts and sacrificed a pair of trainers, and started running. I don't remember what distance I started out at, but after a few runs I started measuring my route, and a few months after that I bought a watch and I was only doing max 5k then, so it took me a few months to get to that distance. The next 5k were a lot easier though :)

• Deleted user 22 January 2012 21:26:05
    guts wrote:
    I'll be aching during week 4. I have only done the first two weeks of the couch to 5k thing and the last week was run/jog/wobble 1.5 mins, walk 2 mins and repeat for about 20 mins. Week three is also a bit of an easy going one. I assume it is to ease me into the longer jog/run segments that I start in week 4. I am literally going from not having run properly for 20yrs to hitting the road. I did try a couple of years ago but went too much too soon and was literally jogging/running untill I was faint, then walking untill my breathing settled and then go for faint agian. Didn't do me much good and didn't stick with that programme very long.
    Stick with it. I had never run in my life, was 16.5 stone and 37 yo when I started the couch to 5k. Literally found it hard to run for 90 seconds. 8 months later I was running 5 miles 3 times a week, sometimes 10, and once 13. So it does work if you follow it. :)
  • Deleted user 22 January 2012 21:40:12
    Tried going for a run today but knees are fucked from football the other day. I really need to do some exercises to strengthen them it is ridiculous how shit they are.
  • guts 22 Jan 2012 21:51:58 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Greggywocky... I was 223lbs and 36yo when I started. Still 36yo but lost 4lbs so far (have been eating less crap too). Already finding the outings less tiring so always use my last jog segment to just go for it until I'm jogging at walking pace instead of a set time.
    Also, I know it's not aimed specifically at me, but.... [group hug] I can really feel the motivation in here, and it is helping me. Thanks.

Edited by guts at 21:52:27 22-01-2012

• Deleted user 22 January 2012 22:07:34
    If you have a smartphone it's available as an app. Handy as it tells when to stop/start etc. There's also a couch to 10k one too. And if you seriously keep going then I think the best running app is one called Kinetic, though a lot of people here use the Nike one I think.

The only mistake I made was getting a bit cocky after a while and doing too much. Got shin splints and bad knee and was out for a couple of months. Was possibly running incorrectly too. I bought a huge 900 page book written for professionals/endurance marathon runners etc called 'The Lore of Running'. Best way to run is to almost shuffle, keeping your feet as close to the ground as possible, so a lot of pros say.
  • mal 22 Jan 2012 22:35:41 21,979 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The book I bought said your heels should almost be hitting your backside, which is about as ridiculous. We weren't born to sit in front of the TV all day - just run how feels right to you.

The only 'technique' I know is buying the right shoes. That sorted out my shin splints.

• guts 23 Jan 2012 00:47:29 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I bought some nike trainers from sports direct. They say they are impact support or something but they weren't expensive, only about 25. I only use them for running in, as although they aren't ugly, they are not what I usually wear as 'casual' trainers.

• mal 23 Jan 2012 01:12:14 21,979 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheap shoes are probably best for people who have normal feet. The first shoes I ran in were nike air shoes, which wobbled about like running on bouncy castles. Simple cheap shoes with foam support in the heel were developed initially for running in, so are fine for most people, and actively better than more expensive shoes. Unfortunately it turns out I don't have normal feet, and have to spend a fortune on shoes that stop my arches collapsing, which may be why these days I spend far more time on my bike (in my old wobbly trainers) than I do out running.

• Kosmoz 23 Jan 2012 01:15:44 7,509 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The best shoes to run in are no shoes at all. Takes some practice but it is the best way.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• mal 23 Jan 2012 03:01:46 21,979 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, and the best surface to run on is soil which has some give in it. If you have to run on concrete you have to carry the give around with you.

• guts 23 Jan 2012 13:20:16 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm lucky as there are a few parks/open spaces near, and the endmondo app on my phone has pre set routes to try out for some of these areas so when it's lighter/dryer I will give them a go.

• Vortex808 8 Mar 2012 14:53:14 6,567 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shite. Got the first 10k of the year on the 17th and now I appear to have caught another uber-cold from our son.

Here was I hoping to run the route on sunday to remind myself how it was! I hope it doesn't hang around too long, so I can get a few shorter lunch time runs done next week instead.

Every little helps.... hopefully.
  • TheSaint 8 Mar 2012 14:56:06 13,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else doing the Silverstone half marathon on Sunday?
  • AccidentProne 8 Mar 2012 15:05:13 1,129 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got the Cambridge half the same day. Bit of a shame they clash as I really fancy doing Silverstone. Maybe next year.
  • TheSaint 8 Mar 2012 15:11:44 13,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, Cambridge, Bath and Silverstone all on the same day this year. I fancied doing all of them.
  • SaucyGeoff 8 Mar 2012 15:22:25 2,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can add Grantham to that list. Tried to enter Silverstone but it was full. So running Grantham instead.
  • Rhythm 8 Mar 2012 15:22:30 2,375 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Stupid back injury threw out my progress a little but so far I've done 19 10km runs out of a target of 133 for the year. Slow going but I'll get there, especially when summer hits and I can do more than 3 a week
  • AccidentProne 8 Mar 2012 15:27:03 1,129 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ooh, few of us running the same day then, albeit in different places. What time you all aiming for? Hoping for sub 1:40 myself, previous best is 1:41 so maybe not too unrealstic.
  • SaucyGeoff 8 Mar 2012 15:38:52 2,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sub 1h 40 would be seriously impressive. I'm in no shape to run anywhere near my best, so I'm going to run with my Dad, see if I can help him get a sub 2 hour time. He'd be dead chuffed if he does it.
  • TheSaint 8 Mar 2012 15:48:03 13,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be happy with sub 1:50 but I've heard it can be pretty windy round there. I managed 1:56 in Brighton for my first half of the year the other week so being realistic I just want to beat that.
  • JuanKerr 8 Mar 2012 17:14:23 36,094 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    I've got the Cambridge half the same day. Bit of a shame they clash as I really fancy doing Silverstone. Maybe next year.
    I'm doing the Cambridge half as well :)
  • SaucyGeoff 8 Mar 2012 17:29:07 2,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    AccidentProne wrote:
    I'm doing the Cambridge half as well :)
    Oof, straight up EG head to head!
  • JuanKerr 9 Mar 2012 13:57:53 36,094 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Indeed! Make sure you post your time on here.
  • Page

of 35 First / Last