• Angel_Treats 24 Mar 2006 16:06:04 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bump!

So did you take up running in the end?
  • The_Aardvark 24 Mar 2006 16:11:21 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you are still looking for shoes try Runners Needs on Parkway in Camden. They'll watch your running style and then find you what you need (I over-pronate apparently).
  • Leela 24 Mar 2006 16:26:54 485 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    enter yourself for a charty 5K run, I find that helps my motivation (which is usually about 0).

I can recommend the Jog Shop in Brighton for running shoes. I got a pair of New Balance ones for about 60. Also ditto with the Asics. My mother in law is just taking up running again and we went to sports World (shock!) to see what trainers they had and they were actually very knowledgable about running shoes and recommended Asics. (as well as dirt cheap for trackie bottoms, etc. I got trackie bottoms, crop top, sweat band, and sweater for 13!!! )

• Angel_Treats 24 Mar 2006 16:36:18 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd recommend Runners Need too. Lovely people :) And it's a bit of a novelty to have your feet videoed so they can see if you're over pronating or whatever when you run.

Edit: I'm doing Race for Life in June, and then hopefully the Great South Run in October. Have to get my sponsorship website thingy sorted out :) I can't wait. I haven't taken part in a race before at all so I'm really looking forward to it.

Edited by Angel_Treats at 16:37:55 24-03-2006
  • Leela 24 Mar 2006 16:41:13 485 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm doing Race for Life in May, it's my third year. It's great fun, a really good atmosphere. I'm really rubbish at running and have low motivation so I don't run nearly as much as I could/should but doing the races (well, it's not really a race) makes you find heaps more energy than you normally have so you dig a lot deeper.
    plus you get a cool goody bag at the end, given out by firemen ;)

Do you run a lot A_T?
  • Angel_Treats 24 Mar 2006 16:54:12 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I run almost every day, only for 3 or 4 miles at a time usually. Sometimes I run twice a day. It's the best way I've found for dealing with stress! I piled on a lot of weight over the last two years (back injury flared up, had to give up aerobics etc, didn't eat less to compensate blah blah!) and now that I've got rid of a lot of it again, I've been building my fitness back up again, hence the short runs. But I'd love to do the London marathon one day!
  • Leela 24 Mar 2006 17:07:08 485 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow! I run about once a week, for about 15 minutes! you must be pretty fit then. I deal with stress by eating!
  • mentat 24 Mar 2006 19:55:13 5,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What she didn't mention, is that A_T has bullied me into doing the GSR with her too...

*shudder*
  • Angel_Treats 24 Mar 2006 20:02:41 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Muhahah!

Not only that, but I spend half the day tell him, via email, that running is the answer to all life's problems.

I don't think he believes me...
  • mentat 24 Mar 2006 20:06:29 5,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Muhahah!

Not only that, but I spend half the day tell him, via email, that running is the answer to all life's problems.

I don't think he believes me...
    Ya think?!

:D
  • Murbal 9 May 2006 13:41:12 22,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just skipped another potential lunch time running session. Of late, my motivation has gone out the window - I've only run once or twice in the last couple of weeks, total of less than 10 miles.

Feel crap for it now too, and I'm on holiday next week for 2 weeks. Lovely, but unlikely to run then either.

I feel bad, but can't get moving. I'm going to pot :-(
  • Angel_Treats 9 May 2006 13:56:45 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tell you what - you can have my knee injury. Then at least you'll have an excuse not to run. And I'll get rid of the injury so I'll be able to run as much as I like :)

I did a 5k the other day after not having run for a week due to the injury. I'd lost so much fitness in just a week, it almost killed me (although I did start off far too fast and burnt out after a mile and a half). Ended up finishing in 29:54 and have been beating myself up ever since - oh, and it fuxxored me knee even further and resulted in a visit to the physio.

I should take up gaming again, that never used to result in injuries. At least not to me, although there was the time I flung a Wavebird in anger and it hit Rutty on the lip...
  • Murbal 9 May 2006 14:10:28 22,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now I really feel guilty!

Apart from a touch of the runners knee, I've been injury free for a record length of time at the moment - despite having gone back to playing five-a-side with work colleagues.
  • pistol 9 May 2006 14:11:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Already been said before but it can't be stressed enough. Build up slowly and the results will eventually come. Don't try to run too fast or too far to start with. Gradually build up. If your knees can hack it it's a great way to lose weight. Probably one of the best aerobic exercises around. I always found with swimming that my heart rate never got high enough.
  • Angel_Treats 9 May 2006 14:15:48 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agreed about the swimming. I like swimming, but I find it quite relaxing, not strenuous. I've been replacing running with going to spinning classes while I'm injured (the physio has okayed it!) and while I enjoy it, it's not the same as running. I get no sense of achievement from it, even if I do two classes back to back, and it doesn't have running's stress busting properties.

I was thinking of doing the Dublin marathon in October but I'd need to start training proper at the end of June, and at this point I just don't think my fitness will be up to marathon training if I have to take much more time out :(
  • tannerd 8 Oct 2006 21:28:33 2,691 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did the Nike Run London 10K today. Think my time was about 1 hour 25mins, which put me towards the back. Not a good time for most, but I'm dead chuffed with it! I only ran 5km for the first time last week, so completing it was an acheivment.

Did you run the great north run last weekend A_T? I think I remember you mentioning it a while back.
  • Angel_Treats 8 Oct 2006 22:12:50 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah. Friend of mine did it though.

I did the Southend 10k today which was nice cos it was all along the seaside and we had chips afterwards :-) the organisation was terrible in that no one is really sure where the start and finish actually were but my time was somewhere between 55:30 and 57:18 ish. Could have done better had my knee not started playing up again during the last km and I had to walk for a minute or two to stretch it out. Really want to get sub 50 but that will require a lot more training and I have to get the gammy knee sorted out once and for all.

Well done on finishing the 10k, that's really good going if you only ran 5k last week for the first time! You going to keep up the running then?

There is another 10k I might do at the end of the month, in Regent's Park, the Rainforest Foundation Taut 10k - perhaps you fancy having a go at that as well :-)
  • tannerd 8 Oct 2006 22:26:51 2,691 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm getting married in 3 weeks, so I'm having a rest from competitive running for a little while. Going to build on the training I've done so far though, with the aim of doing a sub 1 hour next year. I'm still run - walking at the moment, and my pace even when I'm running is quite slow. So I've got to build up my stamina a bit more I think.

Sub 50 takes a bit of work, doesn't it? A friend who was running today (and did the London marathon earlier in the year) wanted sub 50 but found it tough going. It was quite warm out there, and I think he got stuck in the crowd.
  • Angel_Treats 8 Oct 2006 22:34:39 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sub 50 shouldn't be *that* hard to achieve, provided I can keep up 8 min miles over the distance - I'm alright over shorter distances but need to build on my stamina and do more speedwork but the problem is that every time I pick up my speed, my stupid knee starts complaining. Sub 45 or sub 40 is more of a challenge. A lot of the guys in our club are sub 40 10kers (some have done sub 3 marathons) and it can be rather hard to not feel totally rubbish and inadequate when you're talking about 55 odd minutes and they're talking about 35. They are all lovely though :-)

If you're enjoying the running, you really should join a running club. Your running will improve a LOT, guaranteed, plus you get discounts for race entries and in running shops for trainers etc.

I have my entry in for next year's London Marathon and will probably find out in the first week of December whether I got in, so keep your fingers crossed for me!
  • matrim83 3 Feb 2007 15:31:52 5,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bump. So any of the runners still around?

I am about to start from next week and all that advice about good shoes is well taken. Other than that a few questions -

1 The best time to run for me is at night. Stupid question but purely from a physical point of view is it as good as running in the mornings?

2 How much should I begin with? I mean measured in time. I am thinking about twenty minutes a day.

3 I figure about five times a week is good enough. Is that right? Or should it be more or less.

Thats pretty much all I need to know ATM.

Valar morghulis.

• Errol 3 Feb 2007 15:41:23 12,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    matrim83 wrote:

1 The best time to run for me is at night. Stupid question but purely from a physical point of view is it as good as running in the mornings?

2 How much should I begin with? I mean measured in time. I am thinking about twenty minutes a day.

3 I figure about five times a week is good enough. Is that right? Or should it be more or less.

Thats pretty much all I need to know ATM.

1. You might have trouble sleeping if you go out too late at night. Otherwise, it makes little difference in the long term.

2. To begin with, 10 minutes is enough. Build up slowly until you can do 20-25.

3. 3 times a week is enough, provided you are eating healthily etc.

I would also add that resistance training will have a huge impact on your overall health if done in conjunction with the cardiovascular work. Muscle burns 3 times as many calories as fat, so a muscular person will burn far more just sitting on a sofa doing nothing !
  • matrim83 3 Feb 2007 15:51:14 5,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks. Heres hoping I can keep at it for more than a few weeks.

Valar morghulis.

• craigy Staff 18 Mar 2009 12:08:11 7,593 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man, this spring sunshine has given me a sudden compulsion to run. It's brilliant.
  • Murbal 18 Mar 2009 12:09:10 22,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Glorious isn't it craigy. I'm off out at half past for a few miles, rude not to in this weather!
  • Youthist 18 Mar 2009 12:09:14 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I just did Brighton Half Marathon a few weeks back. 1hr34mins - PB - Nice! Was a great course too.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• faux_carnation 18 Mar 2009 12:09:17 9,244 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow. Zombie thread.

I managed about a month. It's really tedious.
  • Youthist 18 Mar 2009 12:10:24 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For training and keeping the tedium down, I take a personal radio with me on Saturdays 3pm, kick off time, then listen to the football. It really helps keep the tedium down.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• craigy Staff 18 Mar 2009 12:12:56 7,593 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Youthist: Nice time! What was the route like? Am I right in thinking that it takes you out of town, up near Devil's Dyke?
  • Murbal 18 Mar 2009 12:21:41 22,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OOh, South Downs, lovely.
  • Page

of 35 First / Last