Running Page 67

• Page

of 68 First / Last

• Deleted user 9 April 2017 14:40:42
    3:25 for Brighton Marathon. Not great but not bad for an aging Big Unit.

Lost both my pinkie toenails by around mile 11. That's gonna smart in the morning
  • elstoof 9 Apr 2017 15:04:34 18,473 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Were they shellac
  • President_Weasel 9 Apr 2017 15:18:43 12,339 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I couldn't run a marathon to save my life. I'm doing a marathon hike this year, that'll have to do.
  • AccidentProne 9 Apr 2017 16:48:36 1,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well done PES. I'd love to be able to get around a marathon in that sort of time. What sort of mileage were you doing in training?

Really struggled with the heat today, was totally fucked for the last few miles. Actually started shivering at the end, which was probably dehydration or something. Only positive I'll take from it was that I didn't get cramp, which usually happens after twenty miles if it's hot.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Apr 2017 16:53:50 31,996 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good work PES, that's a great time mate! And accident, were you running it too?

Good effort. Half marathon is my limit. I'm training for a tough mudder just now but have injured my IT band. Physio has me doing stretches etc and only running every second day, minute longer each time. Up to 10 minutes now...
  • AccidentProne 9 Apr 2017 16:56:21 1,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, mine was just a training run. Race isn't for another three weeks. Just starting on my taper after today.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2017 17:01:03
    I was really shit at training this time, I have a decent level of base fitness so cardio is rarely the problem. I run about 10k at least 5 days per week, only the last few weeks I've ramped up but I hadn't done any more than 12 miles in one go.

That's probably why my shoes removed my toenails. But they only hurt when nobody was looking
  • Deleted user 9 April 2017 17:03:25
    Think that'll be my only marathon this year anyway, I have had moving to do lately and only got a flight here a few days back (I didn't just come here for the marathon!), and I need to focus on other stuff
  • AccidentProne 9 Apr 2017 17:07:20 1,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blimey, that's even more impressive then!

When I plug my recent 5k to HM times into a race predictor, they generally reckon I should get around in about that sort of time, but mine are always around the four hour mark. Maybe I should try running less...
  • Deleted user 9 April 2017 17:10:36
    I really wouldn't recommend it, I'm going to suffer badly for the next week!

Just done a whole 15" pizza on my own as well, I'm going to be fucking wrecked
  • elstoof 9 Apr 2017 17:10:42 18,473 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You came back for those leaving drinks PES?
  • Deleted user 9 April 2017 17:37:35
    #awks
  • elstoof 9 Apr 2017 17:47:20 18,473 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cold
  • freddymercurystwin 10 Apr 2017 11:03:51 1,221 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I’m doing my first half marathon in Plymouth in two weeks’ time, as I’ve never run in any kind of event before how does the whole leaving a bag/rucksack with your gear somewhere happen generally? I will be on my own so cannot ask anyone to look after my stuff, I will have a rucksack with clothes, car keys phone etc, I know they will have a devoted area and there will no doubt be a disclaimer saying it’s my risk to leave anything there but typically are these facilities secureish? Do you get a get locker or hand your bag in and they give you a ticket maybe? I have no idea – clearly. I suppose I could leave everything in the car and just carry my car key with me and may do that anyway to avoid any hassles/queuing.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Apr 2017 11:14:29 9,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin The one I ran in a few weeks back they just had a bag holding area. When you register you will probably be given a label for your bag with your competitor number on it. Attach it to your bag and drop it off at the holding area and get it after.

If the start line is out in the middle of nowhere like the aviemore one I ran last year they had trucks to pick up bags and take them to the finish line.

Basically don't worry. There will be a clear place for your bag but you may wish to double check with the organiser, there hsould be a section on a website / info pack or whatever.

Security should be fine as there will be hundreds of bags and either folk will be there keeping an eye on them or the location will be secure. It's in an organisers best interests to ensure the bags are safe. Won't do their event any good next year if folk have stuff pilfered.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Apr 2017 11:16:07 9,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    3:25 for Brighton Marathon. Not great but not bad for an aging Big Unit.

Lost both my pinkie toenails by around mile 11. That's gonna smart in the morning
    That's a bloody impressive time. Well done.

I'm still toying with entering that Loch Ness Marathon later this year but as I can't fucking run just now my confidence is at rock bottom.
  • freddymercurystwin 10 Apr 2017 11:32:58 1,221 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Thanks :)
  • freddymercurystwin 18 Apr 2017 14:13:13 1,221 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When do you lot replace your running shoes?
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Apr 2017 14:19:54 31,996 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just bought a new pair of running shoes after went to physio and he said they were looking pretty knackered. Tbh I've no idea how often you're meant to change them. If the padding in the heel is still decent and there's no cracks in the sole then you're probably ok.

How long have you had them and how many miles roughly have you put into them?
  • wuntyphyve 18 Apr 2017 14:20:40 9,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I replaced mine quicksmart after realising they had done about 700 miles but seemingly between 300-500 is the recommendation.
  • freddymercurystwin 18 Apr 2017 14:33:04 1,221 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz Had them since about July and put about 500miles into them. I've done a about 260 miles this year as I've managed to maintain my running more regularly this year. They feel fine I think though the (very thin in my opinion) rubber on the foam soles is wearing out on the outer sides especially the outer heel bits and the foam bit is starting to show through.
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Apr 2017 14:40:54 31,996 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin yeah I reckon you should look at changing them in the near future. The soles was the first thing the physio checked when I went and he talked about them cracking etc being a sign to change up.
  • wuntyphyve 18 Apr 2017 14:46:52 9,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Apparently also as the compounds for support break down inside the shoe there is more movement as you run which could lead to injury. So it's not always visible.

Least that's what I was told the other week.

Then again I'm blaming my running shoes for everything at the minute...
  • freddymercurystwin 18 Apr 2017 15:02:17 1,221 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OK thanks guys, I've been looking out for a pair of (identical) replacements (if I can find them at a good online price) as with maybe one decent running shop within 100 miles I'm loathe to take a gamble on a different pair that won't work for me.
  • JoeBlade 12 Jun 2017 22:36:12 4,090 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmm, thought I already posted this but it doesn't show up for some reason. Probably my browser being weird.

Anyhow, got back into running recently after a long period of inactivity (not just running but not much of anything)
    It's... quite painful. My muscles clearly need to strengthen, my joints need to adapt to the movement again, even my back, neck and shoulders hurt.

Oh well, I've done this sufficient times to know it's just a matter of pulling through the first few weeks, it should ramp up quickly after that. The hurt though, ugh.

/groans and moans some more
  • Scurrminator 12 Jun 2017 22:49:46 9,023 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did the Warwick Castle to Kenilworth castle 10k on Sunday. Got 48:18 - a PB and my first sub 50 10k. I didn't do any running training; I reckon I could get to sub 45 if I did put some effort it but it was a tough run; lot of hills.
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Jun 2017 22:53:49 31,996 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doing a Tough Mudder on Sunday with a bunch of friends. Really looking forward to it. Built up to 8 miles in training, aiming to do more but injured my knee and was out for a month. Hoping that with the queues for each obstacle I should catch my breath for the remaining five miles.

Anyone done a TM before?
  • freddymercurystwin 24 Sep 2017 07:26:21 1,221 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have Killerton Half today, my whole day before prep went out the window yesterday, went to a wedding last night (shit buffet food, no drinking though) but some dancing so calfs a bit achy and I have shin splints too (I think), really a bit unprepared for this one. Not really looking forward to this one.
  • wuntyphyve 24 Sep 2017 08:51:39 9,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin best of luck. Just start off slowly and comfortably. I'm sure once you settle into it you'll do great.
  • wuntyphyve 24 Sep 2017 08:53:25 9,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm a bit gutted as it's the Loch Ness marathon today. It was always my intention to run it but injuries earlier in the year meant I wasn't confident enough to enter. By the time I realised I was okay to do it there were no spaces left ☹️
  • Page

of 68 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.