Running Page 66

• Page

of 68 First / Last

• wuntyphyve 14 Mar 2017 09:33:06 9,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @AccidentProne I've heard there's a bit of a hill...

Just need to work out whats causing my ankle pain now ha ha. Seems like every week there's a new pain. Not quite sure what I did on Sunday to cause it. It's around my Achilles tendon. Would that be a hill thing? I have a feeling I was trying to run too quickly up the hilly bits.
  • wuntyphyve 14 Mar 2017 09:34:25 9,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Plus - nipple chafing is not cool. I was totally vaselined up Sunday but because of the rain my top was rubbing a bit. Now they are well tender...
  • elstoof 14 Mar 2017 09:35:49 18,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Brighton Marathon in a couple weeks. Probably ought to start running longer distances, have only been doing sprints for the past six months
    Just sprint the whole thing, you'll be done in time for lunch
  • TheJackKetch 14 Mar 2017 09:37:37 148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I get that Achilles pain too! No idea what it is though...I was wondering if it was Achilles tendonitis but it never seems to last for that long. Does yours go away too?
  • wuntyphyve 14 Mar 2017 09:47:21 9,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TheJackKetch Hope so! Never had it before. Didn't really do anything out the ordinary on Sunday and I've run up bigger hills so not really sure what I've done :(

I was going for a run tonight but I'll maybe lay off it the rest of the week til the pain is definitely gone.
  • TheJackKetch 14 Mar 2017 09:56:59 148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyphyve When I first got it I iced it and kept my leg elevated, that seemed to work really well.
    I'm not sure how I first got it either, probably not warming up properly.
  • wuntyphyve 14 Mar 2017 10:02:27 9,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah could be that too actually. I was too nervous / self conscious before the race and think I just stood there like a pleb until I started running.

I'll pop some ice on it tonight.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2017 13:05:16
    I got Achilles pain when I started running longer distances about ten years ago, I switched to running shoes which promote a more mid foot strike (I was a cunt of a heel striker) and that changed overnight...To shin pain.

But that was because I was so used to running on my heels and after a few weeks of conditioning it went away. YMMV
  • Zeffi 28 Mar 2017 09:58:57 938 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Arse chafing is a thing then :(
  • askew 28 Mar 2017 10:13:10 15,651 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Went out last night for the first time in a couple of years - due to pain in my knee - and just over halfway it got me again. FFS. Just to the left of my kneecap on my right leg. I thought I'd been doing work to help equalise whatever imbalance it is, but evidently not :/
  • PSfourskin 28 Mar 2017 13:03:18 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am running the Lincoln 10K on Sunday.

I did it in 50:03 last year and would love to beat the 50 mins mark but I've been really lazy with the training this year and think I'm going to be slower.

Anybody got last minute tips to give me that extra energy boost on Sunday!
  • TheBlackDog 28 Mar 2017 13:18:35 1,053 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zeffi yup, and once is enough. I always Vaseline front and back bottom before a long run now, plus wear seamless running boxers whatever distance.

I get cold bits in winter so I bought some really expensive thick boxers by Helly Hansen, who I normally rate. Stupid thick seams cut me up real good. Funnily enough, Amazon didn't want me to return them (or pictures for proof) but they were kind enough to refund me. Now I just chuck on an extra pair of lycra running shorts for winter running.
  • wuntyphyve 28 Mar 2017 13:18:55 9,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @askew How frustrating. I feel your pain (pun intended).

With my knee after I took a few weeks off I got a support and wore that during and after some really slow runs. Took a month or so but was back up to running (reaonably) normally again and it hasn't really bothered me since.

This bloody achilles tendon on the other hand... Went for a 10 mile hill run last night and limping like fuck today :(
  • wuntyphyve 28 Mar 2017 13:19:48 9,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I swear by my under armour for running now. The arse is the only place I haven't had chafing yet!
  • TheBlackDog 28 Mar 2017 13:27:27 1,053 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @askew is the knee pain really painful or more of a twinge? I don't know what distance you ran before the pain appeared or what other exercise you've been doing to adapt your knees (and everything else) to running but it might be that you just need to start running again a bit easier and build up pace and/or distance.

I get a bit of pain in my knee, hip and Achilles from time to time but I find the pain disappears after a while (during the run). Obviously it's not mega painful or I'd stop or walk.

Could depend on your running form and/or shoes too.
  • TheBlackDog 28 Mar 2017 13:33:40 1,053 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PSfourskin apart from run faster, I would have thought that the only thing you can do is pace the race properly. You should at least have an idea on what pace you can sustain for 10k and keep an eye on your actual pace using a running watch - in the past I've tended to blow up in the second half because I start the race feeling great (usually because I've tapered before a race) and run way too fast. Of course, you don't want to go out too slow and end with lots of gas in the tank so hopefully you know your pace and you can stick to it.
  • wuntyphyve 2 Apr 2017 20:19:02 9,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So my left knee just went now. Shit. Having a lovely run this morning as well then agonising pain around mile 10. So cut the run short.

Looked on my app to see how many miles my trainers have done. Nearly 600. Could they be the issue? I hope not as I'm skint!
  • TheBlackDog 2 Apr 2017 22:33:56 1,053 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Sorry to hear that Wunty.

Unless your trainers have some special orthotic shit in them to correct your gait then I wouldn't have thought the trainers would cause that. I suppose the cushioning might be less effective past a certain point but then a lot of people buy shoes with less cushioning as a feature. So I doubt it unless the worn trainers were causing you to run awkwardly.
  • mothercruncher 2 Apr 2017 22:41:48 14,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Went out last night for the first time in a couple of years - due to pain in my knee - and just over halfway it got me again. FFS. Just to the left of my kneecap on my right leg. I thought I'd been doing work to help equalise whatever imbalance it is, but evidently not :/
    Don't know if your local NHS offers the same as mine, but, I self referred online to get an appointment with a physio and in two weeks flat I'd had said appointment and got a diagnosis of an MCL strain, fixable via some hip exercises and arch supports. Already able to run with virtually no pain and greatly reduced reactions afterwards.
    Similar area to you incidentally.
  • Mfolf 2 Apr 2017 22:43:13 1,540 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I do same stretches but some days my legs feel like anchors and I hate every second of the run while other days I feel great. Anything obv to try/change?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Apr 2017 23:10:39 4,882 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I've done something to my knee too.

Right knee and the pain feels like it's a straight line running vertically from about an inch above through my knee (to the right of my knee cap) to about two inches below. It's not constant but more like a shot of pain stinging through when I stand up straight enough to lock my knee straight.

Running routine is four miles three times a week uphill and back down along a straight road. Plus indoor five aside on a hardwood court.

It's such an odd sensation
  • macmurphy 2 Apr 2017 23:33:59 2,574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Pretty sure I've posted this before In here but anyway. Your injury sounds like iliotibial band syndrome. I had what sounds like identical pain, left side of right knee. Was getting small tears in medial meniscus.

Went to a phsyio and apparently a lot of it comes from tightness in lower back. She gave me a load of random exercises that made no sense and I thought were horseshit but I was right as rain about four weeks later.

The long and the short of it is that physio's would have been burnt as witches in the Middle Ages - a lot are great at identifying and remedying complex bio mechanical issues.

If you can afford one please go see them - they might tell you you're proper fucked but they might also be able to give you a simple physiotherapy routine to fix you.
  • President_Weasel 2 Apr 2017 23:58:33 12,339 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What should I do to warm up before a jog? Sources I used said "don't do stretches just do a brisk walk for a few minutes" but I'm a martyr to shin pain.
  • PSfourskin 4 Apr 2017 12:03:18 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TheBlackDog Cheers for the advise. Ended up doing it in 48:32 so was very happy with my performance.
  • MadCaddy13 4 Apr 2017 12:25:01 2,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @macmurphy I used to suffer from iliotibial band syndrome in my late teens to mid twenties (now 31). I had pain in my hip region constantly and had to take pain killers every day. Thankfully after 7 years it subsided and is pretty much gone (still can't properly bend my leg so my knee is over my other hip without a lot of pain).

Now I have it in my knee when I run. Well up until I rested it for a few weeks. Before I used a compression I could barely run for five minutes. With compression it rose up to 20 - 25 (pain still there but manageable). Now it's all good though, running around 30-40 mins pain free. still have a knee compression though just in case. I only use a treadmill for now though.

So at the end of the long post - it just needs rest!
  • macmurphy 4 Apr 2017 12:42:32 2,574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    What should I do to warm up before a jog? Sources I used said "don't do stretches just do a brisk walk for a few minutes" but I'm a martyr to shin pain.
    It's all I ever do really, sometimes I don't warm up at all I just start slow. Shin pain could be shin splints - blokes I knew swore by the soleus stretch which is slightly different to a calf stretch.

Chronic problems seem to be more related to long term biomechanical instability and inflexibility - I think you need a long term plan of stretching immediately after your run and at home to try and ease your shin pains, I'm not sure your warm-up routine is the most important thing.

I quite like 'Becoming a supple leopard' by Kelly Starrett. If you take nothing else away from that book it's that you don't see leopards warming up before a kill. They might move really slowly and then burst into an explosive run. Humans are the same - you don't see amazonian tribes warming up before a hunt. I'm not saying that all warm-ups are bollocks, but the idea that if we don't warm up we'll automatically get injured I think is a fallacy. I think a lot of modern injuries and problems come from more sedentary lifestyles that cause body imbalances, and I think these are best addressed by stretching and flexibility routines after workouts.

I do like a warm-up before football and anything when I'm going to be twisting and turning and stretching joints, but these are just slow time movements (walking, jogging, running backwards, sidesteps, knee bends) to warm myself up. For a run I normally just start slow and get faster when my muscles are warm.

Edited by macmurphy at 12:45:42 04-04-2017
  • macmurphy 4 Apr 2017 12:45:00 2,574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MadCaddy13

I know some injuries just need time. Tennis elbow, some bad cases of shin splints. I rested my knee to heal the tears, at the same time a good stretching routine stopped the problem reoccurring.

I don't think every problem demands it, but some issues are likely to just keep happening after rest periods unless you address the underlying cause.
  • TheBlackDog 4 Apr 2017 13:18:26 1,053 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @President_Weasel For warming up before run, just walk or start slowly. I don't like stretching from cold. Shin splints are commonly caused by too much too fast or running sporadically but of course aren't the only cause - the good news is that there are plenty of ideas out there for treatments/prevention.
  • President_Weasel 4 Apr 2017 13:44:20 12,339 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks folks.
  • wuntyphyve 4 Apr 2017 14:49:52 9,615 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TheBlackDog Thanks as always for your help btw. Just picked up my new Vapor 4's and will be out giving them a wee test later. Knee feels good today after having my compression support on all day yesterday and doing regular stretches. Just this achilles tendon to keep an eye on but I'm just going to take it easy.

Glad I went into the running shop to try them on though as the new ones are half a size out compared to my old ones. I'm up to an 11 from a 10.5. They must have added shit into them that affects the sizing. Had about five different pairs on including some more expensive ones but these felt absolutely perfect on.

I'm so itchy to get out for a massive run but going to ditch long distance for a couple of weeks.
  • Page

of 68 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.