Running Page 35

• Page

of 49 First / Last

• Scurrminator 13 Apr 2014 14:22:16 8,490 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Go to a running shop and see if they will do gait analysis for you. Glad I did!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• altitude2k 13 Apr 2014 16:06:48 4,968 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From experience, try and find smaller independent running shops to do the analysis, too. I've been to some who have done the full thing with the cameras, treadmill, heat mat etc. but the recommended shoes were ridiculously priced, and not particularly comfortable.

The best shoes I have been recommended were by a small running shop who just watched me walk and run out the front of the shop. They were reasonably priced and even gave me a discount.
  • iancognito 13 Apr 2014 16:08:44 1,997 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JD Sports? :D
  • Scurrminator 13 Apr 2014 16:16:43 8,490 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just boo booed my leg somehow.
    Went out for a 12 - 15k run and my right leg just seized up. Bloody hurts to walk on it :-( can't quite tell where the pain is at the minute ...
    Anyway it was a long walk home (got to 11k).

• altitude2k 13 Apr 2014 16:26:14 4,968 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    iancognito wrote:
    JD Sports? :D
    Sports Direct, son. :)
  • Scurrminator 13 Apr 2014 16:49:57 8,490 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems as though it's my knee!

• AccidentProne 13 Apr 2014 18:41:13 1,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any closer to pinpointing whereabouts on your knee?

I thought I'd knackered my knee after overdoing it on some hill sprint sessions a while back, turns out it was my ITB. Sorted it by taking it a bit easier on the hills for a while, along with a bit of foam roller torture. Foam roller heals all.
  • altitude2k 13 Apr 2014 19:04:51 4,968 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is the pain on impact or lift? Is it worse uphill or downhill?
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Jan 2015 22:47:40 9,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Starting a 10 week training tomorrow for my first half marathon in March.

With the advent of fitness bands and smart watches, is there anything out there that doesn't cost a bomb but I could wear on my wrist (or put in pocket) that has GPS so I know how far I have run and for how long?

I seriously know nothing about these things. My HTC one is too bulky to run with.

Any advice or recommendations would be great!
  • FWB 11 Jan 2015 22:50:41 46,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Runtastic is the free App Of the Day today on Android. No idea if good. Really can't put your phone in a pocket?

Edited by FWB at 22:51:20 11-01-2015
  • retro74 11 Jan 2015 22:55:21 584 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I use my iPhone with an app called Runkeeper and one of those arm strap things

I was reading a review of the Jawbone Up earlier as they are on offer at 39.99, sounds like they don't last long though

You could get a Garmin watch but they are not cheap
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Jan 2015 22:57:04 9,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FWB An HTC One is a bit bigger than I would ideally like to run with. I think. Thanks for the tip tho, will grab it.
  • Saucy 11 Jan 2015 22:58:46 2,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've got a Garmin FR10 which does everything I need pretty well. Got it for 60 back end of last year. Seem to be about 75 now. I think that is pretty much the cheapest mainstream model going.

Have you tried an armband to store your phone in, pretty sure you could get them for any phone going. Then use a free GPS app like Strava.

Edited by Saucy at 23:01:02 11-01-2015
  • mrpon 11 Jan 2015 23:01:00 29,987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use Nike+ and run with the latest gen ipod nano in my pocket and shoe sensor in my trainer. I also use bluetooth headphones as well. This combo doesn't have GPS but it does monitor distance, calories etc..

Give me $10 I'm worth it.

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Jan 2015 23:02:26 9,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Saucy Naw I haven't tried an armband. I suspect I wouldn't like it though. If it was anything less than totally comfortable I wouldn't wear it.
  • PES_Fanboy 11 Jan 2015 23:03:55 20,902 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My toe is much better, thanks for asking, so I'm gonna get back running.

What's a decent shoe nowadays for someone who likes the low-heel, semi-minimalist shoes? I've enjoyed the Skechers GoRuns I've had, but they need replacing with something a little more hard wearing as I like trails running.
  • Kafeen 11 Jan 2015 23:10:33 560 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd I use a SPIbelt for holding my phone when I run. I've always found it comfortable to wear.
  • FWB 11 Jan 2015 23:33:45 46,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That SPIBelt looks good. No problems running earphone cables from it to your phone/device?
  • AccidentProne 12 Jan 2015 08:05:55 1,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I switched from an armband to an SPIbelt a while back, just found it more comfortable and practical as use it to carry keys and gels too. No issues with cables, just run them up under my shirt, though tend to run with Bluetooth headphones nowadays.

Although I happily used running apps for a while, I find my Garmin pretty essential for things like running intervals. Phone battery life was an issue too, after it conking out 24miles into my first marathon, I picked up a Garmin the next day. I'd definitely consider investing in a gps watch if you're going to stick with it.

Which half are you running?
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Jan 2015 08:22:52 9,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @AccidentProne Larne Half Marathon here in County Antrim.

Spibelt sounds promising, would need a waterproof one big enough to hold an HTC one I guess.

I have never ran with headphones, maybe I should, it can be lonely out there.

What Bluetooth headphones are you using?
  • Benno 12 Jan 2015 08:33:52 10,509 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Starting a 10 week training tomorrow for my first half marathon in March.

With the advent of fitness bands and smart watches, is there anything out there that doesn't cost a bomb but I could wear on my wrist (or put in pocket) that has GPS so I know how far I have run and for how long?

I seriously know nothing about these things. My HTC one is too bulky to run with.

Any advice or recommendations would be great!
    I like the Garmin sports watches. Have a look at the cheapest one that has GPS and will communicate with a heart rate monitor. You will probably get a good deal on ebay for an older model.

The GPS will let you keep track of your speed and distance, and the HRM will give you a metric to structure your training around.
  • AccidentProne 12 Jan 2015 08:56:34 1,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd I use Jaybird Bluebuds. Not the cheapest, but they sound fairly decent, don't fall out and have a pretty good battery life.

I really struggle on long runs without a podcast to take my mind off it. Music can really help on tempo / interval runs too. I don't wear them in races though.
  • Mr-Zoo 12 Jan 2015 11:02:12 2,976 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Older Garmin models may in some ways be better than the newer models. My 305 seems to have loads more features than some of the newer ones, although it's far heavier and doesn't have a vibrating alert feature. On the other hand I've used very few of the features so maybe simpler is better. I don't use the virtual coach as I'd get obsessed about it.

Ten weeks of training for a half marathon seems about right, although obv you already need to be running regularly. If from scratch, it's doable but may be unpleasant.
  • Gl3n Moderator 12 Jan 2015 11:16:45 6,018 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good luck Pinky, you'll be surprised what you can accomplish with a little dedication and training :)

I've run a few Half Marathons, a full and a 10k - the last run being a ways back in early April. I haven't done any running since and I've recently taken it back on with a view to doing the Brighton 10K in three months. Jesus christ I am out of shape. I never thought much of my form and pace back when I was training for a full marathon in 2012, but now I realise how fit I must have been.

Edit: Set yourself a realistic goal, something achievable. Make sure you complete every single training run, or as many as possible. I always told myself that it's more important to complete your training runs to whatever criteria is necessary rather than do too much too soon and injure yourself. A mileage per run target is better than a time target. That way if you need to walk some or cut your pace drastically for a tough hill it won't affect the net achievement of getting your session done.

Edited by Gl3n at 14:23:48 12-01-2015
  • Mr-Zoo 12 Jan 2015 11:32:30 2,976 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used a Hal Higdon training plan. Available free on his web site and he sells more detailed plans too. You basically run 3 or 4 times a week, something like 3/5/3 and an increasingly long run on the weekend. Foam rollers are good for post run massage but hurt quite a lot at first.
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Jan 2015 11:53:21 9,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Gl3n - Thanks for the encouragement. I've been hobbyist running for a couple of years now. Mostly 5k runs once or twice a week. I can do 10k also but I don't do that very often.

Here is the plan I made up which starts today:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42027960/10%20wk%20plan.JPG

This will be my first official run in any shape or capacity. Any comments on the plan are welcome from anyone!

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 11:53:50 12-01-2015
  • Benno 12 Jan 2015 12:04:43 10,509 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    @Gl3n - Thanks for the encouragement. I've been hobbyist running for a couple of years now. Mostly 5k runs once or twice a week. I can do 10k also but I don't do that very often.

Here is the plan I made up which starts today:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42027960/10%20wk%20plan.JPG

This will be my first official run in any shape or capacity. Any comments on the plan are welcome from anyone!
    Looks great in terms of the distribution of mileage.

What's arguably just as (or even more) important is the pace in which you plan to run these workouts. Hobbyist runners like yourself tend to gravitate towards a run pace which is a little too fast (Z3), and end up getting injured or burnt out. I would look at the pacing recommendations in one of the Hal Higdon plans, or whatever source you based that program on. Typically, you want to be running 'easy' the majority of the time, with perhaps one of those weekly workouts being a tempo run where you run 'comfortably hard'.

So yeah, definitely look into the pacing, and don't push it too hard too early, because it only takes one injury to fuck the whole program up.
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Jan 2015 12:07:45 9,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Benno Thanks, I do tend to run mostly 'easy' though, due to being 42 years old and having gone far too long without any real exercise. Sometimes I do a slightly harder run but on the whole, as I run on my own for fun, I don't want to injure myself.

I plan on getting a heart rate monitor which might be useful for me too. Is there any way to know what it should be set to for a man of my age?
  • Page

of 49 First / Last