The official DoA4 frustration thread

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Jan 2006 20:24:29 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FUCKING STUPID TEAM FUCKING NINJA!!! LEARN TO MAKE A FUCKING BEAT-EM-UP YOU FUCKING ELITIST BASTARDS! SHITTY FUCKING COMBAT SYSTEM WITH SHITTY LONG ANIMATIONS U CAN'T GET OUT OF STUPID SHITTY COUNTER SYSTEM AND FUCKING BASTARD CHEATING AI!!! ARGGG!!!

It's official - DoA4 is the most frustrating game i've ever played, i'm normally pretty calm and handle defeat well but this game is just so fucking stupidly unfair and shite i'm probably going to have to take it back to the shop, if play.com allow you to return games for being complete shite.

It's the only game i've ever had to pause and walk away from because i'm so frustrated - that end of game boss is a complete joke when your a couple of characters, how did they get away with it? I know Team Ninja don't like casual gamers but this is just taking the piss, i would happily only play the onlne mode but its so shit and even then i need to complete the single player mode with every character to unlock the hidden ones (and why have they made some of the standard characters hidden?)

I'm used to difficult game bosses, i'm a Street Fighter III and Guilty Gear fan and they feature some of the hardest, most cheating lame bosses known to man - nothing could be worse than Gil? but no it seems i was way out - the fucking end of game boss is so annoying!! i can win it in straight rounds with a few characters but others are so badly matched i'm starting to think its impossible to do.

I'm on my 89th attempt now with the old geezer, i did the practice mode with him so learn his moves but whenever i get a round won, she then kills me with 3 moves in about 5 seconds, he has some very slow, but very strong hits - but seeing as this stupid fucking boss thing can teleport as soon as i get a hit in, it teleports behind me, instantly grabs me, and then does that shitty head explode attack which takes away 60% of my health with its slow animation you can't avoid..

If i somehow manage to fluke my way into winning around next time she'll counter every move and kill me in about 5 seconds flat.. you cannot even counter her combo's past the first hit as they are all air juggles, so you sit around watching your screen for 10 seconds while your character gets killed.

seriously, this game is so fucking frustrating i'm just going to have to switch it off and not play it again else i'm going to turn into the incredible hulk or something and start smashing the house up.

I buy games to be entertained. this game is a complete joke.

I'll write a reader review once i've relaxed but seriously, don't buy this game - online mode is shite and single player mode is just, well, you get the idea.

Edited by Pirotic at 20:28:05 28-01-2006
  • christourlord 28 Jan 2006 20:26:46 2,498 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whoa.
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Jan 2006 20:28:48 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seriously, it's the most shit game i've ever played. If it wasn't for the skimpy outfits to unlock i'd fly to japan and stab team ninja to death with the game dvd.

Edited by Pirotic at 20:29:26 28-01-2006
  • Derblington 28 Jan 2006 20:29:53 21,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree completely about the final boss. Some characters just ruin her but others struggle sooo badly.

I like the game though...
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Jan 2006 20:31:02 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I agree completely about the final boss. Some characters just ruin her but others struggle sooo badly.

I like the game though...

That's the thing, I still find myself playing it despite it probably raising my blood pressure to almost fatal levels - it's so fucking shite but just because its so annoying and shit you want to beat it.

I certainly won't buy anymore DoA games after this - if the online games don't get any better (in terms of lag all the time) then i'll get rid of it, shame as it looks lovely but man it's the combat system is so rubbish and the AI so lame it's just insulting for the player.

In the average 40 second match, you only get about 2 seconds of being able to do anything - and if you do the wrong thing you have to watch an unstoppable combo kick your ass slowly for the next 15 seconds..

Edited by Pirotic at 20:32:25 28-01-2006
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Jan 2006 20:34:42 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Bloody hell, I've been on the fence about this game, and stories like this are why. Not sure whether to give it a go or not...

Are you seriously telling me the final boss in this is MORE frustrating than Gil in SFIII? He was a cunt.

On normal setting (which is the lowest you can go) the boss is pretty much impossible for certain characters. Gil was fucking hard but as you slowly learnt his moves you would slowly get better - the boss in this game is so fucking stupidly strong you can't learn how to defeat it, as it can teleport right behind you and instantly grab you whenever it wants, which takes away 50% health.. the only tactic i've found which has ever worked is to run straight for it and button mash for 60/70 rounds until you eventually win two in a row.

I remember i picked the good characters at first and thought "hey it's not so bad! beat it pretty easily" but just you wait until you try to do it with all the other characters to unlock the hidden ones.

it's just a complete joke, rent it and see for yourself.
  • Derblington 28 Jan 2006 20:34:43 21,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The boss in this is just shit, but even though I've been frustrated and swearing at the tv I've not actually felt heated about it, and have been happy for one more go.

I like the fighting mechanic, it's enjoyable and accessible. I have other problems with the game but nothing that prevents you playing it.

I wouldn't shell out 45 for it. I took 2 games back and got it for 9.50. At that price I'm happy.
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Jan 2006 20:36:01 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    The boss in this is just shit, but even though I've been frustrated and swearing at the tv I've not actually felt heated about it, and have been happy for one more go.

I like the fighting mechanic, it's enjoyable and accessible. I have other problems with the game but nothing that prevents you playing it.

I wouldn't shell out 45 for it. I took 2 games back and got it for 9.50. At that price I'm happy.

Have you tried to unlock Spartan yet?.. i felt the same about the game about 5 hours ago, now i fucking hate it with passion ;)
  • Derblington 28 Jan 2006 20:36:52 21,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote: the only tactic i've found which has ever worked is to run straight for it and button mash for 60/70 rounds until you eventually win two in a row.
    :)

I agree with this, but the 7 (?) fights before it are all enjoyable and nowhere near as blatantly unfair.

I only have one round per fight though...
  • Derblington 28 Jan 2006 20:38:12 21,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Have you tried to unlock Spartan yet?.. i felt the same about the game about 5 hours ago, now i fucking hate it with passion ;)
    No, I've only completed it with 3 characters. I bought it earlier today, got that far and stopped playing. I'll take it slowly otherwise i know it'll really get on my nerves.
  • GrayFox 28 Jan 2006 20:39:09 1,698 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gil=1/3 of your usual SNK boss.

Oh and doa is casual.
  • tannerd 28 Jan 2006 20:40:05 2,691 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The goddam juggling is really annoying -

oh? you're going to hit me with a 8 hit combo, followed by a 4 hit combo, none of which I can avoid, and take all my health? Go ahead!

But you can block me mid-way through mine? That's peachy!

The difficulty I'm playing on (default) has only 1 round per fight - makes the end boss slightly less annoying, because I only have to beat her the once.

and online is a waste of time.
  • Hunam85 28 Jan 2006 20:41:20 4,114 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Team Ninja are pretty much a bunch on pricks really, and im annoyed Namco are trying to match them on the prick-o-meter scale

/snarls at NGB
  • Derblington 28 Jan 2006 20:48:54 21,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ninja Gaiden was harsh but fair, this is totally stupid, difficulty wise. The final boss is just stupidly hard and it makes the fight a total fluke if you win, there's just no method to beating her.

The problem I have with it is that the combat is accessible, but the actual gameplay is hardcore. TeamNinja need to decide which camp they wnt to be in because it will totally put pople off the game. If they want to aim to the hardcore market then make the game hard, make it hard to master and those people will put the time in. As it is you can button mash and win against all combatants except the last one and it totally throws off the pace and difficulty of the game.
  • Rincewind 28 Jan 2006 20:53:28 1,398 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought this yesterday and early indications are that I'm going to swap it or trade it as soon as I can - I've managed to complete a couple of characters stories but I'm just not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. There's no real thought behind the fighting, no real strategy involved - it's pretty much button mashing unless you have the speed of thought of a jedi.

Seriously, you have no idea what's coming and as soon as you start getting pummelled, it's very difficult to stop your opponents flow long enough to get a hit in.

It's incredibly frustrating. As for the AI, it seems to kick into overdrive as soon as it realises that it's about to lose a fight and then it kicks the crap out of you. My missus was watching me play it last night and even she was astonished at how I just needed to land 1 more blow to win a fight when I had around 70% of my life left and it kicked 7 bells of shit out of me.
  • one-eye 28 Jan 2006 20:57:40 1,220 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, I was F'ing and blinding at the boss myself last night. I have to confess it has me swearing loudly and angrily when she does yet another cheap move....

Still, feels good when you score a victory.

Is online that bad ? I played against an american last night, it was bearable for the one or two rounds I did play.

I was hoping to go up against some EG'ers and get my butt kicked :)

• MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Jan 2006 20:59:38 37,682 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blimey, and I thought Jinpatchi in Tekken 5 was bad. At least there was a method to beat him.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Pirotic Moderator 28 Jan 2006 21:05:03 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I should point out, i'd already finished it with the story characters - but to unlock spartan you have to beat time trial with the hidden ones.

every character has to fight the lame boss in time trial, and its the best out of three rounds.

so yes, its not too bad with only one round to win as you can fluke it 10% of the time, but two in a row? now you know why i was so pissed off.

still hate the game, i think its a load of old bollocks but i'm happy i got Spartan in the end - that's me done with it now, the amount of stress you have to go thru to unlock her isnt worth the little gratification you get from finally doing it.
  • Darth_Flibble 28 Jan 2006 21:56:04 1,655 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunam85 wrote:
    Team Ninja are pretty much a bunch on pricks really,

in a interview, the creator of NG said something like if you can't complete NG on the hardest level, your some scummy casual gamer

Also team ninja are twats also for not letting you back up your save games on the xbox, since they are locked

wankers
  • sephy 28 Jan 2006 22:30:31 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Erm there are guarenteed ways to beat alpha 152...

if you just mash buttons then you are fuxx0red. While I understand she can be a bitch, its nice for a beat em up to be a challange.

Button mash=fucked
    actually learning the combat systems foebles=win

I agree its rather harsh, but it's also obvious that learning how the game actually works will remove many of the issues. This isn't SFII where you can just jab buttons and win - this requires learning, yet is still less intimidating then many beat em ups are these days

Like harry says

Edited by sephy at 22:31:42 28-01-2006
  • Deleted user 28 January 2006 22:59:21
    Harry wrote:

From early hatred, this is growing into a game I really like. My first hour was hellish, I was stressed, swearing a lot, and generally ready to kill Team Ninja, And now I'm very much enjoying the game.

+1

Exact same feelings here. After half and hour, I was crimson with rage, especially after arguing about the game with pretty much the whole of EG - serves me right for opening my gob before actually playing the game. Then I finished one story with random button mashing, then slowly started to get to grips with the fighting, and working my way up. The game got me by the short and curly now.

Online is a different story. I've had I'd say 7/10 games that were completely fluent and lag-free, but a couple of those then deteriorated into slide shows. The other 3/10 games were ruined by lag from the word go. Whenever that happens you just need to log out of the session and look for another one. Oh and don't use Quickmatch, and you have no way of evaluating the session. On Optimatch if you see a good server speed, and a session with a limited number of players, most of the time you'll be ok.
    And when it works it's really good, beats fighting against the AI.
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Jan 2006 23:57:05 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    .... I worry about you guys sometimes, just wait until you try to unlock Tengu and you'll see the boss isnt "deep" at all, it's just shite.

Yes - you can learn a couple of tricks to increase your slim chances of defeating it, firstly it always attacks if you attack and miss, so don't throw around any moves which are not even going to connect as your asking for a world of pain. but the point is the boss can still teleport at will right behind you and then hit you with a move of its choice before you can possible turn around to block, try going a couple of rounds against it in TT rather than the easier Story mode and you'll see!

Finished the game now anyway, got Spartan and Tengu unlocked so i'm going to give the online mode some more shots, i know the games shite but for some reason i keep playing it... it grows on me, like a cancer.

Really don't like the whole counter system, a beat-em-up should be around making your character invincible, not about making your enemies vunerable and pissed off.. if they just replaced counter with a parry, and cut down on the shitty mid-air juggles you cannot get out of it'd probably be half playable.

Edited by Pirotic at 23:59:15 28-01-2006
  • Derblington 29 Jan 2006 00:01:50 21,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The counters I like, but the juggling is pants. Always has been. Counters and parries are what fighting's all about.
  • Pirotic Moderator 29 Jan 2006 00:14:45 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    The counters I like, but the juggling is pants. Always has been. Counters and parries are what fighting's all about.

But a counter shouldn't be automatic like it is in DoA. The counter itself should just leave the enemy open, in DoA countering instantly damages the enemy (in effect) which IMO is just wrong.

It's like - he attacked you first, but because your a lame little git who kept tapping back and block he'll be the one who gets damaged.

Street Fighter has the right idea with the parry, when you see somebody parry your every move that's just pure skill and because he's skilled enough to do all that parrying, he's skilled enough to kick your pixelated ass without the need for assitance or lengthy graple animations.

Have you ever seen two great DoA players fight? all they do is stand around waiting for the other player to hit them first.. i'm serious!

Edited by Pirotic at 00:16:11 29-01-2006
  • Derblington 29 Jan 2006 00:19:10 21,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But if you counter someone you attack them, so it makes sense. Maybe it just needs to be harder to pull off, and the parry take it's place currently.
  • Derblington 29 Jan 2006 00:20:12 21,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for that.
  • Pirotic Moderator 29 Jan 2006 00:21:22 20,646 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But it's next gen! you always end up playing the same pish for the first 6 months. unless it's nintendo, in which case you get 6 months of original software and generic Mario shite until the machine dies on its feet halfway thru its life-cycle and they go working on the next one.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous