Black Mesa Source : Latest Update Page 4

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• ecureuil 14 Jan 2010 05:42:14 76,877 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just over 5 years now. They have a small team of people, all of whom have other jobs. The magazine played a bit of it and said it was impressive, and it's clear they are actually progressing with development, unlike DNF, which went back to the drawing board once a year.
  • SpaceDave3000 14 Jan 2010 05:49:16 78,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• SpaceDave3000 14 Jan 2010 06:00:24 78,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Summer this year would be nice.

Shame the source engine is a bloody dinosaur.

As an aside, I heard Valve were having a toss up whether or not to make Ep3 into HL3 due to the engine overhaul that's required. The Source engine of old isn't up to scratch no matter what they do and a new engine for a single episode is a little extravagant.

It's a bit of a rock and a hard place seeing as HL2 hasn't technically been finished in terms of storyline.

• SpaceDave3000 14 Jan 2010 06:12:08 78,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think what they have in mind is out of reach of the current source engine, which is fine for what's basically corridor blasting with a few small open areas. Personally I think they should can the uberness and put out Ep3 in the manner the series began rather than taking on grand ideas that would serve a third game better.

Their intent is to create more of a sandbox than a linear ride, which source just isn't able to do.

• SpaceDave3000 14 Jan 2010 06:17:46 78,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think so. HL2 was let down by masses of mindlessly dull padding, and Ep1 felt like a half baked, farmed out cash in. Ep2 felt like they were bolting on things to keep up with current games, but fell a way short.

• Deleted user 14 January 2010 08:23:35
    Source as an engine has changed dramatically since its HL2 days. The only difference being they just called it 'Source' all the way through, instead of changing a number at the end of the name.
  • the_dudefather 14 Jan 2010 09:10:01 9,302 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    it's not half life 1 until headcrabs produce 3 times their body size in gibs

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Tomo 14 Jan 2010 09:15:50 13,929 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be quite happy if Ep3 is Source. I think it's an engine that's aged extremely well. It's not glossy, but it's far from ugly and has a certain attractive charm to it that I like. I want them to get the damn thing out this year though. It's getting silly :/

Then roll on HL3 with all the new bells and whistles in 2012.
  • steellam 14 Jan 2010 09:20:18 1,045 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought Half Life 2, ep1 and ep2 were all fantastic, i still don't think the source engine has been matched in terms of atmosphere, if ep 3 was more of the same that would be fine my me and the sooner the better.

I can see them going a bit more open world with Half Life 3, but if a new engine is required i wouldn't expect to see it this side of 2015 :D
  • roz123 14 Jan 2010 09:29:45 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    no but things like vaseline people from the unreal engine can drop the atmosphere. Valve did a great job in keeping everything as realistic as possible in that you never think "wtf is going on with that"
  • roz123 14 Jan 2010 09:36:53 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i agree the unreal engine is great, it was just an example where sometimes an engine can fail and effect the atmosphere. I think the great thing about the source engine is that this never happens.
  • mikew1985 14 Jan 2010 09:42:58 12,796 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomo wrote:

2012?! HL3? :D

Bit optimistic there Tomo!
  • Deleted user 14 January 2010 10:02:01
    disc wrote:
    Excuse me but it is very possible to make the Unreal Engine do what you want, see Bioshock or Mirror's Edge.

I don't know about you, I'm getting slightly tired of people confusing art direction for engine peculiarities.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Jan 2010 10:07:46 35,606 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    disc wrote:
    Excuse me but it is very possible to make the Unreal Engine do what you want, see Bioshock or Mirror's Edge.

I don't know about you, I'm getting slightly tired of people confusing art direction for engine peculiarities.

I am not entirely sure if your post is sarcastic towards disc or not, but surely engines often have a certain "look", independently of the art direction?

You can tell from a mile off that Zeno Clash uses Source, and Mass Effect uses Unreal.
  • Hunam 14 Jan 2010 10:09:43 20,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really don't like the UE3 at all. Mostly the horrid texture handling, from the omnipresent texture load to the same way bump mapping looks on all the games.

Plus what Lou said. You can tell the UE3 and Source engine a mile off.
  • Tomo 14 Jan 2010 10:10:51 13,929 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Tomo wrote:

2012?! HL3? :D

Bit optimistic there Tomo!

Look, they've blatantly been working on it in secret since about 2005. 2012 is entirely realistic.

Right? Right guys?! GUYS?!

;_;
  • mikew1985 14 Jan 2010 10:21:24 12,796 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...@

Edit: Damn you Smuggo!
  • Deleted user 14 January 2010 10:27:12
    UncleLou wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:
    disc wrote:

I am not entirely sure if your post is sarcastic towards disc or not, but surely engines often have a certain "look", independently of the art direction?

You can tell from a mile off that Zeno Clash uses Source, and Mass Effect uses Unreal.

I'm not being sarcastic towards disc at all.

They do have a certain "look" (feel is a better word) but there's a confusion that often arises, like UE3 only has overly butch characters - as disc says, Mirrors Edge doesn't look like that, it has a papery, pin sharp quality. Borderlands has texture melt but doesn't otherwise look like UE3 at all.

The only source games I can think of offhand are from the Valve cannon, which all have the same general look to the art direction.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Jan 2010 10:48:57 35,606 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    The only source games I can think of offhand are from the Valve cannon, which all have the same general look to the art direction.

Well, Zeno Clash which I mentioned isn't, nor is Dark Messiah or Vampire: The Masquerade.

Obviously they don't look the same, but you can tell it's the same engine, just like you can tell The Last Remnant and Mass Effect use UE3.

Granted, saying all UE3 engine games have space marine characters is nonsense, but there is a certain look or "feel", as you put it, in UE3 games that I am not overly fond of, either., as good (and different) as the games might look.
  • GingerPixel 14 Jan 2010 11:21:26 253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd be totally happy with ep3 using the source engine. There's nothing wrong with how ep2 looks IMO. I'm a big boy now, I can cope with my mind not being completely blown away by everything that comes out.

I'm playing through the orane box at te moment and to be honest I'm quite fond of the way it looks.
  • Demikaze 14 Jan 2010 11:28:33 6,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All three Half-life games are superb. Like people are saying, it's the art direction that makes the games - it gives HL2 a longevity that most games simply don't have. I was playing Episode 2 a few nights back and it still looks lovely and the diegetic details are second to none.
  • Neut 14 Jan 2010 11:31:31 377 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

Team Fortress 2 compared to the Half Life episodes?
  • Demikaze 14 Jan 2010 11:34:49 6,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    Actually, 7 if you include the crappy one on the Playstation.

You know I was talking about Half-Life 2 and are being deliberately obtuse.

To the naughty step!
  • Page

of 14 First / Last