Recommend me some manga

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • RabidMonkey 11 Jan 2006 17:46:26 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been gaming practically all my life. I've been watching Japanese movies and animes for a while now as well but one criteria I'm sorely lacking in is manga.

So help me get one step closer to becoming a full fledged Japanophile by: recommending me some decent, beginner friendly manga, where I could obtain them at a reasonable rate (online or otherwise) and a resource (again, online or otherwise) that will aid me in keeping up to date with releases and tell me what's hot and what's not (sorry).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, go on; recommend me some manga!
  • PinkSpider 11 Jan 2006 17:48:59 3,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blade of the immortal and Lone Wolf And Cub are two of my favourites!
  • itamae 11 Jan 2006 17:49:03 9,880 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Here you go.

/is lazy
  • RabidMonkey 11 Jan 2006 18:06:07 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Woops!

Probably should have searched before hand, huh?
  • RabidMonkey 11 Jan 2006 18:06:12 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Grunk 11 Jan 2006 18:10:14 4,718 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No NEVER search
    Always assume no-one has started a similar thread before.
    Or if they have that everyone's forgotten about it.
    Usually by the third or fourth post someone will have written the word OLD as a hyperlink so they can feel smug and you can feel small.
    It's the EG way!!!!
  • Zuiyo 11 Jan 2006 18:14:44 46 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey RabidMonkey,

It would be easier to guide you if you indicated your tastes. For instance, mentioning what animes you have enjoyed and why is a good idea.

The books Pink Spider mentioned are great pieces of work, especially Lone Wolf & Cub which is available in an excellent English version published by Dark Horse and is one of the classic mangas of all time - it was originally published in the 70s. Bear in mind these two are samurai based.

If you enjoy sports manga I recommend Slam Dunk by Takehiko Inoue. It is a tour de force and a great example of the narrative capabilities of Japanese comics, even if you don't particularly enjoy basketball.

Anything Katsuhiro Otomo has made is worth checking, but if I had to recommend just one I'd say go for Domu, which is his pre-Akira work, is shorter and incredibly shocking.

And if your thing is love comedies, it really never got better than Maison Ikkoku by Rumiko Takahashi, which has been extremely influential in modern works such as Love Hina. This is another big classic that stands the test of time - better than Ranma 1/2 in my honest opinion.

I could go on, just let me know if you need any more titles. Enjoy the reading.

• ilmaestro 11 Jan 2006 22:47:12 32,423 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just read the first three volumes of Midori Days - very funny stuff, if you don't instantly roll your eyes at the principle of a guy's right hand suddenly turning into a girl who has had a crush on him for ages.

• ilmaestro 11 Jan 2006 23:38:20 32,423 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, Tsubasa's awesome in it's own right. It would possibly help to read a primer of CCS to get a feel for the original Shaoran and Sakura, but the rest just makes it better for fans, not worse for newcomers.

• Shadrach 12 Jan 2006 00:23:29 1,878 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just a quick second for Domu here, it's bloody amazing.
  • Shinji 12 Jan 2006 01:17:22 5,903 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Personal current favourites are Kare Kano and Fruits Basket for more girly stuff, and Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach in terms of boys stuff. Anything by Clamp is also great - Tsubasa Chronicle and XXXholic are well worth reading together as the stories intertwine a little bit, or go back and read X/1999 for some great apocalyptic fun.

Death Note is also bloody brilliant, as is Hellsing, and for a hard sci-fi fix Planetes comes very highly recommended.
  • Daryoon 12 Jan 2006 04:10:24 4,629 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just sat and read something like 40 chapters of 3x3 Eyes.

Advantages:
    - It finished years, ago, and though the English translation was cancelled, there are scanlations, therefore you don't have to wait for a few new pages per week.

Disadvantages:
    - It finished years, ago, and though the English translation was cancelled, there are scanlations, therefore you don't have to wait for a few new pages per week.
  • reality_cheque 27 Feb 2006 13:07:03 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would recommend:

Louie: Rune Solder; fun, and not at all deep. And does have ladies in revealing outfits.

Dragonball and Dragonball Z (but not GT as it's rubbish); both much better than the TV series, as you don't have to wait 15 episodes for them to actually start fighting, and the early DB books are bloody surreal and incredibly pervy.

I don't tend to read much 'deep' manga, if you hadn't noticed :D
  • [maven] 27 Feb 2006 13:24:50 5,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yotsuba&! (or Yotsubato! in Japanese). By the same person that did Azumanga Daioh, and it simply makes me smile.

Nausicaš by Miyazaki Hayao... Epic!

Last but not least, Yokohama Shopping Log, which has really moved along in the last few chapters. In general, very little happens. The story is set in a peaceful post-cataclysmic world where mankind is in decline after an environmental disaster.
  • ralphwolfenstein 27 Feb 2006 14:12:00 1,038 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nausicaa is, in my opinion, one of the finest pieces of storytelling in any medium

Appleseed is worth a look too
  • pjmaybe 27 Feb 2006 14:16:27 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was going to recommend FMA but Shinj beat me to it.

Edward ftw!

Peej
  • tengu 8 May 2007 19:54:54 10,294 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Trafford 8 Feb 2014 20:42:49 5,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just read the first book of Attack on Titan, and fucking hell it was good.
    I agree with the back of the book saying it's Japan's Walking Dead.
    I haven't wanted to consume a comic series so much in a long time.

Edited by Trafford at 21:59:45 08-02-2014
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2014 20:45:18 59,887 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It doesnt eek out the big reveals either so theres hardly any filler, which is a rarity.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• onestepfromlost 9 Feb 2014 01:54:23 2,063 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm tempted to buy attack in titan as,my first manga after enjoying the anime. Since the anime didn't really reveal anything :p
  • OmniaVincitAmor 9 Feb 2014 09:01:03 1,518 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @onestepfromlost just watched the first episode last night. Does it r really not reveal anything cos it's just bonkers at the moment. Like it though want to persevere.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• nickthegun 9 Feb 2014 09:38:28 59,887 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most (all?) of the episodes are on http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• onestepfromlost 9 Feb 2014 09:58:03 2,063 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    its hard to explain it does answer some of the personal stuff about the characters, but it doesn't reveal very much about the titans, where they came from etc. series kind of ends with you wondering more. I am assuming since the series was only out a year or two ago that they are making another series.

Its well worth a watch, its great. I really do hope they do continue the series as I really liked it. If not ill just have to invest in the manga for my answers :)
  • Trafford 9 Feb 2014 11:20:24 5,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The first book of the manga does have some interesting details, like information on the walls and the harnesses they use.
    More of that hopefully.

Just ordered up to vol 6.
  • onestepfromlost 9 Feb 2014 11:38:33 2,063 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah im tempted by the manga for sure. It appears from looking at the wiki that the first (well only at the moment) series is the story up to volume 8 of the manga. so hopefully they will commission a series for the other 4 volumes.
  • FanBoysSuck 9 Feb 2014 15:59:48 1,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The manga is still being written so don't expect a conclusion anytime soon. The creator said they wanted to finish it at around volume 20 so it'll be a few years off the end and that's assuming they don't decide to stretch it out due to polarity.

On this plus side I'm pretty sure a second season of the anime is a given. They need to hurry up with the English dub though, 2014 is a bit vague :(

For the emperor!

• Deleted user 10 February 2014 13:39:46
    Guyver. The original series is fucking brilliant. It was during my younger years anyway.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next