TV Chefs Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • ssuellid 11 Jan 2006 13:09:34 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mwtb wrote:

I would mention Nigella Lawson except that I don't recall ever watching her stuff and paying much attention to the food.

She put me off when she went on putting the left over wine into an icetray and making frozen wine cubes. a) this is a waste of wine and b) she also used the wine people left in their glass - yuck
  • sam_spade 11 Jan 2006 13:16:32 15,745 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In the real world, I'd be secretly munching on an ice-cube and thinking that her lips had touched it.

Actually, she's a bit like the woman in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang doing the impression of the wind-up doll. She's too perfect in a way, and she has this glazed look to her eye, she's an automaton, I'm sure of it.
  • morriss 11 Jan 2006 13:18:57 70,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    Jamie Oliver is a no talent twat.

Not according to Gordon Ramsey. He said he's the only TV-chef he'd have working in his kitchen. It was all the 'rest' that were no talent twats. He reserved special criticism for Ainsley iirc.
  • sam_spade 11 Jan 2006 13:21:25 15,745 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now Ainsley, is a CELEBRITY chef. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw him cook something.
  • Pike 11 Jan 2006 13:21:56 13,446 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Pike wrote:

Not according to Gordon Ramsey. He said he's the only TV-chef he'd have working in his kitchen. It was all the 'rest' that were no talent twats. He reserved special criticism for Ainsley iirc.

Well, Jamie Oliver and Nigella are the only british TV-chefs that get shown here in Sweden and compared to his Swedish counterparts he hasn't impressed me.

It is possible that his mockney attitude has made me judge him harsher than I would otherwise though.
  • smoothpete 11 Jan 2006 13:22:04 31,501 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So...

If you were having a banquet, who would you get to do the starter, main and dessert?

Starter - Stein. Probably some kind of shellfish

Main - Two Fat Ladies. Something ridiculously fatty and meaty

Dessert - Oliver. Delicate raspberry tartlet.
  • morriss 11 Jan 2006 13:23:01 70,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Pike wrote:

Well, Jamie Oliver and Nigella are the only british TV-chefs that get shown here in Sweden and compared to his Swedish counterparts he hasn't impressed me.

It is possible that his mockney attitude has made me judge him harsher than I would otherwise though.

Tbh, I've fallen for that. He can be quite annoying. He is a damn good chef however and his recipe book are fantastic I thnik.
  • morriss 11 Jan 2006 13:23:37 70,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    So...

If you were having a banquet, who would you get to do the starter, main and dessert?

Starter - Stein. Probably some kind of shellfish

Main - Two Fat Ladies. Something ridiculously fatty and meaty

Dessert - Oliver. Delicate raspberry tartlet.

My main would be something by Nigel Slater.
  • Pike 11 Jan 2006 13:27:57 13,446 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:

Yay, another Slater fan.
  • smoothpete 11 Jan 2006 13:28:43 31,501 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh and I'd have Nigella for afters. mmm real woman...
  • Dougs 11 Jan 2006 13:39:36 67,299 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Pike wrote:

Just so you know, my brother isn't Gordon Ramsey. Although he does swear as much. Its a chef thing.
  • eleven63 11 Jan 2006 13:41:47 1,602 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't believe no one has mentioned the God of Chinese cooking Ken Hom - try and watch his shows from the early/mid 80's - goes through all the classic Chinese recipes, makes it look simple and bloody tasty!

Fanny Craddock, for being a bloke dressed as a house wife and ordering poor Johnny around – watching her prepare a turkey on a Christmas TV special was kind of scary…..

Galloping Gourmet for loud shirts and kipper ties – food always looked good mind.

And if you don’t like chefs or cooking what the fuck are you doing posting in this thread?

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Leela 11 Jan 2006 14:12:19 485 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    my claim to fame (v tenuous..s?) My friend's cousin is Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall though they're not close. He apparantly lives in a house in the country (somewhere west I think?)

My fave chefs are: James Martin (he cook cook dessert for me any time ;))
    Floyd
    Tony Tobin (bit of a b lister!)
    Delia for her how to cook series
    Manju Malhi - great curries & easy to cook
    two fat ladies - yummy proper meals!
    Also, that mad Irish one on ready steady cook!

edit - fixing linky

Edited by Leela at 14:13:12 11-01-2006
  • morriss 11 Jan 2006 14:13:43 70,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    morriss wrote:

Yay, another Slater fan.

I've 2 or three of his book as well. Top Chef, that man.
  • ssuellid 11 Jan 2006 14:14:52 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    And if you don’t like chefs or cooking what the fuck are you doing posting in this thread?

Same reason there is a TV chef thread on a games website forum.
  • sport 18 Dec 2012 11:59:50 12,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So it looks like all that 'pukka' grub is doing more harm than the ready meals he so adamantly hates:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/dec/17/tv-chef-recipes-ready-meals
  • TheSaint 18 Dec 2012 12:08:20 14,317 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The flaw in that article seems to be the assumption that people would make things from these recipe books every evening rather than just an occasional weekend treat. Where as plenty of people are having supermarket ready meals every day for dinner.
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 12:17:24 7,048 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thing is, with a recipe you can control how much of whatever you want to put in. Ready meals are what they already are. Also, There's no comparison of vitamin content etc, I'd wager something freshly cooked and eaten has more nutrients than something cooked 3 days ago and put in a fridge before being zapped back to temperature.
  • DaM 18 Dec 2012 12:27:05 13,000 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would only eat a ready meal if it was going very cheap. Not on health grounds, they just taste bogging.

I don't understand their popularity. Especially as most of them seem to be single/double portions, so it's not as it they have my biggest timesink, children. Knocking up something fresh shouldn't take too long, especially if you have cupboards full of as much crap as we seem to do. That's my idea for a cookery programme - a chef just turns up at your house and proves you can make something good from what you have in your cupboards/fridge/freezer.

I'll have that wee Chinese girl please.
  • ScoutTech 18 Dec 2012 12:27:17 2,423 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plus the home cooked meal is missing all the ingredients you can't pronounce from the ready meals. I have no proof but I would also say that the fats from a good glug of Olive oil are probably not as bad as the fats bunged into a ready meal
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 12:31:30 7,048 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, I don't have much hydrogenated vegetable fat knocking around my fridge, or chemical preservatives, MSG etc.
  • X201 18 Dec 2012 12:39:51 15,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    That's my idea for a cookery programme - a chef just turns up at your house and proves you can make something good from what you have in your cupboards/fridge/freezer.
    There was a daytime BBC show a few years ago called Take on the Takeaway, where a chef had to cook a meal in someone's kitchen whilst they ordered the same to be delivered from a local takeaway.
  • imamazed 18 Dec 2012 12:42:08 5,537 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    That's my idea for a cookery programme - a chef just turns up at your house and proves you can make something good from what you have in your cupboards/fridge/freezer.
    There was a daytime BBC show a few years ago called Take on the Takeaway, where a chef had to cook a meal in someone's kitchen whilst they ordered the same to be delivered from a local takeaway.
    sounds awful
  • X201 18 Dec 2012 15:48:26 15,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    sounds awful
    It wasn't BBC 4 fodder, but it wasn't too bad either, informative for novices about how easy it is to knock up a Balti, etc in your own kitchen.

Strange seeing some people though, they basically used their kitchens as somewhere to make a cup of tea, and nothing else.
  • EMarkM 18 Dec 2012 21:33:11 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Current favourites = Nigella (still) and Lorraine Pascale, both of whom are gorgeous and can come 'round to cook Christmas dinner for me!
  • crashVoodoo 18 Dec 2012 21:57:19 3,883 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Current favourites = Nigella (still) and Lorraine Pascale, both of whom are gorgeous and can come 'round to cook Christmas dinner for me!
    sophie wright myself ...

Edited by crashVoodoo at 22:01:01 18-12-2012

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• EMarkM 18 Dec 2012 22:04:37 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @crashVoodoo She can do me a sausage roll if she likes... ;)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next