Eurogmer Massive, I need your wisdom.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Chop 10 Jan 2006 11:16:54 155 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi all, I'm planning soon to become a carefree freelance 3D Artist. Basically I will be doing 3D work in Tokyo where my GF is at the moment teaching English.

So, I need a desktop replacement laptop that can cope with pretty high-end 3D stuff.

I've been looking around and Rock Direct seem pretty cool. Particularly this bad boy. Another one I've seen is this Acer one The problem with that one is the relatively small screen and the fact that I'm not sure if it's really geared towards higher end stuff...

The Acer one has the new ATI X1600 in it and the Rock one has a GeForce 6800 Go. Which one of these is better? I know the ATI is newer, but is it faster?

So, can anyone recommend a beefy laptop for up to 2000 to me? Basically if it's a good gaming machine chances are it'll be able to cope with 3d work too, so I'd really welcome peoples input...

Thanks doodz
  • mal 10 Jan 2006 12:45:49 22,328 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bump!

Noone got any suggestions? I've not, but then I'm not a PC hardware kind of a guy.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• FairgroundTown 10 Jan 2006 12:47:24 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't people use Macs for this sort of thing?

/ Knows nothing about the topic in question
  • Kostabi 10 Jan 2006 12:53:15 4,873 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    Don't people use Macs for this sort of thing?

/ Knows nothing about the topic in question

I'll gey lynched by the Mac fanatics but it doesn't make any real difference nowadays. A high end laptop running Windows would handle any and all applications this guy needs.
  • unhipzero 13 Jan 2006 15:08:30 228 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chop wrote:
    Hi all, I'm planning soon to become a carefree freelance 3D Artist. Basically I will be doing 3D work in Tokyo where my GF is at the moment teaching English.

So, I need a desktop replacement laptop that can cope with pretty high-end 3D stuff.

I've been looking around and Rock Direct seem pretty cool. Particularly this bad boy. Another one I've seen is this Acer one The problem with that one is the relatively small screen and the fact that I'm not sure if it's really geared towards higher end stuff...

The Acer one has the new ATI X1600 in it and the Rock one has a GeForce 6800 Go. Which one of these is better? I know the ATI is newer, but is it faster?

So, can anyone recommend a beefy laptop for up to 2000 to me? Basically if it's a good gaming machine chances are it'll be able to cope with 3d work too, so I'd really welcome peoples input...

Thanks doodz

Chop

Off the subject of post

Whats your software/tool of choice for 3D Art?
  • Stickman 13 Jan 2006 15:10:49 29,652 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Eurogmer Massive, I need your wisdom."

Sack him!

Oh, sorry, wrong thread...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Ginger_Messiah 13 Jan 2006 15:10:50 952 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The higher end dell's are supposedly not bad for that kind of work.

/working purely off knowledge from others so don't hate me if i'm wrong.
  • tincanrocket 13 Jan 2006 16:17:59 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A Macbook Pro??

EDIT: Link not working, but can be viewed at Apple.com...

Will be a pain if you need to re-buy software you already have for PC though

If not, high end Dells are good, as mentioned above, and Toshiba laptops are pretty good iirc...

Edited by tincanrocket at 16:21:02 13-01-2006
  • CaptainBeefheart 13 Jan 2006 16:22:32 133 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A green crayon, a red crayon and a pair of 3D glasses?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next