Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OOOOO Samsara!
  • Rhythm 5 Apr 2012 13:21:09 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    urban wrote:
    OOOOO Samsara!
    Looks amazing. Really hoping someone drops out so me and the missus can attend. The Pictureville's one of the nicest screens in the country too
  • Flying_Pig 5 Apr 2012 13:31:55 10,681 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    6 days left to see Madness on Wheels: Rallying's Craziest Years, which was really interesting, if occasionally terrifying.
    Brilliant doc - really must be seen, even if you're not to fussed about rallying
  • urban 5 Apr 2012 16:08:29 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    urban wrote:
    OOOOO Samsara!
    Looks amazing. Really hoping someone drops out so me and the missus can attend. The Pictureville's one of the nicest screens in the country too
    How do you know for sure?

;)
  • Rhythm 5 Apr 2012 16:21:15 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It just is :-)

It's run as part of the media museum in Bradford, used to be the film museum. Bloody lovely seats, nice setting and, most importantly, the projectionists give a shit about what they're doing :-)

In fact, I might take the kids to go see THIS IS CINERAMA on Saturday :-D
  • urban 5 Apr 2012 16:55:47 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck David Icke! I hate that prick.
  • Deleted user 5 April 2012 18:01:52
    hehe. Yeah, but at least he is a source of constant amusement. Jon ronson and Louis threoux conservations with him at quite funny.
  • Deleted user 5 April 2012 18:04:17
    just been on youtube, and can't find no footage of him as a coventry city player or as a gk at all. just stupid amounts of his theories!
  • urban 5 Apr 2012 18:16:17 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry that was a snap rage comment. My stoner friends watch all this info wars bullshit and take it instantly as truth. They don't do any research or think about it objectively. That pisses me off. I Showed them Loose Change 911 which was the first 'out there' documentary they'd ever seen.

The big thing they are talking about at the moment is Chemtrails.

Chem trail thingy on youtube

Paranoia!

Edited by urban at 18:17:40 05-04-2012
  • urban 5 Apr 2012 18:59:29 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was my 9,500th post and this is the threads 100th!

(These things are important when you're chair ridden and dosed up to the nines on co-codamol)
  • asphaltcowboy 5 Apr 2012 19:15:52 5,138 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned it already, but Werner Herzog's Death Row series is some series powerful viewing! Pretty grim though (as you might imagine): Episode 2
  • Deleted user 5 April 2012 19:18:51
    Epsiode three is tonight as well on C4. I;ve really enjoyed them. He as also got a film out on similar subject matter.
  • Anthony_UK 5 Apr 2012 20:29:43 2,459 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Life in a Day

Many people have probably already watched this, to those who haven't it's 24hrs filmed from the point of view of various people around the world

Full documentary/movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFVr_cJJIY
  • urban 5 Apr 2012 20:31:47 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, Into the Abyss IMDB

Saw the film last week but I didn't realise there was a TV series too.

Werner puts his view on the death penalty very well.

Werner Herzog is probably the best eclectic documentary film-maker on the planet today. In my opinion anyway.

A decent article on the film here

Edited by urban at 20:33:25 05-04-2012
  • Deleted user 5 April 2012 20:58:49
    I havn't seen much of herzog stuff, but what i have, i'm impressed. He uses photography well just to let the thing he documents be said ( i guess inflluenced by the dusseldorf school of photography). He uses imagery really well.

And he asks interesting questions and kind of gets in side there head quite well.
  • urban 5 Apr 2012 21:37:03 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think my favourite Herzog signature is the stillness moments he keeps filming after asking his questions.

Catching the subject in both a reflective and true state. Best example of that is Dr. Graham Dorrington at the start of The white Diamond.

You know it's only since this thread came along that I realised I actually know a lot about documentaries!
  • Deleted user 5 April 2012 21:37:27
    The Making of Jaws

Seriously, it's cunning awesome.
  • urban 5 Apr 2012 21:41:03 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really? It's not one of those studio stealth advertising-for-the-film documentaries like the ones you find on DVD extras is it?
  • urban 7 Apr 2012 17:07:59 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Marley

A documentary on the life, music, and legacy of Bob Marley.

From Kevin Macdonald who brought us the astounding Touching the Void.
  • urban 7 Apr 2012 17:21:35 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heima

In the summer of 2006, Sigur Rós returned home to play a series of free, unannounced concerts for the people of Iceland. This film documents their already legendary tour with intimate reflections from the band and a handful of new acoustic performances.
    Utterly astounding cinematography and coupled with the Sigur Rós sound. Epic. literally.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2012 17:34:22
    aye its awesome. I got inni as well which is a more straightforward live dvd. I'm desperate for a Blu ray release of heima though. Untitled 8 is pure amazingness. Beautiful look at icelandic life as well.

Looking forward to the marley film too.
  • Rhythm 10 Apr 2012 11:54:57 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Yeah, Into the Abyss IMDB

Saw the film last week but I didn't realise there was a TV series too.

Werner puts his view on the death penalty very well.

Werner Herzog is probably the best eclectic documentary film-maker on the planet today. In my opinion anyway.

A decent article on the film here
    This has just turned up on US Netflix. Despite being disappointed with GRIZZLY MAN I might give it a go tonight
  • urban 10 Apr 2012 14:17:30 10,923 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Being Elmo

Seriously one of the best documentaries I've seen in a year at least. Really genuine follow your dreams work hard and it'll happen sorta stuff.

One you can watch with the kids too if you have any!

Also watched Buck last night. Just as good.

An examination of the life of acclaimed 'horse whisperer' Buck Brannaman, who recovered from years of child abuse to become a well-known expert in the interactions between horses and people.

I hate the phrase Horse Whisperer though, it implies some sort of hocus pocus which it's not. It's top of the barrel educated understanding of horse behaviour and what attributes we as humans place on any animal.

Edited by urban at 14:23:00 10-04-2012
  • henro_ben 10 Apr 2012 14:52:32 2,211 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Caught Destination Titan on BBC4 last night, following the Huygens probe sent to Titan. Was just channel surfing & got quickly drawn in.

Impressive stuff, especially considering how much of their lives they dedicated to it and how easily it could have all gone wrong.
  • Rhythm 10 Apr 2012 15:06:44 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Being Elmo

Seriously one of the best documentaries I've seen in a year at least. Really genuine follow your dreams work hard and it'll happen sorta stuff.

One you can watch with the kids too if you have any!
    The greatness of this documentary cannot be overstated. It's genuinely fantastic. Heart-warming, fascinating and inspiring.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 10 Apr 2012 15:12:58 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The one aboutt bears with the mong that keeps trying to befriend them and ends up getting eaten. 7/10
  • Load_2.0 10 Apr 2012 15:13:05 18,861 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Expendables.

It is "day in the life" following a team of mercenaries. I was amazed by documentarians ability to get close to the action and covertly film sensitive discussions. It makes you think twice about signing up to a covert team of ex special forces. Though fortunately the team escape without being slaughtered and actually force a regime change on a small South American island.
  • Dougs 10 Apr 2012 15:19:35 66,621 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Being Elmo was amazing. REally inspiring, but a little sad too.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last