of 14 First / Last

• urban 1 Nov 2012 19:04:35 10,984 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi thread! what's new?
  • skuzzbag 1 Nov 2012 20:57:35 5,651 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have been working my way through hundreds of Horizons lately.

Fermat's Last Theorem is a particularly good one from 1996
  • riz23 1 Nov 2012 21:05:43 1,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed a bit of BBC Four science the other night. Seven Ages of Starlight. Quite long and at times bordering on simplistic, but a great explanation of Stars and the main sequence.
  • RelaxedMikki 1 Nov 2012 21:48:17 937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @skuzzbag

Nice recommendation with the Fermat documentary.

At first I thought that the only thing I would learn was that the 't' at the end of Fermat is silent, but it is actually really well done. It's deep, but a layman can follow it.

Imagine a problem so hard that it takes someone that smart 6 years to get their head round it. I've spent maybe 30 seconds working out a move in XCOM, maybe 4 minutes stressing my head about a move in chess, maybe 2 hours getting my dunce thoughts to work out some SQL query once. That maths genius spent 6 whole years just getting an angle on this one problem.

Holy moly.

EDIT: 6 years plus on the problem, in the end. Wow.

Edited by RelaxedMikki at 21:56:59 01-11-2012
  • skuzzbag 1 Nov 2012 22:21:50 5,651 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes it blew my mind as well. It was all confusing as hell to a non mathematical mind like mine that you can prove a theory using some other seemingly unrelated theory. Especially when no-one else in the world could see the connection he made. I think what really completed it all was just how incredibly happy or even relieved he was when he did it.
  • RelaxedMikki 1 Nov 2012 22:35:31 937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes, the ending - where he says how incredibly priviledged he feels to have been able to, as an adult, fulfil his childhood dream - is really cool. Especially after the period of doubt where it seemed his whole solution may have been flawed.

Do I need to spoiler comments about the end of a documentary?!
  • mal 2 Nov 2012 07:32:01 22,725 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They're repeating the three episodes of Servants: The True Story of Life Below Stairs on BBC1 starting 3:35am on Sunday night/Monday morning. I found it a rather interesting documentary series when I saw it last month.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ryohazuki1983 2 Nov 2012 14:29:43 736 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TV Junkie

Recommended by Lous Theroux on his site, so nicked his description:

The central character is a news reporter who obsessively documents his own life, to the point of filming his own spiraling drug addiction, the loss of his career and the breakdown of his marriage. The footage he films of his argument with his wife in front of the kids is unbelievably harrowing.
  • Vortex808 3 Nov 2012 19:53:57 7,340 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rich Hall's Inventing the Indians from BBC4.

On iplayer for 1 more day. A cracking film about the media and government's treatment of native americans.

As excellent and as interesting as any of his documentaries on america have been.

Well worth a watch.
  • nickthegun 3 Nov 2012 20:21:50 60,617 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll second that. Funny and interesting, which is rare.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• localnotail 18 Nov 2012 21:51:02 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The most excellent From the Sea to the Land Beyond is currently showing on BBC4, just over half way through. It's a film about the coast of Britain shown through (mostly silent) BFI footage with a soundtrack by British Sea Power. It's wonderful.

Should be on catch-up, hopefully,

Edited by localnotail at 21:52:42 18-11-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• boo 19 Nov 2012 15:14:30 11,855 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slight thread derail...

For anyone who was interested in the Fermat's Last Theorem documentary, then Simon Singh's book on the subject is highly recommended.
    It's about 10 years old now, but the story's very well told, and it makes for fascinating reading.

Just Another Lego Blog

• skuzzbag 19 Nov 2012 15:22:52 5,651 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    The most excellent From the Sea to the Land Beyond is currently showing on BBC4, just over half way through. It's a film about the coast of Britain shown through (mostly silent) BFI footage with a soundtrack by British Sea Power. It's wonderful.

Should be on catch-up, hopefully,
    That was absolutely mesmerising wasn't it? Some of the stuff they did back in the day was just completely crazy in that pre-H&S world.

That young girl dancing on the girders of the unfinished building without any net or safety rope for example.

The soundtack was pretty good as well. I spent the evening trying to find out if those instrumentals are on any albums or downloadable but couldn't find them.
  • localnotail 19 Nov 2012 21:06:15 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know they reworked some old tracks for it but they must be original new stuff. Think the DVD is out soon, but not sure if that would have the soundtrack on as well.

It's still available on i-player and also broadcast again this week, Wednesday 0:00 - is that Tuesday night or Wednesday? Not sure.

• localnotail 2 Dec 2012 21:14:42 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Rank Organisation's Britain on Film documentaries are fascinating postcards from the 60s. The voiceovers are pretty special, especially the one for the women's life episode. On i-player and catch-up.

• Deleted user 14 January 2013 11:00:42
    just a heads up, the house i live in is on BBC4 tonight at 10pm. Been getting great reviews, about america drug problem with contributions from david simon (the wire creator) etc etc.

Edited by joelstinton at 11:00:55 14-01-2013
  • RelaxedMikki 14 Jan 2013 11:10:33 937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice one Joel - that doc looks superb. Could easily of missed it without the heads up.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 11:13:04
    Bit of an old one this, but Children Underground is a really great documentary about homeless children living in the subways of Bucharest.

Harrowing.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 11:16:10
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    Nice one Joel - that doc looks superb. Could easily of missed it without the heads up.
    no probs, it actually not that long been in the cinemas, as of last month i think! so was quite surprised to see it listed!

Edited by joelstinton at 11:16:22 14-01-2013
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 14 Jan 2013 12:06:05 4,633 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @joelstinton Thanks for the heads up! I think this is by the guy who did the Reagan doc which is also worth checking out.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• beastmaster 14 Jan 2013 12:08:30 11,660 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @joelstinton

I saw this at Sundance London last year and I confirm that it's truly a remarkable film. I'll be watchjing it again.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• RelaxedMikki 15 Jan 2013 00:10:58 937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just watched 'The House I Live In' doc. It was really good.

Covered so much, but I can't help feeling they could have made another hour out of the last 10 minutes (the 'slow motion holocaust' argument of demonisation-incarceration-concentration-extermination).

I am sure the powers that be in the US are not intentionally trying exterminate the poor. But the forced labour in US prisons is pretty messed up:

Arizona law requires that all able-bodied prisoners work: Here's their website if you fancy a 10-50 cents an hour career change

As the venerable Stephen Fry put it "if you were so minded you could almost say they have re-instated the slave trade: 100% of military helmets, bullet proof vests and other items of military clothing; 93% of domestically produced paints; 36% of home appliances; 21% of office furniture" manufactured in the US are produced by prison labour...

EDIT: spellings

Edited by RelaxedMikki at 00:15:51 15-01-2013
  • L0cky 15 Jan 2013 00:19:51 1,540 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watched The Imposter, was quite interesting.

An American kid goes missing; then turns up 3 years later in Spain.

Edited by L0cky at 00:20:05 15-01-2013
  • MetalDog 15 Jan 2013 10:22:18 23,777 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you create a situation where economically you come to depend on prisoners working for tuppence, you will inevitably start creating more reasons to make people prisoners in order to sustain it.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• RelaxedMikki 15 Jan 2013 12:44:48 937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think part of the point is that the only way you can get a US citizen to work for less than a Mexican is to incarcerate them first.

Here's some quick (no doubt badly flawed) sums to check:

$7.25 p/h minimum wage vs $0.3 p/h prison wage
    $7.25 x 30 hours per week x 50 weeks = $10,875 minimum wage salary for year
    $0.3 x 30 hours per week x 50 weeks = $450 prison wage for a year

There are well over 2 million prisoners in the US (up from less than 500,000 at the start of the 80s). 25% of the entire world's prison population.

So 2 million prisoners times ($10,875 - $450) = simple labour cost saving of over 20 trillion dollars per annum! ($20,000,000,000 per year)

That's the kind of saving a nation could get used to, I guess...
  • TOOTR 15 Jan 2013 12:49:36 9,614 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone watch the Memphis three Trilogy - Paradise Lost?

Made me rage it did - tis true - found all three compelling viewing.

Peter Jackson has brought out a version and I'm keen to catch that.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Deleted user 15 January 2013 14:24:56
    TOOTR wrote:
    Anyone watch the Memphis three Trilogy - Paradise Lost?

Made me rage it did - tis true - found all three compelling viewing.

Peter Jackson has brought out a version and I'm keen to catch that.
    Yeah its called of west of memphis. i havn't seen paradise lost, but noticed it as got a release on dvd now. If you can try and catch into the abyss by Werner Herzog. Stunning film.

Just watched The house i live in, a great great documentary. It seems mental for david simon to come out and say the war on drugs is akin to a holocaust - but as the film progress, theres plenty of substantial evidence and a compelling case to suggest this is happening, abeit indirectly.

Edited by joelstinton at 14:26:27 15-01-2013
  • Page

of 14 First / Last