Documentary recommendations Page 7

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• mal 15 Jul 2012 04:09:01 22,446 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm rather enjoying The Strange Case of the Law running on BBC4 at the moment. The presenter's style and editing may be a little bombastic, but it helps make a dry subject more interesting. Fact dense.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• EMarkM 15 Jul 2012 07:51:38 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @urban That's a cracking list and there's quite a few on there that I'm really interested in.

My pal at work saw Jesus Camp a few weeks ago and has advised me to watch it. We are both atheists and share an intense interest in the psychology of religion. Weirdly I am also highly obsessed with the history of religion, and love to watch all those "Life of Jesus" and "History of Holy Relics" type programmes.

Anyway, I think I've found the full version of Jesus Camp on YouTube, so will try to watch it soon. Will also try to hunt down more off that list!

BTW, anyone else here watched all the Zeitgeists yet?

By the other way, my secret shame is Controversial TV (UK Sky channel 200). Love occult (fraud) and conspiracy (nutter) type stuff. David H. Boyle is a hero!
  • urban 15 Jul 2012 11:38:16 10,940 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @EMarkM I have seen them all, even the first one needed a pinch of salt the others needed a bowlful, Quite mad some of it.

Some of it stood up to reason but I do not like 'documentaries' that tell you something without evidence in hand.
  • EMarkM 15 Jul 2012 12:01:11 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @urban Agreed - they're all very interesting, but you have to take on board the fact that some of the research is flawed and there is obviously a huge political motive behind the films, the upshot of which, you realise when you've seen them all, is that they have become a driver for the Venus Project.

I'd love Venus to become reality, but we're too far down the line with our finance-based economy - it'll not happen unless some huge cataclysmic event turns humanity's values completely on their head.

Edited by EMarkM at 12:01:41 15-07-2012
  • riz23 15 Jul 2012 13:29:31 1,247 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw Mission to Lars last week. It's about a 40 year old guy with a form of autism called Fragile X and his siblings efforts to take him to America to meet his idol Lars Ulrich of Metallica.

An insight into autism and a jolly good watch. I imagine it will hit the TV at some point.
  • skuzzbag 17 Jul 2012 19:16:15 5,638 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are a great mix of documentaries on OceanGuy's list
  • mal 10 Aug 2012 00:02:04 22,446 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonight's Storyville about the tories at Cambridge was rather entertaining. Not as horrific as I hoped it to be, and not a general introduction to young tories (I hope) but interesting nonetheless.

• Rodney 10 Aug 2012 05:39:23 1,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone mentionef Being Elmo?

Its rags to richess story of the puppeteer who created and plays Elmo. His obvious pasion for puppetry and the innocence of the Elmo character make it a very feel good doco. I loved it!
  • richardiox 20 Aug 2012 11:43:38 5,577 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So last night I saw the incredible 2001 documentary, Children Underground is now on (US) Netflix so I rewatched it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264476/

One of the most emotive films I've seen. Follows 5 children aged 8 to 14 living rough on the streets in post communist Romania. It's unreal seeing children that young living on the streets, getting high, sleeping on concrete and taking care of themselves as best they can.

Also shocking at the way they're treated by the public, one scene of a 14 year old girl getting kicked and stomped by a passer by as she's crying and ruining his peace.

It's amazing and I recommend everyone watches it. Think you can stream it from that "top documentary films" website too.

Spent an hour on google afterwards researching what has happened to them now - one kid was adopted by a guy in Belgium and posts in the Facebook group about the film.
  • mal 4 Sep 2012 02:15:11 22,446 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BBC4 are currently repeating the classic doc The Shock of the New. Unfortunately, the BBC iplayer is being shit again and not offering series playback for a thirty-year-old documentary, so you can only catch the second episode via iplayer at the moment, but either way it's pretty much the archetype of a very watchable documentary, and well worth familiarising yourself with.

Second ep: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074qfm/The_Shock_of_the_New_The_Powers_That_Be/

• polaris70 4 Sep 2012 19:40:18 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LaserShark
    The Ascent of Money is very good. Explained well things that I'd heard of but were a mystery to me how they actually worked like government bonds and derivatives.
  • dr_swin 5 Sep 2012 14:30:54 4,887 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Into the Abyss.
  • polaris70 5 Sep 2012 17:53:35 290 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LaserShark
    Yeah I found it a good watch. The reason being that it not only explains the financial terms but also the history behind them. For example government bonds were first issued in Florence, and that fuelled the renaissance. Very interesting programme. Good luck.
  • OllyJ 5 Sep 2012 23:38:25 3,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

Last days here
  • urban 6 Sep 2012 11:47:06 10,940 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Samsara

Watched this at the DCA last night, lil baked but honestly it was jaw droppingly good, I couldn't tear the dumbfounded smile off of my face. 10/10 from me

Also, new seats at the DCA were BRILLIANTLY comfortable.
  • localnotail 7 Sep 2012 22:42:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I watched a music documentary called "Searching for Sugar Man" at the cinema this morning and highly recommend it if you get the chance. It concerns the search by a couple of South Africans for information on the mysterious early 70s musician Rodriguez, who, it's alleged, killed himself on stage after his second album bombed as badly as his first. Well, in America that is. In South Africa, his heartfelt songs of life at the bottom of society and the need to fight the establishment struck a real chord in the apartheid-blighted world of idealistic teenagers and these two albums became anthems of a generation.

The story has been framed to give maximum narrative effect, as most documentaries are, but it's really nicely done, and his music is just lovely, can't believe his talent was never recognised in his own country. Somewhere between Dylan, Gil Scott Heron, James Taylor and Scott Walker. He was too shy to perform well, often had to play facing away from the audience. People thought he was a bum, but across the world, he was helping inspire dissenters to strive for revolution.

Edited by localnotail at 22:45:34 07-09-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Pinky_Floyd 7 Sep 2012 23:28:48 7,674 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    People thought he was a bum, but across the world, he was helping inspire dissenters to strive for revolution.

Best box quote ever.  Would also like to hear Voiceover Man doing it.
  • mal 8 Sep 2012 01:11:10 22,446 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers, for the reminder, Local. I first came across Rodriquez through David Holmes then came across the tune a year or so later at a party with lots of Saffers (London for you). Couldn't believe how popular it had been with them, but was still pretty much unknown over here.

• mal 12 Sep 2012 23:12:55 22,446 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doc on BBC4 a few minutes ago called 'The Three Rocketeers' about the HOTOL and Skylon projects and the guys behind it. Worth watching if you're interested in British space flight.

• SuperCoolEskimo 12 Sep 2012 23:54:58 9,770 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really enjoyed the 'Toughest Place To Be A..' documentaries the BBC have done this year. Saw the Ferryman one last night, really touching and eye opening.

Well worth checking out on BBC iPlayer.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 12 Sep 2012 23:58:23 9,770 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also saw a very interesting 9/11 documentary recently - The Woman Who Wasn't There. Intriguing, confusing, and entertaining documentary. It's on Youtube.
  • rtk79 13 Sep 2012 00:36:41 493 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chris Marker's documentary work (which comprises most of his output) is extraordinary, and quite diverse : portraits of filmmakers (Kurosawa, Medvedkine), political history, travelogues, street art, essays, in film, on memory. Not only is the work incredibly insightful, it's always a lot of wistful fun as well.
    Here's an early one (half of one) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec9Ojy5QYvs&feature=relmfu
    It's in French, obviously. Bear in mind the spoken commentary is NOT a paraphrase of the on-screen events.

Edited by rtk79 at 14:52:29 13-09-2012
  • LeD 13 Sep 2012 20:33:00 6,226 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    I haven't read the whole thread but Senna is one of the best documentaries I've seen in a while, and I'm not much of an F1 fan anymore.

I was when he was racing though.
    Seen this on TV last night so had to dig up the forum to see if I could find likeminded people. Your thoughts echo mine exactly. I stopped watching F1 the day he died. He was my childhood hero - and I hated Prost with a passion, which wasn't doing me any favours at school (fellow countryman).
  • Deleted user 19 October 2012 22:47:00
    The Lion Cub From Harrods

An astonishing little documentary about two hippies purchasing a lion cub from Harrods and raising it in 60s London.

Features the most incredibly heartfelt embrace ever. Just powerful, powerful stuff.
  • DaM 19 Oct 2012 23:14:42 12,985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've really enjoyed Welcome To India on BBC2, you can still get them on iPlayer if you hurry.

It follows the lives of some slum dwellers in Mumbai, looking at the amazingly inventive ways of how they make a crust. They all work like dogs and have next to nothing, but all seem remarkably happy and full of life.
  • L0cky 24 Oct 2012 05:50:40 1,519 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Highly recommend Secret Universe: The Hidden Life of the Cell; a truly amazing story about an eipc war that's been raging for billions of years between viruses and cells.

The world inside our cells is fascinating, and the tricks that viruses pull off are both scary and beautiful.

It's like a sci-fi on another planet, yet it's going on inside us every day.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last