New Star Trek Page 176

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• Jmek 8 Sep 2013 11:40:28 1,327 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @skuzzbag

There's no hatred, it's just not a good film. It's very pretty but pretty vacuous. It's endemic with a lot of modern films and to a certain degree TV, make it big brash and spectacular. Who gives a damn if it makes no sense, has no logic, characters act only to serve plot points, and over reliance on deux ex machina cop-outs and coincidence. Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises, STD and Doctor Who are a few examples.
  • OptimusPube 8 Sep 2013 11:42:12 3,015 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Star Trek snobs are the worst.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Deleted user 8 September 2013 11:42:38
    Choppi wrote:
    What's with the scene where the Dr strips to her underwear?!?

Apart from that I really enjoyed it, got a bit rubbish in the final twenty minutes but still rate it.

Last one was better though.
  • Maturin 8 Sep 2013 11:43:32 2,992 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "reliance on deux ex machina cop-outs"

Well that's certainly something one never sees in old Star Trek TV series'.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Sep 2013 12:08:59 24,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    "reliance on deux ex machina cop-outs"

Well that's certainly something one never sees in old Star Trek TV series'.
    That doesn't mean it's alright.

But it does make far more sense when you've only got 40 minutes and everything has to be pretty much reset for the next episode.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• CosmicFuzz 8 Sep 2013 12:10:39 24,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    The hatred really comes across as desperate to not like it though.
    Haha, fantastic. Now if you don't like it you're talking rubbish? The only desperate post is yours!

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• Kronos 8 Sep 2013 12:18:18 564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rudedudejude wrote:
    But they just copied famous scenes and plotlines from old ST films and tried to hash them into this shit storm of a film.

Absolute garbarge tbh. I don't expect any remotely interesting sci-fi moments, just random action sequences strung together with shit 'emotional' scenes and few old ST stuff re-hashed.
    This seems all that Damon Lindelof and co can do. God forbid they try and write something original. Did exactly the same thing with Prometheus which was also shit.

Edited by Kronos at 12:19:01 08-09-2013
  • gammonbanter 8 Sep 2013 16:15:32 1,499 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    (Broad brushstrokes but) TOS was carried by the concept, TNG was carried by the acting, DS9 was carried by the setting and Voyager was carried by the scripts. Yes, not in every case.

Enterprise wasn't really carried by anything.
    Good points.

I think voyager was carried by direction a lot of the time too, pacey little stories that were neatly wrapped up at the end where they pushed the reset button so no character ever developed!

Enterprise was (and still is with the netflix campaign) carried by good will =)

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• TheDarkKnight 8 Sep 2013 19:18:43 695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    shit 'emotional' scenes
    Glad it wasn't just me then. I felt no connection to the characters in the big emotional scenes at all. They felt forced.

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• altitude2k 8 Sep 2013 20:24:15 4,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You know, Karl Urban's portrayal of McCoy always stood out to me as the best embodiment of a classic crewmember. But having watched this again I've got to say that Chris Pine does a solid job of channeling Shatner.
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Sep 2013 20:30:19 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    You know, Karl Urban's portrayal of McCoy always stood out to me as the best embodiment of a classic crew member
    I think he is genuinely the ONLY character that embodies the old characters. He's great!

... the rest are so-so, even Kirk who is dangerously competing against Daniel Craig for poutyness and lip gloss.
  • Ginger 8 Sep 2013 20:30:41 6,836 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    shit 'emotional' scenes
    Glad it wasn't just me then. I felt no connection to the characters in the big emotional scenes at all. They felt forced.
    Completely. I hope in ten years time they look back and call this 'the bullshit melodrama one'

London open taekwondo champion

• Dave_McCoy 12 Sep 2013 13:52:05 2,775 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree Karl Urban was pretty good as McCoy, but even he said 'Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a (insert job here)' a bit too often.

I still like his slightly grumpy portrayal though.
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2013 13:42:36 59,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/oct/03/star-trek-into-darkness-jj-abrams-lens-flare

JJ apologises for the insane amounts of lens flare in star trek

"This is how stupid it was," said Abrams. "I actually had to use Industrial Light & Magic to remove lens flare in a couple of shots, which is, I know, moronic. But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery."

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• mcmonkeyplc 3 Oct 2013 13:59:44 39,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's nice JJ fuck off now and make your star wars films.

Don't come back.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Gambit1977 3 Oct 2013 14:02:34 9,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shame he doesn't apologise for the abomination that was 'into darkness'
  • GiarcYekrub 3 Oct 2013 15:09:56 3,752 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Personally I'd love Picard and Co to come back and be forced against the JJ Crew perhaps there both fighting for the future of their respective universes, personally I know who I want to win.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Oct 2013 15:42:40 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really? Shock us with your personal preference.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 3 Oct 2013 15:45:59 59,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im not entirely convinced a group of tubby pensioners would put up a particularly good fight.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• StarchildHypocrethes 3 Oct 2013 15:55:19 25,825 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jonathan Frakes barrel chest would cause all others to quake before him.
  • AceGrace 3 Oct 2013 15:55:28 1,105 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was just happy to see Peter Weller.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Oct 2013 16:01:14 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He was fucking amazing.

• GiarcYekrub 3 Oct 2013 16:02:49 3,752 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    I was just happy to see Peter Weller.
    He was good in Enterprise
  • gammonbanter 3 Oct 2013 21:27:48 1,499 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    He was fucking amazing.
    Yep, he's great! But why do all Star Fleet Admirals go nuts?

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• LeoliansBro 3 Oct 2013 22:59:21 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even Kirk.

• CosmicFuzz 3 Oct 2013 23:00:59 24,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    He was fucking amazing.
    Yep, he's great! But why do all Star Fleet Admirals go nuts?
    Stuck behind a desk. They miss the thrill of interstellar space exploration. Naturally this turns them into homicidal maniacs.

• spindizzy 17 Oct 2013 00:08:38 6,505 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just (FINALLY) watched the latest Star Trek film, and, despite a bunch of massive plot holes and a few distractingly clunky bits... I absolutely loved it. Now, I freely admit I've had a few whiskies (to distract myself from the fact that I'm in an unheated caravan in a catastrophic two year house renovation) so perhaps I need to rewatch it drinking tea, but I thought it was smart, funny, and respectful to the source material. In fact, I think it took part of Trek I never liked and made me see them in a new light and enjoy them for the first time. And no bullshit deus-ex-machina/tachyon/reversing-shield-polarity get outs... Honestly, I'm slightly shocked at how much fun I had.
  • spindizzy 17 Oct 2013 00:09:26 6,505 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    'Twas ace.
  • Gambit1977 17 Oct 2013 00:15:39 9,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Just (FINALLY) watched the latest Star Trek film, and, despite a bunch of massive plot holes and a few distractingly clunky bits... I absolutely loved it. Now, I freely admit I've had a few whiskies (to distract myself from the fact that I'm in an unheated caravan in a catastrophic two year house renovation) so perhaps I need to rewatch it drinking tea, but I thought it was smart, funny, and respectful to the source material. In fact, I think it took part of Trek I never liked and made me see them in a new light and enjoy them for the first time. And no bullshit deus-ex-machina/tachyon/reversing-shield-polarity get outs... Honestly, I'm slightly shocked at how much fun I had.
    no deus ex get outs?
    Really? None? Not one really hideous one? None at all, no?

/can you tell I'm (sadly) disappointed in STID?
  • spindizzy 17 Oct 2013 00:48:48 6,505 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well. I already played my whisky defence, but no ... For a Trek film this was relatively coherent. Put it this way, they're always stupid and unbelievable (especially the leeway given to ridiculously young and wayward 'officers') but this one swept me along. Even 'Scotty's' accent was a bit less objectionable (not that this could ever really be a complaint given the original :-P).
  • Page

of 179 First / Last