of 179 First / Last

• Dirtbox 27 May 2013 12:12:31 76,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The first half of the film was a fairly okay action movie, the second half was a big fat fuck you to trek fans.
    No it wasn't.
    Yes it was and it was fucking shit.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-star-trek-into-darkness/
    I love Half in the Bag, but they aren't the de facto opinion on films Dirtbox unless they agree with me, obvs..

I've seen the film twice now, I really like it, in the same way that I really like Mission Impossible 3.

If we have to have stupid action films, this is how to do it.
    I didn't say they were, they merely share my opinion, which it was a poorly written, brainless action flick with a completely unintelligible plot, strung together practically on the fly for no other reason than letting them play out what they thought would be cool action scenes. If you can nutshell the plot for me I'd be fucking impressed.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DFawkes 27 May 2013 12:22:27 22,059 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not that complicated, is it?

A misguided Starfleet Admiral tries to start a war by putting together a team of super soldiers, but one of them rebels. That same Admiral then tries to manipulate the Enterprise into a starting a war and killing that Rebel at the same time. The Rebel is smart and turns it around, doing more rebelling. Because he's a Rebel!

That's essentially the plot, isn't it? There's other stuff going on but it's mostly feeding into that story. Certainly didn't feel unintelligible when I was watching it, and I'm generally terrible at following movies.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Ironlungs76 27 May 2013 12:23:26 4,930 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    If you can nutshell the plot for me I'd be fucking impressed.
    Kirk has threesome with kitten women. Spock yells. They rip off Godfather 3. Spock and Kirk kiss and make up. Sherlock punches people.
  • DFawkes 27 May 2013 12:24:53 22,059 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ironlungs is far better :D

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Ironlungs76 27 May 2013 20:30:08 4,930 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Heh, I tried coming up with a haiku version but my rugrat kept me away from anything clearer.

/phasers set to thoughtful
  • Bremenacht 27 May 2013 20:57:14 15,753 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A good guy turns bad
    Kirk prevents war with Klingons
    Mr Spock shouts KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Ironlungs76 27 May 2013 21:03:31 4,930 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Very good, I've been pondering this topic for some time, sadly my haiku is shite.

I've obviously been far too fascinated with rhyming "DP pussycat, Vulcan neckgrip, Sherlock prevails for mindblowing sequel"

Writers have it easy :(
  • varsas 6 Jun 2013 08:57:24 2,373 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched it again, this time in 2D and enjoyed it just as much as a I did the first time. In fact a little more because a couple of criticisms I read after the first time that I sort of agree with were nullified paying attention more closely this time round.
  • RichieTenenbaum 6 Jun 2013 09:02:21 2,157 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I went and watched it, against my better judgement.

Turns out, it's good.

I liked it.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Jun 2013 09:55:35 36,280 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed it but I had some issues with it. For me the quality of the film dropped as soon as Spock called prime Spock and had him spell it out for him, and asked him how he was defeated. Like they couldn't do it themselves.

I was kinda OK with them re-doing the radiation scene with the roles reversed but the KHAAAAAAAAAN was ridiculous and made me literally face palm. I saw my wife cringe and she's not even much of a fan.

Of course what made that scene even more cringeworthy was telegraphing how Kirk was going to survive when McCoy was pissing about with that dead tribble and Khan's blood.

So although it didn't run the film or owt, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Steve_Perry 6 Jun 2013 10:07:55 2,444 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's the same as the first film. Some great ideas, a great cast, some absolutely amazing visuals and some pretty terrible writing which comes undone under the slightest of scrutiny.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• nickthegun 6 Jun 2013 10:35:57 55,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WRT the redlettermedia review discussed above, theres now a seven minute Mr Plinkett bit discussing all the cribs (intentional and unintentional) from the other movies.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• morriss 7 Jun 2013 06:16:55 70,749 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Summer blockbuster isn't deep, considered cinema shocker.

Loved the ride, great fun. Cumberbatch was awesome as usual.
  • kingcrowbar 8 Jun 2013 07:52:59 875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only just released here, so I've been avoiding what feels like half the internet and Star Trek Online for the past month. :(

Maybe it was due to the dark and the 3D, but for a few hopeful minutes I thought it might actually go in a different direction and they wouldn't just copy WoK. When Kahn went berserk on the bridge I thought he had killed Scotty (perhaps for the accent) and was genuinely shocked, until they beamed back to the Enterprise.

Then later on in the warp core scene I had hoped that maybe after setting up old Spock again, he might transwarp-trasport (or whatever it is called) from New Vulcan and intercept Kirk thus setting up a twist of an old Spock-Spock hand on glass moment or something, but then I remembered Bones attempting to zombify a Tribble for no reason whatsoever /o\

Enjoyable enough but as a life long Star Trek fan I do feel cheated at what could have been with the whole reboot universe and could happily had a few films of Pike as Captain with Kirk and Spock as subordinates rather than this nonsense of them getting promoted/demoted as the scene requires.
  • Jmek 8 Jun 2013 08:44:38 1,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man, I was so disappointed with this movie. To me it's pretty endemic of the imaginative poverty in Holywood these days. The script is really, really terrible but they try to bludgeon you over the head with pretty visuals and it rattles along at warp speed in the vain hope you won't notice. They've got a great cast and a whole universe to explore, so there's no excuse. It's my hope that seeing as Abrahams is off on the Star Wars gig we may get rid of Orci & Kurtzman too. Oh, and Damon Lindlof deserves to be tarred & feathered and run out of town for this and Prometheus.
  • Dave_McCoy 12 Jun 2013 23:21:51 2,739 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally been to see this. Enjoyed it for what it was...a lot of fawning moments between Kirk and Spock though.

One thing that irked me in five minutes though was what the FUCK was the Enterprise doing, not only in atmosphere but under the bloody sea?? Starships, apart from Intrepid classes and maybe one other, don't enter the atmosphere unless it's absolutely unavoidable!

Now I feel a bit geeky and sad...
  • varsas 18 Jun 2013 09:22:03 2,373 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well we know the Enterprise can fly in the atmosphere since it was built on the ground in the first film?
  • nickthegun 18 Jun 2013 09:25:49 55,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?!?!"

"Well, it was built for space travel, so anywhere between zero and one."

He totally called it

• Phattso Moderator 19 Jun 2013 06:17:07 12,723 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Caught this last night. Very different pacing to the first film in places, but it hit a lot of the right character beats. Throwaway plot, sadly, and while the bad guy was interesting he was never really developed to anything like the degree he could've been. Even Eric Bana was given more screen time to establish motivations in the first one.

While cheesy as fuck (and signposted from the moment Dr. Marcus made an appearance) I sort of liked the reversal of the original WoK death scene and all that jazz surrounding it.

Can't help but feeling that rolling out Nimoy for a short turn in this one was just getting him in one more movie before popping his clogs. :(

It's all too easy to misremember the older Trek movies as bastions of scientific accuracy and deeper meaning, but let's not forget that Kirk ultimately defeated Khan by remembering that space was three di-fucking-mensional. The franchise is no stranger to pulling shit like that, so the contrivances in the reboot movies don't bother me as much in that regard. :)

Into Darkness felt like a super high budget 'episode' in the movie franchises, which is bad in a way, but I must confess to enjoying how they're playing out some of the alternate reality stuff. It's a nice workaround to not having a TV series to riff off of.

I'll happily queue up for more, if only to see how many more references to old movies and episodes they can cram in there.

Tribbles can get fucked, though.

Edited by Phattso at 06:24:24 19-06-2013
  • Gambit1977 19 Jun 2013 07:58:51 9,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *looks around sheepishly*
    Nope, still not safe to say I thought it was a shit DS9 episode. :-(

/backs away carefully.
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Jun 2013 08:55:11 12,723 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There were no fucking annoying children in it, so it was nothing like DS9. :)
  • Gambit1977 19 Jun 2013 09:13:42 9,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    There were no fucking annoying children in it, so it was nothing like DS9. :)
    So Scotty etc are adults then? ;-)
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Jun 2013 09:21:56 12,723 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a fair point, well made.

It's a strange movie - it really does have an episode feel to it, rather than a cinematic event. It wouldn't be out of place in a run of eight or nine films but would be a real waste if it was part of a trilogy, if you know what I mean?

Still enjoyed it though. I think The Sun might call it "rip roaring" and possibly "barnstorming" or even "barnstorming romp" on a good day. ;)
  • nickthegun 19 Jun 2013 09:38:34 55,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kirk remembering space is three dimensional is one step ahead of every other captain.

'OH NO! A SPACE BLOCKADE! WHAT CAN WE DO?!?'

'Go up?'

He totally called it

• Steve_Perry 23 Jul 2013 09:23:16 2,444 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thank the lord.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jul 2013 14:05:02 4,671 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Thank the lord.
    The thing that caught my eye on the particular webpage is that Empire gave Cowboys & Aliens four-blooming-stars!

... it was an astoundingly average film.

Anyways, this is GOOD NEWS.
  • CosmicFuzz 23 Jul 2013 15:17:46 21,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Charlie, what is your fascination with bold?

Anyway, yes this is good news. Hopefully this means the breakneck pace will slow down a little. First Class was great, and handled a large cast of characters well. Although I could have sworn Woss's wife wrote it.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jul 2013 15:25:03 4,671 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Although I could have sworn Woss's wife wrote it.
    She did Kiss-Ass, right?

I believe she wrote First Class, seeing as her name pops up on the screenplay part of the credits.

... or I could be wrong.

A boldless message just for you CosmicFuzz!
  • CosmicFuzz 23 Jul 2013 15:38:03 21,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :D

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• RobAnybody 23 Jul 2013 17:31:45 824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Thank the lord.
    Unfortunately it's a case of "out of the frying pan, into the fire" seeing as they are now using the X-Men First Class/Thor writers (both badly written films).
  • Page

of 179 First / Last