New Star Trek Page 173

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• faux-C 14 May 2013 16:10:16 9,634 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just seen it. Loved it.

New Trek 1 was a 10/10 and I'd put New Trek 2 at 9/10, but still brilliant.
  • captbirdseye 15 May 2013 21:29:55 5,463 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did anyone spot Nolan North in this ?
  • CosmicFuzz 15 May 2013 21:49:41 25,609 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes. Made a pretty good kirk I thought.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Deleted user 15 May 2013 23:12:14
    Just come in from watching this. Loved it.
    I pity anyone who hasn't seen wrath of khan, i really do. I was literally had a holy shit moment, it is probably the greatest nod to source material, yet twist ive seen

I don't normally try to judge films until a day or so later, buti just can't with this!

Enjoyed it immensly, going to to read back through thread now.
  • Jacksie66 15 May 2013 23:16:24 574 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @joelstinton the more I think of into darkness the more I despise it. WOC is one of my all time favorite movies. Into darkness bastardised it with it's shit Spock crying at Kirks stupid fucking death.
    And that khaaaannn...
    Good fucking god...
    Fuck you jj Abrams....
    Sorry for the rant....
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 23:17:47
    RyanDS wrote:
    I assumed that both time travel and parrelel universes exist in Trek. And generally they have been fairly specific as to whether they have jumped to another timeline (Mirror Mirror) or whether they have traveled within their own timeline (city at the Edge of Forever / Trials and Tribbleations.)

It's the only way it makes sense. You can't just have one, otherwise half the episodes make no sense. For example in Star Trek First Contact if the Borg had gone to an alternate universe while the enterprise had not travelled, why did the world around them change?
    They do that in deep space nine - in series two (yeah just watched it) kira and bashir end up in the universe of the transporter incident of kirk.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 23:23:15
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    @joelstinton the more I think of into darkness the more I despise it. WOC is one of my all time favorite movies. Into darkness bastardised it with it's shit Spock crying at Kirks stupid fucking death.
    And that khaaaannn...
    Good fucking god...
    Fuck you jj Abrams....
    Sorry for the rant....
    I'm probably stupid for not seeing it coming. i should have but i didn't, and i was genuinely surprised by what happened. I thought it was really well played.

I think as trekkies its easy to get too aborbed by nitpicking, its clear that when they rebooted it, the first thing they put down was the kirk and spock relationship as the main thing they were going to explore.

So from a movie perspective, to play that hand, and effectively make the WOK a companion piece to explore that relationship was great.

I'm buzzing right now, probably not the best time to go out all gushing - i had a problem with spock spock appearance for starters, and a few other bits - but at the moment i'm happy.

Edited by joelstinton at 23:38:12 15-05-2013
  • Jacksie66 15 May 2013 23:46:40 574 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @joelstinton wait for it to sink in. It's lots of little things that annoyed the hell out of me in ITD. I didn't like the new klingons. It's just me but I preferred the look of the original (not TOS) klingons. These just felt to... Hollywood if that makes sense. Plus if Cumberbach is supposed to be Khan, how come no Shakespeare?
    No "from hells heart I stab at thee"...
  • gammonbanter 16 May 2013 23:39:12 1,519 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's easier just to think of it as a Star Trek themed action film, in which case it wins big time. I hope they snip the Khaaaannnnnnn bit from the Blu Ray!
  • Bremenacht 16 May 2013 23:45:41 19,652 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thread title needs a big spoilers warning.

Thought it was decent enough, but cheese is starting to creep into it. The more it pulls stuff from the Star Trek archive, the worse it'll get. Maybe that's great fan service, but want to see something original.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 May 2013 07:07:17 25,609 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like a Trek TV show almost happened with JJ Abrams but the fact CBS owns the rights caused whole bunch of problems.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/16/how-rights-issues-killed-a-new-star-trek-tv-show?I

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• atomicjuicer 25 May 2013 23:34:22 309 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really enjoyed this way more than I was expecting! Yay 2 great new Star Trek movies :)

More deliciousness for my blu ray collection.
  • RobAnybody 26 May 2013 00:02:19 945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't love it, but I didn't utterly hate it either.

The action sequences played out like video game segments, the dialogue was often shite (as was the plot) and the patently obvious 'thefts' from a certainly other classic Trek film was unforgiveable (and nowhere near as good as the original).

On the plus side, it looked nice and Urban is excellent as Bones.

I preferred it to the 2009 film, but not by a huge amount.

They really need to employ some bloody good writers for the next film (if there is one) instead of the utterly garbage Lindelof, Orci and Kurtzman; those guys apparently couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag.
  • Steve_Perry 26 May 2013 00:03:32 5,200 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Here here.
  • Dirtbox 26 May 2013 01:22:45 79,176 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Star Trek for people who have never watched Star Trek.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Ged42 26 May 2013 20:57:36 7,804 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fun and action packed, but a bit light on the story side. Enjoyed the nods to the old trek with it's ending, references and tribbles, even found myself joining in the classic name shout.

Thought Quinto and Urban were great as Spock and McCoy.  But Pine and the rest is a bit on the bland side, also my brain just canna accept Pegg's scottish accent.

For the next film I want a remake of Trouble with Tribbles, with a guest appearances by the DS9 crew.
  • Scurrminator 27 May 2013 00:13:14 8,465 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Did anyone spot Nolan North in this ?
    He's on the Vengeance bridge

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Dirtbox 27 May 2013 03:31:31 79,176 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The first half of the film was a fairly okay action movie, the second half was a big fat fuck you to trek fans.

• morriss 27 May 2013 07:44:47 71,286 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The first half of the film was a fairly okay action movie, the second half was a big fat fuck you to trek fans.
    No it wasn't.
  • Laserbream 27 May 2013 08:46:23 497 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't get the second khaaaaaan moment. The Shatner version has been an unintentional joke for decades. Linking your film to that well known example of giga-melodrama seems like insanity.

And the Kirk/Spock role reversal didn't feel like a nod to the old films, it felt like a seizure-induced headbutt.

Good fun to watch though, and worth having on the shelf when the blu-ray is out and down in price.
  • DFawkes 27 May 2013 10:47:17 24,047 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I suppose they thought it'd be nice to mirror certain elements of older Trek, though I appreciate it'll feel a bit out of place to most older Trek fans. But for fans of the new Trek movies alone, I suppose Spock had to shout something angrily to show he'd been pushed past his threshold of emotional control. Just as well making it what he shouted.

There's an interview from Roberto Orci on the Star Trek website here that's worth a look. Part of me wishes he'd won the debate in regards to whether they have Khan in it or not, as essentially it makes almost no difference. I do like the theory that stuff that happened in The Original Series happened because it was the stuff most probably to happen, so stuff in these movies doesn't happen because of destiny, it happens because of probability.

Still bobbins of course, but sciency bobbins rather than fate bobbins ;)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Dirtbox 27 May 2013 11:07:50 79,176 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No it wasn't.
    Yes it was and it was fucking shit.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-star-trek-into-darkness/

• GuiltySpark 27 May 2013 11:13:18 6,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No it wasn't.
    Yes it was and it was fucking shit.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-star-trek-into-darkness/
    I love Half in the Bag, but they aren't the de facto opinion on films Dirtbox unless they agree with me, obvs..

I've seen the film twice now, I really like it, in the same way that I really like Mission Impossible 3.

If we have to have stupid action films, this is how to do it.

Get bent.

• GuiltySpark 27 May 2013 11:13:54 6,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, fuck Star Trek fans.

Get bent.

• Maturin 27 May 2013 11:17:52 3,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Loved the new movie. I liked the old TV show/films too - I grew up watching the original series in the 80s.

In Into Darkness I particularly liked all the parallels to Wrath of Kahn. It reminded me of the concept in Stephen Baxter's voyage that even if the timeline changes there's no escaping fate - such as the Challenger disaster).

The reverence a pretty cheesy (but very entertaining) 60s TV show is held in is quite funny. Anyone would think JJ had drawn a mustache over the Mona Lisa.
  • morriss 27 May 2013 11:22:19 71,286 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a huge Star Trek fan, have been since I was old enough to watch TV and understan dwhat they were saying. Watch ToS, TNG, saw all the films at the cinema etc.

I was not let down nor did anyone say "fuck you" to me.
  • GuiltySpark 27 May 2013 11:25:26 6,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a completely different generation now. These films will be of the aesthetic of their period (aka, now), not of fifty years ago.

It's natural, and Star Trek was stagnant and needed an update. It makes perfect sense, and they are in no way bad films.

They even included a storyline whereby they implicitly state that everything that happened, happened. You can't get much more damn fan servicing than that for a reboot.

Get bent.

• GuiltySpark 27 May 2013 11:26:45 6,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can't moan about this in the same way that you can moan about the Star Wars prequels, for example.

Get bent.

• DFawkes 27 May 2013 11:30:45 24,047 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still think it's a great film, and it certainly has most of what I know and love about Trek . As far as keeping it as Trek as possible whilst making it accessible and entertaining goes, I think they've done a great job. I'm not sure if they could do much better, really.

It'd certainly be silly to disregard and not watch them because you think they're not what you'd want from a Trek film. Sure, watch it then despise it with such hatred it makes your ears bleed if you want, but they're worth watching to at least find out :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Page

of 179 First / Last