New Star Trek Page 166

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 11 May 2013 10:54:00 6,991 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Please don't tell me we're going to have pages of people going on about lens flare again.
  • sega 11 May 2013 10:56:00 762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @altitude2k I think the difference with Pike is that they went through a lot of trouble to rescue him in the last film. He was also Kirk's mentor and the one who set him on his path, so there's a lot of history between the two there. I don't think it's so much screen time, but rather history the characters have had together. By this film Kirk and Spock have only been out with the Enterprise a couple of times and they've probably known some of the red shirts longer at this point.

Edited by sega at 10:56:49 11-05-2013
  • altitude2k 11 May 2013 11:05:14 3,853 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sega wrote:
    @altitude2k I think the difference with Pike is that they went through a lot of trouble to rescue him in the last film. He was also Kirk's mentor and the one who set him on his path, so there's a lot of history between the two there. I don't think it's so much screen time, but rather history the characters have had together. By this film Kirk and Spock have only been out with the Enterprise a couple of times and they've probably known some of the red shirts longer at this point.
    Totally. It was a bit like Kirk was losing another father.
  • morriss 11 May 2013 11:25:29 70,911 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Please don't tell me we're going to have pages of people going on about lens flare again.
  • OptimusPube 11 May 2013 12:03:51 2,910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just booked to see Into Darkness for half one today. Can't. Wait.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• CharlieStCloud 11 May 2013 13:00:09 5,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Saw it this morning.

... I fecking hope Abrams keep his lens flare shit out of the new Star Wars but other than that, it was jolly good romp; plenty of action and the hasty pacing made the few hours fly by. I am not a Star Trek fan by any means so, story wise, it had little impact on me to be honest.

Sherlock Holmes was the best thing about it all though!

6/10
  • OptimusPube 11 May 2013 16:40:51 2,910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well just got back, holy fuck balls it was amazing.

Into Darkness: 10/10

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Deleted user 11 May 2013 17:05:20
    midnight_walker wrote:
    Overall I really enjoyed it, but I'm a bit disappointed that they took so much 'inspiration' from TWOK. I was really hoping this new breed of Trek would kind of carve out its own path and have its own stories to tell. I successfully avoided spoilers until I saw it, but it was clear fairly early on that John Harrison was Khan because I already know Trek and that shouldn't be the case - I still want to be surprised. Also Kirk's 'death' was nowhere near as impactful as old Spock's because we already know the true outcome, and even without that being the case I just don't think it was done as well as in TWOK.
    I think the last point is partly down to there not being all that history you, as a viewer, have with that character (different actor, different character) but you are right that it wasn't done very well. There was no real emotion or sense of peril in what was going on.
  • Steve_Perry 11 May 2013 18:33:02 3,625 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just seen it.

Pretty good popcorn flick. The action, characters and pace are all great. The effects are great, the Enterprise feels like it has a bit of character in this, rather than just being a set like in the first film.

Sadly, I can't remember hardly any of the story after an hour. Its all in one ear and our the other. Lots of WoK pandering and not much in the way of an original story. Cumberbatch is good, but I never really believed he was Khan for some reason. They should have just left him as John Harrison it would have been more interesting. The Klingons - Probably my favourite bit of the film. The birds of prey were great and the make up on the main Klingon dude was excellent. Every plot twist you could see a mile away.

The use of the transporter in theses new Trek films is a joke though. They either work/don't work/can transport you to a ship at warp/to another planet light years away depending on the particular need of the narrative. Chekov cant beam up Khan and Spock because they are moving too fast, yet earlier in the film someone beams TO ANOTHER FUCKING PLANET (planets move pretty fast too). Highly illogical.

A good film, and like the first, I enjoyed it but it could be so much better. I hope a new writer and director get a crack at the third one. They need to stop with the fan service and create an original story. Oh and Spocks KHAAAAAAAN. lol.

Edited by Steve_Perry at 18:39:38 11-05-2013

VIVA STEFANSEN

• RobAnybody 11 May 2013 19:06:52 882 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Isn't it the only thing worth talking about? ;)
  • Jacksie66 12 May 2013 00:27:56 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just saw it there an hour ago. My verdict... Shite.
    I'll give it 1/5.
    Simon peggs Scotty
    The whole Kahn shit
    The terrible Klingons getting slaughtered
    Kahhhhnnnnnnnn
    Simon pegg
    The god dam tribble
    Kirks woeful death....

I'm a massive star trek fan. This wasn't star trek for me. Just a shit Hollywood cash in.

Edited by Jacksie66 at 00:28:59 12-05-2013
  • GrandpaUlrira 12 May 2013 00:49:25 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When the emotional centre of your film reads like a terrible parody you messed up. The 'Khaaaan!' stuff was laughable. Easily worse the the Darth Vader 'Noooooo!' The more I think about Into Darkness the worse it gets.
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 01:40:49
    I'll rate the lens flare a 8/10

Who needs fucking bonfire night
  • varsas 12 May 2013 12:01:10 2,401 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw it yesterday afternoon and loved it like the first; I had less problem with the plot than the first where I didn't like the red matter macguffin.

There was much less lens flare in this one too and generally restricted to the enterprise bridge.
  • stephenb 12 May 2013 16:40:26 2,731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite enjoyed it. Special effects and set pieces were very good Khan and Kirks zero g foray was spectacular in 3D. It does seem to be a bit Star Trek Lite at times.

Every star system seems to be 60 seconds away from each other by warp as the editing of the film gives no real indication of time passing as they travel to another destination.

It's amusing that the tech is so far in advance of the orginal series, all though maybe old Spock is giving them a few pointers, save for the flip open communicators.

The transwarp beaming is a bit too convenient for advancing a plot. On the whole though a solid 8/10. But , KHANNNNN!!!!
    oh dear!

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• McGeeza 12 May 2013 16:59:52 928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sega wrote:
    @midnight_walker I probably hated that part the most. In Wrath of Khan, the Spock that sacrifices himself and does the "friend" speech is an older guy who we've shared three TV series and one movie with. In this film we've just had one movie with them bickering at each other and the only revelation that they're now friends in the opening scene. It just has nowhere near the same impact and probably shouldn't have been attempted for that reason.

I've also not been able to figure out why Khan is so much younger (forgetting he's also a different race) - did they explain it and I just missed it? In the original TV series, Khan is frozen at about 50 years old long before this timeline change occurs. Why is he now considerably younger? He should be exactly the same age he was in the original TV series, right?
    It's because this film is a 'reimagining' of Star Seed (the TV episode), not WoK, which is why I was expecting them to drop Khan & co off at the death world, as punishment, at the end of the film.

Edit actually it combines the two of them I suppose, but you get the idea

Edited by McGeeza at 17:02:58 12-05-2013
  • GrandpaUlrira 12 May 2013 17:22:57 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Space Seed, you mean? :-)

I completely agree about how small the universe feels. There's not really much trekking going on, and the transwarp beaming is so far in advance of travel technology established in other Trek it's almost ridiculous.

For a starfleet there only seemed to be two ships, and one of those was built in secret.
  • stephenb 12 May 2013 17:32:39 2,731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Near the end during Kirk's death scene it lost all emotional impact for two reasons. First we have no real attachment to the actors as they've only been in one previous film together. Secondly Khan's blood healing the child and Bones experimenting with the tribble, meant I spent the entire scene thinking 'well you'll be cured in half an hour matey'

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• beastmaster 12 May 2013 17:38:25 11,191 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep. Would be much better if they had the balls to keep Kirk dead.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 12 May 2013 17:47:37
    I get the impression there is no realistic treatment of the tech.

They just use the tech or reinvent it to suit the plot, patch plot holes and keep it moving.

I feel JJ Abrams is the worse thing to happen to trek to be honest.

the casting is actually spot on its the scripting and action at all cost directing which drowns the Trek essence out. Sometimes lets just have the cast having time to breath and interact, rather than flying here there and everywhere at 100 miles an hour.

The whole reboot issue feels confused I don't think Abrams knows what to do with the new Trek world. Either reinvent the timeline completely or adjust it and play homage.

Either way its sci-fi for the American teenage masses and rather half arsed.
  • sega 12 May 2013 18:14:39 762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:

It's because this film is a 'reimagining' of Star Seed (the TV episode), not WoK, which is why I was expecting them to drop Khan & co off at the death world, as punishment, at the end of the film.

Edit actually it combines the two of them I suppose, but you get the idea
    Well when I said about Khan being about 50 I meant Space Seed as opposed to Wrath Of Khan, where he looks closer to 70. I'm pretty sure he should be about 50 in this too - older, even, since he was obviously thawed out years earlier to the events in this movie. I supposed he could have had surgery to look younger (Doc Brown style) but I didn't see this guy as Khan. Maybe that was the point to completely throw us off. I don't know.

Edited by sega at 18:15:36 12-05-2013
  • Steve_Perry 12 May 2013 19:07:59 3,625 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I went in with zero expectations after the first one and enjoyed it. Not that fussed about new trek, but its better than nowt trek.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Scurrminator 12 May 2013 20:32:28 8,387 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really wanted to love this but it just felt a bit...meh. My love of Trek meant I enjoyed it but I certainly don't feel it was as good as the last film.
    Sherlock was good as we're the effects. But due to them being so secretive about it all I'd feverishly hunted down spoilers and ruined it for myself. Sad face.
    The Klingons were pretty awesome Batleth!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• gammonbanter 12 May 2013 20:44:03 1,486 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's time to let Seth Macfarlane have a go at a proper ST TV show and let the big budget films look pretty and coin in the cash.

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• captbirdseye 12 May 2013 20:49:13 4,787 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I doubt we'll ever see a 'proper' Trek show ever again as people are just not interested in it anymore . If we did see a show it would certainly follow the films look and feel.

Edited by captbirdseye at 20:50:36 12-05-2013
  • Steve_Perry 12 May 2013 21:59:51 3,625 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dunno. Tng wasn't like the movies at the time. Its more about having a good idea for a show. As a trek fan of 20 years I can't think of a single decent and economically viable idea for a show.

Voyager and Enterprise were utter cack. I would rather have just the new films rather than another hopeless tv premise like those.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• RichieTenenbaum 12 May 2013 22:42:37 2,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm sure I've said it before, but a Trek show from the viewpoint of a shipping vessel would be good. Kind of the other side of the view screen.

They could contrast what it's like being a civillian in this universe. Maybe it's a bit shitty and Starfleet don't look so rosy when you're outside looking in. Maybe they save a former Starfleet cadet from a slave house as their visiting a system. And he contrasts the lifestyles. And they can talk about how sometimes Starfleet leave their redshirts behind.

Maybe they can explore religion a bit more. Maybe have a crew member who has taken a vow of silence. Maybe later on in the series it's revealed he can talk, that he's morally grey. Maybe a guest character hears him talk and he kills them.

Maybe the tech is a bit backwards. Maybe at one point they're being attacked and the cadet suggests rerouting power from life support to the engines to escape. And then they run about the ship frantically pulling leavers and switchboxes becuase they have to MANUALLY re route power. Maybe that would be a fun, cool and exciting.

Maybe in the pilot they could be contacted by a shadowy Starfleet general who wants them to deliver a device deep inside Romulan space. But he won't tell them what it is. Maybe they don't want to know. Then they learn that it's a weapon to end a civil war. And there's some kind of over arching plot becuase of that.

I dunno. I haven't really given it much thought.
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 22:45:17
    THE EXCITING ADVENTURES OF A SHIPPING VESSEL

WATCH IN AWE AS THEY GO OVER THE MANIFESTO

CRINGE IN DELIGHT AS THE AUDIT THE CARGO

SHARE THE ADVENTURE AS THEY TRANSFER THE GOODS AND GET SOMEONE IN CHARGE TO SIGN THE FORMS
  • cubbymoore 12 May 2013 22:59:07 36,468 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "sorry, mate,  I'm not authorised to do that"

"who is?"

"management upstairs, a guy called Gary I think."

"okay, thanks, those doors there? Great, see ya"

"bye!"

"right, back to work then"
  • Whizzo 12 May 2013 22:59:39 43,038 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago