New Star Trek Page 165

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• riz23 10 May 2013 16:03:17 1,252 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, those lights are post. Maybe some of it might be 'live' but that blue you see a lot and the bulk of the 'glitz' is all done afterwards

EDIT: to back up the duffman here is a vid of JJ Abrams mucking about with said torch.

Edited by riz23 at 16:15:53 10-05-2013
  • sega 10 May 2013 16:53:05 796 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 @Riz23 my apologies, I tried my best not to give anything away but it's pretty hard with a film like this. I'll go back and add some spoiler tags to the post now, even though a little late for you guys. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the movie for you.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2013 16:57:14
    Sorry but the lens flare is fucking laughable, they all need friggin RayBans on the amount of glare on that bridge.

There is one scene with spock on a console and the light coming off it is like a fucking solar flare, never mind a lens flare.

Either way it makes a great drinking game.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2013 16:58:39
    Sorry but if you hang around a thread of people chatting about the latest trek film after its release then you can just fuck off with your spoiler whinnings.

Don't wanna know then come back when you have watched it
  • spindizzy 10 May 2013 17:00:57 6,435 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    So after all the weird internet mewlings, it turns out Cumberbatch is Khan then. Ah well.
    Oh bugger. If ever there was a spoiler tag not to absent-mindedly click on, that was it. :-(

My stupid fault though ... not blaming anyone else...
  • beastmaster 10 May 2013 17:11:28 11,316 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• BinaryBob101 10 May 2013 17:33:32 22,635 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pfft.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• BinaryBob101 10 May 2013 17:35:24 22,635 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Sorry but if you hang around a thread of people chatting about the latest trek film after its release then you can just fuck off with your spoiler whinnings.

Don't be a twat, it's only been out a day.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:

• fletch7100 10 May 2013 17:36:49 7,206 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's an enjoyable blockbuster film, some parts straight off the cliche production line.

Enjoyable performance by the 3 main actors,BC in particular. Some of the others underused or just not convincing.

Special effect set pieces were enjoyable, didn't really notice the lens flare, unless my version is getting worse and automatically filtering those out. Nothing like the being blinded first time you are on the command deck in the opening minutes of the first film.

Worse part was some couple in the cinema kept talking throughout the film, quiet part of the movie dealing with character progression and could just hear her whining about work.

Very enjoyable film, now to either watch Dredd or I have just noticed Hackers is on Netflix

Edited by fletch7100 at 17:38:56 10-05-2013
  • BinaryBob101 10 May 2013 17:42:57 22,635 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dredd. No question.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:

• brokenkey 10 May 2013 18:47:01 6,983 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Unfortunate turn of phrase?! That was deliberate and I spelt it out as well! :-P
    Well you lost me. Never heard of that phrase before.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• altitude2k 10 May 2013 19:02:21 4,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    espibara wrote:

Don't be a twat, it's only been out a day.
    It was a bit rude, but I'm inclined to agree. If you want it to remain unspoiled then simply steer clear of anywhere likely to spoil it - like a thread full of people who have seen it. It's not difficult, and very naive to think otherwise.

Was good. As people have said, a bit cliché-ridden, and the biggest spoiler everyone saw a mile off anyway. I felt the end was a bit flat considering how brutal John Harrison was. I'm wondering if anyone else felt the end was a touch rushed, and for the sake of another 30 minutes (or some trimming the fat elsewhere) they could have really ramped up the tension and bring it to a more satisfying conclusion. I was actually surprised when it finished, truth be told.

But still, I'd be lying if I said I didn't really enjoy it.

Edited by altitude2k at 19:03:48 10-05-2013
  • Whizzo 10 May 2013 20:36:05 43,088 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    Unfortunate turn of phrase?! That was deliberate and I spelt it out as well! :-P
    We'll you've learnt a classic writing trope, so that's something! :-)

This space left intentionally blank.

• Jacksie66 10 May 2013 20:41:34 572 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just finished watching trek 1-6 all over again last night. I forgot how good The Undiscovered Country is.
    If I were to put em in order I'd go 2,6,4,3,1,5.

Edited by Jacksie66 at 20:41:59 10-05-2013
  • ZuluHero 10 May 2013 21:01:54 4,099 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    We'll you've learnt a classic writing trope, so that's something! :-)
    Set phrases to stun next time ;)

Edited by ZuluHero at 21:03:20 10-05-2013
  • Whizzo 10 May 2013 21:10:18 43,088 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooh very good!

This space left intentionally blank.

• McGeeza 10 May 2013 21:13:38 932 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agreed that the end was a bit abrupt. I was expecting a scene where they marooned 'Harrison' and his people on the death world as punishment, thus setting up a future sequel, a la you-know-what.

But maybe they decided that was a lump of camembert too much.
  • Bremenacht 10 May 2013 22:40:09 17,777 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    meme wrote:
    So after all the weird internet mewlings, S P O I L E R
    Oh bugger. If ever there was a spoiler tag not to absent-mindedly click on, that was it. :-(

My stupid fault though ... not blaming anyone else...
    Oh shit. I've just looked.
  • philreeduk 10 May 2013 22:46:13 283 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    God this movie is frustrating. Its a good action movie and if you switch your brain off a good ride. But, in the last 5 minutes when he does a similar trick which he pulled in MI:3 and fades to black in a key scene (Fight between Khan and Spock), that shit is annoying. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth, especially after the movie got other things so right Khan, red shirt references etc.

Edited by philreeduk at 23:43:49 10-05-2013
  • philreeduk 10 May 2013 22:51:24 283 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    P.S everyone who is going to see this movie there is no extra scene at the end. Don't be a numpty like me and wait around! :p
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 May 2013 23:38:36 39,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    philreeduk wrote:
    P.S everyone who is going to see this movie there is no extra scene at the end. Don't be a numpty like me and wait around! :p
    Yeah I made that mistake too. :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• RyanDS 10 May 2013 23:48:25 9,205 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Regarding 3d, I sat around for 5 minutes after the end of the movie with my jaw dropping at the 3d images. Screw the movie, the credits alone justified 3d in the movie and I was amazed at how good they looked.
  • gammonbanter 11 May 2013 00:25:50 1,496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Man, I really enjoyed;

- the opening scene,
    - how London looked,
    - every shot of the Enterprise was just beautiful,
    - Spock breaking Harrison's arm,
    - feline alien girls - classic,
    - Section 31 reference, even though they kinda messed that up a bit,
    - New look birds of prey are sexy, although I think they would be forgettable if not used in comparison to the originals - does that make sense?

was disappointed with;
    - Khaaaaaaaaannnnn!!!! That was bad
    - transwarp teleporting is the worst plot device ever. Why have a star-ship when you can beem 50 light years away instantly - fuckin' hell
    - Hats!?! /0\
    - I don't "buy" how Spock fooled Khan

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• midnight_walker 11 May 2013 09:22:23 1,923 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Overall I really enjoyed it, but I'm a bit disappointed that they took so much 'inspiration' from TWOK. I was really hoping this new breed of Trek would kind of carve out its own path and have its own stories to tell. I successfully avoided spoilers until I saw it, but it was clear fairly early on that John Harrison was Khan because I already know Trek and that shouldn't be the case - I still want to be surprised. Also Kirk's 'death' was nowhere near as impactful as old Spock's because we already know the true outcome, and even without that being the case I just don't think it was done as well as in TWOK.
  • gammonbanter 11 May 2013 09:42:19 1,496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @midnight_walker

It just didn't need to be done - came of a half arsed, ill thought out! I could actually sense peoples discomfort at this scene in the cinema last night.

Still - Enterprise falling through the atmosphere was awesome

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• midnight_walker 11 May 2013 09:55:53 1,923 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @gammonbanter Agreed, 100%. Felt like it was done just because that's the way it was in the old Khan film.

All that said though, I still enjoyed it. I just hope that's it now for the homages. I'm a huge Trek fan but I really felt like the 'first' film was a fantastic fan service and that really should have been it. They should have moved on and gone with an entirely new story. Still, they're going to have to do that with the next film , given how Kirk doesn't need to be Genesis deviced, so I'm looking forward to that one on that basis alone.
  • gammonbanter 11 May 2013 10:04:09 1,496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They still might have to go to San Francisco 2015 and fish a whale out of the sea!

Hopefully now, they've set up the Klingons nicely........

• sega 11 May 2013 10:04:47 796 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @midnight_walker I probably hated that part the most. In Wrath of Khan, the Spock that sacrifices himself and does the "friend" speech is an older guy who we've shared three TV series and one movie with. In this film we've just had one movie with them bickering at each other and the only revelation that they're now friends in the opening scene. It just has nowhere near the same impact and probably shouldn't have been attempted for that reason.

I've also not been able to figure out why Khan is so much younger (forgetting he's also a different race) - did they explain it and I just missed it? In the original TV series, Khan is frozen at about 50 years old long before this timeline change occurs. Why is he now considerably younger? He should be exactly the same age he was in the original TV series, right?
  • altitude2k 11 May 2013 10:44:56 4,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree, we haven't had enough time with this crew for a death to be impactful like that, nor have Kirk and Spock been together long enough for Spock's rage and crying to be reasonably justified. Although thinking about it, I felt the emotional hit when Pike died...odd.

Also, was anyone else a touch disappointed that the Enterprise didn't get destroyed? After seeing the Dreadnought-class, I was hoping that the crew would be upgraded earlier to a bigger and more badass Enterprise-A.

Edited by altitude2k at 10:52:43 11-05-2013
  • altitude2k 11 May 2013 10:51:55 4,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also, you know what's not good? Lens flare in 3D. Doesn't really work.
  • Page

of 179 First / Last