New Star Trek Page 159

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Apr 2013 09:57:53 38,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Let's just face it. This is just going to be a by the numbers action sequel.

BIGGER EXPLOSIONS
    BIGGER SHIPS
    BIGGER MILD PERIL
    BIGGER TITS

It's going to be shit and I don't mean that in an anti-hype kind of way. I mean it's just another watchable action film now. It's probably going to end up like a space version of fast and furious. Which is ok, but it's not the star trek we all loved.

I hope I'm wrong but the trailers do make it seem like just another action film now.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 09:59:12 30-04-2013

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LeoliansBro 30 Apr 2013 09:58:58 41,865 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep. I'm OK with a new direction (and God knows Trek needed one!) but it would be nice if it had something to say.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 10:02:39 55,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its a series of films, it says as much as it can in 90 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 30 Apr 2013 10:04:03 25,414 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The just need to concentrate on degaying it at the minute. And Star Trek needs A LOT of degaying.

Called it

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Apr 2013 10:04:52 38,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It'd be nice if they degayed it AND gave it something to say apart from BOOOM! LENS FLARE BOOM! :)

• Jacksie66 30 Apr 2013 11:04:40 572 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I aint watching shit between now and next week. I shall start by watching the motion picture...on Thursday night.
    Watch the motion picture without the shit shit CGI that they added to the special edition.
    I nearly fucked my dvd out the window when I saw it..
  • Steve_Perry 30 Apr 2013 11:10:53 2,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm good with the new direction too. Its better than no trek imo.

Still, it should be so much better than an action flick in space. It's not far off the likes of Transformers and Fast 5 really. Just a load of action and no story.

Hope this new one proves me wrong, but it won't. Not seen a decent story come from from this writing team yet.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• CosmicFuzz 30 Apr 2013 11:12:22 21,241 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish the bluray had the director's cut of TMP. Meant to be better isn't it? Although I hope the 10 minute, sexually charged shuttle ride is still intact.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• varsas 30 Apr 2013 12:54:43 2,373 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    I'm good with the new direction too. Its better than no trek imo.

Still, it should be so much better than an action flick in space. It's not far off the likes of Transformers and Fast 5 really. Just a load of action and no story.

Hope this new one proves me wrong, but it won't. Not seen a decent story come from from this writing team yet.
    Not far off Transformers and Fast 5!?!

Kurtzman and Orci created Fringe and that show has excellent storytelling.

Edited by varsas at 12:56:15 30-04-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Apr 2013 12:56:52 38,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well it's not is it?

• varsas 30 Apr 2013 12:59:02 2,373 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's miles away from both of those; it's like saying Transformers and Fast 5 are the same as any of the Marvel films.
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Apr 2013 13:00:11 38,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In what way is it better?

• varsas 30 Apr 2013 13:01:47 2,373 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aside from the action the characters are fun to watch, they have good dialogue and interesting relationships.

Edited by varsas at 13:03:22 30-04-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Apr 2013 13:04:12 21,241 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah new trek may be very different to old trek but it's miles ahead of transformers and fast 5.

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Apr 2013 13:10:00 38,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    Aside from the action the characters are fun to watch, they have good dialogue and interesting relationships.
    Kirk and Spock do.

The others are just randoms so far.

• Dizzy 30 Apr 2013 13:15:18 2,443 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Let's just face it. This is just going to be a by the numbers action sequel.

BIGGER EXPLOSIONS
    BIGGER SHIPS
    BIGGER MILD PERIL
    BIGGER TITS

It's going to be shit and I don't mean that in an anti-hype kind of way. I mean it's just another watchable action film now. It's probably going to end up like a space version of fast and furious. Which is ok, but it's not the star trek we all loved.

I hope I'm wrong but the trailers do make it seem like just another action film now.
    Yeah you are probably right.

But bigger tits is never a bad thing ;)
  • varsas 30 Apr 2013 13:20:13 2,373 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    varsas wrote:
    Kirk and Spock do.

That is the main one but I think Kirk's relationship to McCoy and Uhura played out well; as did Spock's with Uhura and McCoy. In fact I think I liked McCoy the most because of his lines and cynical nature in the first film.

Edited by varsas at 13:24:09 30-04-2013
  • Scurrminator Moderator 30 Apr 2013 13:21:05 8,286 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz or it wasn't in 3D and you should have removed the glasses!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Apr 2013 13:28:07 38,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    varsas wrote:
    Kirk and Spock do.

That is the main one but I think Kirk's relationship to McCoy and Uhura played out well; as did Spock's with Uhura and McCoy. In fact I think I liked McCoy the most because of his lines and cynical nature in the first film.
    I think the McCoy/ Spock relationship was actually glazed over too much. They didn't really say much to each other.

It needs to evolve beyond action to be up there with the best Star Trek.

I'm not saying it's a shit film on it's own. It's ok, it's just nothing special....just like Transformers and Fast 5 :)

• Steve_Perry 30 Apr 2013 13:28:43 2,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The dialogue is pap for the most part. The story in the first one was utter nonsense by any standards. It got by on nostalgia, superb effects and direction by Abrams.

In terms of characters, dialogue and plot, I would stand by what I said. Not much better than Fast and Furious really.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• LeoliansBro 30 Apr 2013 13:29:59 41,865 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The promotions in the first film were ridiculous. Totally removed any sense of gravity and seriousness.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 13:31:05 55,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was a 5 or so minute clip from Fast 6 before Iron Man 3 which would go a long way to disprove your point. It looks absolute fucking garbage.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Steve_Perry 30 Apr 2013 13:32:17 2,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not seen as F/F film since the first. But I think my point stands still in the context presented.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• StarchildHypocrethes 30 Apr 2013 13:35:27 24,561 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The main annoyance with the writing in the first was how they completely over-killed "dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a..."

Entertaining the first time. Not so much the 15th time in half an hour.
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Apr 2013 13:36:37 38,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I loved the reboot when I first watched it. Mainly cause I was just so damn glad to have Star Trek back in any form.

However the more I watch it, the more it's just another action film. Please remember I'm not saying it's a shit film, it's not it's just not up to what I think Star Trek should be.

To sum up my feelings the below quote grated with me.
    You understand what the Federation is, don't you? It's important. It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...
    It's Starfleet you cumguzzling twat! :p

• varsas 30 Apr 2013 13:38:40 2,373 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I'm not saying it's a shit film on it's own. It's ok, it's just nothing special....just like Transformers and Fast 5 :)
    Lol! :evil:

Steve_Perry wrote:
    Not seen as F/F film since the first. But I think my point stands still in the context presented.
    Having only recently seen my first FF film, also the first one, I really cannot understand putting Star Trek in the same universe as that film/series.

Edited by varsas at 13:39:36 30-04-2013
  • varsas 30 Apr 2013 13:41:53 2,373 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I loved the reboot when I first watched it. Mainly cause I was just so damn glad to have Star Trek back in any form.

However the more I watch it, the more it's just another action film. Please remember I'm not saying it's a shit film, it's not it's just not up to what I think Star Trek should be.

To sum up my feelings the below quote grated with me.
    You understand what the Federation is, don't you? It's important. It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...
    It's Starfleet you cumguzzling twat! :p
    I still enjoy it when re-watching and I agree it's not up to what Star Trek should be but I think making it a film with more action was the right move, the buzz coming out of the film was something I hadn't felt in a long time, it just needs to come back a bit now to what ST is about.

Edited by varsas at 13:42:54 30-04-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Apr 2013 13:43:07 38,899 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's because FF is just a decent action film with lot's of action. No need to think.

• CosmicFuzz 30 Apr 2013 13:47:30 21,241 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with varsas, I think Trek needed that kind of kick up the arse but it would be nice to have the sort of old school mentality a bit. Just for thongs to slow down a little, WoK battle, mutara nebula styleee.

Maybe it'll be like batman, JJ gets his shot at making a few films in one style, then a break and come back with tonally different stuff. I just really, really, really would love if we ended up with trek back on the TV at some point.

• Whizzo 30 Apr 2013 13:47:51 42,760 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    There was a 5 or so minute clip from Fast 6 before Iron Man 3 which would go a long way to disprove your point. It looks absolute fucking garbage.
    I actually found it pretty offensive. I know it's a mindless action movie but when a fucking big tank is just driving over and flattening innocent civilian traffic and absolutely no-one seems to give a shit I rethought any idea of going along to see it even with my Unlimited card making it "free".

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 179 First / Last