Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    And Simon Peggs Scottish accent is still abismal. :/
    Odd given his wife is Scottish iirc.
  • Whizzo 23 Apr 2013 09:46:39 42,758 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Surely rendering a volcano inert on a pre-warp planet is a big Prime Directive violation in the first place? Hmm...

All I could think of in the closing zoom was seeing Urban's chin and thinking what may have been. :-(

Edited by Whizzo at 09:47:50 23-04-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 09:48:11 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its a nod to the 'prime universe' where the prime directive is smashed to tiny pieces any time the story requires it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Ranger_Ryu 23 Apr 2013 09:51:29 972 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Voyager is one big Prime Directive Violation they seemed to break it every other week :p

Edited by Ranger_Ryu at 09:51:40 23-04-2013
  • LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 09:54:09 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe Picard was just an arsehole.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Jacksie66 23 Apr 2013 09:56:56 572 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Maybe Picard was just an arsehole.
    You blasphemous cretin. ..
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 09:57:24 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didnt voyager have an episode where they have a directive that outranks the prime directive? If some particles show up, they have to destroy them, regardless of what/who is in the way or something like that.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 09:58:03 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pre-warp population of billions: We're dying, could you just move that container of antidote an inch to your left where we can reach it.

Picard: nope /sips tea

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 09:58:20 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Picards record, by the end of TNGs run was 2 prime directive violations per series.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 10:00:10 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    His film record is even more chequered. Gets angry about it in Generations, does it in First Contact (with pre-warp Earth, no less), gets angry about it in Insurrection, does it in Nemesis.

• sega 23 Apr 2013 10:02:57 523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think the Klingons would have gotten hold of Khan because it's still too early in the timeline for him to drift into Klingon space (plus the time they'd need to do experiments on him and also the fact he still seems too young).

My theory from the trailer is that the villain is Picard (obviously from the future), if he's not simply a guy called John Harrison. If he really is an established character and not a new one, Picard is the only one who fits the bill (unless you count minor characters from the original series). He talks about the duties of being a captain, he's Starfleet and well trained, he has a huge Federation ship (way bigger than the current flagship?) and his accent sounds exactly like Patrick Stewart's.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain it's not Khan. I think if they say he's Starfleet in the trailers, he most likely is a character that has been Starfleet. There's not much reason to throw everyone way off Khan and then just reveal it's actually him. It'd not only be pretty disappointing and too predictable, but also a case of needlessly changing everything about a character just to fool us on a name reveal.

Personally I can't think of anything cooler than answering that age old question - who would win in a fight between Kirk and Picard? Sure more exciting than revealing a guy's real name is Khan.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 10:04:55 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thing that shoots a hole in that is Picard generally cant jump 30 feet from platform to platform.

Also, they would never, ever let anyone besmirch his good name.

He totally called it

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Apr 2013 10:08:28 38,857 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When the fuck did we decide Picard was in this?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 10:09:18 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Approximately three posts ago.

He totally called it

• M83J01P97 23 Apr 2013 10:09:45 6,383 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They would never show the Picard character as a villain, that would be like one big Middle Finger to the fans...
  • Ranger_Ryu 23 Apr 2013 10:13:18 972 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @nickthegun

the Omega Directive which allowed Starfleet to basically ignore the law in order to destroy Omega Particles at any cost.
  • Roddles 23 Apr 2013 10:13:32 1,427 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cracking episode that.
  • SClaw 23 Apr 2013 10:18:17 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sega wrote:
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain it's not Khan. I think if they say he's Starfleet in the trailers, he most likely is a character that has been Starfleet. There's not much reason to throw everyone way off Khan and then just reveal it's actually him. It'd not only be pretty disappointing and too predictable, but also a case of needlessly changing everything about a character just to fool us on a name reveal.
    If you've seen the extended IMAX trailer thingy which was shown before... eh... the Hobbit I think... then you'll see "John Harrison" bribing some Federation guy with a cure for his sick kid (or about too). Assuming that happens at the start, it's not a big stretch to imagine that Federation guy helping him (whoever he is) infilrate Star Fleet.

But hell... it would be an epic burn if it was Picard. That's a terrible, terrible idea but I think I'd actually enjoy watching that for the massive tekkie rage that would explode after seeing it.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 10:19:35 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah yeah, when they explode they negated sub-space so ships cant warp through the area.

He totally called it

• sega 23 Apr 2013 10:26:16 523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    They would never show the Picard character as a villain, that would be like one big Middle Finger to the fans...
    Would it? I'm not a die hard Trek fan but I think it'd be extremely cool. After all, it's an alternate reality and it'd be great to see how Picard ends up and what happens to the Next Generation future in this timeline.

To be honest, I'd assume John Harrsion is just an all new villain, but since they've said he's an established character we have to see who measures up. Picard just seems to fit the bill way more than Khan, unless you guys have more theories? I'm just speculating.
  • M83J01P97 23 Apr 2013 10:30:52 6,383 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picard wouldn't be a young man in the days of Kirk for a start. He would, at a push be a young teenager.
  • LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 10:30:54 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    What, like in Nemesis?

• Scurrminator Moderator 23 Apr 2013 10:31:53 8,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    sega wrote:
    If you've seen the extended IMAX trailer thingy which was shown before... eh... the Hobbit I think... then you'll see "John Harrison" bribing some Federation guy with a cure for his sick kid (or about too). Assuming that happens at the start, it's not a big stretch to imagine that Federation guy helping him (whoever he is) infilrate Star Fleet.

But hell... it would be an epic burn if it was Picard. That's a terrible, terrible idea but I think I'd actually enjoy watching that for the massive tekkie rage that would explode after seeing it.
    That chap that he speaks to at the start (now moved to after the title sequence)really won't be helping him for too much of the film!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Scurrminator Moderator 23 Apr 2013 10:32:42 8,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They've also said that the destruction of Vulcan would have an effect on this film so maybe tied into that?

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• sega 23 Apr 2013 10:32:59 523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @M83J01P97 Aye very true, that's why I said from the future. Hence the giant Federation ship he has.
  • Whizzo 23 Apr 2013 10:33:08 42,758 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kirk is more than 70 years older than Picard, this is the most bizarre direction about just who John Harrison is I've seen!

This space left intentionally blank.

• LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 10:34:05 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picard was an arrogant numpty, all cocky and twattish before he got knifed by the Nausicaans anyway.

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 10:35:18 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its so clearly Khan that its barely worth discussing.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 10:37:26 41,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its so clearly Khan that its barely worth discussing.
    Well, yes, can't argue with this.

• sega 23 Apr 2013 10:40:33 523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    They've also said that the destruction of Vulcan would have an effect on this film so maybe tied into that?
    I don't know much about Star Trek history, but what role do the Vulcans have in between the original series and The Next Generation? Perhaps they were integral to the peace between the Federation and the Klingon empire?
  • Page

of 179 First / Last